Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

15th Annual Tishomingo Fall Classic - October 13th & 4th, 2-12

Posted by DG Guy 
Re: 15th Annual Tishomingo Fall Classic - October 13th & 4th, 2-12
October 11, 2012 11:35PM
Glad to hear so many are coming out. Im hoping we have a great turn out. Ive got 8 coming down with me from Memphis. Sadly the ace race was scheduled the same weekend and was pre-registered so people were already committed to it. Im sure AL and MS will come out in droves. Heading out at 10 am and should be there by noon. See everyone there.
October 12, 2012 07:38AM
I played warrior ridge yesterday in the rain.....

Dillon Gourley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Drake. Tushka gets no love. We sign a
> waver for this reason. We hardly EVER get to play
> tushka. Warrior ridge is probably the most
> dangerous course dry and we play it, climbing up
> and down all those rocks, I don't know how many
> times I've slipped on that green moss. Hasn't
> rained in a week. Risk are a part of life. Would
> love to play tushka, just my opinion.
>
> Tushka or no tushka ill be there, can't wait!
October 12, 2012 01:17PM
Not sure where you guys are but we've had plenty of rain as recent as yesterday which has not allowed Tushka Run to dry enough to provide decent footing. The county delivered some wood chips today which we will be putting out on the course so hopefully we can play Tushka Run during the Ice Bowl in January. Also, hope to install some steps on some of the steep holes. If you are on the fence about attending the 15th Annual Fall Classic this weekend, jump off and come join us and be a part of history in setting a new attendance record.
October 12, 2012 06:35PM
I will not be attending this weekend as I am in constant pain now due to the joints in my left leg. I would love to be able to play but I go back Monday to the Dr. AGAIN, and pay more money AGAIN, and get to try something different AGAIN. Maybe one of these different treatments will actually work.
October 13, 2012 04:37AM
Ricco, Have you tried accupuncture? If not, give it a try. They are indeed "miracle workers"!
October 14, 2012 10:15AM
Bubba, I am inclined to try anything that will relieve me of this constant pain. I go tomorrow for another consultation. If you can suggest an acupuncture center in north MS or AL or the Memphis area I will consider this option. Thanks.
October 14, 2012 07:26PM
Ricco, Dr. Ly has offices in Muscle Shoals, AL, Huntsville, AL and Memphis, TN. I went to the one in Muscle Shoals. The telephone number is (256) 446-6607. Give him a try you will not regret.
October 15, 2012 09:58AM
I would like to thank Bill McCarty for his usual fine job running this event, Jonathan Ray for a creative and challenging Skins Match, Jack White for his work manicuring the courses, the caterers for the lunches and the park staff for their hospitality and amenities. I had a wonderful time participating in the tournament and listening to some incredible guitar picking around the camp fire Saturday night.

Congratulations to Barry Gill and all the other winners. The best I could do was next to last in the PGM division.

Gary Wagoner
jcb
October 15, 2012 10:22AM
I had a great time as usual at Tish. Played with a great group of guys and met some new friends. Thanks to Bill McCarty for running this event. Also thanks to Bill Breeken and all the park staff for putting up with us all once again. Congrats to all the winners. Maybe next time I won't leave my game in bed on Sunday.
October 15, 2012 10:45AM
The Saturday night music was incredible. What a GR8 weekend! Saw some spectacular Fall foliage driving home on the Trace. I just love North Mississippi.
October 15, 2012 11:27AM
Another Toureny ya'll should not have missed!! DEFINITELY one of the lovliest Parks in MS - ESPECIALLY in the fall!!

Thanks to Bill McC and all the crew and Park folks that made it a great weekend...

Little wet in the last round - but I was using my WATER ACTIVATED OMEGA 1.1 - and it REALLY came through!!!

