Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The 15th Annual Lafayette Mid-Winter Open | Saturday January 18th | Pa Davis Park

Posted by jacques 
The 15th Annual Lafayette Mid-Winter Open | Saturday January 18th | Pa Davis Park
December 24, 2013 02:49AM
The Acadiana Disc Golf Association invites you to our

15th Annual Mid-Winter Open

Disc Golf Tournament

Schedule & Format

Saturday, January 18th at Pa Davis Park. Registration opens at 8:00 AM. A brief players meeting will follow the conclusion of registration and the first round will tee off at 10:00 AM.

All divisions will play the established tees except for novices and juniors who will play shorter "blue" tees on certain holes.

If you've played Pa Davis lately, you noticed the Parks Dept has very generously built a gigantic pavilion right in the middle of hole 18's fairway. We will be trying out a few different ways of re-aligning the course to compensate for this so expect a few temp holes to be thrown in to see how they play. We will be asking for your feedback on this after the rounds.

Tee time for the second round will be announced and posted at lunch, once all of the first round score cards have been turned in.

An awards ceremony will follow the second round once the final scores have been tallied. All CTP prizes, awards, merchandise and cash won by players will be presented at the awards ceremony.

Entry Fees

Pro Divisions

Pro Open - $30
Pro Women - $30
Pro Masters - $30
Pro Masters Women - $30
Pro Grandmasters - $30
Pro Senior Grandmasters - $30
Pro Legends - $30

Amateur Divisions

Advanced - $20
Advanced Masters - $20
Am Men - $20
Am Women - $20

Recreational Divisions

Novice - $10
Junior - $10

As a courtesy to players who wish to sign up ahead of time, this event will be listed on the Disc Golf United website. Pre-registration will not be required for this tournament, walk ups Saturday morning are 100% welcome.

Extras

CTPs will be out on the course, cash & merchandise.

Vegas style Ace Pots - $1 thru $5. Throw-off (if necessary) will be held while the scores are being tallied after the second round.

Novices and Juniors will receive a free disc.

Plaques/awards for the top finishers in all divisions will be presented.

Fundraising

Many of you know Keith Bodin.

When he isn't busy being a truly miserable human being (HAHAHAHA), he is busy thinking of ways to help others and once a year he and his family invite Disc Golfers to their home to partake in friendly competition, enjoy hospitality & raise money for somebody who needs it.

Last year, Keith crossed paths with a man named Bobby Siears, a cabinet maker by trade who closed his shop and devoted himself full time to making hand crafted cypress caskets and providing them free of charge to families who lose a child and would otherwise lack sufficient funds to buy one. Many times the death of a small child or infant is totally unexpected and the parents are usually young people themselves, totally unprepared to deal with the financial burden much less the devastating loss. The caskets Bobby builds help lift some of this burden and allow these people to bury their child with dignity.

Bobby's endeavor is called The Little Angels Foundation. Here is their website.

Here is a link to a youtube video explaining a little more about this. Watch it. You can't help but be impressed with this man's conviction.

Anyway, this all may sound familiar because Keith was planning the second installment of his Support an Angel tournament to benefit this man's work. Unfortunately, Keith had to cancel his event due to circumstances in his life that arose unexpectedly. I know Keith well enough to know that he was very disappointed in having to make this decision.

We (Lafayette) hold at least one benefit tournament every year. After consulting with Keith, we have decided to make the Little Angels Foundation the beneficiary of this year's Mid-Winter Open and here is how we are going to do it...

Lunch

Normally we serve lunch for free at our tournaments. This time we will be selling lunch for $7.00 - a bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo, potato salad, a smoked pulled pork sandwich, soda and dessert - with 100% of the money collected going directly to Little Angels Foundation.

Kids 16 and under eat free, we call this the Dylan Schultz Relief Clause.

Raffle & Basket Throw-Off

We will also hold a raffle for cash and merchandise. $2 per ticket or 3 for $5. It will be a 50/50 cash raffle but there will be merchandise in the pot too. In addition, the ADGA is furnishing an Innova Sport metal practice basket to be given away in a basket throw-off, one throw for each raffle ticket purchased. All proceeds (after the 50/50 winner is paid) will go directly to the Little Angels Foundation.

I know many folks were planning a trip to French Settlement for Keith's tournament. I ask you to consider driving another 45 minutes down I-10 and joining us at the Mid-Winter Open to support this same, great cause.

We set the entry fees low enough to make participating in the fundraising effort affordable for players so please plan on doing so if you will be joining us.

Directions

Pa Davis Park

Take the Louisiana Avenue Exit (Exit 104) off I-10.
Go south on Louisiana Ave. to the intersection of Simcoe St.
Turn left on Simcoe and travel approximately 1 mile to the intersection of Hines St.
Turn left on Hines and then left again onto Dawn St. which is the entrance road to Pa Davis park.
Veer right into the parking lot past the big building and park by the basketball courts.

