Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2012 Pot of Gold New Orleans & Metairie Saturday March 17

Posted by Anonymous User 
And now some information about the courses played for the 2012 Pot Of Gold.

First, Lafreniere Park. Where it all started for NO Team back in 1983. Yes, 9 of the baskets at Lafreniere are still there catching discs as they have been since 1983, 29 years ago! And they are still in great shape, but you might not want to putt as hard on them. They like a soft touch. A little foreplay if you will. A little tender loving. Be gentle.

Lafreniere Park for the first time in years has the hole distances actually on the tee signs. It was difficult to keep updating the tee signs when the park forced us to redesign the course 6 times in the 6 years after Katrina, but now we think we will not have to do huge design changes for a while. NO Team will continue to tweak things here and there to improve the course as it evolves.

So, while a few holes at Lafreniere this year are the same as last year, most are not. Let's preview the 3 Mandos on the course and define what is OB out there (and as an added bonus, identify the 4 holes where to take bathroom breaks):

Hole 1: The lagoon is OB. On or across the sidewalk is OB. Shelter 3 where the bands will be playing is OB. The waterfall is OB (surrounded by water/rocks). We have ordered a Port-a-Potty to be placed 150 feet to the left of the teebox. Next bathroom stop is Hole 10. Faucet water is available by Shelter 3.

Hole 2: The lagoon is OB. On or across the sidewalk is OB. Shelter 3 where the bands will be playing is OB. The waterfall is OB (surrounded by water/rocks).

Hole 3: No OB

Hole 4: The lagoon is OB. On or across the sidewalk is OB.

Hole 5: The lagoon is OB. On or across the sidewalk is OB. Shelter 6 is OB. It is legal to tee off from the concrete to the left of the tee.

Hole 6: The lagoon is OB. On or across the sidewalk is OB.

Hole 7: MANDO to the left of the marked tree about halfway down the fairway of this 482 foot hole. If you miss the mando, play from the drop zone to the left of the Mando tree. On or across the sidewalk/road is OB. Shelter 4 is OB. Faucet water is available by Shelter 4.

Hole 8: On or across the sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 9: On or across the sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 10: On or across the sidewalk is OB. There is a bathroom 275 feet to the right of the tee. Next bathroom stop is Hole 16. Drinking fountain at Shelter 5 by the teebox.

Hole 11: MANDO to the left of the marked tree. Drop zone is to the left of the Mando tree. On or across the sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 12: MANDO to the right of the marked tree. Drop zone is to the right of the Mando tree. On or across the road is OB. Soccer field is OB.

Hole 13: Soccer field is OB. On or across walking track is OB.

Hole 14: Soccer field is OB. On or across walking track is OB.

Hole 15: On or across walking track is OB. On or across the sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 16: On or across walking track is OB. Over fence is OB. There is a bathroom 75 feet from the basket. Next bathroom stop is after Hole 22.

Hole 17: On or across the sidewalk/road is OB. Shelter 5 is OB.

Hole 18: On or across the sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 19: On or across walking track is OB. Watch for discs from Hole 24.

Hole 20: Over fences is OB.

Hole 21: Over fences is OB.

Hole 22: Over fences is OB. On or across walking path is OB. On or across road is OB. There is a bathroom 250 feet behind the basket. Next bathroom stop is the Port-o-Potty by Hole 1.

Hole 23: Over fences is OB.

Hole 24: Over fences is OB. On or across walking path is OB. Watch out for players on Hole 19's tee box. Botted water should be available by Hole 1.

So, for tournament day we have 4 bathroom stops to cover 24 holes. We think we have the bathroom situation covered. Please allow players in your group to take short breaks at these 4 holes if needed. It is also perfectly acceptable at the 2012 Pot of Gold to allow faster groups to play through (or move ahead) should your group need extra time at the bathrooms. The weather looks to be unseasonably warm and players are encouraged to refresh with water as needed! Stay hydrated and cool, please.
Now a few words about NO Team's latest and greatest course, City Park. Constructed with 700 hours of volunteer labor and thousands of dollars raised by disc golfers to install the equipment, City Park opened on Veterans Day in 2010. An instant classic, City Park has enabled NO Team to host several more tournaments.

The Am tournament course features only one Mando (Hole 18), while the Pro course has an extra Mando on Hole 14. There will be 6 temporary holes added after hole 18 for the 2012 Pot of Gold. Pool A and Pool B will play different tees. The extra 6 holes will also have different placements for Pool A and Pool B.

