Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf

Posted by 3puttking 
Since I'm not a pro, I look at it this way. As an intermediate player, if an event were a qualifier for a national amateur tournament, I wouldn't expect to have a chance at a spot because I'm not good enough to play in the top amateur division. I know it's been the tradition to offer the USDGC spots to all pro divisions, but it isn't hard to understand why the TD would make the decision to limit available spots to the Open division. It's completely within the rules and it makes sense.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
It's a waste of time to even try!

3puttking=Jonathan Ray, he is the TD some people were asking who is the TD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 08:17PM by Keith Bodin.
Who will be camping at Bud Hill? It's going to be hot and buggy. Let's get on a positive subject. This a SN Championship come defend your division title and stop worrying about the USDGC.

Danny
I've been wondering how many attempts Buddy, Dean, and Bernie have made this season to qualify for the USDGC and what division they played?

I will be sending my money on the first day that the registration opens to all players. Really looking forward to some fun and competitive SN Golf. Keep up the good work Jonathan.
I'm an open player and I'm a little confused why some are so upset that you must play OPEN for a chance at a USDGC spot. Playing in the Open Field, the only unprotected field, has the potential for more pressure situations than other divisions. To me it just makes sense to allow a USDGC spot for Open players because the USDGC is "One Division, One Champion"

Todd Bagwell
Tbags Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm an open player and I'm a little confused why
> some are so upset that you must play OPEN for a
> chance at a USDGC spot. Playing in the Open Field,
> the only unprotected field, has the potential for
> more pressure situations than other divisions. To
> me it just makes sense to allow a USDGC spot for
> Open players because the USDGC is "One Division,
> One Champion"
>
>
> Todd Bagwell

The reason "some are so upset" is that traditionally SNPC TD's have included all the pros that might play the best overall and there have been several non-open players that have won a spot fair and square according to USDGC rules. The format for this event was announced just a few weeks ago to alter tradition. It came as a surprise even though we have had this discussion many times before. All those other times the TD found a way to be more inclusive.

One reason it does not make sense to limit the spots to Open players is that the SNPC is first and foremost a divisional championship. The SN has protected divisions. If we played SNQ's by ratings it would be a reason to allow only one division for the spots, but that ain't what we, the SN, do. Winning the division is a fundamental aspect of the SN championship series. That priority should not be subjugated to the secondary but still very significant and national aspect of the SNPC, an additional chance to put our best on a national stage at the USDGC.

You see we, the SN, want our best there at the USDGC, no matter what division the best are playing in at the championship. We believe in the DG tournament concept enough to think the score really matters. Not only that, but the best score on the same layout on the same day is good enough to say who was best that day, no matter what the grouping is. That's the way it will be at the USDGC and the way it is at other large PDGA events. There are other tournaments in which even Open players are in more than one pool and we call that fair enough. Sometimes a B pool starter can be a top finisher, and the PDGA does not call that unfair either. The PDGA and the USDGC call that fair enough so we are rather full of ourselves to call it unfair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 09:26AM by hobbit489.
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
July 15, 2014 11:39AM
discjazz wrote:

One reason it does not make sense to limit the spots to Open players is that the SNPC is first and foremost a divisional championship. The SN has protected divisions. If we played SNQ's by ratings it would be a reason to allow only one division for the spots, but that ain't what we, the SN, do. Winning the division is a fundamental aspect of the SN championship series. That priority should not be subjugated to the secondary but still very significant and national aspect of the SNPC, an additional chance to put our best on a national stage at the USDGC.

You see we, the SN, want our best there at the USDGC, no matter what division the best are playing in at the championship. We believe in the DG tournament concept enough to think the score really matters. Not only that, but the best score on the same layout on the same day is good enough to say who was best that day, no matter what the grouping is.

best answer yet as how the players that have voiced up feel and funny that "All those other times the TD found a way to be more inclusive."
until now.....
how disappointing.
However on another note the FAMILY may be happy that for the first time in a decade it looks like my labor day weekend is now open for them.

it MUST be the plastic
I have a stinking feeling that because of this decision that the SN attendance along with the # of tournaments sanctioning with the SN will decline.Sorry to see this happening!
Is there a host hotel? Didn't see it on the first post.
^^^^The Peabody.

