Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Re: 2nd Annual Fling For A Cure - Hamilton, AL - March 24, 2012
March 26, 2012 06:10PM
Ok lone wolf puppy dog you say it should be par three but yet you only shot 5 down with them par 4s don't make since seems to me like you had a hard timeLol
March 26, 2012 06:14PM
Exactly my point Clayton. It has never been about par 4 vs par 3, it was never about making it harder. It was never about who could throw long. Someone took it on themselves to overhaul an entire course that was not a birdie fest as some would lead you to believe. Yea there were birdies and there were pars and there were others. The last 8 holes were made longer some more than others and they became boring holes for most people. (it would be interesting to see how these holes stood up on average). I think #1 is a good opening par 3 that players with some power could make 2's for most it will be 3's. #2 could of had a better alternate pin if moved back some instead it was moved back and to the side in a new cutout area that will yield few 2's but be an easy layup if drive finds fairway. I would wager that #3 had the worst score average of any hole and not because of the length but because of the way the hole has always been, tight with no real alleyway, you hit a tree there and you kick into deep brush. I could go on but the ones who do not get it will not get it.
March 26, 2012 06:17PM
And perry how many eagles did u have exactly
March 26, 2012 06:17PM
Innovaputter84 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Y leave them holes alone cuz there short and easy
> lol

The reason they have pro pads Justin. You have had ample time to play there if you want some. Wolf has held his own against you in every tournament and you better him this time (one of the few I might add) and suddenly he cant compete with you long arms. I think not.
March 26, 2012 06:24PM
a par 4 should always have a legit drive, a legit approach, and then the putt - a par 5 should have 2 legit drives, a legit approach, and then the putt

what you determine as legit comes down to the skill level of the player the hole is designed for

average gold level players typically throw 350-450 on command (effective distance, which obviously changes with uphill/downhill, and the amount of obstacles in the way) - a gold level par 4 that is less than 400 ft is probably gimmicky, because it is just 2 short approaches, with no drives

I would recommend anybody who is interested to read John Houck's course design articles:

[www.houckdesign.com]

lots of good info in those
March 26, 2012 06:35PM
Exactly bazkitcase and my furthest drive has been 320-325 feet in wide open
March 26, 2012 06:39PM
Thanks Clayton for that input. I have read his articles online and find them interesting. I understand that everyone has their favorite course, its could be the difficulty of the course, the scenic value, or the course just "fits" your style. There is an old saying "different horses for different courses" I think this applies not only to horse racing but Ball and Disc Golf. I have tried to respectfully explain why I disliked the new design but all anyone wanted to focus on was the par aspect, say I do not like difficult course or longer courses. True I am not a fan of longer courses, I am older and can not throw with more accomplished younger players. But to say I do not appreciate a difficult course is false I enjoy the challenge, and what I tried in vain to explain was that Hamilton lacked a challenge that was more evident form the old layout form the pro pad. Scores are scores, but was there value in most of the shots to achieve that score.
March 26, 2012 06:40PM
I have debated enough on the subject. I for one am putting this to rest.
March 26, 2012 07:17PM
I played the pro pads.....majority should be par 4s in the longs....4is a 400 foot horse she......takes a placement shot like 18 on bb2 in my opinion...not saying the ams should be......but ur probably right BC I got beat by an am by7 and I beat the pro and advanced the 2nd round....but....regardless of par his strokes are the same...I am just glad to see people putting work in
March 26, 2012 08:29PM
I'm putting it to rest to I'm not arguing about pars all I'm saying is in the end when the tourny is over its your combined score is what matters mine was three strokes from winning just means I got some work to do
Ok, I smashed this guys layout and design before even playing it. Let me say he needs to go ahead and concrete the long tees and leave the baskets in B position. Like I said I would rank this course as an easier Tombigbee2. Yes, a few holes need tweaked, one in particular, first hole when you come out of the thick woods, maybe hole 7ish or around there where the basket is super hidden and thrown into a thicket up the pathway.

Not every hole should be a par 4, but no sense on changing up the par, only makes it more confusing. Just think hole 14 & 15 at Vets, deuce or die. They're gonna be "those" holes at every course.

I didn't play the AM tees but in my opinion they should be played as par 3. Who said you had to shoot -10 on a course? Why can't even or -1 be a good score? Just because you shoot over par you shouldn't get discouraged. If you shoot the best you can do that's all you can do, practice, get better, challenge yourself.

Sure, the long arm Philley and Jedi putter Clayton could probably smash this course and shoot -8 or so from the longs depending on their round. Kirby Powers had a drop in eagle on the hole going down the hill, maybe hole 13ish, around there somewhere I think. Probably was the closest ace the 2nd round.

I hope for the next tournament there Joey takes advantage of these new pin locations, maybe play them as par 3 from the shorts, 4 from the longs.

It all really comes down to did you have fun and enjoy the course regardless of how you are shooting. Will be back.
By the way, my +12 for the day comes from a +8 just from 2 holes. A 7 on a hole is called a tournament killer, especially when it's just your 4th hole of the day. What can I say, got the Tupelo roll on the hardest hole on the original course, poke and hope thru all the trees basket up on top of the hill. After that kinda hard to find motivation to play well, oh well that's golf. See y'all next weekend in Tupelo.
March 26, 2012 09:05PM
Let me guess Number 3 or Number 6.
March 26, 2012 09:21PM
That sounds like number six lol bad one for me on first round carried a 5 on it myself lol
Hole 6. Got to the top for double bogey and boom, back to the bottom baby!
March 26, 2012 09:32PM
Yup i hit a tree then a tree got to 30 of basket putted hit side of basket rolled forty puttedmissed putted again made for five it sucked lmao
March 26, 2012 09:55PM
I'm not trying to down anyone or this and that I'm just saying we shouldn't be so technical on things as pars when especially playing for a great cause and a trophy now the one in may of they do par threes in kewl with it I'll probably play the longs anyways maybe adv but I'm just saying have fun with disc golf it's stuff like this that I don't like don't ever not come to a course just because you don't like the way they do things you come to support the game we all love sooty if I offended anyone you guys ate all great players and would like to think I am an ok golfer but even myself I have alot of work to do(putting)!!!!!!
March 26, 2012 10:03PM
Perry even at any course even if i truly hate it if its for a great cause like cancer i will try my best to play as i said i myself was dignosed with testicular cancer and if u dont know what it is look it up so its a wonderful reason to play and thanks for those that did support this cause
March 30, 2012 09:51AM
Here you go boys...Par: As determined by the director, the score an EXPERT disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole. Par means errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, allowing two close range THROWS to hole out!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013