Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SOUTHSIDE SMACKDOWN IX 4-20-2013

Posted by southside 
Re: SOUTHSIDE SMACKDOWN IX 4-20-2013
April 21, 2013 08:49AM
This Cajun man had a blast, i would like to thank everyone for a great event that help put it on! Double D, thanks for the badazz advice!

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
Anonymous User
April 21, 2013 11:06AM

I think the mud wrestling chocolate cake was the best part of that tasty lunch!

Thanks Southside, great event as always! I got smacked down and loved it. Can't wait for next year already.
April 21, 2013 12:43PM
I have some pictures posted on my FB account and will post the rest tonight.Great job SOUTHSIDE!!

team birdiemonster.com-bill tyler
April 21, 2013 04:03PM
Thanks to Souuthside and all the volunteers, sponsors, and people who provided the food. Also thanks too all the great folks I got to play with my two rounds. It was a memorable day of disc golf.

Tommy Browning
Adv. Master
April 21, 2013 08:39PM
willieglynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you are talking about the best ran tournament in
> SN.....they will add more baskets before that
> happens.i'm sure they have thought of
> everything!just come play disc golf and have
> fun.no need to WORRY about anything else.SMACKDOWN
> SOUTHSIDE STYLE!!!

7 people per card(no added baskets), 4 plus hour rounds, Late players meeting, both rounds started late, rushed lunch(no time really for skittles or mini baskets), ring of fire over before alot of the am's even had a chance to get back to Muni. It was a Fun tournament, but the best ran tournament in SN? Try the Pot Of Gold my friend, which had none of those problems, and pretty much the same attendance

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
April 21, 2013 08:43PM
I am not bashing the smackdown, it was a great tournament and I had fun, but it had some problems that need to be worked out for next year.

April 22, 2013 12:31AM
niklpenny Wrote:

>
> 7 people per card(no added baskets), 4 plus hour
> rounds, Late players meeting, both rounds started
> late, rushed lunch(no time really for skittles or
> mini baskets), ring of fire over before alot of
> the am's even had a chance to get back to Muni. It
> was a Fun tournament, but the best ran tournament
> in SN? Try the Pot Of Gold my friend, which had
> none of those problems, and pretty much the same
> attendance

He's still new guys, don't hate on him to bad.
POG was preregister only, saved all those headaches of the huge number of day of sign ups that caused everything to delay. Rushed lunch? I was one of the last one to get to lunch and still had plenty of time... End of day events starting late, they called all of us up for skittle about 45 mins after we finished our round, then someone was told that they still had players who had not finished at USA. They held up all the events so those players could make it on time. You don't get 200+ attendance without proven performance as a great T.D.(s).

Southside, yet again it was a blast, You guys never disappoint. Awesome payout, I assume an awesome lunch as it was almost all gone before I got there lol, and lots of extras. I can't wait to play in Smackdown X, Thank You again Southside and all the Staff that made it happen this year.
April 22, 2013 12:45AM
Sorry, I ate ALL the food Eric!!! LOL The numbers skewed the event!!!! BUT, Ryan, they turned NO ONE away!!! NO ONE... try that some time.... they will adjust!!!! Pulling 212 speaks for itself..... Southside!!! Pot of Gold did not pay like this event!!! 3 courses next year and bigger than everr!!!! ... smackDown!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 12:51AM by Flyerbud.
April 22, 2013 12:53AM
Flyerbud Wrote:
> Sorry, I ate ALL the food Eric!!! LOL The
> numbers skewed the event!!!! BUT, Ryan, they
> turned NO ONE away!!! NO ONE... try that some
> time.... they will adjust!!!! Pulling 212 speaks
> for itself..... Southside!!! Pot of Gold did not
> pay like this event!!! 3 courses next year and
> bigger than everr!!!! ... smackDown!!!

Come on now, I would have won if you would have saved me some food. Sounds like Cottage Hill needs to be in the mix, at least I can hope anyway.
April 22, 2013 01:10AM
Will probably be the new Muni Gold, Eric... sorry I ate ALL the food!!! I probably would have played better if I had not been so full!!! LOL... there is always next year!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 01:31AM by Flyerbud.
April 22, 2013 06:00AM
Thank you so much SOUTHSIDE !!! I did not play this year but was designated caddy and enjoyed it!! You guys make it look so easy, so thank you!!! See y'all next year!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teresa Key
KEY CHAINS DISC GOLF
Fort Walton Beach, FL
April 22, 2013 08:29AM
Hate on me if you want, I don't care. In my opinion, since this is an opinion board, the tournament itself was great, but it was poorly ran, after somebody said in a post that I qouted above, that it would be the best ran tournament. It was not the best run tournament. That title goes to Mike Kernan and the POG so far this year.
If your gonna claim to have the best run tournament in SN, you can't have those problems, Thats all.
If Kernan can do it, you can do it.

April 22, 2013 08:44AM
I take delays and twice as much money anyday.
April 22, 2013 08:48AM
The biggest and best tornaments (ie worlds, usdgc) tend to have 4-5 hr rounds.
April 22, 2013 09:48AM
I agree double d, ryan u still have alot of events to play to really get a grasp on things

Nick Robichaux
PDGA# 54519
April 22, 2013 09:57AM
Btw even though i am from lafayette, mike kernan is not the best td in the sn, the title goes to jacques

Nick Robichaux
PDGA# 54519
April 22, 2013 10:14AM
Ryan, you have to understand..... one extra hole= 600 more throws
2 extra holes=1200 more throws.
Not much of a timesaver.......just sayin
April 22, 2013 10:49AM
DD0710 Wrote:
> I take delays and twice as much money anyday.