You will drive past hole 1's tee box on the right hand side as you enter the park.

Pa Davis Park's address is 120 Dawn Street, Lafayette, LA

Contact Info

Tournament director - Jacques Giraud.

Contact me at the club's email address, acadianadiscgolfassociation [at] gmail.com
Re: The 15th Annual Lafayette Mid-Winter Open | Saturday January 18th | Pa Davis Park
December 24, 2013 01:48PM
The only words that fit are THANK YOU LAFAYETTE!!!!!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
Re: The 15th Annual Lafayette Mid-Winter Open | Saturday January 18th | Pa Davis Park
December 24, 2013 02:06PM
GOOD STUFF !!!

BMB
False River Fencing donates $100 directly into the ADGA Little Angels Foundation fundraiser in appreciation of Jacques Giraud and all he does for the miserable disc golfers of Louisiana.
December 24, 2013 06:41PM
I have the 100.00 from Tyson plus the 500.00 from SNAC. That is another 600.00!

[www.facebook.com]
December 24, 2013 06:48PM
Couldn't think of a better cause to support than this one. Still looking forward to being able to play at La Cote disc course again. Just gonna have to wait for better timing. Looking forward to seeing a lot of SN faces out at PA Davis. If you haven't played there in a while you will be in for a treat.
The Bob Classic, Feb. 22 at Sam Houston Jones State Park, north of Lake Charles, donates $25 for a CTP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 08:01PM by dcclayton.
December 26, 2013 02:28AM
Thank you, David!

Once again, your generosity is sincerely appreciated.
December 26, 2013 08:18PM
If by some miracle I'm not working on the 18th I will be there either to play, donate, or help with the tournament. Marvin is having tendonitis problems (aka discelbow) and I doubt that he will be there.
December 27, 2013 10:40PM
Joe, make them a deal. The birds and alligators get that day off and you take off too.
Marvin says this am he will play. Says the elbow is all that does work. lol. Bone spur in his heel is the main culprit. You need to play Joe.
December 28, 2013 08:06PM
Put me down for a lightly used Magnavox 5 disc DVD stereo surround sound system. To be used for my favorite SECOND Shot CTP on hole #10 for all divisions. System has 5 speakers, 1 sub-woofer, and all it's cables and remote. BOOM
December 29, 2013 03:58AM
Mighty nice, Mr. Nyce.
This tourny needs to get put on the schedule maybe?

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
December 31, 2013 02:04AM
Online registration via Disc Golf United is up and running. We are offering this as a convenience to players, pre-registration is not mandatory.

Usually we roll out our bag tags for the coming year at the Mid-Winter Open.

In order to keep from detracting from the fundraising element of this tournament, bag tags will go on sale later this year.

We set the entry fees low to make it affordable for players to play in the tournament AND buy lunch and get in the raffle so if you are coming to Lafayette on the 18th, please remember to put a few extra dollars in your pocket to support this fine cause.
January 01, 2014 08:01PM
I know Jacques is busy right now. Who is cooking the Gumbo? I need to get a list of what we need together for Bobby.

[www.facebook.com]
Never had a clause named after me before. I am not sure what to say. I am honored and grateful.
January 03, 2014 08:38PM
Dylan Schultz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never had a clause named after me before. I am not
> sure what to say. I am honored and grateful.

I told you before I will feed people just won't give them $$$$$.....HAHAHA

[www.facebook.com]
January 12, 2014 08:19PM
PA Davis is in the best shape I have ever seen it in, with the exception of hole 18 which is under construction. This should be a really great tournament regardless of that. Looking forward to seeing many of my SN people at this one.
January 13, 2014 12:58AM
Win your division this weekend in Lafayette and you will be taking home one of these...

The base of the trophy is the Little Angels Foundation's logo in case you were wondering. First place only as these are especially tedious to make.

Got the groceries squared away for lunch, all that is left to do is put them in the pot and on the pit. Remember $7.00 for chicken and sausage gumbo, potato salad, smoked pulled pork sandwiches, drinks and dessert with 100% going to the charity.

Also, don't forget the combination raffle and basket throw off - $2 a ticket or three for $5. Each ticket purchased gets you a throw to win an Innova Sport metal practice basket plus entry into the 50/50 cash raffle with merchandise added.

You don't even have to be good at Disc Golf to win something this weekend - that's my kind of tournament.

A chilly start to Saturday morning makes for good gumbo weather...

Course is in great shape! Going play a round or two at 1:30 if anyone wants to join up!

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
January 17, 2014 10:36PM
Among the merchandise included in the combination raffle will be everything you need to occupy your time in South Louisiana, when you aren't playing Disc Golf of course...

A BBQ prize package

A deep fry prize package

And a libation prize package

The only thing else you need is my phone number to call me when the food is ready.