BMB
I hate to sound like a newb to the SNAC, even though I am, but what is a host hotel?
A hotel that The TD has struck a deal with so players can get rooms at a discounted price.
It's usually in close proximity to the courses.
Also, the players party and awards are done there.
Having the players party and awards there is sort of rare but it happens, usually at bigger tourneys.

* I dont know how or in what capacity the host hotel will be used for this SNPC *
BRIAN B Wrote:
> ^^^^The Peabody.

I like how they think they can charge $239 a night because they have @#$%& ducks in their lobby.

So, this thread works like this? You can only get an answer from someone in Memphis if you're old and crotchety and @#$%& about the USDGC spots I guess?
Re: 2014 SOUTHERN NATIONALS PRO AND AM CHAMPIONSHIPS-presented by Grass Roots Disc Golf
July 15, 2014 08:59PM
"We are scheduling for 5 pools right now. This is a temporary schedule and is will not be finalized until a week before the event.

Pool A- Pro Open
Pool B- Pro Women, Pro Masters, Pro Grandmasters/ Senior, Pro Master Women.
Pool C- Advanced Men
Pool D- Amateur Men
Pool E- Adv Women, Adv. Masters, Am Women, Adv. Grandmasters, Juniors"
- Grass Roots Disc Golf

This is on Grass Roots SNPC flyer on their first post.They are acting as if they didn't expect to have to make changes prior to the championships. Why not rethink this & make everyone happy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 08:59PM by BERNIE.
No this thread works like this; whine, moan, complain, cheap shot, TD response, repeat.
Hyatt Bud Hill open no ducks but mosquitoes , ticks , bugs no electricity but cheap
And more stars than any hotel around!
BERNIE Wrote:

> Why not rethink this & make everyone happy?

I don't quite get the attitude from Memphis either. "If you don't like it, stay home and @#$%& yourself" doesn't seem like y'all really want a big turnout.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I hope yall realize he is not going to answer any more questions on the matter....It is a waste if time and energy to keep beating this dead horse....

Is this the 1st year players are having to pay the extra 10.00 if they are not a current PDGA member? I seem to remember every other year innova covered that cost. Please let me know if I am mistaken....

I seem to remember a conversation with JimO several years ago where he said Howard (innova) said he wanted the SN Pro championships to have invites to the USDGA and the non player fee was going to be waved or taken care of by innova....Is that not the case anymore?

Just a question not trying to stir up crap!

July 18, 2014 02:49AM
Keith Bodin Wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong please!!!
>
> Is this the 1st year players are having to pay the
> extra 10.00 if they are not a current PDGA member?
> I seem to remember every other year innova
> covered that cost. Please let me know if I am
> mistaken....

I'm not actually sure who covered the cost but You are correct that in the past this fee was covered (for the SNPC). It was brought up in discussion by the Board, although we never held a vote the plan is to use the money left in the SN account to go to a new website. Maybe somebody who was on a former Board or a former SNPC TD could chime in and answer that question.
Keith Bodin Wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong please!!!
>
> Is this the 1st year players are having to pay the
> extra 10.00 if they are not a current PDGA member?
> I seem to remember every other year innova
> covered that cost. Please let me know if I am
> mistaken....

Keith, im not aware of any arrangement that SN had with Mr. Duvall. I did ask the BOD what to do about this and they said in the past they (SN) had covered the $10 fee but decided this year to have the players pay that so that the money in the SN account could go towards the new website. Perhaps the board can give more clarification on the topic. Thanks
This is a bigger issue than the age protect divisions not being able to play for the USDGC spots. SN was founded on the concept of NOT paying the 10.00 non member fee! This is a total slap in the face to the players! You should not have to pay 10.00 extra dollars to play in YOUR SNC when you have put in 2.00 for every event you play!

TOTAL HORSE SH....!!!!!!!!

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013