WHAT HE SAID!!!
April 22, 2013 10:49AM
Ryan... you are right and we are sorry you WON'T be back next year!! (?????) Ha HA, by this time next year you will be drooling to come back to the SmackDown !!!! We all enjoy the PoG as well and there is no reason to get in a pi$$ing match over which is better!!! We are lucky to have 2 such great tourney's as part of the SN series.... just saying... and we will miss you next year!!!
April 22, 2013 10:50AM
& the Pot of Gold won the lunch award this year. Preregistration is a good idea for an event of this size. Just a thought.
April 22, 2013 11:30AM
Agree with Bernie about pre-registration.

Maybe even a capped field

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 11:31AM by DISCKEY.
April 22, 2013 12:02PM
I had a blast Ryan its ok if ya dont like smackdown!!! Its your opinion! !!!
No put ya hands together for smackdown and southside yall did an awesome job and yes the best one day tournament in the SN cause POG dont pay enough money sure food maybe great but money and the courses we played is where the POG lacks! !! Its all good heck i found a two day tournament that tops POG and its on the same weekend its called AMG when ya ever play this you wont go to POG anymore nothing against New Orleans just found a better atmosphere :-)
All hail the smackdown best one day tournament in the SN. And by the way i had an hour and a half lunch at smackdown yall must of played to slow something ya should work.on in the future :-)
April 22, 2013 12:10PM
And POG payout will never rival Smackdown ever the smackdown crew did an awesome job raising money for this event! !!
If Lafreniere park would ever change there baskets that would be an awesome course but it has basket envy!!!!
April 22, 2013 12:13PM
They are going to use three courses next year, they do not want to turn away anyone!!! Something no one mentioned, is how reasonable the ENTRY FEEs are for this event and they still pay better than anyone!!!! $1000 for 1st in Open and they support and sponsor other events as well... they came to the Moffat Road Assemble of God fund raiser helped with cards AND gave a big sponsor package!!!! Southside is doing their best and we get the results.... thanks Southside!
April 22, 2013 12:33PM
Two basic types of td's are hard line logistics and soft. Hard liners stick to their schedule at almost all cost and tend to favor entry caps and early time limits on registration. Three of my favorite td's fall into this category: mike k, willy w, bernie s. If you run several big tournaments a year you probably need to fall into this category because your logistics need to be tightly organized to avoid tournament day delays and headaches, just like a business. The soft edge td's tend avoid entry caps and will make exceptions to help anybody out that wants to play. There have been business ran this way also, like family owned grocery stores(not too many years ago) that allowed their customers credit and delivered to those in need. There are pros and cons to both styles. I think we're lucky to still have a choice of both in the SN. No matter which style or compromise in betweem a td chooses there will be people that are put off by the inherent negative qualities of any tournament. Its up to the td to choose the options that they can realistically handle within the limits of their resources. Players fall into camps behind these 2 types of td's. Which ones do you mind pissing off the least? Total turn out over a numer of years at a particular event should show if you made the right choices. Also there is a transition point when an event starts to exceed 180 players. Third course on a one day event is usually not planned on until the issue is forced a couple of times.
April 22, 2013 12:48PM
Darryl....could not have put it any better. I think we are lucky to have two huge tournaments within a month of each other. Ill play both as long as I can. Love the PoG because of the courses and its in NOLA. Smackdown, to me, has the coolest nich with the belts. That is a great pride thing like the Actual Pot of Gold. Both great events!

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
April 22, 2013 01:03PM
Good explanation DD :-)
April 22, 2013 02:20PM
The P.O.G. And Smackdown are both great tourneys. Even the people who play like crap enjoy. Instead of getting into a pissing match over which one is better. I would love to see N.O.L.A. And Mobile join forces and put on a tourney together. Instead of pointing out the obvious problems in tournaments why not point out the good. I know when I play a big tourney I expect a fue things to go wrong , but I also notice everything that goes wright. And no one person deserves credit for these huge tourneys. The city is representing their state , and the city deserved the credit . Great job Mobile as always , had a friggen blast. Hope the little girl that got taken out by Chad during the ring of fire is ok. She had a sick ace during the skittles , finger pop "boom" way to go.

Hey Keith , Did you find my disc ?
April 22, 2013 02:28PM
Keith osborne Wrote:
> Hope the little girl that got taken out by Chad
> during the ring of fire is ok. She had a sick ace
> during the skittles , finger pop "boom" way to go.

That was Sydney..... and she is fine... a little sore/bruising, but she is a trooper!! And YES.... that was an awesome little finger pop :) Thank you for asking about her!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teresa Key
KEY CHAINS DISC GOLF
Fort Walton Beach, FL
April 22, 2013 03:22PM
You guys took me wrong, I had a friggin great time, it was an awesome tournament, I was simply providing a rebuttal to a comment someone made earlier about the tournament. I did not say the POG was a better tournament. I said it was a better ran tournament. There is a difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013