Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf

Posted by 3puttking 
2014 Southern Nationals Professional and Amateur Championships
Hosted by-Grass Roots Disc Golf and Memphis City Division of Parks
August 30-31, 2014
Memphis TN
PDGA B-Tier

TD-Jonathan Ray
Email-Grassrootsdiscgolf@yahoo.com

SNDG Championships Event Team
Thomas Eskew
Terry Ryan
Stacy Ray
Riley Chambers
Mike Reaume
Brian Friedman
Tony Harris
Brandon Wilburn
Joe Seboldt

The City of Memphis, Grass Roots Disc Golf as well as all of our regional disc golf clubs are happy to host this years SNDG Championships. We have spent months planning, preparing, raising added cash and merchandise for this event. We have worked closely with the city of Memphis in an effort to provide the best Championship experience possible for our players.

We have the opportunity to temporarily shut down Overton Park Golf Course in the heart of Memphis and construct a championship level course on the existing ball golf course. Overton Park is a historic landmark in our city and houses the Brooks Museum, Memphis Zoo, Levitt Shell and Memphis College of Art. This beautiful park in Midtown Memphis will be our tournament central all weekend and play host to the finals for all divisions.

We are also happy to announce this years players party will be held in downtown Memphis on historic Beale Street at W.C. Handy Park and amphitheatre. The players party will have dinner available for all contests (included with your entry fee), music, adult beverages, the putting championships hosted by Dynamic Discs and the biggest ring of fire youve ever been a part of! If you have never visited Beale Street it is an experience you wont want to miss.

The SNDG Pro Championships are a USDGC qualifier. The top 5 unqualified scores in the Pro Open division will receive an invitation to the 2014 United States Disc Golf Championship at the Winthrop Gold course in Rock Hill, SC. This event is the most prestigious professional disc golf event in the world.

The SNDG Amateur Championships are a USADGC qualifier in the Advanced Mens field. The top 15% in the Advanced Mens Field ONLY will receive an invitation to the United States Amateur Disc Golf Championships in 2015 at the Toboggan Course in Milford, MI. This event is the most prestigious amateur event in the world.

YOU MUST HAVE PLAYED IN A SOUTHERN NATIONALS EVENT AND HAVE 2 POINTS TO PLAY IN THIS CHAMPIONSHIP. THERE ARE NO LONGER SPONSORSHIP EXEMPTIONS.

Here is the link to the invitation list: [www.sndg.org]
Beginning July 1 registration will be open to all invited players on Discgolfunited.com. You can also send in registration via snail mail to:
Grass Roots Disc Golf
1508 Madison Ave Suite 105
Memphis, TN 38104

After July 14th all remaining spots in each division will be opened up to any player with qualifying points

More details will be provided shortly on registration.

THERE WILL BE NO SATURDAY MORNING REGISTRATION

Entry Fees-
All Pro Divisions-$85
Ace pot is included in entry fee. (ace pot includes all divisions pro and am)
Open Division is capped at 90 players

All Amateur Divisions- $65
Ace pot is included in entry fee. (ace pot includes all divisions pro and am)
Advanced Field is capped at 90 players
Intermediate Field is capped at 90 players

The amateur players pack is already valued at over $100 and still growing! It already includes a tournament stamped disc, custom stamped gateway disc, voucher for free discs and merchandise at the Dynamic Discs Trailer, a tournament dri-fit and much much more.

Each round of the Am Championships will include a round winners disc. This means if you win your card you win a free disc.
Round 1- UB Disc Golf
Round 2- Latitude 64
Round 3- Dynamic Discs

Tournament Courses

OVERTON PARK GOLF COURSE
Overton Park is a municipal ball golf course located in the heart of Midtown Memphis. This historic park hosts the Memphis Zoo, Brooks Museum, Levitt Shell and the Memphis College of Art. This park plays host to concerts, festivals and many other exciting events throughout the year. We are constructing an 18 hole championship disc golf course on the the existing ball golf course. This course will be a challenging par 57 layout and will test you both your distance and accuracy on nearly every shot.

BUD HILL
Bud Hill is the crown jewel of Memphis disc golf. Barbara and Danny Daniels have been our gracious hosts for decades. Bud Hill is a private course in north Memphis that is one of the most manicured courses in the country. This course is beautiful with its elevation changes, beautiful trees, ponds, and amazing scenery just off banks of the Mississippi River. Bud Hill will play as a par 55 with trouble lurking around every turn.

LAKESIDE COURSE at EDMOND ORGILL PARK
This unique championship layout in Millington, TN has only be used for a few select tournaments and is absolutely beautiful. This course will test the strength of your arm and ability to play in the wind. This layout is much more technical than the original and brings a lot more water into play. Some of the most picturesque holes in the area are on this course. The Lakeside Course will play as a par 56.

