Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf

Posted by 3puttking 
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
August 11, 2014 03:20PM
Kings Inn on Lamar Ave would be fitting for you Bernie.
BERNIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard the host hotel is in a bad part of
> town. Anyone know if this is true? If so, any
> other suggestions?

I pricelined a 3-1/2 star for $50 a night and got the hotel Memphis. It used to be a marriott or something similar. It's by the airport, so relatively close to downtown.
We have 156 players registered. The deadline to guarantee your players pack is August 21st. We will reevaluate pool assignments on the 22nd. It is likely we will remove 1 pool and reassign course schedules. The Pro/Advanced divisions will not change, their courses will stay the same. The only possible changes will be to the Intermediate and age protected am/adv divisions.

Remember there is no day of registration. You must pre-register for this event.

Things are really coming together. We have all the collars in the ground at Overton Park Golf Course. The next week will be making the courses championship ready. We are excited to have you all in Memphis!
NINFanInTN Wrote:

>
> I pricelined a 3-1/2 star for $50 a night and got
> the hotel Memphis. It used to be a marriott or
> something similar. It's by the airport, so
> relatively close to downtown.

ANYTHING close to the airport is very dangerous. That whole area is one big cesspool. I will not even drive through that area after dark.
I guess hotel selection really depends on budget, what you can and cannot tolerate, and what area you really want to be in.

IMO, I'd avoid the airport area. I'd probably look in Southaven before I stayed there. It's no more out of the way, especially if you have to play down there. If not, perhaps go north to Millington. Both areas appear to have the lowest rates.

As for the host hotel, I imagine the site itself is secure, and there really isn't much of interest in walking distance so you'd probably be ok as far as safety. There are several major hospitals nearby, including the Med, just in case! lol It's more of a central location for sure.

Most hotels downtown are $125 + a night, but I did come across a Vista Inn and Suites in the heart of downtown for $90 a night. Obviously not a fancy place, but the reviews were mostly decent. Also appears to have on site parking. Ideal for enjoying downtwon, if that's in your plans.

Just remember to use common sense regardless of where you stay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 09:11AM by ThomasD.
I agree with Wayne and Thomas. I would avoid the airport area. The host hotel is not bad at all. It is clean and attractive from the road. Its on an awkward piece of property that points it in a random direction. They have an out outdoor pool that looks clean and well maintained. It is right between Union and Madison off 240 through midtown. There is also a Holiday Inn and a Ramada called the Gen X Inn across the overpass. They are both more expensive (around $115 per night). Midtown is a much safer area and is 15 minutes from the Hill and 5 minutes from Overton Park. There are tons of nice places to eat and great bars down the madison strip in Overton square as well as down Union towards the park (many of whom are sponsors for the championships). I promise i did my due diligence in finding the best hotel for the cost in this area. if you have any questions feel free to PM or call me.

JR
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
August 12, 2014 11:19AM
I still have room in my truck to travel to SNAC/SNPC. I'll be leaving Thursday after work. I'm camping with Derek Drew but I can take you to your hotel if you've got a room booked with someone. I just wanna be there Friday to practice the courses. I live in P'cola but if you're on the way I can work with ya. Hit me up on Facebook or PM me here.

Josh Brigan
BADgolf Designs
OMG, Crawdaddy's a Grandmaster. That's one old mud bug! lol

Go get em Crawford!
jcb
August 12, 2014 03:07PM
So our courses may change one week before the tournament after practicing the ones listed for our pools? This isn't good.puttking Wrote:
> We have 156 players registered. The deadline to
> guarantee your players pack is August 21st. We
> will reevaluate pool assignments on the 22nd. It
> is likely we will remove 1 pool and reassign
> course schedules. The Pro/Advanced divisions will
> not change, their courses will stay the same. The
> only possible changes will be to the Intermediate
> and age protected am/adv divisions.
>
>
> Remember there is no day of registration. You
> must pre-register for this event.
>
> Things are really coming together. We have all
> the collars in the ground at Overton Park Golf
> Course. The next week will be making the courses
> championship ready. We are excited to have you
> all in Memphis!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 03:10PM by jcb.
August 12, 2014 09:29PM
Where are all the Advanced Masters players? There were 30 last year. There are only 11 signed up now.
James, its just fine. And that has been the case the entire time if you actually read the posts or the tournament page on facebook. We started with 5 pools to allow as many players as possible. If the pools dont fill we will condense them. I can assure you whatever you have practiced thus far has been in vain. Not one course is set up in tournament format...so practice doesnt do you much good. We did that for a reason. This is a championship and we dont want to create a home field advantage for Memphis golfers beyond what is already inherent. We want to create as level a playing field as possible. Sorry you dont agree but this has always been the plan and was clearly stated.
I tottaly agree with changing it up..that's a huge factor in a championship event. This is going to be a fun weekend. Nobody wants to camp hu?
Yes we have some campers already committed
James I cant believe you said that being a TD also.
jcb
August 15, 2014 09:46AM
God forbid I disagree on something. Doesn't mean I won't play but I do have an opinion just like everyone else.
August 15, 2014 11:56AM
19 entry fees were charged the $10 PDGA non-member fee before it was switched to no longer charging that fee.
I have refunded 16 of those. The other 3 individuals have not responded to my e-mail regarding the matter that was sent to the e-mail address they provided when registering. If you know how to contact these individuals, please let me know via private message. Thanks.

Tim Hartline
Robert Oliver
Nick Bailey

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 10:12PM by cox3.
You are correct James just fllustrated with negetively some pro players are not getting their way so boycott this is a championships get over it and come and play .Danny
Is there a big waiting list or does it look like everyone will get to play I'm not sure that I'll be able to attend just yet and it might be a last minute thing?? Don't want to waste the money if I can't make it also I might be bringing 3 others plus myself....(all ams)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 09:12PM by peckston.
Intermediate is filling up faster than any other division. The preregistration deadline for full players packs is August 21. As we get closer to that date it will fill quickly. Right now there are 182 players preregistered. Hope you all can make it. Courses are looking great!
I'm having trouble registering on discgolfunited.com....it won't let me check the box saying that I agree to the terms. Anyone else having this problem or know of another way I can register?
Forget the second part of that question. I saw the mailing address for registering. I may have to go that route.
Tmad...if you cant get it to work call me. 901 517-6012 Not sure what the problem is but i can try and help. You need to get registered asap. Shirt order has to be in Monday
Well, the host hotel is full... Glad I got a room/ with a hot tub for 80 a nite some where else!!! still undecided on where to play. Haven't heard much on added cash, would like a title and cash; but that is NOTHING when compared to playing USDGC!!! Maybe I'll just come and watch
no doubt Jack .. no doubt
August 18, 2014 11:19AM
Well Bud and Jack..Apparently,.It.s J.Ray.s way or the highway.

BMB
1st time in probably 10 years I have not sponsored the championships.....

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
August 18, 2014 02:58PM
Well guess what everyone, this tournament is still going to take place.
Gourley Wrote:
> Well guess what everyone, this tournament is still
> going to take place.

I hope it is a great success!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
Wow, over 200 already registered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013