Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

STC York Doubles - 26 May 2012

Posted by John K 
STC York Doubles - 26 May 2012
May 20, 2012 08:58AM
STC York Doubles

Tournament Director: Crawdaddy Crawford ((901) 262-4691) (901) 262-4691
Date(s): 05/26/2012 Location: Valentine Park - Munford, TN

Straight doubles bring your own partner. More info later.

2 rounds.

TD - Crawdaddy Crawford

Entry Fees:
Pros: $86 per team
Adv - $66 per team
Ams - $46 per team

Straight doubles (ie best shot)

Lunch available for $5 - hamburgers / hot dogs
Re: STC York Doubles - 26 May 2012
May 20, 2012 09:57PM
Registration from 7am until 9:15 am. Players meeting at 9:30 am. Tee off at 10:00am.
May 20, 2012 10:03PM
Playing two great courses. Who else is coming? I am playing with Jason elsner.
May 20, 2012 10:35PM
Rich n I will be there:-)
May 21, 2012 08:47AM
The team of Slim and Slimmer will be there.

Slims a regular there for the league and sunday mornings, I've played there once. We should be fighting for DFL....
May 22, 2012 09:05AM
2 courses ?

......C
.T..////..B
....////
...//////////
........////
.......////
May 22, 2012 12:00PM
Yes, there are 36 holes at Valentine Park. The newer 18 holes were put in about 2 years ago. This is your last weekend to get SN points to qualify for the Championships.
May 25, 2012 09:28AM
Played the newest course for the first time last night. Pretty sweet and in good shape! Nice mix of open and wooded holes with some left, right, up, down, side to side, short and long. See yall tomorrow!
May 26, 2012 07:24PM
Well, I just got back from the tournament. The courses were in great condition and the cards were spread out well. However, the payouts for the amateurs was screwed up. There were only 5 groups in the Advanced division. Normal payout is 40%, top 2, right? Well, they paid out top 3. When I asked why they paid out so much, Dewey said they could pay out what they wanted. And people wonder why no one wants to move to advanced! There were 28 intermediate teams, and the first place team beat the advanced 1st place by 5 strokes.
We paid $66 per team. That is $330 total. $30 was probably taken out for SN fees, so there is about $300 left for payout. How much should 1st and 2nd get? Well, we got 2 blizzard discs, 2 star discs, 2 titanium discs, 2 minis, and two cheap beer huggies to split between us. That's about $110 total in my book. So I guess the other $190 was split between 2nd and 3rd. Thanks for the $55 first place prize when I paid $33 to play.
May 26, 2012 11:06PM
Never mind......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 11:06PM by Keith Bodin.
Anonymous User
May 27, 2012 05:29PM
@#$%&, however titanium is a precious metal. Saw a sheet of it on Pawn Stars go for a few grand... lol

I have seen TD's pay out 50% in adv, that's called a "generous" payout but 3/5 sounds about like 70%, there is no limit to how deep you can payout, and really no minimum (set in stone) you have to pay out.
May 28, 2012 03:07AM
Well 3/5 is 60%. AND I wouldn't even be that nice and say that 6 discs, 2 minis, and 2 huggies was worth 110 (More like 90-95). Seems like you got about the same amount as 2nd which sucks. Yeah, they can be as generous as they want but the Advanced Payout shouldn't be a higher percentage than AM. In pro, they paid 3/7 which is 43% . I heard they barely had enough to payout AM and ADV.

......C
.T..////..B
....////
...//////////
........////
.......////
May 28, 2012 10:17AM
.....titanium and blizzard go like 20 bucks retail...I still see star plastic going for 17-18 bucks....sounds closer to 120 to me....I hope u can still pay ur bills with that loss.....doubles events usually don't payout well...maybe its incentive to move up?
May 28, 2012 02:12PM
Titanium is 17.99 and blizzard is 15.99. You must shop at some inflated places lol. But, tourney was hardly advertised so did you expect much anyway? Just my opinion but I wasn't there.
May 28, 2012 02:38PM
What Keith said...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2012 02:44PM by hobbit489.
May 28, 2012 03:05PM
Dynamic discs sells ti buzzes for 20.....I'm not talking about the best place to buy....

codyroberts18 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Titanium is 17.99 and blizzard is 15.99. You must
> shop at some inflated places lol. But, tourney wa
> hardly advertised so did you expect much anyway?
> Just my opinion but I wasn't there.
May 28, 2012 04:43PM
I was satisfied with the pro payout. Just seems they weren't prepared to payout AM/ADV much at all. IMO you should at LEAST double your money for winning. I got 2 champion Bosses for Pro CTP alone.

......C
.T..////..B
....////
...//////////
........////
.......////
May 29, 2012 08:00AM
It's going to get to the point to where nobody is going to run an event anywhere around here. It seems to be the pattern after every single event that someone has got this beef or problem with payouts,lunch menu, course design...blah blah blah...Did you talk to Crawdaddy about your payout after the event? Bet not.....I wasn't there and aint gonna go through all that math as to what you did or didn't win..but with 5 teams... lookslike you did pretty well... $110-$115 for a $66 entry fee is bout 175-180% pay out... Hope I get paid like that in every tourny I play in.
May 29, 2012 11:25AM
Zich,
Guess you really want to keep your disc buddies....Geesh!!