SHELBY FOREST EAST
The Shelby Forest Courses have been staples of Memphis disc golf for 20 years and have hosted huge events in their history. The East course is very wooded and adds a significant amount of length when in the championship layout. It is very tight and will test your distance and accuracy. If youreyoure off the fairway on this course you could be in a lot of trouble. This park is absolutely gorgeous and some serious elevation changes on the back nine will provide a great test! Shelby Forest East is a par 54 course.

SHELBY FOREST WEST
The West course at Shelby Forest is far more technical and doesnt have the same length but provides a great opportunity to score if youre hitting your lines. This course provides beautiful elevation changes and scenery. This course can be a power players nightmare. Keep it in the middle if you want to score well here! The West course is a par 54.

CENTRAL PARK- SOUTHAVEN, MS
Central Park is a beautiful park just across the state line in Mississippi. You have to bring your arm to play here. The front nine is filled with lots of technical length that has to be navigated through large mature trees, creeks and some elevation changes. The back nine is shorter and more technical providing better scoring opportunities. Central Park plays as a par 55.

LATIMER LAKES-HORN LAKE, MS
Latimer Lakes is a shorter technical course that demands keeping it in the fairway. This course can provide a lot of birdies if you can navigate the woods and keep your disc in play. With the OB and water looming on several holes it provides a real risk vs. reward round. This course will be 18 holes and a par 54.

We are scheduling for 5 pools right now. This is a temporary schedule and is will not be finalized until a week before the event.

Pool A- Pro Open
Pool B- Pro Women, Pro Masters, Pro Grandmasters/ Senior, Pro Master Women.
Pool C- Advanced Men
Pool D- Amateur Men
Pool E- Adv Women, Adv. Masters, Am Women, Adv. Grandmasters, Juniors

ROUND 1 ROUND 2 ROUND 3 FINALS
POOL A-Lakeside Orgill Bud Hill Overton Park Overton Park
POOL B-Bud Hill Overton Park Lakeside Orgill Overton Park
POOL C-Overton Park Lakeside Orgill Bud Hill Overton Park
POOL D-Shelby West Shelby East Central Park Overton Park
POOL E-Shelby East Shelby West Latimer Lakes Overton Park

These Championships will be 3 rounds and then we will cut the field in EVERY DIVISION. Those who make the cut in all Amateur and Pro divisions will go on to play a final 9 at Overton Park Sunday afternoon except Pro Open. Those who make the cut in the Pro Open Division will go on to play a final 18 holes at Overton Park on Sunday afternoon.

We will stagger the tee times on Sunday so that we can get everyone involved for the finals and keep things rolling in the afternoon.

I will post a registration link as soon as the invitation list is posted.

There is also a ton of information about our sponsors and special events during the championship weekend on the facebook page. check it out!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 01:45PM by cox3.
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
June 23, 2014 02:22PM
Great info, Jonathan! This is going to be a spectacular event. Jonathan has done a LOT of work preparing for this tournament. Everyone who is eligible should make plans to attend. I hope to get invitation lists up soon. I am waiting for results from 2 tournaments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
Casey, which 2 tournaments are you waiting on???

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
no Bud Hill for Adv. Masters???

We would love to get everyone on the Hill Keith, but it is just an impossibility with 5 pools. Originally we wanted to make this a 3 day tournament which would have made that possible but alot of people didnt want that so unfortunately this is the way it had to go. It is possible that we can move some things around but we wont know until we start seeing how the pools fill up. I think we will fill almost every pool but its hard to say at this point.
Dimonlade we will post addresses for the parks and all locations that are pertinent for the event in the forum. You will also have a caddy book that you will receive at registration that will have all courses, ob's distances, maps and all of our sponsor information.

CountryGoose- Yes the ams will be playing a modified layout at Central. After two rounds at the Forest we felt it would only be fair to let them stretch out their arms. We wanted to design the pools in a way that all facets of your game are tested in order to win. It will be a great challenge for the up and comers.
I will try to get in touch with you... It seems that you are catering to pros and the advanced fields with this format.

I appreciate your input Keith. We are trying to do the best we can and inevitably you wont please everyone. You know that as well as anyone. We are not attempting to cater to any one group more than the other but we are trying to pair the courses in a way that challenges golfers in different ways through the cosmetics and design as well as matching the course difficulty to the ability of the golfers in that division. Im always happy to talk to you though.
I think it sounds awesome! Sounds like you guys really put in some work. No easy task securing Overton and Beale. I hope there's room left for a 10 pointer, lol.
Will there be any chances to play Overton and/or Lakeside prior to the tourney?
Thanks Thomas. The Lakeside course at Orgill will be set up the week of the tournament. Overton Park will be available for practice rounds all day Friday. Dynamic Discs will be running one round flex start event out there for anyone that is interested. Golf carts will be available on a first come first served basis (standard cart rental fee applies) for practice rounds only. I think you will be safe buddy, though i believe we will fill the open division.
In the past, all pro divisions that played from the same tees all tourney had a chance to win one of the USDGC spots. Format said top 5 Open players... why is it different this year. We have always given masters and g-masters as well as pro women a chance at the spots. Just wondering who made this call.....
Flyerbud, I did not know that had been the status quo. That being said, the open division is playing 9 more holes in the final round. I will look into ways to remedy that and update it here. Thanks
Good chance this will be the biggest and best SNAC / SNPC to date, only time will tell.

