Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Announcing the 13th Annual Tishomingo Ice Bowl & Survivor Doubles January 12th & 13th 2013

Posted by DG Guy 
Announcing the 13th Annual Tishomingo Ice Bowl & Survivor Doubles January 12th & 13th 2013
December 04, 2012 11:14PM
Tishomingo State Park
will be Hosting the
13th Annual Tishomingo Ice Bowl and Survivor Doubles
January the 12th & 13th, 2013.

Please bring canned goods and any items you would like to donate to the silent auction.

At the moment all of the Family Cabins are open, contact the Park at 662-438-6914 or go online to reserve one.

As usual, the New Group Huts will be available for $8 per person, per night. Jus bring your sleeping bag, pillows, toiletries, and food if you do not want to eat at any of the local restaurants!

I will be updating this thread as we get closer, so keep checking back!

Feel fee to contact me if you have any questions.

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 05:17AM by John K.
WILL ALL DIVISIONS BE RECEIVING AN "ICE BOWL" sign up disc? or will this be for ONLY the division promoted which is the PRO, women..With a PAID entry,..
.ALL ADVANCE players were mis-informed about this issue as to last event Bill I want'ed it to be cleared up before me, and alot others drove along way to donate money..Just saying a souvinior would be nice..
a new one..not last years
with other peoples names in the bottom of it...just saying.....class
It would be nice if we could think of "The Charity" and not "Me, Me, Me" at one Disc Golf Tournament during the year. These are charity events that attempt to raise as much money as possible to help out a local charity in the community which helps so many needy people. Look inside yourself and rethink your value system. Looking forward to a Great turnout for the 13th Annual Disc Golf Tournament. Make plans to attend!
Re: Announcing the 13th Annual Tishomingo Ice Bowl & Survivor Doubles January 12th & 13th 2013
December 10, 2012 08:31PM
Michael,

Just as in the last 12 Tishomingo Ice Bowls, there will be no players pack. There is absolutely no way to determine how many players there will be to be able to order enough.

I have never intentionally awarded a used disc when putting togther the prices. IF this has happened, no one has ever came up to me and told me so that I could correct it. IF it ever happend it would be due to players moving discs from one box to anohter one when they are looking at them. If I were to pick up an obviously used disc I would NOT give it out. If you had received one, you should have came to me so I could have fixed it! That is usually the way things are done.

As far as Advanced players being mis-informed, if they had read the flyer, the flyer clearly stated that All AMATEUR players , NOT AMATEUR DIVISIONS would receive a disc. It did not say all ADVANCED players would receive one. I do not know how it could have been any clearer. Also another clue would have been the difference in teh entry fees.

Here, again, if the Advanced players had come to me and said that they would like to receive the same "players pack" I would most certainly have done it. It would have been easy to do. In fact I beleive you requested me to hold two fo teh Wraiths for you, but you never asked for them!

Anyway, that being said, many players in teh past have complained about teh "Buy a Birdie" method we have done for many years. We will not be doing that this year. I put a lot of effort into trying to please the players! I believe that I do a pretty good job as there are never more that a couple that have anything negative to say. You just can't please them all, but if there way a way, I would do my best to do it.

Hope to see you all there. .

662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
The reason it got confused is b/c everyone in SN calls intermediate, AMS.....So when you say all Amateurs will get a players pack that is kind of saying that all amateur competitors are recieving a players pack. This would include Intermediate and Advanced (age and gender divisions aswell),

You stated:

"As far as Advanced players being mis-informed, if they had read the flyer, the flyer clearly stated that All AMATEUR players , NOT AMATEUR DIVISIONS would receive a disc. It did not say all ADVANCED players would receive one. I do not know how it could have been any clearer. Also another clue would have been the difference in teh entry fees. "

All amateurs players recieves a players pack, Not am divisions. That is agreeing that advanced is an amateur division. With that said, All the advanced amateur players did not recieve a players pack and they are amateur players.

It just wasn't clear, no biggy. Lets move on

Team Thrivin should be present at the doubles, Saturday is a flip up depending on work.
I think the advanced and intermediate ams are due an explanation for this players pack change. It was done at the Lee Naquin and at the Pass the Stuffing tournaments, without a clear pre-warning. There has been a lot of grumbling about it and you are basically going to kill off those divisions. Is this a push to try and move players up because it might go the other way and players move down or not play at all. Ams are going to explode while taking away the incentive to move up. Why move when it
Re: Announcing the 13th Annual Tishomingo Ice Bowl & Survivor Doubles January 12th & 13th 2013
December 12, 2012 01:51PM
Ed,

There is no change! There has NEVER been a players pack for anyone at any of the previous 12 Ice Bowls at Tishomingo.

The biggest reason for this is that you have no way to know how many players will show, for whatever reason! So it has never happened.

The flyer is above for all to read, if you do not understand it, contact me and I will answer any questions you may have.