I can't wait for the super bad arse tourney that YOU TD so we can all enjoy the WONDERFUL PAYOUT you provide

I don't normally call a jerk out - but you sir, are a JERK and a TOOL!!!

Do your math and learn how the tourney expenses work before you run your sorry trap - OR BETTER YET DON'T PLAY IN MEMPHIS!!

Peace to the rest of STC and Craw and Brandon and all that provided the rest of us a great time!!

Unfortunately, I guess ZIich wasn't satisfied and had nothing better to do but complain but from my memory - that's par for course.

'nuf said.....GREAT JOB STC AND VOLUNTEERS THAT FED YOU GUYS AND KEPT YOU HYDRATED.......

oh, and Zich - how much did YOU sponsor???????

TOOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 11:27AM by bryan griffin.
May 29, 2012 12:20PM
sigh... could someone please post the results? :) thanks!
May 29, 2012 01:33PM
dmzich Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I just got back from the tournament. The
> courses were in great condition and the cards were
> spread out well. However, the payouts for the
> amateurs was screwed up. There were only 5 groups
> in the Advanced division. Normal payout is 40%,
> top 2, right? Well, they paid out top 3. When I
> asked why they paid out so much, Dewey said they
> could pay out what they wanted. And people
> wonder why no one wants to move to advanced!
> There were 28 intermediate teams, and the first
> place team beat the advanced 1st place by 5
> strokes.

1)THERE WERE ONLY 5 GROUPS IN THE DIVISION. If you want a higher payout, play in a division with more players or MOVE UP

2) Why did you talk to Dewey? Did Dewey run the tournament? Did Dewey set the payouts? Did Dewey do anything other than play? I was not there, so i cannot say for certain he didn't help a little bit, but Dewey is not the person you should have talked to regarding this issue. CRAWDADDY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONLY PERSON YOU TALKED TO. INSTEAD YOU GET ON THIS VERY PUBLIC AND SOMETIMES DAMMING FORUM AND CALL OUT SOMEONE FOR "RIPPING YOU OFF" WHO IS KNOWN THRU THESE PARTS AS SOMEONE WHO WILL GIVE ANY AND EVERYTHING HE HAS TO THIS SPORT. You on the other hand are known for collecting discs from ponds, not calling the owners, and selling the discs on ebay and craigslist.

3) We are very tired of hearing about how your payouts are always less than what they should be. you won the SNAC last year and complained about that payout, too! just move up and start playing for cash. You are going to get in our ponds and take our discs regardless, so that business should still be booming. If you play for cash, there isnt a controversy about what you "should" have won.

4) CRAWDADDY IS THE MAN....TRUTH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 01:37PM by JshDvd.
May 29, 2012 01:36PM
Crawdaddy, when you get the chance, send in the results to me at johnk@sndg.org or post here. Trying to track down the last of this season's tournaments so the SN Championship invitations can be determined. Thanks

JOhn k
May 29, 2012 05:46PM
I am sorry I upset so many people by asking straight forward questions.

As far as all the hard work that went into getting the courses ready, the water jugs on the course, and the smoothness of play, I am very grateful. Those courses looked great and the water was GREATLY appreciated.

The only problem I had was with the Amateur payouts. The three who chimed in to ridicule me weren't even there, as usual. Josh and Bryan, when you played Advanced, did they always pay out 60% of the field? If this is standard, I apologize. If everyone is okay with that kind of payout in Advanced, then I apologize. In the 13 SN tournaments I have played in as an Advanced or Advanced Master, they only paid out until they had at least 40%. Obviously, it doesn't always calculate evenly like it does with 2 out of 5. If there had been 6 teams, they would have had to pay out 3 in order to get at least 40%. I know 3 out of 6 is 50%, but it is necessary because 2 out of 6 is only 33%, so a third team must be paid.

Josh, if you go back 2 years ago when we played Advanced together in the STC OUTLAWS FALL SHOOTOUT and there were only 5 of us, only 1st and 2nd received the prizes. You will also notice that out of the $165 of entry fees, $15 went to SN and Course fees, $100 went to 1st and $50 went to 2nd. Crawdaddy did it exactly right in 2010. Here is a link to that tournament. [www.sndg.org] The same thing should have happened this year with 5 teams. With $330 in entry fees, $30 should go to SN and course fees, $200 should have gone to 1st, and $100 should have gone to 2nd. I am just basing my information on previous tournaments run by Crawdaddy.

Josh, also, don't talk to me about selling discs on Craigslist or ebay. I have returned to you, Crawdaddy, and many, many other people the discs I find in the ponds with names on them. The last time I played with you at Bud Hill back in February, you asked me to go into Pops Pond to get a disc out for you while you went to Shelby Forest to play. I found your disc and gave it to DooRag. I guess next time I need to leave it there. Check through all my boxes in my van and discs on Craigslist. Not a single one of them has a name on them unless people told me to keep them. Many people tell me to keep their DX plastic when I call them.

