Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

July 15th - Mobile Summer Open presented by DiscGolfStation.com

Posted by FWgrant 
July 15th - Mobile Summer Open presented by DiscGolfStation.com
June 13, 2012 10:11PM
Come on out to the Mobile Summer Open on Sunday July 15th at Langan (Municipal) Park.

2 rounds of 19

Pre-registered Amateurs will receive a $20+ players pack. Ring of Fire for free prizes after the second round. $5 optional ace pot. 100% payout. Open plays for cash, Amateurs play for merchandise.

Online registration: [www.discgolfstation.com]

This is a Southern Nationals event!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2012 01:48PM by John K.
Re: July 14th - Mobile Summer Open presented by DiscGolfStation.com
June 13, 2012 10:33PM
It has been a long standing agreement between Baton Rouge and Mobile that the 2 cities would not hold events on the same day. Glade to see you are honoring that agreement. Good Luck!!!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
June 14, 2012 01:57AM
Keith I don't believe he is from the Mobile area, only hosting one in Mobile. So guessing he had no knowledge of the agreement, either did I...

Anyway, good luck with the event Grant.
June 14, 2012 06:11AM
I had some prior communication with him when he was requesting local support. I expressed that we traditionally do not step on the toes of BR, and that we support each others efforts. He didn't seem to care too much about this concern. I did request him to look at different date options to get away from the Summer Sizzler date and from te SNPC warm-ups. Obviously he ignored that peice of advice as well.

It's important to know...this is event is not being run by a local group. Take that into consideration when you are making your decisions on which tournies to attend.
June 14, 2012 07:13AM
The TD for this tournament is from Fort Worth, Texas. So it is definitely and out of Towner running this tournament so that may explain a few things Keith.

Keith "The BodyGuard" Robinson
June 14, 2012 08:30AM
Keith B.,

We were not told about this "long standing agreement" until about a week ago. Up until then we were receiving support from certain Mobile locals to hold this event. We are not trying to step on anyone's toes and mean no disrespect to you or anyone from Baton Rouge.

I think we also come from different situations...Mobile and Baton Rouge are 200 miles apart. To me, that is a large distance to travel and we don't see many disc golfers doing that in Texas. That's almost exactly equivalent to someone from Austin coming up to Fort Worth or Dallas for a tournament. At any given tournament, you may have a handful of people do that but I don't count on golfers from 3 hours away to come to my tournaments. We have 3 or 4 (or more) tournaments on any given weekend of the year in Texas...to serve a large amount of disc golfers across the state and give everyone options.

I'm running a C-Tier this weekend and there is another C-Tier being held 29 miles away that organized their tournament after I was already on the PDGA calendar. THAT'S stepping on toes. If I was 29 miles away from Baton Rouge, I definitely wouldn't hold a tournament in competition of another TD/group.

Bolty,

You were in contact with my brother actually. He had been supported in getting an event in Mobile on this day. Which was on the SN calendar before the July 7th tournament. Also, we wanted to help the local Mobile club by giving them $2 a head for pre-registered players that mention the Mobile club. Were you aware of this?

Bottom line, this event is going to be a fun, well-run tournament for whoever chooses to play in Mobile on Saturday the 14th. If anyone feels offended or put-off by the efforts of an outside group to run an awesome disc golf tournament for a group of people in a disc golf friendly area, they can play somewhere else in Mobile or go to Baton Rouge and support their club. I don't mean this to be rude. It won't hurt my feelings for some people to not play my tournament. But Baton Rouge (or Mobile) shouldn't have their feelings hurt that we are running an event in Mobile on this day.
June 14, 2012 09:27AM
Not gonna make it, may drive to Baton Rouge, just the principal of it all.

Mobz
Jmart
June 14, 2012 10:11AM
Grant,
Maybe you should learn some history about the 2 cities before you make your comments. What yall do in Texas does not mean a rat's a..

