Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The 13th Annual Lafayette Late Summer Fest - Heymann Park - Sept. 6th, 2014

Posted by jacques 
Re: The 13th Annual Lafayette Late Summer Fest - Heymann Park - Sept. 6th, 2014
August 29, 2014 08:04PM
Tournament Update brought to you be Thibodeaux & Son Scrapyard

Purveyors of only the finest scrap metal, Thibodeaux & Sons has been slinging iron around the Port of Iberia for over 30 years.

They offer top dollar for ferrous & non-ferrous metals, exotics, batteries & castings.

They also sell to the public and Tim & Wayne hooked us up with a good deal on some nice hot dipped galvanized pipe and channel to build our benches from.

The Course

Hot on iron,
Hot on steel,
The hotter it gets,
The better we feel.

After three long hot days of work, nine cement boxes and eleven benches have been installed at Heymann Park. I really want to thank everybody who helped get it done. It was a labor of love, but it was still labor.

The fruit of this labor is that the folks who choose to join us on the 6th will have a place to sit on each and every hole and the nine potentially muddiest tee boxes are now worry free.

For those familiar with the course, we set boxes on holes 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 11, 15, 17, & 18.

Speaking of the course...

Hole 18's box was poured to the left and slightly forward of the previous location to get it out of the low spot that it was in. Doing so also removed the temptation folks had to throw over & through the parking area. This change has been very well received and we hope you will like it too.

Hole 14's box is now tucked in a cove closer to the wooded fence line on the east side of the park. It offers a similar shot to before but with the advantage of being less of a visual distraction to players on hole 13 and best of all, it offers a bit of shade on an otherwise sunny part of the course. We toyed with a different basket placement too along that same wood line a few Sundays ago, but the result was mostly just a bunch of time wasted looking for discs so the basket will stay where it is for now.

Hole 12's box (for this tournament) will move approximately five feet to the left and closer to the sidewalk. This puts the line of crepe myrtles squarely into play and makes for a better looking and slightly more challenging hole. The caveat to this will be making sure players yield to pedestrians on the sidewalk during the tournament.

Registration

Just a reminder that online registration will be open until next Friday for your convenience, on DGU - the official registration service provider for the SN.

Groceries

Comeaux and I were talking today about which parts of the cow were going in the pot.

We're planning to feed 120 normal human beings which means we should have enough for 90-100 disc golfers. The good thing about rice and gravy is it stretches so I'm sure everyone will be able to eat their fill.

Player's Party

We found ourselves absolutely parched after one of those long hot days of digging holes and we found air conditioned refreshment at Somewhere's Else (it is REALLY nice having a bar right next to the course) and I reminded Carol about the tournament. He is definitely going to have food there after the tournament and he is going to stock up an ice chest with water on 17's tee box.

Getting close, folks. Start making your plans to head over to Lafayette next weekend. I know I'm looking forward to it.
August 31, 2014 08:39PM
So it occurs to us that more than a few of you want to have some sort of a warm-up round, to see the course and get some practice in before the tournament. Therefore we shall be running a day before warm-up bring your own partners doubles round on Friday. The cost will be $20 per team, first teams starting at 3pm and the last teams out to play will be 6pm. 100% payout to the top third as always.
September 02, 2014 08:13AM
News Flash! Hurricane warning with expected landfall Saturday in Lafayette. Likely to poof out by mid- morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 08:15AM by dcclayton.
September 02, 2014 11:39AM
AHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

September 02, 2014 12:35PM
Tournament Update brought to you by

Innova Discs are the Choice of Champions and Innova is always first to the table to support Disc Golf tournaments and grow the sport that we all love.

When I emailed the disc order for this tournament, Ryan replied "Thanks for the order, by the way I see we aren't we sponsoring this event yet, I'll send you something."

That's what I call ready, willing and able to help out and I sincerely appreciate all the outstanding things that they do for Disc Golf.

Hardware

Thought we forgot the trophies?

We didn't forget the trophies.

First place in all divisions takes one home as well as second & third in amateur divisons & juniors.

And yes, that is my fat thumb in the picture, the camera adds a few pounds. HAHAHA
September 03, 2014 07:56AM
Thought all divisions got a trophy, but the Seniors got the "Thumb". JK. Jacques always goes the extra mile for Seniors. Treats us special because he has respect for the legacy of disc golf. Has to be bad circumstances for me to miss a Hub City tournament.
September 04, 2014 10:05AM
Jacques. You need a manicure. Is that dirty butt under your thumb nail?

