Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2014 Pot of Gold, Louisiana's largest tournament! Saturday March 15: a PDGA C-tier and Vibram Maple Hill Open Qualifier in Metairie LA

Posted by Bluff Magee 
New Orleans Disc Golf Club (NO Team) invites all disc golfers and spectators to the 2014 Pot Of Gold!

NOTE: There will be no day-of registration this year. You must pre-register to play in the 2014 Pot of Gold.

Holding the record for the largest disc golf tournament in the state of Louisiana, the Pot of Gold is a major regional disc golf event showcasing the best that New Orleans disc golf has to offer. Live bands, a huge catered lunch, added cash and baskets to the winners of the bigger amateur divisions are just the beginning of the attractions of the Pot of Gold.

New this year
Awesome! Is this SN sanctioned as well, Mike?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
Well, seems that the SN is its infinite wisdom has not given me back the ability to edit my posts, and this website is so outdated that it's difficult to cut and paste from other places, so it looks like I won't be able to post a nice post here with details about Louisiana's largest disc golf tournament!

Instead, here's a link to New Orleans Disc Golf Club's quality website with all the details of the 2014 Pot of Gold:

[noteamdiscgolf.com]

Looking forward to seeing everyone there this year. Also check out the event page on Facebook for updates between now and March 15:

[www.facebook.com]

Also at Facebook we've been posting some historical facts about this great event, so if you're a disc golf history buff give it a look.

You must pre-register by Friday March 14, there are no morning-of signups. See you there!

cox3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome! Is this SN sanctioned as well, Mike?

Gonna have to plead the 5th on that one Casey. Since the SN has a different set of rules for me, I do not know how to answer that question without being unfairly banned from this forum again without an an explanation or warning. Although other TDs of non-sanctioned SN events are allowed to post here, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is deleted since it may be against the secret only-Bluff rules for me to start a thread here.
Sorry, Mike. That was my mistake. I forgot to check a box to allow you to edit your posts.
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> cox3 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Awesome! Is this SN sanctioned as well, Mike?
>
>
> Gonna have to plead the 5th on that one Casey.
> Since the SN has a different set of rules for me,
> I do not know how to answer that question without
> being unfairly banned from this forum again
> without an an explanation or warning. Although
> other TDs of non-sanctioned SN events are allowed
> to post here, I wouldn't be surprised if this
> thread is deleted since it may be against the
> secret only-Bluff rules for me to start a thread
> here.

I can't speak for any decisions that have been made by the BOD in the past. I would be very happy to see the Pot of Gold be SN sanctioned. It is disappointing to me to see some of the core SN tournaments/locations begin to choose to not sanction. I think we can all work together to get the Southern Nationals back to where it was in the past while also improving some of the problems that we have had in the past as well.

Personally, I have never been a fan of non-SN tournaments advertising on the SN site. In my opinion, that is one of the major benefits of SN sanctioning. If the SN allows free advertising for any tournament which chooses, regardless of its sanctioning, then the SN loses one of its key offerings to tournaments in our region. This comment is not made specifically regarding this thread and I am not suggesting that it should be removed. It is just an observation about something that should be addressed in the future.

Good luck with the tournament! I'm sure it will be top notch as always.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 01:55AM by cox3.
It is unfortunate that our club had no choice but to take this route since the SN is not living up to its end of the bargain.

NO Team believes that SN accounting has become suspect since the departure of Kittrell. No one has any idea if tournaments are paying their SN fees on time. One notoriously delinquent TD cried about how I was hijacking his thread and I got banned. Doesn't make sense to keep allowing TDs to not pay.

The PDGA allows tournaments that can post results quickly to have them posted on the PDGA website immediately, with ratings. But here on the SN we sent our results from our last tournament to the email listed on this site as the place to get them posted and it took an entire week for the results to get posted. Is that good service?

I won't even bother to compare the websites.
Casey
Personally, I have never been a fan of non-SN tournaments advertising on the SN site. In my opinion, that is one of the major benefits of SN sanctioning. If the SN allows free advertising for any tournament which chooses, regardless of its sanctioning, then the SN loses one of its key offerings to tournaments in our region.

I agree Casey....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 09:07AM by Keith Bodin.
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> It is unfortunate that our club had no choice but
> to take this route since the SN is not living up
> to its end of the bargain.
>
> NO Team believes that SN accounting has become
> suspect since the departure of Kittrell. No one
> has any idea if tournaments are paying their SN
> fees on time. One notoriously delinquent TD cried
> about how I was hijacking his thread and I got
> banned. Doesn't make sense to keep allowing TDs to
> not pay.
>
> The PDGA allows tournaments that can post results
> quickly to have them posted on the PDGA website
> immediately, with ratings. But here on the SN we
> sent our results from our last tournament to the
> email listed on this site as the place to get them
> posted and it took an entire week for the results
> to get posted. Is that good service?
>
> I won't even bother to compare the websites.