The bathroom situation is not very good at City Park. There are no decent bathrooms, only Port-O-Potties near Hole 7 and Hole 11/18/24. 11/18/24 share the same Port-o-Potty.

NO Team will have bottled water available by the 11/18/24 junction. If we get some help we might be able to get water back by the shared shelter at Hole 6 & 8.

The first course ground rule of City Park has come to be known as the Kernan Rule. This rule pertains to the lagoon that will be in play on Holes 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22. To be OB in the lagoon, the disc must be completely submerged. If it is partially above the water surface and touching any land or vegetation it is IN-BOUNDS. However, if the player can not take a stance one meter from the disc, the disc is OB. It's a good rule that gives the greatest benefit of the doubt to the players, and also clarifies the OB rule.

Hole 1: Lagoon is OB. On or across sidewalk/road is OB. Gravel road is in-bounds. Roof of building is OB. Inside building is in-bounds.

Hole 2: Lagoon is OB. Pro tee is inside abandoned building.

Hole 3: No OB.

Hole 4: On or across railroad tracks is OB. Beware of hidden drain on the right side of the pro fairway.

Hole 5: On or across railroad tracks is OB. Shelter is OB.

Hole 6: On or across railroad tracks is OB. Water is casual, not OB.

Hole 7: On or across sidewalk/road is OB. Shelter is OB.

Hole 8: No OB.

Hole 9: On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 10: On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 11: Lagoon is OB. On or across sidewalk/road is OB. Pro tee ground rule: On the drive, if the disc comes to rest OB, no matter where (including beyond the basket), the next shot, with a one-stroke penalty, is played from the drop zone which is Am Tee #11. Subsequent OB throws will be marked where they were last in-bounds.

Hole 12: Lagoon is OB.

Hole 13: Lagoon is OB. On or across sidewalk/road is OB. Over fence is OB.

Hole 14: Over fence is OB. On top of metal bulk containers is OB. There is a Mando on the Pro tee. Must pass to the right of the scoreboard. Drop zone is a re-tee.

Hole 15: Track is OB.

Hole 16: Lagoon is OB. On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 17: On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 18: Lagoon is OB. On or across sidewalk/road is OB. There is a Mando for all divisions. Must pass to the left of the Mando tree. Drop Zone is to the left of the Mando tree.

Hole 19: Lagoon is OB.

Hole 20: Lagoon is OB. On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 21: Lagoon is OB.

Hole 22: Lagoon is OB. On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 23: On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Hole 24: On or across sidewalk/road is OB.

Once again, it is perfectly fine if your group wishes to stand aside at the 11/18/24 junction to allow faster groups to play through if your group wishes to take a small break near the ice, water, and adult beverage. The weather is expected to be unseasonably warm and we encourage players to stay hydrated and refreshed. Bring sunscreen and use it!

I need some ice on my hands after those two posts!
GPS coordinates for the courses:

Lafreniere Park 30.001400,-90.209602

City Park 29.992082,-90.094371
Re: 2012 Pot of Gold New Orleans & Metairie Saturday March 17
March 14, 2012 07:49PM
great job Mike....

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
Wednesday night's update is brought to us by NOLA BREWERY, brewers of several fine beers and a generous sponsor of the 2012 Pot Of Gold! If you see Melanie Knepp playing in Pool B on Saturday, make sure to give her a big thank you for making the Pot of Gold even better!

Registered Players

Pro Ladies (3)
Jennifer Webb-Gainey
Lizz Acosta-Pearson
Deborah Brouillette

Senior Grandmasters (3)
David Clayton
Marvin McVay
Mike Sidebottom

Open (10)
Jay Walsdorf
Bernie Sawyer
Jeff St. Romain
Mike Brown
Adam Morrow
Chris Gilmore
Matt Orum (2-time Open champ)
Jamie Massengale
John Fowler (2011 Open Champ)
Eric Tracy

Masters (9)
Keith Bodin
Chris Hicks
John Cooper
Darryl Daugherty (2-time Open Division Champ)
Pat Barnes
Ronnie Adams
Stephen Harrison
Jon Fox
Brad Wells

