Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Veterans Match Play - August 3rd & 4th

Posted by bazkitcase5 
Veterans Match Play - August 3rd & 4th
July 15, 2013 01:54PM
*** Match Play Format ***

We will be playing 9 holes, 9 times - Come join us for something a little different and interesting!

Smack talk with your opponents is encouraged!

Veterans Park - Tupelo, MS

Tournament Directors:
Chip Strain: audiestrain [at] cableone.net
Clayton Nash: bazkitcase5 [at] hotmail.com

Schedule:

Saturday, August 3rd
Players Meeting: 8:30 am
1st Round: 9:00 am
2nd Round: 15-30 mins after last card is turned in (just a short break to get fresh pairings)
3rd Round: 1 hour after last card is turned in (lunch break)
4th Round: 15-30 mins after last card is turned in (just a short break to get fresh pairings)
5th Round: 15-30 mins after last card is turned in (just a short break to get fresh pairings)

Sunday, August 4th
6th Round: 9:00 am
7th Round: 15-30 mins after last card is turned in (just a short break to get fresh pairings)
8th Round: 1 hour after last card is turned in (lunch break)
9th Round: 15-30 mins after last card is turned in (just a short break to get fresh pairings)

Entry Fees:

Open - $35
Advanced - $35
Amateur - $25

Due to the format, we would prefer to have at least 8 entrants to open a new division (reasons to be detailed below)
*Exceptions can and will be made for Women and Jr. divisions - we will adjust how things are done, depending on how many shows up.

Format:

9 holes per round at Veterans Park - Adv. and Open will play the long tees, every other division will play the short tees
Match Play Format:
You will play against just 1 opponent at a time. Whoever has the best score on each hole, receives 1 point for that hole. If you get the same score, nobody will get a point for that hole. After 9 holes, whoever has the most points, wins the match and will receive 2 points for that round. If the score is tied, then we will be doing draws in order to save time, so each player will receive 1 point for that round.

To save time, a player may concede the hole/match at any time. If Player A shanks his drive OB and Player B puts his drive under the basket for a birdie, then Player A can go ahead and concede the hole for speed of play, but it is not required. However, once a player can no longer catch the opponent for that hole, then that hole is over and no more practice shots are allowed. Such as, if Player A has already thrown 3 shots and Player B has just managed to hole out in 2 shots, then Player B has already won the hole and the players should move on to the next hole. If a player is ahead by more points than there are holes remaining, then the match is over.

Groups will play 4 per hole, using the standard shot gun start. The 2 players that are playing against each other, will keep the score of the OTHER 2 players in that group and vice-versa. If one of the two matches for that group has been completed for that round, we ask that they walk with the other 2 players as they finish up their match. After both matches for that group is completed, each group can then turn in their cards.

Before the first round, pairings will be made by random drawing. If there is an odd # of players in a division, a random player will get a bye each round and receive 2 match points. In subsequent rounds, the random player will be drawn among those with the least amount of total points. At the end of each round, match points will be totaled and pairings for the next round will then be made. After the first round, high points will play high points, and so on. If at all possible, there will be no repeat matches until the last 2 rounds. There has to be at least 8 players in a division in order to prevent re-pairings before the last 2 rounds. If there are exactly 8 players in a division, then everybody will play everybody at least once, regardless of total match points, and then the repair rounds will continue after that. If there is exactly 10 players in a division, then everybody will play everybody exactly once, regardless of total points.

Pairing continues in this way throughout the 9 round tournament, hoping to avoid re-pairings if at all possible.

At the end of the 9 rounds, match points are totaled and prizes awarded by order of finish.

The payout % will be standard per division.

Please ask if you have any questions or let me know if I have failed to cover something.
Re: Veterans Match Play - August 3rd & 4th
July 15, 2013 02:42PM
We will be taking regisration for the SNAC at this event. Please see Zack Hudson , Tony Palmer, or Ronnie McCoy
July 15, 2013 02:57PM
Which 9 holes will we play?

