Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

15th Annual Tishomingo Fall Classic - October 13th & 4th, 2-12

Posted by DG Guy 
Re: 15th Annual Tishomingo Fall Classic - October 13th & 4th, 2-12
October 16, 2012 03:37PM
dustin morris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I stated them to help fix not to take
> personal. I said that on my original post. Why
> could you not have the awards before skins if you
> have the awards ready to give out?

Having the awards ready is only one part of the task. Before skins became a standard tournament event the last of the cards would be turned in and lots of folks would be sitting around at the awards venue grumbling about what was taking so long. The TD has to check the all the scorecards, record and tally them on the leaderboard, arrange the cards in order of finish, identify the cashing players and get them corresponding with the purses/merchandize, make change in the pro payouts for ties, make notes for the awards ceremony, get the CTPs or other special events in order, etc. etc. People were in his face asking questions, wanting to leave early, disputing scores, complaining about the weather, on an on ad infinitum all the while people were whining in ever increasing volume about having to wait.

The skins match is primairly a diversion to give the players something to do and allow the TD a period of piece and quiet to take care of buisness, double check the results and avoid mistakes that are made in haste because everyone is breathing down his neck.

Gary Wagoner
October 16, 2012 10:21PM
And invariably, the TD will have cashing players demanding their winnings while he's trying to make sure everything is correct. And invariably, said interruptions will cause errors that people will point out on public message boards.

rWc

P.S. I regret not showing up and making the MPG a foursome.
October 17, 2012 08:23AM
I will get the chance to host an event, hopefully soon.
October 17, 2012 09:31AM
Dustin,

After you have committed to TD an event Email John K and ask him for rights to the TD Forum. I have made several posts under Garys Helpful Hints that a first time TD might find beneficial.

Gary Wagoner
October 17, 2012 09:34AM
Thanks
October 17, 2012 01:21PM
We'll see ya at the Hill, Bill.......

Hang in there- hope ya feel better! Griff
October 18, 2012 08:13AM
dUSTIN... yOU prove just how LITTLE yOU Know and Are!!!
October 18, 2012 08:27AM
How so?

I think I have proved that I am not afraid to state my opinion. It is my right and I will use it. People can take it however they want but I did not mean for anyone to take it personally.

Jack C. Wrote:
> dUSTIN... yOU prove just how LITTLE yOU Know and
> Are!!!
October 18, 2012 02:29PM
dustin morris Wrote:
> Collin purser's score is wrong I think.

Dustin,

You are right, must have been looking at another card and got them mixed up! I have corrected teh file I send in to the Southern Nationals so it will be correct.

His actual score was: 46 - 53 - 50 - for a total of 149.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
Hey Bill, they are discussing the novice division over on this thread if you want to chime in on why you think you should DQ a player who has played novice more than once. The two guys you wanted to DQ for wanting to play novice finished last and 3rd from last in AM, yet 3 of the 4 novices would of cashed in AM. I'm sure they'd love to hear your logic, [www.sndg.org]
Y8Z
October 21, 2012 02:20AM
Honestly Bill, I think u did a fine job! The circumstances were of the extreme, and u did the best job possible! I really enjoyed the tourney and your company. The only advice I have is to separate urself from everybody when the last card is in. When everything has come together, then your job is done. Cash out who u want when u want. Although since you've separated urself and had time to think, the skins match is over and it's time for the awards! Again, good job! Ty for the hospitality, and the CE aviar!!!! See ya at the Naquin sir!!!
October 21, 2012 09:10AM
Novice is a division made for First time Tour Players...Now if You want to Run off players like have been run off from this website then keep sticking YOUR fingers is the stinking Stuff!!!
October 21, 2012 09:19AM
Oh, by the way...cut out long pin for #13(Ridge),New hole#14. #15 &#16 Long will be next; then new #18
Jack C. Wrote:
> Novice is a division made for First time Tour
> Players...Now if You want to Run off players like
> have been run off from this website then keep
> sticking YOUR fingers is the stinking Stuff!!!

Show me where it says that? Seems like wanting to DQ a novice would run players off to me? How is it you told Dustin, "you prove how LITTLE you know".
October 22, 2012 06:46AM
PDGA has a rec and novice division in majority of their events. They seem to be doing fine.

Jack C. Wrote:
> Novice is a division made for First time Tour
> Players...Now if You want to Run off players like
> have been run off from this website then keep
> sticking YOUR fingers is the stinking Stuff!!!
October 22, 2012 02:52PM
Dillon, my post on that thread:

Since the beginning, in the Southern Nationals anyway, Novice has been a "play it once" division for the first time tournament player, afterwhich they moved into their repective divisions to compete. It's purpose was to take away some of the competitiveness out of the mix to allow the beginning player to just "have some fun", and recruit new players and grow the sport! Fun is a thing the Southern Nationals has ALWAYS been about!

To have a novice player continue in this division, shooting scores that would allow them to either win or cash in the Amateur divisions seems silly! Why, when you can take a stack of plastic home instead of a trophy and a disc tops? I guess, after I play and fail to cash per the guidelines, I will start playing NOVICE! Yea, Right!!! How far do you think THAT would fly? But by your "published rules" it is possible!