Grandmasters (21)
Randy Reynolds
Don Perkins
Steve Hollis
Glen Fendley
Dave Williamson
David Dean
Rob Williams
John Kirkley
Steve Timm
Dale McVeay
Rick Wallen
Steve Swiler
Randy Boyette
Greg Finch
Dixie Morris
Jet Towns
Dex Braud
Paul Vogel
Dave Ferguson
Jim Blansett
Jimmy Burns

Am Ladies (5)
Melanie Knepp
Cassie Harris
Synthya Whitaker
Catina Roberts
Sara Senkbell

Advanced (16)
Terry Zeringue
Lloyd Wilkins
Broderick Mayeux
Jacques Giraud
Derek Drew
Jason Aken
Hanan Browning
Robby Harris
Allen Raines
Phillip Murray
Aaron Sims
James Wood
Clifton Byrd
Robbie Roger
Scott Comeaux
Jesse McCain

Advanced Masters (14)
Zack Paal
Mark Laborde
Brooks Newell
JC Cannon
Pat Fisher
Larry Uelmen
Brian Bakewell
Wayne Acree
Keith Robinson
Bryan Griffin
Joe Jacobson
Jim Horenchy
Michael Alan Smith
James Yeamans

Intermediate Am (41)
Jason Kimbell
Tony Defrates
Keith Osborne
Joshua Hood
Royden Peabody
Nick Rappazini
Daniel Perkins
Eduardo Villafuerte
David Tillinghast
Justin Tolbert
Jason Outlaw
Mike Quinn
Chris Kirkley
Scott Schulz
Joshua Price
Matt Bush
Josh Greene
Josh Eddy
Bayne Weaver
James Gonzales
Larry Leblanc
Chris Burgess
Harrison Gordon
Daniel Windham
Seth Fontenot
Jason Volo
Vic Harris
Nick Bedford
Waylon Mock
Chaz Johnson
Dylan Schultz
Thunder Schultz
Mason McKay
Chris Akers
Kenny Keasler
Bob Riedel
Kyle Parker
Brad Allen
Chris Sigler
Chris Downey
Troy Stone

Novice (6)
Cain Mabou
Roy Poteet
Luke Austin
Andrew Kientz
Keith Osborne III
Gabriel Markel
March 14, 2012 08:45PM
Mikey
Grandmasters (21)
Randy Reynolds
Don Perkins
Steve Hollis
Glen Fendley
Dave Williamson
David Dean
Rob Williams
John Kirkley
Steve Timm
Dale McVeay
Rick Wallen
Steve Swiler
Randy Boyette
Greg Finch
Dixie Morris
Jet Towns
Dex Braud
Paul Vogel
Dave Ferguson
Jim Blansett
Jimmy Burns

GREAT!!!!!

NO Teamers, we are in need of ICE, BOTTLED WATER, and ICE CHESTS! Please round up as much as you can. While we are getting a bunch of water donated already, I don't think it will be enough in light of the unusually warm forecast.

This tournament has grown too big for me to properly control at this point. Pitch in, lend a hand, and make our guests feel at home. If you see the TD enter a semi-paralyzed state of utter bewilderment, do what you can to improve the immediate situation and hope for the best.

GO NO TEAM GO!!! I know I can count on y'all.

"I just want to tell you good luck, we're all counting on you."

"Where's those scorecards???"
March 15, 2012 12:11AM
The Kernan Rule. How appropriate. It could also be the, "Kernans never OB rule." Either way it is perfectly named. LOL
See y'all around midday tomorrow. Make sure you hit the ATM Kerndoggie. Where would you like to start? Paying for my hotel.
March 15, 2012 02:16AM
Hey mikey, can u put me down for open, trying to find a ride down there from lafayette
March 15, 2012 06:01AM
Keith Bodin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Grandmasters (21)
> Randy Reynolds
> Don Perkins
> Steve Hollis
> Glen Fendley
> Dave Williamson
> David Dean
> Rob Williams
> John Kirkley
> Steve Timm
> Dale McVeay
> Rick Wallen
> Steve Swiler
> Randy Boyette
> Greg Finch
> Dixie Morris
> Jet Towns
> Dex Braud
> Paul Vogel
> Dave Ferguson
> Jim Blansett
> Jimmy Burns
>
>
> GREAT!!!!!

Buddy P and Tim O - where are ya? Can we get to 25 PGM's? Headed for NO Land early tomorrow!! Have plastic to donate - CE valk and have a score board in the car if needed. Thanks Mike looks like another great turnout.

Go out and play around with Disc Golf Today!!

