Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The 13th Annual Lafayette Late Summer Fest - Heymann Park - Sept. 6th, 2014

Posted by jacques 
The 13th Annual Lafayette Late Summer Fest - Heymann Park - Sept. 6th, 2014
July 30, 2014 11:03PM
Here's the flyer for the basic information...

More details tomorrow.
Re: The 13th Annual Lafayette Late Summer Fest - Heymann Park - Sept. 6th, 2014
July 31, 2014 09:01AM
I am making this tournament my official bachelor's party, as I am getting married in lafayette the very next day

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
July 31, 2014 10:25PM
The Acadiana Disc Golf Association and The Flight Club Disc Golf League proudly present the 13th Annual Lafayette Late Summer Fest

Where

Come join us at Heymann Park - the mostest funnest course in town.

There's just something about Heymann that makes it a whole lot of fun to play.

It could be the real south Louisiana cypress swamp on holes 2, 4 & 10 or the Vermilion River lining the fairway on hole 9. It could be the sounds of the live Cajun bands playing at Vermilionville that you can hear on hole 8's tee box or the centuries old Live Oaks draped in moss standing watch over the fairway on 15 & 16. In reality though, it is most likely the bar room located on hole 17's tee box.

Take the Highway 90 Exit (Exit 103) off I-10.
Go south Highway 90 (also called Evangeline Thruway) to the intersection of Surrey St.
Turn left on Surrey and travel past the Lafayette Airport.
Continue on Surrey across the small bridge over the Vermillion River.
Approximately one block past this bridge, turn left onto Chargois Springs Rd which is one of the two entrance roads to the Park.

Heyman Park's address is 1500 South Orange Street Lafayette, LA 70501

When

Saturday, September 6th, 2014.

Registration will open at 8:00 and the first round tees at 10:00.

Tee time for the second round will be announced and posted at lunch, once all of the first round score cards have been turned in.

An awards ceremony will follow the second round once the final scores have been tallied. All CTP prizes, awards, merchandise and cash won by players will be presented at the awards ceremony.

I will set it upon DGU as a convenience for players wishing to pre-register but walk ups will be 100% welcome on Saturday morning.

The field will NOT be capped and temporary holes will go out to prevent overcrowding the course if necessary.

Who

Pro Divisions

Pro Open - $40
Pro Women - $40
Pro Masters Men - $40
Pro Masters Women - $40
Pro Grandmasters - $40
Pro Sr. Grandmasters - $40

Am Divisions

Advanced - $30
Advanced Masters - $30
Am Men - $30
Am Women - $30

Rec Divisions

Novice - $20
Junior - $20

What

Two rounds of competitive Disc Golf.

Both recreational divisions will play a mixture of the normal tees and shorter ones on some of the less forgiving holes. Everybody else will play the established course. As mentioned above, if we get a really full house, temp holes are going out so be prepared for a minimum of 36 with potentially a few more.

Currently, Heymann is 100% natural tees.

We are striving to get nine boxes poured before the tournament. Look for a few strategically placed trees and bushes to be planted and at least one hole to be tweaked.

Lagniappe

Ace Pots

$1-5, Vegas style. CTP throw off after the second round if necessary.

CTPs

Lafayette LOVES CTPs and rest assured there will be plenty out there - cash and merchandise.

Groceries

As usual, FREE Lunch!

There's only two words a real coona$$ wants to hear when he is hungry.

One of them is rice and the other is gravy.

Plate that up with some corn maque choux and some bread from Langlinais and you've got a good Cajun meal.

Player's Party

I like traditions and the Late Summer Fest player's party is becoming one of my favorite new traditions in Lafayette Disc Golf.

Remember that bar on hole 17's tee box that I was talking about earlier?

Slide on over with us to Somewhere's Else after the second round, kick back, relax and enjoy a few libations. The owner, Mr. Carol, will run drink specials and he usually buys a round or two once he is sufficiently lubricated.

I will see if he wants to cook something again this year so you may wind up being able to cash in on a free lunch AND dinner.

Sights to behold at the player's party in recent years have included David "Minnesota Fats" Robichaux giving everyone pool lessons, John "Big Money" Bowden cleaning house at bourre' and other folks doing other things that probably are better left unsaid.

AND apparently we have a bachelor party to celebrate. I will see what we can do as far as lining up some "entertainment" but in all likelihood, somebody from Flight Club is gonna have to give Ryan a lap dance.

Fundraising

Lafayette will be hosting the 2015 SNAC and I promised to make this tournament and the upcoming Mid-Winter Open fundraiser events.

We will be holding a 50/25/25 cash raffle - $2/ticket or 3 for $5. The winning ticket gets half the money, 25% will go to the 2015 SNAC and 25% will go to the 2015 SNDC being hosted by our neighbors in Baton Rouge. I will try to round up some merchandise to add to the pot as well.

Because we are trying to raise money for next year's Am Championship, the pro purse will not be affected at all.

