Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf

Posted by 3puttking 
3putt.... there have been many different formats, many different tournament locations, many different tournament directors BUT it has always been top 5 non qualified players by score.. Adam told you how to do it... we are playing same tees so you use the scores at the start of the final nine holes... a cut off score ... it is done at EVERY tourney that qualifies for the USDGC, by your interpretation no one but the 4 players in the finals would be eligible to qualify. BOD where are you????? We have done it this way for 20 years, why break the chain????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 10:59AM by Flyerbud.
Here comes Casey.........

BMB
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
June 26, 2014 02:37PM
I still think it's the TD's decision to break the pools however they want. Once we get closer to the tournament, and Jonathan gets a better idea of how many participants will be in each division, I'm sure that he will re-evaluate the format. He stated in his post that this was a preliminary structure. Until then, I'm not terribly concerned with discussing it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
I'm sure the TD won't re-evaluate the format. He's already explained that you have to play Open to get a spot to Flyerbud and the money is better. So it's too early to discuss doing the right thing and before too long the answer will be "No need to discuss it now, it's too late". Do you speak for the entire BOD and have you set a specific date to tell us it's too late?

Cox3, without trying to be a politician, can you tell the protected divisions where you stand on the USDGC invite issue? Do you think they should have a shot or do you think they should move to Open for a chance?
Will there be an invitation list? Does it really matter since there will be 400 players. This used to be the SN Players Championship but I guess anyone with points will get to play period. Many reasons to avoid SN events except in the ones my friends are playing. SAD SAD SAD
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
June 26, 2014 09:19PM
pfeifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure the TD won't re-evaluate the format. He's
> already explained that you have to play Open to
> get a spot to Flyerbud and the money is better. So
> it's too early to discuss doing the right thing
> and before too long the answer will be "No need to
> discuss it now, it's too late". Do you speak for
> the entire BOD and have you set a specific date to
> tell us it's too late?
>
> Cox3, without trying to be a politician, can you
> tell the protected divisions where you stand on
> the USDGC invite issue? Do you think they should
> have a shot or do you think they should move to
> Open for a chance?

No, I do not speak for the entire board. We have not discussed the topic as a group. And no, I don't really care to give my personal opinion on the subject because my personal opinion is not relevant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

June 26, 2014 09:21PM
RTG Wrote:
> Will there be an invitation list? Does it really
> matter since there will be 400 players. This used
> to be the SN Players Championship but I guess
> anyone with points will get to play period. Many
> reasons to avoid SN events except in the ones my
> friends are playing. SAD SAD SAD

Yes, there will be an invitation list. It will be up within the next week. I am also confused by your statement. I don't think anyone with points has ever been denied access to an SN championship. I don't think one has ever filled. Certainly none have filled strictly from invited players. Nothing is different this year than any other. What do you think is different?

Casey Cox

How Many players are being invited to play this year? will it be a percentage per division like always? Will the field be capped by the percentage of players qualified, say 144 ????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 09:54PM by RTG.
RTG im not sure what tournament youre referring to but the SNDG Championships always ends up opening to any player with qualifying points. In fact the last three years there havent been more than 80 pro players total (all divisions included) in the championship. There was a period through 2006-2010 that the Pro field was between 104-160. The pro field is capped at 180 players this year. The am field is capped at 270. We probably will not fill every pool. That being said why would we exclude players who have supported this series from the championship? The players with the highest point totals get invited first and have a certain time period to accept their invitation. After that time period expires we have always opened registration to any player with enough points to qualify. If you, Dean or Bud would like to discuss things further i am happy to talk with you. My phone number and email address are in the thread. We are not trying to be different for the sake of being different. We have an agenda that serves the interest of disc golf and disc golf in Memphis. Contrary to what you are assuming we are not cutting divisions to a top 4. Each division will have a cut mark that includes a percentage of the field or a specific number of strokes from the leader. We want the finals to be competitive and therefore include the players that are within reach in a final 9 and final 18. As registration starts to fill we will have a better idea of where the pools will fall and that is why the schedule of courses is subject to change.
June 27, 2014 04:26AM
RTG Wrote:
> How Many players are being invited to play this
> year? will it be a percentage per division like
> always? Will the field be capped by the
> percentage of players qualified, say 144 ????