Steve Hollis
Destin/FWB FL

MANGO DISC GOLF @ mangodiscgolf.com
March 15, 2012 09:18AM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> ATTENTION NO TEAM
>
>
> NO Teamers, we are in need of ICE, BOTTLED WATER,
> and ICE CHESTS! Please round up as much as you
> can. While we are getting a bunch of water donated
> already, I don't think it will be enough in light
> of the unusually warm forecast.
>
> This tournament has grown too big for me to
> properly control at this point. Pitch in, lend a
> hand, and make our guests feel at home. If you see
> the TD enter a semi-paralyzed state of utter
> bewilderment, do what you can to improve the
> immediate situation and hope for the best.
>
> GO NO TEAM GO!!! I know I can count on y'all.

I can supply a cooler with ice and bottled water. I will bring this to Lafreniere on Saturday morning.
March 15, 2012 09:26AM
Hey Mike, can u please put Brady Reaux down for advanced. I will pay the day of. Thanks mike, looks like it's goin to be a good Saturday. Can't wait!!!
March 15, 2012 10:18AM
Mikey - Make a list of things you need and post it here. NO Team will get them done.

I will be able to bring a couple of ice chests with water and ice. Do you want them at Lafreniere or City Park?

I'll be at the park(s) tomorrow at around noon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 10:21AM by Rob Williams.
March 15, 2012 10:54AM
Looking for a ride to this exclusive event from lafayette
March 15, 2012 12:01PM
Please add Bill Tyler to Pro Masters list, I just paid by Paypal!!!!

Thanks,

Pot of Gold Time!!!!!
March 15, 2012 01:19PM
Cajun:

Hey man I'm rolling over from Lake Charles if u need a ride and wanna split some gas money I'd be willing to swing into lafayette and grab ya let me know
March 15, 2012 01:33PM
Coutta,Can you give me a call at 337-849-7210 so we can work out the details thanks, Nick Robichaux

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 01:33PM by CajunWarrior33.
March 15, 2012 02:37PM
I hate that Team Key Chains is going to miss this one. Sydney is getting braces tomorrow !! However we will see you guys in August for the Doubles : )

Good Luck to all !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teresa Key
KEY CHAINS DISC GOLF
Fort Walton Beach, FL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 02:37PM by KeyChains1.
CajunWarrior33 Wrote:
> Coutta,Can you give me a call at 337-849-7210 so
> we can work out the details thanks, Nick Robichaux

Outstanding! Hope to see you guys there, but I think you are both in the Elite Pool A.
March 15, 2012 04:42PM
i am excited for this one; jim and i will be leaving sometime between 6:00 am and 3:00 pm tomorrow
March 15, 2012 06:48PM
Just paid for Tony Palmer - Adv Master and Vicki Palmer - Pro Lady!
Rob Williams Wrote:
> Mikey - Make a list of things you need and post it
> here. NO Team will get them done.
>
> I will be able to bring a couple of ice chests
> with water and ice. Do you want them at
> Lafreniere or City Park?
>
> I'll be at the park(s) tomorrow at around noon.

Rob I don't have any idea who is running the raffle and I need someone to step up and do that.

Bring the ice & water to either park, thanks
For those in Pool B wishing to practice the extra 6 holes at City Park, we should have that set up by 1 PM Friday. Some of the baskets on Friday may only be Traveller or Sport quality, but they will be in the right place at least. On Saturday we will have 6 tournament-quality baskets for both pools.

Pool A, sorry but you will have to wait until Saturday morning to practice the extra 6 holes at City Park in the Pool A layout. Although, Hole 23 is the exact same on both layouts.
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> Doubles on Friday before the Pot of Gold will be
> held at Lafreniere Park.
>
> Two divisions:
> Pros $20 per team
> Ams $10 per team
>
> Bring your own partner, best shot. Tee off anytime
> between 2 and 5 PM.
To get to City Park from either direction, take I-10 to I-610, then exit at Canal Blvd and head south, go under the railroad, then turn left at the first light (Navarre). Stay on that road until it ends, then turn left onto Marconi. Follow Marconi under the railroad tracks again and turn right immediately after that onto Zachary Taylor Drive. Then take your first right, Henry Thomas Drive, which will bring you under the railroad tracks again, then the course is on your right. Parking is kinda tight due to construction, if you can't park by hole 1 or 11 try parking behind Hole 2 or along Holes 8-10.