5 pools, you can't please everyone. Keep on keepin on 3puttking.
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
June 24, 2014 12:07PM
Buddy is right that any Pro division that played the same format/tees as Open division were afforded the opportunity to qualify for USDGC.
June 24, 2014 12:14PM
hobbit489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Buddy is right that any Pro division that played
> the same format/tees as Open division were
> afforded the opportunity to qualify for USDGC.

Yes but that has only been the case because they just so happened to have played the same layout in the past. There is no rule saying that different divisions are required to play the same layout. In the end, I'm sure the actual pools will be determined by the number of people who register in each division.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

So in that case, would it be "same layout" or "same pool" meaning the same course at the same time?
June 24, 2014 12:35PM
DISCKEY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So in that case, would it be "same layout" or
> "same pool" meaning the same course at the same
> time?

I'm not really sure of the answer to this question. My personal opinion would that it would need to be the same course at the same time. Maybe it would be a question for the USDGC. Maybe it would just be left up to the TD. I don't really know.

Casey Cox

My understanding is that it is the TD's discretion. If he chooses to include other open divisions they must play the same courses and pads. I am not sure that it has to be the same day. All that being said the problem is not playing the same courses or pads, it is the fact that the open division is playing 9 more holes than any other pro division and those holes count towards the total score for the championship. We designed it that way intentionally to create a larger presence during the finals.
June 24, 2014 02:42PM
We did something similar for the Port City Open that Willie Waite ran in Mobile for the AL state spot before they split the USDGC into Open and Performance Flight. Extra holes were a continuation of score for top 4 Open players. Simple fix is those extra 9 holes don't count for USDGC spot if you want to qualify other Pro divisions. If you only want to qualify Open division, then those extra 9 holes count for USDGC spot.
June 24, 2014 03:18PM
I know I would like a chance to play for the USDGC spots! There is still plenty of time to reorganize the pools so this could happen. Anyone else remember what a big deal it was when Grnadmaster Dean Pfiefer qualified in Mobile? They did a story on it at USDGC.
Simple fix for those wanting a chance to qualify for the USDGC spots. Play OPEN if your score qualifies you for a spot what difference does it make what division you play in.MEOW
It has always been that way.... every year a couple of our best players are in masters and g-masters.... the idea is to send the BEST players in the spots ... check the record .. and Mr RTG .... we are also decide championships for divisions at the event ... this is not a TD decision, but a BOD decision...... it is sad that the groups that are running SNs do not have guidelines which tell them past history... anyway, BOD make a ruling.
June 25, 2014 10:43AM
The year I qualified (2005) for the usdgc I qualified as a master player.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
just cause you play open doesn't mean that you have more of a right to qualify.... shooting the best scores does..... let your shooting do the talking... boom .....
Flyerbud....in playing devils advocate. If you truly think you are capable of taking one of those spots you should be playing open. its far more cash and far more prestigious. The bottom line is if you dont play the same amount of holes it doesnt matter. Typically the SNPC has been one pool where everyone plays the same courses on the same day. That will not be the case this year. We will have 300-400+ players in this tournament. It is just not possible to keep everyone on the same courses all weekend. We want to serve the greater good but in this case its not possible to make everyone happy.
I'm pumped for this tournament! I can't wait to see how Overton and Lakeside Orgill turn out. Orgill is already a nice course but adding that lake into the course will be awesome!

Mississippi State Disc Golf
There's no reason that all divisions have to play the same courses at the same time. They need to play the same layout from the same tees.

The BOD seems to be doing some good work and they need to step in and force the TD or the Group to play by the current rules/guidelines. If there's going to be a change that only Open players are going to get a USDGC spot then change that for the future.

Maybe the SNPC should move in the direction of the National Tour. One division, play it or don't. If it's a matter of show-casing the top players then leave out ALL protected divisions. Have a separate tournament for the protected divisions and use the money that they pay into the coffers throughout the year for them.

As far as more money, when I was lucky enough to get a spot (due to low turnout), I won the GM division and got $1100 +/-. Had I played open it would have been around $500.

On a different note, I think the BOD should take the time to address the conflict of interest.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013