BMB
September 04, 2014 10:56AM
Yes. The real question is "Whose dirty butt is it?" HAHAHA
Dex
September 04, 2014 11:13AM
On the bright side, that will keep you from biting your finger nails

Dex
September 04, 2014 02:36PM
There will be an informal memorial party for Spider Guidry at the Blue Moon Saloon from 5-8 Saturday night, per his brothers. Just FYI, for those who knew him.
September 05, 2014 01:35PM
Less than 24 hours to go until it's fun time!
September 05, 2014 02:28PM
I'm glad we put in the concrete tees.
September 07, 2014 03:59PM
Can I have 34 Mulligans?
September 07, 2014 07:44PM
Another one in the books, 98 players was the final number..

Thanks to everyone who helped register players, set up and take down the course, haul water & ctps, check cards and post scores. It is a team effort and I think it really shows how well everyone works together.

Special thanks to Scott, Mike, Lou & Tyson for handling the lunch which I thought was very, very good. Everyone ate their fill between rounds and came back for seconds and there wasn't a scrap of food left or a drink left in the cooler.

Thanks again to our sponsors

Innova
False River Fencing - Hurricane Clayton
PW&L Services - David Domangeaux
Aboriginal Discs - Joe & Nancy
Ramada Lafayette - Shawn (PRO) Johnson
Compuworks - Tyson Richard
204 La States - West Monroe
Jim Blansett
Jacques & Katherine

The results, please check them for misspelling & accuracy before I submit them for posting..

As I stated early on, there was a fundraising component to this tournament and $251.36 was raised for YOUR 2015 SNAC which should cover the cost of one of the meals. Mission accomplished as far as that was concerned.

Trophies were valued at $10/ea which I think is fair.

Lunch was served free of charge to everybody and no credit was taken for the food or drinks.

Matt Shumaker and Brodie Lejeune split the ace pot.

Josh Patin & Matt Orum each collected a $50 birdie bounty - Patin on 17 & Matt on 18.

CTPs were either cash or merchandise. Of course cash was face value, I called the Ramada stay $50 and the other stuff was all combinations of discs plus either caps, shirts or gift cards which I valued at $20 per combo.

Comeaux continues his reign as the ring-of-fire king. 20 discs, two shirts, two caps and $20 cash was given away in the ROF but the winners weren't recorded so no credit was taken for this. I figured there was at least $500 worth of stuff won.

Thanks to Mr Jim Blansett who dropped off some discs which went in the ring-of-fire and thanks to Cary Melton & Meche's for the three dozen delicious donuts - both unexpected and really nice additions to the tournament.

Lessons learned by me, the TD..

Lafayette is outgrowing single course tournaments unless we start capping the field. As an open club who receives tremendous support from the community and the city, I dislike the idea of turning players away who want to play our events. Look for changes in future.

Ten players did not come back for the second round and only two of them let somebody know they were withdrawing. Their absence wasn't know by me until cards were turned in after the second round and players were missing on them. Had I known, the board would have been set differently the second round to make for a little more breathing room. I wouldn't count this as a mistake just a need to include this as part of my usual speech at the players meeting.

I know the nine tee boxes helped in the rainy conditions during the first round. Nine more boxes will be installed before the SNAC.

Thanks to everyone who chose to join us for the 2014 Late Summer Fest and I hope to see y'all back in town in January for the Mid Winter Open!
September 07, 2014 09:05PM
Please correct the spelling on my last name.
Bourque not borque. Thanks! Great job by the way. The tournament, CTP's, food, temp holes.....everything was great as always lafayette.
September 08, 2014 06:38AM
I am glad to see Shawn Johnson playing PRO! Good job Shawn!
September 08, 2014 07:47AM
I don't know if this is important, but my last name is White (Tyler White). The tournament was great and the food was great.
September 08, 2014 08:48AM
Another great tournament Lafayette! Best kept secret in the SN.
Dex
September 08, 2014 12:28PM
Way to go Jacques and Lafayette

Great Tourney as usual, really like the overcast during the second round, way to dial that up

Thanks
Dex
September 08, 2014 01:41PM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another great tournament Lafayette! Best kept
> secret in the SN.

Tru Dat!!
September 08, 2014 07:56PM
I am so glad Jacques called Gardner and got lessons on how to run a tournament from the only great TD left in SN!!! Well done Jacques!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
September 09, 2014 05:34AM
Tyler & Brandon - corrections will be made.

Thanks for the kind words everybody, glad y'all had fun.

We missed it by one weekend. This coming Saturday's forecast : 0% rain, highs in the mid 80's & low humidity. Oh well.
September 09, 2014 12:58PM
Well Crap....Still had a great time.Let just say that it made it more interesting....
September 23, 2014 09:10AM
Results have been posted to the site. If any corrections need to be made, please let me know. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013