This is what the invitation list will look like:

Open - 90
Pro Master - 35
Pro Grandmaster/Sr. Grandmaster - 30
Pro Women - 15
Pro Master Women - 10

Advanced Am - 90
Intermediate Am - 90
Am Master - 60
Am Grandmaster - 5
Am Women - 15
Juniors - 10

Casey Cox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 04:29AM by cox3.
A phone call doesn't answer questions for everyone interested. That becomes "that isn't what was said".

Most of the feedback has been players saying that they think it's right to give everyone a chance at a USDGC spot.

So why not give an answer. Every player gets an opportunity or they don't.
Taking camping request now
Danny
no wonder this series is going down the tubes......... just sayin....
I hope to make this event. It will definitely be a good one.
Dean & Bud Jonathan gave you an invitation to discuss this or yall scared your thought will go down the tube, give Jonathan a chance to get this right. SR Grandmaster send your money in early so we can have our spots Grandmasters will fill up quickly.
The USDGC spots is not a Dean and Buddy issue. Other protected players should jump in and be heard if they take issue. Dan, it seems like you have an opinion on the matter if you think he can get it right. If there was an AM complaint the TD would jump to fix that because that's where he's going to make his money.

This is a situation that actually should be addressed by the BOD and there isn't any interest. Except for one guy who writes dissertations about his opinion and then states that his opinion is meaningless.

If there's only a handful of players that think this is an issue then it's like the TD said, You can't please everybody. I can accept that and move on. I have no real expectation of winning a spot but it's cool when it happens. I think that Doug W is playing some big golf and should be given the chance. You're gonna have to move up Doug.

This subject is not a surprise. Any TD worth his salt has thought this scenario thru hundreds of times by now and if he hasn't, this tournament is in trouble. The format is in writing and the majority are fine with it. I don't think the series is going down the tubes because of one TD that has his own ideas about how things should be run. I do think it's unfortunate when rules/traditions are overlooked.

As I mentioned; a private discussion between two people doesn't resolve the issue that affects an entire group.

This is my last input on the issue so I'm out. Heading north to play a tournament that has one division and I'm good with it.
Send me an email at gothrownow@yahoo.com. I would love to camp there during the SNAC.
June 29, 2014 02:15PM
I would like to see all Pro divisions have a chance to qualify for USDGC. I am only one voice on the BoD, at least until this year's championships are over. I have seen multiple people argue for the old dudes having a chance, but not very many arguing against that chance. The reason the "old guys/gals" don't play Open in the SNPC is because they've been putting money into their specific division all season long and want to play where they have the best opportunity to win the most money.

Make the "extra" holes for the Open players just that, extra. Scores for extra holes can still count for the Open championship, but cut off qualifying for USDGC after 4 rounds.

Like I said, simple fix if you want to give other Pro divisions the opportunity to qualify. Also, simple fix if you don't care to afford that chance. Make a statement that says only Open Pro can qualify for USDGC.

Adam Morrow
Adam that may be true that the "older guys/gals" want to play in the division in which they have paying their sanctioning fees to. In this case the two players who have accomplished the feat of qualifying for the USDGC outside of the Open division have played all three Pro divisions this year. Both Dean and Doug have played Pro Open, ProMasters and ProGrandmasters on several occasions. So it is not hard to assume that they either play for an easier payday when available or play where the money is when a GM or Masters division isnt available or is too small. This is no different. This year, besides a larger field and thus higher payout there is the added incentive of playing for a qualifying spot in the USDGC in the Open division.

I feel that if you want to win one of those spots you should have to play against the best competition. The Grandmasters field as a whole is not competitive with the Open division. I am not trying to insult Doug or Dean. They are both friends and incredible/capable golfers. Doug has won all but one SN event he has entered this year regardless of division. However, if either of them wants to earn that qualifying spot this year they are going to have to do it playing four full rounds, in the same pool and on the same card against some of the top players in the world. It is a competitive advantage to be able to dominate a grandmasters division with little pressure as opposed to having to shoot that same score when you have Will Schusterick, David Felberg and Matt Orum on your card coming down the stretch.