Here is a little history of disc golf for you "Texan":
Back in the late 80s and early 90s the only groups holding disc golf tournaments south of Alexandria La. were Beaumont Tx, Baton Rouge La., and Mobile Al. We would all travel to each others tournaments to help grow the sport. In fact Shreveport would come to Baton Rouge and we would go up there. That "agreement" has held strong for over 25 years till now. So you think you can come down to Mobile and run a better tournament that the groups in Mobile? That is just plain arrogant on your part!!!!

You are just trying to come to a city that disc golf is popular in and make some money off people then haul azz. You did nothing to grow the sport in Mobile. You did not help maintain any of the courses. You do not work with the parks department to help get baskets when the come up missing.

You are an opportunist!!!! I hope the fine disc golfers of Mobile see you for what you are, I know they will, and don't play!

[www.facebook.com]
June 14, 2012 11:16AM
Keith,

You are speaking out of place. I'm not arrogant. I'm not saying Mobile doesn't run great tournaments. I'm not saying I run better tournaments. I'm saying I'm a disc golfer, I run great tournaments, and I want to run one in Mobile where I went on countless vacations to see my grandparents. I am very fond of Mobile and wanted to run an event here.

If we moved the date to Sunday the 15th, would you feel just as angry about someone trying to hold a tournament in Mobile? I'd be open to possibly moving it back a day if that would alleviate this issue.

Please keep a cool head before you attack people.
June 14, 2012 11:30AM
Grant, this is just my opinion but if I were trying to run a tourney in Fort Worth the first thing iI would have done is sit down with the local clubs president. To discuss dates ,fees, and other tourney minded issues. Golf has evolved due to etiquette and common courtesy. I would prefer the local clubs be involved just for the support. Like I said, this is just my opinion.

Jeff Martin
Mobz
June 14, 2012 12:20PM
This is Wallace Stanley. I am the one who has been contacting Mobile disc golfers for advice with the event. I'd like to share a few things about this process. I realize for some people, this seems like the tournament came up all of a sudden. Actually we have been contacting and/or trying to get into contact with the correct Mobile personnel since April.

I have been in contact with the city several times.
I have sent numerous emails out to different people trying to lay the groundwork for the tournament.
I have contacted the club president. He didn't once mention the Baton Rouge conflict.
I have spoken with two other MADGA board members. One was completely supportive, the other very informative and cautionary. The latter also brought the Baton Rouge agreement to my knowledge about a week ago (which was over a month after our first contact.)

We are in no way trying to disrespect any parties involved in Mobile or Baton Rouge or anywhere in between. We advance disc golf in Texas, and have personal ties in Mobile. We wanted to combine the two this summer by traveling to Mobile and running an event for the locals. Other than asking a few people to put up flyers and spread the word about our event, I have not asked anybody for help running the event. It will be chance for players to play without worrying about logistics. If you run tournaments I am sure you will appreciate this, as I know I enjoy getting to go to a tournament and just PLAY.

Since we started this process, we have sought to make adjustments as necessary to make the event something the locals would enjoy, support, and promote. Once again we are being very flexible. We've brought up for discussion a date change to Sunday the 15th. Is that the solution? Would you support us moving the tournament a day later? I would like to hear direct responses to this. We are investing thousands of dollars to come to Mobile. We have been and continue to ask for your support so we can run a great event for your city.

Thanks,
Wallace
June 14, 2012 12:53PM
FWgrant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith,
>
> You are speaking out of place. I'm not arrogant.
> I'm not saying Mobile doesn't run great
> tournaments. I'm not saying I run better
> tournaments. I'm saying I'm a disc golfer, I run
> great tournaments, and I want to run one in Mobile
> where I went on countless vacations to see my
> grandparents. I am very fond of Mobile and wanted
> to run an event here.
>
> If we moved the date to Sunday the 15th, would you
> feel just as angry about someone trying to hold a
> tournament in Mobile? I'd be open to possibly
> moving it back a day if that would alleviate this
> issue.
>
> Please keep a cool head before you attack people.