The Am payout will be a straight 100% (we usually go way, way, way over this) and the funds will be raised by the difference in wholesale to retail. Our goal is to raise enough to pay for one of the meals we will be serving at next year's SNAC.

Sponsorship

We would be grateful to receive small cash and merchandise sponsorships for this tournament.

Cash may be added to payout or go out on the course as CTPs.

Items suitable for CTP or ring-of-fire prizes are preferred.

Our "big money, big prize" event - The Spring Fling - was held earlier this year and I will be asking our repeat local sponsors to reserve their support until next year when we will surely be calling on them for the SNAC.

Contact

Send an email to the club's account - acadianadiscgolfassociation [at] gmail.com with any questions, concerns, complaints or advice regarding this event.

The TD is me.
August 04, 2014 10:40AM
I'm going to have to take off for this one!
August 05, 2014 07:39AM
$25 False River Fencing.
August 05, 2014 08:10AM
Is Jacques the TD?

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
August 05, 2014 12:11PM
@comeaux - You better get off, you're cooking the rice & gravy. Lou Roger is coming to help cook too, we need to stock up on Miller Lite.

@hurricane - Thanks again for another fine sponsorship!

@sunshine - Yes he is. I heard he's a real butthole though. HAHA
August 05, 2014 08:08PM
For the record!

Comeaux's gravy = delightfully tastefull beverage

Lou is my personalized food prep magician. Looks like I will not play well this tournament with the amount of liquids it requires for Lou and myself to stay hydrated. God Bless America and the Cow we will sacrifice on this glorious occasion.
August 05, 2014 09:34PM
^^^^^AMEN!

[www.facebook.com]
August 06, 2014 09:49PM
Tournament update brought to you by False River Fencing

False River Fencing delivers a quality product to meet you residential, commercial and industrial fencing needs all throughout south Louisiana.

If your neighbors are as ugly as mine, you need to give Dane a call and get a fence put up ASAP.

Registration

Online registration through Disc Golf United is up and running if you wish to pre-register and pay for this tournament.

Birdie Bounty

Also known as "Why should Aces have all the fun?"

There will be a $50 per hole bounty for birdies (carding a 2, one drive, one putt) on holes 9, 16, 17 & 18.

It is $50 per hole for the entire tournament so if two people birdie, each gets $25 - if three people birdie, each gets $17 - and so on. Each hole has a $50 bounty on it so if you birdie all four, (you ain't) you could win $200.

A deuce on any of these four holes requires a very well executed crush of a drive and a very long putt (skill plus luck), way more impressive to me than a hole-in-one on a short hole (mostly luck).

If nobody birdies, the bounty goes unclaimed and the birdie lives to fly another day.
August 07, 2014 11:38AM
Going to try and make this one Jacques. Lafayette has always been a blast for me.

You ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?
I'm sorry, I don't listen to rap music.
August 07, 2014 07:54PM
awww man will they have "blue" tees for 9,16,17 &18? only chance I have to win $50 on those holes
August 07, 2014 08:49PM
^^^^he is just hungry! Please ignore the hunger pains.....

[www.facebook.com]
August 07, 2014 08:52PM
No can do Kenny Boo. You're gonna have to hunt those birdies with that big cat Leopard you got in your bag.

Just lay down an Ace on 10 and cash in on the big prize. Step up to the box and tell yourself "there is no swamp, only basket."
August 08, 2014 10:03AM
Can someone post a course map? DGCR is showing no media files.

August 08, 2014 12:33PM
Course map

Distances

1 - 352
2 - 214
3 - 313
4 - 264
5 - 362
6 - 298
7 - 541
8 - 275
9 - 517
10 - 199
11 - 287
12 - 306
13 - 275
14 - 302
15 - 449
16 - 575
17 - 469
18 - 458

ground level hole 9 looking towards the tee from behind the basket

ground level hole 15 looking towards the tee from behind the basket

ground level hole 16 looking towards the basket from near the tee box

hole 10's "safe" fairway before the baskets were installed

ground level hole 3 looking towards the tee from behind the basket, hole 2's basket is visible in the background fog

Thanks to Scott Comeaux for most of those pictures.

As I said earlier, expect some temp holes too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2014 12:37PM by jacques.
August 08, 2014 02:21PM
wow,..that last pic belongs on a calendar / .
Put Ramada down for a free nights stay
August 09, 2014 07:01AM
Yes last pic is amazing!! I wish Staybridge would donate a free night.
August 09, 2014 11:51AM
Thanks for the map! Looks like we play in a topographical coffin....the voodoo is abound.

August 12, 2014 08:43AM
I like pig feet.

Especially the toes!
Dex
August 12, 2014 03:02PM
Looking forward to this one

Dex
August 14, 2014 10:31PM
Tournament Update brought to you by the Ramada Lafayette Conference Center

The Ramada Lafayette conference center is conveniently located 5 minutes from every 18 hole course in Lafayette. They have also generously provided us with a free night's stay at the hotel to give away as a CTP at the Late Summer Fest.

They will once again serve as the official host hotel, tournament central & site of the players party at YOUR 2015 SNAC. If you are staying overnight in Lafayette for this event, please favor them with your business.