To get to Lafreniere Park from either direction, take I-10 to exit 225, Veterans Blvd. Take a left at the light, then go about 1/4 mile to a left at Downs Blvd. which takes you into the park. Take your first left in the park and go about 1/4 mile past the dog park to Shelter 2 which will be on the right.
March 15, 2012 08:46PM
This tourny will be epic!
It'll be something.

Also Rob I have some cups but we could probably use a few more and some napkins or paper towels for lunch. If ya feel like making the grocery run, save your receipt and I'll reimburse ya.
March 15, 2012 09:14PM
Sitting at Don's seafood hut....eating some great oysters and alligator

Hukd on fonikz werkd fur mi!
Tonight's registration update is brought to us by DISCRAFT, the leader in disc sports. Joe just received some 2012 Pot of Gold Nukes, Buzzzs and Crystal Buzzzs, so pick up one or a few from him all weekend. I think only tournaments are allowed to sell the Crystal Buzzzs so stock up while you have the chance at the PoG.

Registered Players

Pro Ladies (4)
Jennifer Webb-Gainey
Lizz Acosta-Pearson
Deborah Brouillette
Vicki Palmer

Senior Grandmasters (3)
David Clayton
Marvin McVay
Mike Sidebottom

Open (13)
Jay Walsdorf
Bernie Sawyer
Jeff St. Romain
Mike Brown
Adam Morrow
Chris Gilmore
Matt Orum (2-time Open champ)
Jamie Massengale
Willie Waite
Michael Sham
Scott Garner
Logan Weiss
John Fowler (2011 Open Champ)

Masters (9)
Keith Bodin
Chris Hicks
John Cooper
Darryl Daugherty (2-time Open Division Champ)
Pat Barnes
Ronnie Adams
Stephen Harrison
Jon Fox
Chad Rousse

Grandmasters (22)
Randy Reynolds
Don Perkins
Steve Hollis
Glen Fendley
Dave Williamson
David Dean
Rob Williams
John Kirkley
Steve Timm
Dale McVeay
Rick Wallen
Steve Swiler
Randy Boyette
Greg Finch
Dixie Morris
Jet Towns
Dex Braud
Paul Vogel
Dave Ferguson
Buddy Pacatte
Jim Blansett
Jimmy Burns

Am Ladies (6)
Melanie Knepp
Cassie Harris
Synthya Whitaker
Catina Roberts
Sara Senkbell
Deborah McCoy

Advanced (17)
Terry Zeringue
Lloyd Wilkins
Broderick Mayeux
Jacques Giraud
Derek Drew
Jason Aken
Hanan Browning
Robby Harris
Allen Raines
Phillip Murray
Aaron Sims
James Wood
Clifton Byrd
Robbie Roger
Scott Comeaux
Jesse McCain
Allan Morrow

Advanced Masters (18)
Zack Paal
Mark Laborde
Brooks Newell
JC Cannon
Pat Fisher
Larry Uelmen
Brian Bakewell
Wayne Acree
Keith Robinson
Bryan Griffin
Joe Jacobson
Jim Horenchy
Michael Alan Smith
James Yeamans
Tony Palmer
Chuck Leggett
Raymond Elledge
Ronnie McCoy

Intermediate Am (44)
Jason Kimbell
Tony Defrates
Keith Osborne
Joshua Hood
Royden Peabody
Nick Rappazini
Daniel Perkins
Eduardo Villafuerte
David Tillinghast
Justin Tolbert
Jason Outlaw
Mike Quinn
Chris Kirkley
Scott Schulz
Joshua Price
Matt Bush
Josh Greene
Josh Eddy
Bayne Weaver
James Gonzales
Larry Leblanc
Chris Burgess
Harrison Gordon
Daniel Windham
Seth Fontenot
Jason Volo
Vic Harris
Nick Bedford
Waylon Mock
Chaz Johnson
Dylan Schultz
Thunder Schultz
Mason McKay
Chris Akers
Kenny Keasler
Bob Riedel
Kyle Parker
Brad Allen
Chris Sigler
Chris Downey
Troy Stone
Robert Pittman
Jonathan Pohlman
Charles Sherbert

Novice (9)
Cain Mabou
Roy Poteet
Luke Austin
Andrew Kientz
Keith Osborne III
Gabriel Markel
Mark Hoppens
Neil Gernon
Aaron Ferguson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 10:27PM by Bluff Magee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013