Congrats to all that competed and participated - you all know what a quality event it was!! Kudos 'Mingo!!!! Griff
October 15, 2012 03:29PM
I had a great time playing in the tournament. I played with a lot of great people and met some new folks. Only thing i had a problem with was how it was organized on the 2nd day. Overall though it was a good weekend.
How was it organized?
October 15, 2012 08:35PM
Well, the cards changed 2 or 3 times before the round and one of them was after some people got their score cards. Had a final 5, but because there was a tie for 2nd and 3rd we had a final 6 (most tournaments mean a tie for 5th would cause a 6th person in the skin). There was no awards ceremony. My cash was given to 6th place but was corrected after (same thing happened to me at this event in advanced when I tied for 1st). All of these wasn't really a big deal but all could have been avoided. Do not take this personal Bill, just a players opinion and something to work on in future events. You are human.

Thanks for the tournament to both Bills, park staff, Jack White, Grass roots and everyone that helped out with this event.
October 16, 2012 08:57AM
It is not easy being the TD - especially when faced with a lot of players that did not want to stay for the Finals as they were wet and beat by the rain in the Final round.

I appreciate Bill and everyone's hard work, but had Bill refused to let those who wanted to leave to get their winnings, many likely would not return next time. Ithink given the Sunday circumstances, things went REALLY well!! Good job Tishomingo!! Grff
October 16, 2012 08:59AM
By the way - I hit the HOMESTEAD restaurant on the way outta town -

DANG THAT PLACE HAS SOME EXCELLENT CHICKEN AND DRESSING!!!!

just sayin'..........Griff
October 16, 2012 09:19AM
dustin morris Wrote:
> Well, the cards changed 2 or 3 times before the
> round and one of them was after some people got
> their score cards. Had a final 5, but because
> there was a tie for 2nd and 3rd we had a final 6
> (most tournaments mean a tie for 5th would cause a
> 6th person in the skin). There was no awards
> ceremony. My cash was given to 6th place but was
> corrected after (same thing happened to me at this
> event in advanced when I tied for 1st). All of
> these wasn't really a big deal but all could have
> been avoided. Do not take this personal Bill,
> just a players opinion and something to work on in
> future events. You are human.
>
> Thanks for the tournament to both Bills, park
> staff, Jack White, Grass roots and everyone that
> helped out with this event.

The cards changed ONCE, we went from threesomes in the Open Division to Foursomes to improve the flow. It seems that all the other Open players dealt with it pretty well!

Any other changes were due to players that did not play the last round!

You can blame the "no awards" on most of the winners wanting to cash out early, they would not even let me eat my lunch!

There were very few who stayed for what was left of the Awards! I could have told 75% of the winners to wait, and I would have had a lot more people complaining because it did not go their way!

Also, if you had read the posted flyer, it stated "Final Five for the top five Open scores, up to six players with ties".

The six card was moved up to show those that were in the Final Five, which caused the confusion in your final cash spot, sorry about that!

There may not be any future events as far as I am concerned! It seems that everyone, even those who are just starting to play the game, know more than I do, let them step up and start running some events!

On another note, if anyone knows any of the novice players; Adam Scales, Matt Cox, Patrick Fowler & Tanner Collins, please have them contact me or the Park office ASAP. The park office is 662-438-6914 and my number is below!

I think I have strep throat, so I may be a day or so before I get the results up.

Later

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
October 16, 2012 09:20AM
I still think it could have been avoided. If he had the prizes already set up before the skins (I believe he had them all ready before the skins), he could have easily had the awards before the skins and whoever wanted to stay and watch could stay. I am not downing the event, just something to think about.

bryan griffin Wrote:
> It is not easy being the TD - especially when
> faced with a lot of players that did not want to
> stay for the Finals as they were wet and beat by
> the rain in the Final round.
>
> I appreciate Bill and everyone's hard work, but
> had Bill refused to let those who wanted to leave
> to get their winnings, many likely would not
> return next time. Ithink given the Sunday
> circumstances, things went REALLY well!! Good
> job Tishomingo!! Grff
October 16, 2012 09:29AM
dustin morris Wrote:
> I still think it could have been avoided. If he
> had the prizes already set up before the skins (I
> believe he had them all ready before the skins),
> he could have easily had the awards before the
> skins and whoever wanted to stay and watch could
> stay. I am not downing the event, just something
> to think about.
>
> bryan griffin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It is not easy being the TD - especially when
> > faced with a lot of players that did not want
> to
> > stay for the Finals as they were wet and beat
> by
> > the rain in the Final round.
> >
> > I appreciate Bill and everyone's hard work, but
> > had Bill refused to let those who wanted to
> leave
> > to get their winnings, many likely would not
> > return next time. Ithink given the Sunday
> > circumstances, things went REALLY well!! Good
> > job Tishomingo!! Grff