662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
December 12, 2012 02:58PM
Is to estimate how many players would possibly be there. take your last 5 year's average and take about 8% off that. That is how much attendance has fell off over the last 5 years around the SN. If you order 5-10 to many, you can always pay out with them. These discs are so cheap, you ain't gonna loose anything if you do order a couple extra. IMO just saying.
Bill said he would get you a disc if it would make you happy....busting this way out of proportion. Im supprised people from TDGA are not asking you to quit with the ignorance over a players pack.
All I was saying was that if you
All I was saying was that if you
if you are trying to make advance players move up by eliminating their tournament disc, it may backfire. I want to add that of the 5 0r 6 Ice Bowls that I have played I have never received a disc. These are charity events that help communities stock their foodbanks. I don't want to discourage anyone from playing this one. People need the help and it makes Disc Golf look Good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 07:12AM by EdLee.
I was meaning for my message to go to flemming....did someone remove it?
This is for charity and anything that bill does to help the disc golfers(players pack, huge payout, etc.) will be taking away from charity. Giving to people that are less fortunate is a big thing to me and we should have more events like this. I plan on hosting some charity events in the next year. For this event, do not down grade it. You can do it to all his other events, but by running this one down is taking away from the less fortunate. Lets show up and raise some money!
Screw players packs. Good lord. Everyone has a pile of discs,shirts,etc.... Just give this time! Its Christmas for goodness sakes!

BIGFOOT lives !
December 14, 2012 12:49PM
Flick McWraith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WILL ALL DIVISIONS BE RECEIVING AN "ICE BOWL" sign
> up disc? or will this be for ONLY the division
> promoted which is the PRO, women..With a PAID
> entry,..
> .
> .ALL ADVANCE players were mis-informed about this
> issue as to last event Bill I want'ed it to be
> cleared up before me, and alot others drove along
> way to donate money..Just saying a souvinior would
> be nice..

Michael,

To make it VERY simple for you!

1. There will not be, nore has there EVER been a Players pack for ANY of the last 12 Ice Bowls at Tishomingo!

2. The Last event has nothing whatsoever to do with this one!

3. You mention Used discs with names in them, the only reason that would ever happen would be due to the fact that players move discs from box to box when they are looking at them. I always just pick teh disc up, if it looks like a new on, I use it. I don't usually inspect every disc I put in the payout. Here, AGAIn, why would you not say something at the event so that the disc could be exchanged? I have no proof this has even happend at Tishomingo or Pickwick! I NEVER give out used plastic in the payout, definately not intentionally.

4. You have mentioned Wall Doxey and the Lee Naquin payout issues on several of your facebook posts. I am confused! Do you think that the payouts at these two events has ANYTHING to do with me? I would like to know!

A question for you, since YOU seem to be so upset that YOU did not get a disc when you signed up WHY did teh advanced players not say anything at the event? I can only guess that you prefer the drama the handling things in an adult manner! I will offer the same deal to ANY of the advanced players who played teh Pass the Stufing 3, you can get a disc, but it will require the return of the $18 that was paid out. No big deal!

662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
December 14, 2012 12:57PM
EdLee Wrote:
> if you are trying to make advance players move up
> by eliminating their tournament disc, it may
> backfire. I want to add that of the 5 0r 6 Ice
> Bowls that I have played I have never received a
> disc. These are charity events that help
> communities stock their foodbanks. I don't want to
> discourage anyone from playing this one. People
> need the help and it makes Disc Golf look Good.

As to when, and if a players moves up, I have NEVER been one to hollar "bagger" when others do. I personnaly think it is up to the individual to determine when it is their time to move up. My ONLY issue are those who attempt to sign up for a division they are not qualified for, for what ever reason!

I do feel the SN Board needs to take some action to rewrite some of the rules or guidlines so that it is cleared to the players. There needs to be a pamplet publishied to give to all players at southern national events so that it is a lot cleared. Many do got get on the internet and simply are not aware when a rule gets changed, like the six month rule!

Years ago I took it upon myself to publish the then current SN rules in a small book form. Not sure it really helped!

662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
December 14, 2012 01:16PM
As anyone knows, I have always tried to make every event as good as it can possibly be! In the past, many had issues with the "Buy a Birdie" aspect of some of our Ice Bowls. They did not like that someone could actually "buy" the win! Even to the point of working to boycott the event!

So these handful of players, less that 5% of the total, FORCED me to change this! This year there will be no Buy a Birdie! Who is to suffer from this, yes, the CHARITY! So be it.

I expect all these people to come out and show what they can do, see if they can make up for over $500 that the charity could lose because those few big hearted players with a few more dollars in their pocket cannot buy the evet!

Times are hard, to be sure! I DO NOT want ANYONE to put themselves in a finacial bind to dontate to the charity. Give what you can, or don't! I have no issues whatsover! The Iuka Food Depot will be more than happy with anything we can raise, and those thay help feed every month will be even more greatful.