This decision was left up to me and i feel that this is the most competitive way to earn a qualifying spot. The USDGC is not an age, skill or gender protected event and is one division. So if you want to play in it you must play with the big boys to earn your spot. Again, i am sorry if this doesnt make players happy but we cant make everyone happy even though we are trying to do so. We have put an incredible amount of work into this event and its going to be an awesome experience. Look forward to seeing everyone soon.

JR
We should focus on the championship first and qualifier second. The championship seems to be set up nicely so we should stick with the format already drawn up. The qualifiers should go to the top open pros. If we are to grow this sport to a larger level, we need to encourage players to play in the open division and reward them for doing so.
one guy decides to rewrite history and break from how it has always been done...... one less reason to make the trip to Memphis.....
Will, Matt,Dave,Cam will be qualified well before SNs....all the touring pros will be. The spots from last year were Barry Schultz, Matt Dollar , Akeem Williams, Donald Elsworth(masters), Tim Kieth (g-masters) ........ all very worthy of the honor...
Both sides of the argument have been well stated, and I honestly see the logic behind each. If I had a dog in the hunt I may feel differently. The TD is aware of the complaint, so is the BOD. Let them work it out, and let's keep the tourney thread positive. I don't think anyone can deny that this could be a great SNC.
Here is a current list of sponsors for this years SNDG Championships
:
ATC Fitness
Grass Roots Disc Golf
Dynamic Discs
Latitude 64
Gateway Disc Sports
UB Disc Golf
Circle 3 Disc Golf
Chiwawa Mexican Restaurant
Prodigy Disc
Aldo's Pizza Pies

We have more sponsors coming in each day. If your business or club would like to be one of our premier sponsors for these championships we will be happy to send a sponsorship form detailing all available sponsorship opportunities.

We are also doing hole sponsorships for $100. You will receive a full color 18x24 sign with your logo and/or information on it as well as mention on the sponsors page in the players guide.

Thanks for all of the support thus far!

JR
June 30, 2014 01:05PM
JR or 3 puttking or whomever is in charge I think you are not understanding the issue here. In ALL SNPc's past all PRO divisions have had the OPPORTUNITY to qualify for the USDGC.
This year should be no different because of tourney location.

I play Open in some events because that is my ONLY choice no masters or GM available. I play in Masters sometimes because that where most of my really really good DG buddies are playing and I miss playing with them. I decided to play some GM events to meet new folks. I can not remember when if ever has my decision been based on who I was playing against or the amount on money involved ie your silly example of an easy payday.

I play the courses not the competitors...if I can beat the course I will beat the others as a by product.

It looks like this years edition of the SNPC will be epic.....however I am extremely disappointed at this decision of not allowing EVERY PRO the OPPORTUNITY and it will be major soul searching by me to attend or not attend. As this OPPORTUNITY is certainly the biggest perk of this event, IMO. with this decision to change the past editions and only allow OPEN players I am now hesitant to support it at all.

You are asking me to spend my time money and effort for the wknd without the opportunity of the biggest tourney perk by holding ME hostage to playing in YOUR designated division. It is YOUR event and you can run it anyway you want I suppose but I agree with Dean and BUD....give us alll the opportunity...in ANY PRO DIVISION....

JABBA
I can think of 5 masters very capable of winning a spot. Old guys rule!

BMB
I think everyone is just scared to come challenge some of the excellent Memphis area golfers DP
Dangling Participles Wrote:
> I think everyone is just scared to come challenge
> some of the excellent Memphis area golfers DP

you would think for your 1st post you could have done better but.........you might want to read what is being discussed and comprehend the words typed before chiming in on the topic at hand....Just so you will know, the discussion is about what has taken place ever since the SN has been awarded USDGC spots and how EVERY pro division had a chance to EARN a spot until this year.......Now I am sure you will have a witty post in reference to this one for your 2nd post.

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
June 30, 2014 07:01PM
Everyone concerned with the USDGC conversation.... The TD and the BOD are fully aware of the situation. There is really no need to discuss the matter farther on this thread. Please feel free to discuss it all You want in General Discussion or the Board Forum. The Board did discuss this some over the last couple of days, I have talked with Jonathan to get his side. After the Board finishes discussing I'm sure one of us will post what we decided.
I realize the scope of the situation. Just trying to bring some levity to the thread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013