please TD a tournament before giving advice on how to do so.
October 16, 2012 09:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 09:54AM by dustin morris.
October 16, 2012 09:35AM
thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 10:01AM by wayneacree.
October 16, 2012 09:36AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 09:54AM by dustin morris.
October 16, 2012 09:39AM
pm'ed..done..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 09:46AM by wayneacree.
October 16, 2012 12:45PM
Exactly why I no longer run tournaments. Weather has a way of ruining your best laid plans, especially when large numbers of players quit due to the weather and fail to notify the TD. Not to mention, the folks who always know more than the TD. Every "armchair TD" should experience the fun of running an event, and not just one where you have beautiful weather, but run one where the weather fails to cooperate.

rWc3523
October 16, 2012 12:52PM
Here is a recap of Bills sins and inequities according to Dustin Morris:

1. The initial Leader Board layout was not the final layout. (It rarely is. Did anyone suffer for it?)

2. The Skins match was for the top five scores and not the top five finishers. (Who cares?)

3. The Skins match was held before the awards ceremony. (It always is and with good reason.)

4. Most players were tired, wet and cold and did not stay for the awards ceremony. (Can the TD control this?)

5. A mistake was made in the payout and corrected. (What more can be required?)

Yes, there is a 100 percent guaranteed was for a TD to avoid such mistakes: let someone who is perfect step up and TD...but I suspect Jesus has bigger fish to fry. What you see on tournament day is just the tip of the iceberg. What you do not see are those who have walked in Bills shoes making such picayune criticisms.

Do not let this bring you down, Bill.

Gary Wagoner
October 16, 2012 01:05PM
Yes, I stated them to help fix not to take personal. I said that on my original post. Why could you not have the awards before skins if you have the awards ready to give out?
October 16, 2012 01:06PM
I even posted that it wasn't a big deal and people are making it a big deal.
October 16, 2012 01:06PM
Exactly, Gary

I know you've ran plenty of events and a few where the weather was abysmal ( I was at a couple of them). I also know how much work Bill puts into his events and and how much legwork is involved before game day. I don't think those sponsors came to Bill. just sayin'

rWc3523
October 16, 2012 01:30PM
Closing out the books on the 15th Annual Tishomingo Fall Classic. . .

Thanks to all those who came and brave good and fowl weather to compete. I hope that most of you had a good time!

Some thanks need to be given:

First, last, and most of the places in between, Thank you Jack White for the many hours worked to make these courses possible and manicuring them to such nice playable shape, and for setting up the board, with James Burtons help, also for helping with the scorecards, and about a hunderd things I am sure I am forgetting, like walking holes one to fourteen and collecting all the sponsor signs after the Final Five!

To Bill Brekeen and his Park Staff, here, again, a lot of the course work was done by his very limited staff and by Bill personnaly. With all that they have on their plate, it's a wonder they can do any of this!

To all of our sponsors, too many to list here, thanks for providing your services to the players, I heard only good things about the food and services you provided, which is amazing itself!

To a good friend, Barry Gill, for bringing the borrowed baskets back for the load out and carrying one down for the island hole for the skins game, and bringing it back to tourney central.

To Michael Fisher and Cody Roberts for helping load everything up when it was apparent that there was not going to be much of an Awards! And to Cody for helping out since he could not play!

As the years go by, I only remember the good stuff, and all the little things that don't quite go right seem to pale by comparison. I have been blessed by this great sport we all love and almost all the people, friends, and players I have mnet along the way. If it were not for you I would have given it up long ago.

So, that being said, please let me know I I misspelled anyones names in the following results so that I can make the changes before sending it in to the Southern Nationals to get your points tabulated.

Can I get a drum roll please. . .

See you all at the Lee Naquin the first weekend in November and at the Pickwick Plantation lease Pass the Stuffing III the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Until then, be blessed and keep smiling!

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
October 16, 2012 03:35PM
Collin purser's score is wrong I think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 47
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013