LOL attack people?!?!?!? I wish ya'll the best of luck!

[www.facebook.com]
June 14, 2012 04:13PM
no events anywhere Aug 11-12....might help your problem
June 14, 2012 04:40PM
hudd Wrote:
> no events anywhere Aug 11-12....might help your
> problem

August 11th is Doubles in Pascagoula/Gautier, its just not on the schedule yet.
Grant & Wallace, sorry to see you guys getting attacked for no good reason. I think your offer to move to Sunday the 15th sounds like a great solution and demonstrates to me that your intentions are good. On behalf of the many Southern Nationals players who appreciate any TD who puts in the effort to run a tournament, thanks for giving the players another SN tournament opportunity. I promise not all SN players are uptight and/or paranoid like a few on this thread!

You only went by the posted 150 mile rule and you shouldn't have to take any abuse at all. But a good solution is to move to Sunday to allow those who want to, to play both days. You'll get plenty of players even on a Sunday in Mobile.

Peace.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 06:12PM by Bluff Magee.
June 14, 2012 06:49PM
Thanks Bluff.

It's official, this tournament is moving to Sunday, July 15th so as not to be in conflict with Baton Rouge. If someone has contact info of Baton Rouge's club president please PM. We'd like to apologize for all of the confusion!

We will still do flex start Bring your own partner doubles on Friday for any that are interested as a warm-up for the tournament. See flyer on the online registration page for more details.
Good luck on that tournament you're running in Forth Worth on Saturday.

I see you also have a tournament scheduled for Tallahassee on Saturday July 21. It would be great if Tallahassee ran some SN tournaments, they have great courses.
June 14, 2012 09:06PM
Oh yeah jack mclean park and tom brown are mind blowing just played the Tallahassee open last weekend and i must say i am very impressed by those two course:-)
June 14, 2012 09:23PM
[www.discgolfstation.com]

Pre-registration is highly encouraged and greatly appreciated!

Remember.... July 15th.
June 14, 2012 10:19PM
Wallace, it was great to speak with you this afternoon, and I do look forward to meeting you on the 15th. You've done an incredibly considerate thing to move your tournament to Sunday. I do hope that players will appreciate this and choose to support both events.
Dex
June 15, 2012 11:46AM
Thanks Wallace;

excellent move

I will send out an email to the Baton Rouge members

Good Luck, and as Bluff said, you will have no shortage of players in Mobile on a Sunday

Thanks

Dex
June 18, 2012 01:34PM
results?
Re: July 15th - Mobile Summer Open presented by DiscGolfStation.com
June 18, 2012 01:56PM
rolltider - I have a hard time seeing that far into the future.......the date has been changed on the SN schedule page and the top post. Thanks to Wallace for moving the tournament. He did contact me when I originally posted the tournament, it is a legal distance SN-wise. There is only a 150mile bubble around 1-day events.

Good luck with both SN tournaments that weekend.

JOhn k
June 19, 2012 07:37AM
sorry, JK.
June 19, 2012 01:37PM
being from Houston, we consider Dallas, Ft Worth area part of Oklahoma. Lol.
June 19, 2012 04:43PM
Ouch, that was below the belt, Brad.
June 19, 2012 06:26PM
Good luck running your event. Mobilians are a great group of DGolfers treat them rite you will get the same in return. Mobile is hosting the SNPC this year,(shameless plug) throw some sponsorship dollars in toward it that will go a long way. FYI Keith Bodin is a good guy who sponsors lot of SN events. Take Care
June 19, 2012 08:09PM
Thanks Brad!

[www.facebook.com]
June 20, 2012 11:01PM
Brad Wells Wrote:
> being from Houston, we consider Dallas, Ft Worth
> area part of Oklahoma. Lol.

Funny guy! It's 4 hours to the metroplex...you should come to some of our DFW events later in the year.
July 08, 2012 10:05PM
What's the time schedule for the doubles warm up Friday , and will pre-register be possible then ?

Oh,no not the water again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013