Mississippi State Disc Golf
July 15, 2013 09:12PM
I believe it is random shotgun start on the 18 holes at veterans, so whatever hole you tee from and the consecutive 8 holes.
July 16, 2013 09:56AM
chip is correct
Anonymous User
July 30, 2013 08:48AM
Nash
9 holes per round at Veterans Park - Adv. and Open will play the long tees, every other division will play the short tees
Match Play Format:
You will play against just 1 opponent at a time. Whoever has the best score on each hole, receives 1 point for that hole. If you get the same score, nobody will get a point for that hole. After 9 holes, whoever has the most points, wins the match and will receive 2 points for that round. If the score is tied, then we will be doing draws in order to save time, so each player will receive 1 point for that round.

By reading this it appears being the winner of a match you could earn a total of only 3 points (win 1 hole and receive 2 points) it also reads you could score as many as 7 points (win 5 holes, receive 2 points). This is saying someone who has been defeated could win the tournament over someone who has not. Am I reading this correctly?

I believe in round points (head to head hole points) should be seperate from win/tie points that decide the tournament standings. Or is this how this paragraph should of been interpeted in the first place?
July 30, 2013 09:00AM
Your points on the holes and your points in the round are two separate totals. Whoever has the most points from the holes between you and your opponent is the winner of the match and gets two points towards their overall score. Points awarded on holes do not count towards overall score. I hope that clears it up.
July 30, 2013 10:32AM
chip is correct
July 30, 2013 11:19AM
Will there be a separate division for women?
July 30, 2013 01:48PM
yes
July 30, 2013 04:14PM
Would love to attend, but right now I do not believe I could hold out a possible 81 holes over two days. Quick question, if a player was to win the first five holes either by a combination of birdies or your opponent making bogeys or worse, then the match is over, Correct? That would be the scenario where you would want a twosome to finish the round while the other match continues. Then in that case would another match already be in play to start on the next nine? In other words you would not need to return to Tournament Central after every match? I am assuming that the second match would come from someone already in your group, Is that correct?
Anonymous User
July 30, 2013 05:19PM
After the match is over you follow your group out while the others finish. All groups return to tournament central when round is over for new pairings.
July 30, 2013 06:13PM
If I was on the fence then for me personally I will have to pass. Nine holes, possibly finish on holes 8,9,10 or any number away from TD central. Do this up to 8 times over two days, not a recipe for someone dragging a bad leg. Just a suggestion but could not two matchups be worked out on each card before first tee and then just play nine, have one match over and then start next match on the following nine. Was not going to play anyway and not trying to cause any issues, just thought it might "speed" up play instead of taking a 15-20 minute break between each nine holes.
July 30, 2013 06:23PM
This format intrigues me since it is similar to ball golf match events. My suggestion got me to thinking of other issues such as what do you do if you have an odd number in a division. For example 17 advance show up and you have 8 matches involving 16 players, what do you do with the odd man out? Does he sit out a round or does he play against another player in the Int or Pro division? Really wished I was able to play that many holes in two days, because I really like the idea of playing man on man and not necessarily the course.
July 30, 2013 07:41PM
Ricco Suavez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This format intrigues me since it is similar to
> ball golf match events. My suggestion got me to
> thinking of other issues such as what do you do if
> you have an odd number in a division. For example
> 17 advance show up and you have 8 matches
> involving 16 players, what do you do with the odd
> man out? Does he sit out a round or does he play
> against another player in the Int or Pro division?
> Really wished I was able to play that many holes
> in two days, because I really like the idea of
> playing man on man and not necessarily the course.

Love to quote myself so I found the info on TDGA FB page and an odd player will receive a bye and get 2 points first round if odd player and then afterwards a bye will be drawn from the players with the least points. My suggestion then would not be feasible with this as a factor. Yall have a great time and really wished I felt like making 9 trips up Heart Attack Hill.
July 30, 2013 10:16PM
Sorry you can't make it Ricky

Unfortunately, what you are suggesting isn't really feasible due to the way pairings are drawn based on high pts playing high pts and low pts playing low pts, which changes every round

although, if you had someone you trusted, you don't have to come off the course to see the fresh pairings - you would merely need someone to tell you who you play and where you start

also, the info on the TDGA FB page is posted in the first post here
July 31, 2013 05:00PM
I really really really would love to play this format. If I think I can hold up I may take your advice and also take my chances on staying on the course and resting between rounds. Maybe do some text tag and find out which hole I start on and make my way there. Either way hope yall have a large turnout with great weather.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013