Of course this is also a 50/50 cash raffle meaning one lucky participant wins half the money and each ticket purchased is worth one throw to win an Innova Sport metal practice basket.

Please join us tomorrow in Lafayette and help raise money for a great cause.
January 18, 2014 08:24PM
95 disc golfers came out today and supported a pretty great cause! It was a great event!
January 19, 2014 01:27AM
I definitely was not prepared for 5 person cards, 19 holes and new temp holes, 20+mph with gusts, 34 people in my divison, that @#$%& sidewalk on hole 19, the "almost possibility of having to finish with glow discs", awards ceremony light up by truck headlights, the Cajun raffle of whiskey and outdoor kitchen appliance's, Hot sauce gift pack CTP's, and a Sunday family get together style multi course awesome southern Louisiana lunch. Oh and the Batmobile was there. I got to see fellow disc golfers I now consider old friends. No matter the outcome I had a most excellent time, as I always do at every single ADGA tournament that I attend. To me personally Lafayette is doing work right now, when it comes to tournaments, I highly think Jacques and his officers have the formula and are just killing it. The spring fling was way over predictions, they ran a tournament in absolutely horrible weather earlier this year, still pulled 50+ people. The spring fling is fast growing to one of the biggest events around. My hats are off to you Lafayette, I consider you the best tournament city in all of the SN. Thx for rejuvenating in me today, what I love about this sport and what's it's about for me.

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
January 19, 2014 06:27AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I will compile and post the results later today and give a complete wrap up too.
January 19, 2014 09:56AM
IMO..... Here is the most important result:
Around 100 SN disc golfers got together yesterday and had fun playing and fellowshiping together to raising 1,557.00 for someone, that helps others in their most trying times of life!!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME WITH MY LITTLE CAUSE!!!

[www.facebook.com]
January 19, 2014 09:00PM
Much to my surprise, we were almost overwhelmed with players as 92 folks showed up to enjoy a FULL day of friendly competition, perfect temperature, strong winds, good food and most important to me, help us raise a nice chunk of change for a great cause as Keith stated earlier.

Sponsorships were provided by

David Clayton - Lake Charles Disc Golf and the upcoming Inaugural Bob Rogers tournament in Moss Bluff
Flight Club
Hooters Restaurants
Innova Champion Discs
Sterling Sugars, Inc
Reliable Power Systems
Keith Bodin - La Cote
Dane Melancon - Schilling Distributors
Johnathan Nyce
Joe Burback - Aboriginal Discs
Steve Timm

All of the sponsorship monies received went directly to the Little Angels Foundation and most of the merchandise went in the raffle to raise additional money for the same cause, which it certainly did.

Lunch was sold for $7 and nearly everyone chose to eat with us and that brought in $582 which also went to the Little Angels Foundation. Thanks to Audria, Jacquelyn and her friends for helping us set up and serve lunch.

The raffle went well and I believe it brought in around $275 for the Little Angels Foundation after the 50/50 split. Besides the money there were 8 merchandise items or packages that folks won and there was a pretty eclectic mix of stuff as Ryan said earlier - home furnishings and decorations, outdoor cookware, Disc Golf gear and a bunch of booze. The basket was supposed to be a throw off but it was pitch black by the time we would have been ready so it got added to the pot with all the other prizes.

There were nine CTPS out and they were won by Thunder Schultz, Nick Robichaux, Logan Weiss (2), Dwight Legrand (2), Keith Osborne III, Andy Perkins and Brennan Edwards. Brennan playing in the Novice division in his first tournament, hit his first ace ever on hole 9, winning the ace pot and a CTP in one throw which I thought was pretty cool.

The course was jam packed full and I appreciate everyone's patience throughout both rounds.

The results...

Please check your name and scores for accuracy and I will submit the results for official posting in a day or two once everyone has a chance to do this.

I always resist the urge to thank the people by name who help set up, run the tournament and pick up after for fear of leaving someone out. Y'all know who you are and I want you to know that it would be impossible to run events without you and I truly appreciate the way Lafayette comes together as a team and I think it really shows.

Last, but not least - we want honest feedback on the two temp holes that we played as holes 17 & 19 and the stretched out combination of old holes 17 & 18 that we played as hole 18. As everyone saw, construction of the pavilion on old hole 18 is progressing to the point of it becoming more than a minor inconvenience so the need to act on reconfiguring that part of the course will soon be at hand.

Hope to see our friends back in town in April for Festival Internationale and the 17th Annual Spring Fling!
January 19, 2014 09:28PM
Way to go Thunder!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
I like the 17 & 18 set up but wasn't feeling 19. Great job once again by my Lafayette peeps, the Tourny was awesome even though I played like a novice!!!!! But at least I didn't go home empty handed with my 2 ctps so can't complain to much. Once again great job and can't wait till next time I see everyone again.
January 21, 2014 09:31AM
I think with a couple tree's removed 17 & 18 combo would be good. 19 was ok

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

kch
Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013