I have see the line of cars of those in need coming to pick up boxes of food, The Iuka Food Depot gives out over 800 boxes of food every month!

When I show up to give them the check and teh canned goods you all contribute. They Thank me from the bottom of their hearts for those they help who are not there to see it. EVERY TIME I tell them, it's not ME, it is EVERY SINGLE DISC GOLFER WHO PLAYED THE EVENT that deserves this thanks!

I am blessed to be a part of it and touched each and every year when I can give that check to them! No matter who complains or has issues, it means NOTHING compared to the help you all provide for those less fortunate!

So come on out, let have a great time, see if we can set or break some records.

662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
Well if y'all are done about this I plan on coming can't wait I
Love ice bowls see y'all there
All this complaining and the tournament is four weeks away. Unreal.
Got 3 new pin locations and one new hole cut in.Plan on sleeving and brush cutting next w/end. also plan new on:2,3,11, and maybe 9; wish I could do18, but the whole hole thing is a lot of ground to cover!!!
Jack your hard work is appreciated! If anyone has any unfriendly or unwanted discs we are needing to restock our rental disc selection (a collection box will be available at the tourney). We have introduced alot of people to the sport via these rental discs. Make plans to attend the 13th Annual Ice Bowl and help us support a local charity who does so much for so many of our less fortunate. Also, this could be Bill McCarty's last tournament at Tish. we want to thank him with a "huge crowd" for all the work he has done serving as tournament director for our events over the past thirteen years. Wild Bill, all your hard work has been really appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone and Best Wishes for a Blessed New Year!
Cant wait either! I love this place,courses,people there, and the charity. Good times!!!!!

BIGFOOT lives !

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
Trying to get back this w/end to set sleeves and finish up these holes and maybe a few more!!! Merry Ho Ho.
Jack, I would love to help you on improving these courses if all possible. I can send you my number in a pm or get with Bill and he has my contact information. Anything to help this grow and become better for everyone playing the game is good with me.. I am so ready for this tournament, it is one of my favorite just to come out and play and be with my friends and the people who travel to be here.
I must ask this,, Are you asking for USED unwanted disc for PAYOUT? or just rentals for the upcoming generation. From past events like wall doxey, where used disc were in payout for some folks. which I REALLY could not understand for someone that has over 1000 disc that are new, cheap may not fit someones bill so to speak..but its alot better than giving a USED SIGNED disc away for a pay out,, I mean,, 50 dollar entry fee, 50 dollars worth of gas, go play golf all day, 5 dollar meal.. Just to get a disc that they could find and keep at a park somewhere ..LOL thats how one man feels.. he said, He77. I could have gave 20 dollars to salvation army on my way to bigbee and found 2 USED disc from the year 2000 and kept em. LOL
DG Guy Wrote:
> EdLee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > if you are trying to make advance players move
> up
> > by eliminating their tournament disc, it may
> > backfire. I want to add that of the 5 0r 6 Ice
> > Bowls that I have played I have never received
> a
> > disc. These are charity events that help
> > communities stock their foodbanks. I don't want
> to
> > discourage anyone from playing this one. People
> > need the help and it makes Disc Golf look Good.
>
> As to when, and if a players moves up, I have
> NEVER been one to hollar "bagger" when others do.
> I personnaly think it is up to the individual to
> determine when it is their time to move up. My
> ONLY issue are those who attempt to sign up for a
> division they are not qualified for, for what ever
> reason!
>
> I do feel the SN Board needs to take some action
> to rewrite some of the rules or guidlines so that
> it is cleared to the players. There needs to be a
> pamplet publishied to give to all players at
> southern national events so that it is a lot
> cleared. Many do got get on the internet and
> simply are not aware when a rule gets changed,
> like the six month rule!
>
> Years ago I took it upon myself to publish the
> then current SN rules in a small book form. Not
> sure it really helped!
What needs to happen is SOMEONE READ the Rules as far as DIVISIONS.... persay.. ADVANCE.<~~~~ NOT A CLASS by itself like NOVICE.. I mean advance NOVICE maybe?? NA..thats what AM is supposed to be..what about ADVANCE AM....if advance is NOT an am division BILL. maybe YOU WILL START CASHING advance players instead of used plastic or what ever happend in walldoxey that pissed off the the few that got used disc. man u really need to really rethink before you drink .
Flick, I for one have had enough of your negative attitude. The Ice Bowl is a charity event and this tournament has always been or should be a "feel good" event to help a local charity. The "used and unwanted discs" were requested by me to make sure we have enough discs for first time players in an attempt to help "grow the sport". At times we have all of rentals out with others wanting to play. Please refrain from your negative comments which do nothing to reach our goals and objectives for the Great Sport of Disc Golf.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 42
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013