It has been, perhaps, an "unwritten" rule that has been in place since I started playing! Maybe it needs to be spelled out! Also, we have no "Novice" division listed, unless you are calling "recreational" Novice, and then THAT needs to be spelled out.

All the crap I have heard lately about what a TD can and can't do about this division, and mostly from "beginning" players is just that - CRAP!

Any future events I TD will no longer offer a Novice division, and if one is asked for by three or more players, it will be TROPHY ONLY!

417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
October 22, 2012 04:24PM
SN has a division for novice, rec, and intermediate all in one. That just makes it where novice and recreational people can't compete and intermediate winners get a lot of merchandise for their win. Just my opinion.
October 22, 2012 04:27PM
I disagree with that. There are a lot of players that can not compete in INT am. I dont think forcing those players out of novice is a good idea. I do 1 of 2 things. Either every novice get a Player pack for entry or spread out payout 100% of the feild. Telling people that since they have played novice then they are ready to play INT is absurd
October 22, 2012 04:30PM
Exactly head. There was a particular instance last weekend and the guy couldn't play novice, and came in 3rd to last in Int. I'll choose my tournaments wisely from here on out...
October 22, 2012 04:32PM
of course if we would enforce the ratings that Bluff is doing that would fix the majority of this problem!
October 22, 2012 04:34PM
head Wrote:
> of course if we would enforce the ratings that
> Bluff is doing that would fix the majority of this
> problem!

You got it.
October 22, 2012 06:11PM
dustin morris Wrote:
> I will get the chance to host an event, hopefully
> soon.

Dustin, "getting a chance" will never happen! You must step up and take the bull by the horns.

Some good advice though; you could just come up to a TD and ask them if there is anthing you can do to help out. Most will be very happy for the help! There is a lot more to hosting a good event than showing up on tournament day and taking entry fees, a LOT more! You don't EVEN want to start out hosting if you do not have quite a few "TD" skills already mastered!

And a thick skin is not a bad thing either. . .

Play on. . .

417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
October 23, 2012 06:42AM
I asked tishomingo if I could host an event and was told that the schedule is full. Yall act like it is rocket science to host an event. I know there is more to it. But I guarantee that if I hosted a local tournament, I could get more locals to show up. Wierd how there wasn't many there.

DG Guy Wrote:
> dustin morris Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will get the chance to host an event,
> hopefully
> > soon.
>
>
> Dustin, "getting a chance" will never happen! You
> must step up and take the bull by the horns.
>
> Some good advice though; you could just come up to
> a TD and ask them if there is anthing you can do
> to help out. Most will be very happy for the help!
> There is a lot more to hosting a good event than
> showing up on tournament day and taking entry
> fees, a LOT more! You don't EVEN want to start out
> hosting if you do not have quite a few "TD" skills
> already mastered!
>
> And a thick skin is not a bad thing either. . .
>
> Play on. . .
October 23, 2012 09:32AM
I could be wrong but I am getting that everyone's entry combined = $3060. That is higher than the amount of the tournament is worth. There was around $1000 added cash.
October 23, 2012 10:20AM
Correct me if im wrong but with bill being the main vendor of the payout, he should have made about $3-5 a disc. All of the signs made for the tournament was made by bill so there is some more money. Trophies also made by bill. Not to mention that I am sure he sold some discs while he was running the event. I am pretty sure Bill made a pretty penny on this event. Bill did put in a lot of work for this event, but i do not think its over $1000 worth of work.
Well Dustin, you forgot $335 of entry went to SN and park fees, but still...

Wonder if there was a fee that went to the Chickasaw Disc Golf Club ? Lol
October 24, 2012 08:22AM
dusty, Tish is Full! Go somewhere that needs a tourney and start something. Start w/ talking the park into a tourney and the city board...and on and on, going somewhere already set up would be EASIER though!!!
October 24, 2012 08:39AM
Dillon,

I checked with Bill Burkeen and there are some open dates outside of the time frame you discussed. Or, like Jack said, choose another venue. Pick a date that doesn't conflict with nearby events and schedule it on the SNDG calendar. Its all part of being a TD.

When trying to prove that you can build a better mouse trap nothing speaks more eloquently than success. I will be amongst the first to congratulate and thank you for a job well done and Bill McCarty and Jack White will be right there with me. The series can always use another good TD. Nay sayers not withstanding, you will find it a very rewarding experience.

You are absolutely right about running a tournament, it is not rocket science; nor is laying brick or plastering a ceiling. One thing I have learned over the years is that a skilled craftsman makes his job look deceptively easy.

Gary Wagoner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 08:43AM by Gary Wagoner.
October 24, 2012 08:54AM
OK little boys..."moving up is absurd" Those that move up, continue moving up; where those that stall will stale!!! ALLways. You move up to learn to play better!!! You ONLY play down as a power trip or to recover from something...Tell Me how yOU learn from those that don't know!!!
October 24, 2012 11:39AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 11:42AM by dustin morris.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013