And to those of you who think I need to move up, I have already done so and NOT cashed. I have played in two tournaments this season before this one, both as a Pro Master: Rumble in the Jungle (lost by 23 strokes, 5th out of 6) and the Roc Run (paid out top 50% and still did not cash!) I will play where I have a chance to be successful. In this tournament, Jason and I were down 4 strokes after the first round and were in 3rd place. The top two fell during the 2nd round and we only won by 2 strokes. We did not do well enough to cash in Pro, so don't tell me we were bagging.

Finally, I talked to Dewey because he was the only one who would answer me when I asked about the payout. He was right next to Crawdaddy passing out the prizes at the stand. Crawdaddy was busy talking to someone else, and Dewey answered me like he was in charge. I didn't have time to wait around because it was already late and I had to go home to get ready to drive to Little Rock Saturday night.

If you want to hate on me for telling the truth, so be it. I can't wait to see how much Crawdaddy says the prize packages are worth. I want to see where the $300 he collected from the 10 Advanced players went, because only $112 of it went to the two who won 1st place. I came up with the total based on the value stickers the TD placed on the discs: Titanium Buzzz, $20, Star Beast, $15, Blizzard Wraith, $15. That is $50. I priced the mini and huggie on discgolfcenter.com at $2 and $4. I guess the other $188 was split between 2nd and 3rd. This is another reason why the payout should be posted BEFORE the final round. It wasn't posted anywhere.

Hudd, you said this is another reason why TDs don't want to run tournaments. You are probably right. If they don't like it when they get caught scamming the Amateurs, I guess they may not do it again. If it was done accidentally, I can understand that and hope it is corrected. But when someone I thought was helping run the tournament tells me "We can do as we please," I get a little peaved. As TheSeeker said, the Amateur payouts for the top winners were very weak. You might have noticed this if you had been there. As I watched the two Intermediates who won first out of 28 teams get their prize of 6 discs, I knew something like that was bound to happen to me.

I am heading to work. Respond at will.
Anonymous User
May 29, 2012 08:50PM
If you spent as much time practicing your game as you do whining about your bagger payouts you might actually be able to compete in pro.

Move up whiner!
May 29, 2012 09:22PM
I really need to stay out of crap that I have no business in......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 09:45PM by Keith Bodin.
May 29, 2012 10:27PM
Man....... I really wish I could read Keith and Adam's edits...

Ugh...

Zich, from one public high school teacher to another, I love you buddy.

But, come on man... Who really cares about payouts? Disc golf can't be a bottom line deal or it's never going to balance out. This isn't a career for anyone (excluding about 15 people globally). The doubles was a fun event and paying 3 out of 5 sounds like a laidback, springtime event decision. It's doubles dude...

Steady Ed said, "Most fun wins."

Have fun. Move up. Failing to cash TWICE is called adjusting to your division. That's not a sign it's time to immediately move back to the division that you have continually dominated. It's a BIG jump to pro, but you can play Pro Master and I know you can scrap there. Honestly, you can.

Talk to any cashing pro. Most will tell you they had to take their lumps before they began to cash regularly.

I'm still taking lumps, but I'd honestly feel cheesy winning an advanced tournament in Memphis now after winning the Dogwood two years ago. You've won a ton of these events and it's time to move on.

Respectfully,

Robby Uhrman III
May 30, 2012 06:42AM
Zich, I have a feeling that if you had been the person who finished 3rd and Crawdaddy had only paid two spots you would be crying about that. Bottom line is...You payed a $66 entry fee as a team and recieved $110-$115 in prize payout. Thats 175-180%... Well within any guidelines at any event. For 5 teams with no avertised added cash...pretty good payout.Course, I wouldn't know much about it... wasn't there.. and have never even as much as co-td a tourney. So maybe you have a gripe
May 30, 2012 09:36AM
TOOL - I mean Zich.....wasn't there????? Who the hell helped serve you your lunch........yeah - I didn't play.....but I drove all the way from Collierville to attend and volunteer.....keep the cooks happy and cleaned up (including the parking area) after lunch...

Sorry it wasn't up to your standards, but using the the words "scamming the Ams" is making it pretty clear YOU ARE CLUELESS!! AND you are insinuating that honest stand-up volunteers are out to abuse folks.....

I'm off this topic, as I normally would never call someone out in this manner.....but for you, I had to make an exception - your reputation is batting a 1000% - I hope your teaching standards are higher than your personal ones.....

GEESH!! Griff
May 30, 2012 09:40AM
Good post counselor.

May 30, 2012 12:02PM
bottom Line you shouldnt be posting this stuff until you have cleared it up with the td and If your still not satisfied dont play. I have asked several TDs about the payout and when they explained it to me I understood. Put your money in Pro were they add extra cash.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013