Give fellow Disc Golfer Shawn Johnson and the fine folks at the Ramada a call.

Temp Holes

Thanks to Scott, Shawn and Johnathan for their help picking out some temp holes for this tournament. We've got five laid out and could possibly squeeze in some more to fit everybody.

With open registration on Saturday morning, it will be decided how many and which ones will be played based on attendance.

Thanks to Google Earth, Photoshop and a few players who were making goofy faces in some Joe Todd pictures for providing the material necessary to give a preview of the temp holes...

Hole A

At a mere 168 feet, this is as close to a "gimme" birdie as you will get at Heymann - unless you go OB. Hole A would play after hole 3, teeing off adjacent to the first base dugout and playing between the fence and the road.

Hole B

A little longer, hole B stretches it out to 237 feet - still short by Heymann Park standards. Hole B follows hole A and tees off in right field. The basket will be either on the pitcher's mound or home plate. Both give you plenty of opportunities to make crappy baseball jokes.

Hole C

The dreaded island hole (you have Shawn to thank for that BTW) would play after hole 10. Only 145 feet separate the tee and the basket on this one but as you know its all about placement. We rarely do island holes in Lafayette but this one really presented itself as a good shot. There will be a drop zone so fair that you can miss the island and still have a legitimate shot at carding a three.

Hole D

Hole D would follow hole C and showcases an outstanding piece of the park looking out over the Vermilion River. An uneasy 173 footer, it is one of those holes that could be a deuce or a five depending on how well you execute your drive. There is a tight straight line to the basket as well as a lefty and righty option around some trees and bushes. The lefty shot has to hang out over the road to work and the righty shot has to hang out over the river, both dangerous propositions on a windy day.

Hole E

Hole E would follow hole 18 and many folks will remember it as hole 1 of the original Heymann layout. It is 224 feet long and will feature another rarity at a Lafayette tournament - a stinkin mando. You will be required to go left of one of the pine trees (TBD which one) with your drive to keep discs off the basketball court. There will be a drop zone on this one too with the potential for a long putt and a salvation three.

I asked Les Miles what he thought about the temp holes and he said, "I would enjoy the opportunity to prepare to play these holes in a quality fashion to which we are accustomed."
August 14, 2014 10:50PM
This is way to complicated! How bout just some boudin and hoghead cheese for breakfast from Best-stop?

[www.facebook.com]
August 15, 2014 07:34AM
Sounds good. All you need to do is go by Best Stop, pick up some boudin & hoghead cheese and we'll help you eat it. No problem there.
August 18, 2014 06:03PM
I talked to Marvin today and his arthritis is really getting bad so he doesn't plan to make this one. I don't plan to be there either so you old farts will have to dig up (maybe literally) a third player.
August 18, 2014 10:19PM
Tournament Update brought to you by PW&L Services, Inc.

David Domengeaux started playing Disc Golf a few months ago and joined us for doubles this past Sunday for the first time. We spoke for a little while and he explained that he owns his own outdoor maintenance company, specializing in pressure washing and lawn care, PW&L Services, Inc.

He expressed interest in sponsoring the Late Summer Fest this year and decided to do two $25 hole sponsorships which I thought was mighty generous for a first time sponsor and new player.

Please give David a call at (337) 296-9824 and give him a shot at your business or you can check out his website, www.pwlservicesinc.us where you can find some pretty impressive before-and-after photos of his handiwork.

Doing Work

TEE BOXES

It is about frickin' time is all I can say.

Join us at Heymann Park for the Late Summer Fest and help us christen nine brand spanking new tee boxes, freshly poured for your teeing pleasure.

BENCHES

Hand crafted from the finest scrap metal in all of Iberia Parish by yours truly, eleven brand new benches will be installed for this wonderful event.

This means that you and your posterior can rejoice knowing that there will be a nice bench at every hole on the course, expertly fastened for your rear end.

Registration

Did I mention that online registration is available through DGU for players that want to skip the line on Saturday morning. Go to Disc Golf United and get yourself signed up.

Work Days

Them holes ain't gonna dig themselves so...

Friendly reminders to all Lafayette players will be going out this week concerning the two upcoming work days to get all of this done. We're doing the groundwork and setting forms this Saturday, August 23rd and we're pouring concrete the following Saturday, August 30th. Be there or be square.

@misterbogey - we're gonna have to start docking your pay. HAHAHA.
August 18, 2014 10:29PM
I want to respond on this thread, but i am scared that I might be ban for doing something wrong.....so no jokes and hopefully saying good job won't get me ban!

[www.facebook.com]
August 19, 2014 03:50PM
Awesome job on the concrete pads and benches y'all.
August 20, 2014 08:16AM
Roger Williamson from Central Texas is coming. Maybe Larry Martin from Orange also. David Vance usually goes to Lafayette tourneys. Whatever.
Dex
August 21, 2014 03:11PM
Seems to be some very busy bee's over dare in Cajun Country

Dex
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013