I understand your position entirely. Like I said, hopefully we can all work together to resolve these issues. There have definitely been problems with the SN over the years. Everyone is to blame, either actively or passively. I have been guilty myself because I sat back and let things happen without doing anything about it. This is a volunteer organization. No one has the right to complain about the job that a volunteer is doing, in my opinion, unless they are doing something corrupt to benefit themselves. If someone does not like the way something is being done and they care enough to complain then they should instead use that effort to volunteer to fix the problem.

I have much respect for all that you have done for disc golf in the New Orleans area, Mike. I appreciate the fact that you are a very organized person and expect that things should always be done exactly as they should. There is nothing wrong with having that expectation. That attention to detail is why your tournaments are held in such high regard. I also believe that there are more appropriate ways to address issues than the way many have decided to address issues on this forum in the past (private messages, in-person discussions, etc.). I have no idea if you exhausted those avenues and felt that you had no choice but to resort to public confrontation. Regardless, that is in the past. I don't believe that dwelling on the past will help us fix the future.

To address your specific concerns, I agree with you that the SN financial report should be 100% transparent, updated, and available to view at all times. I agree with you that those who cheat the system should be held accountable for their actions. I agree with you that results should be posted to the website in a timely manner. I do not like comparing the SN to the PDGA, however. They are not competitors. The PDGA is an international organization. The SN covers a few states. The point of the SN is simply to bring disc golfers from our region together by having a means of communication between cities and a very simple set of rules in which to follow. The PDGA has a much higher mission than that. I have never been anti-PDGA. I fully support tournaments in traditionally SN areas sanctioning with the PDGA along with the SN. This website will never be as grand as the PDGA's. They charge more money per player per tournament than the SN does and they sanction a far greater number of tournaments than the SN does. Obviously, the SN is never going to match the PDGA financially. I believe that this website has been very effective for the most part, though. There are definitely some things that need to be addressed and the BOD is currently in the process of addressing those items.

Casey Cox

Casey I believe when you are talking about public confrontation, you have me confused with the SN Board member who recently resigned after threatening bodily harm to several people whose opinions he did not share.

And I, as someone who was helping post SN tournament results and update the schedule and police the forum, I am sure you recognize that I'm not speaking as someone who is all about criticizing the SN without helping.

You might not see the SN being in competition with the PDGA but if you ask all the members of NO Team that voted to drop SN sanctioning for the 2014 Pot of Gold, you might discover that they feel differently. "What do we get for sanctioning with the SN?" was the big question the morning of the vote. Whatever the reason, the members felt that the PDGA offers more value. Perhaps you believe that SN was dropped out of spite, but I assure you it was the value. Ask around if you don't believe me.

Maybe if the SN deletes this thread, and the Pot of Gold still draws as many players as the last three years (an average of 187), it will help prove that SN publicity isn't as valuable as you think. I'm not worried in the least about the attendence. But if you Casey are serious about addressing the reasons why several SN events have left, you might want to keep this thread as an olive branch to one very big supporter of the SN which is NO Team. You might not be aware that NO Team's Board of Directors has put the SN on notice that if our concerns are not addressed that more NO events will be dropped. Ask your fellow SN board members for a copy of our message. The response we got so far from the SN was not satisfactory but we will give you and Josh a chance to address our concerns before we vote on dropping more SN events. Now maybe that's what you call confrontational, but I call it holding the SN accountable for the fees it charges us. If the SN continues to provide poor service that doesn't equal the price we pay, can you blame us for seeking alternatives?
I know this is thread drift. And I pologize Bluff. But there are several towns/cities with several concerns about the direction OF the SN. Tupelo is one. This calendar year we are doing events unsanctioned,PDGA sanctioned and SN sanctioned. At the end of the year we are going to evaluate each event and decide a direction to go.
Bluff, hope you have a record attendance for the POG this year man. Wish I could be there but unfortunatly I am hosting an event that day myself.
Watch out hudd I got banned for 2 years for thread drift! Me, I don't mind thread drift at all, this thread has more posts already than the entire SN forum got in a week while I was gone, and people will look at the topics in this section and say, wow, 14 posts on the PoG already? That must be a popular tournament. Say what ya will about my methods, I think "any publicity is good publicity" and I don't mind thread drift or criticism. In fact part of my style as a TD is to attempt to weed out really dumb disc golfers from my events so that they won't screw up the tournament. That's part of the reason the Pot of Gold gets better every year. Players with unrealistic expectations who dare to complain are given a big huge dose of their own medicine from Bluff Magee and they usually don't return to whine and bother the folks who appreciate all the fun and intense competition at our events. Over the years, the quality of the players at our events has continually improved, and that makes a more enjoyable experience for all.

It's a myth that a TD who doesn't desperately cater to idiots can't have a hugely popular tournament. If my antics were so horrendous as some of these SN board members would have you believe, then why do players keep showing up? And why is it that those who hate me the most draw fewer players to their events?
Mike, NO Team has the biggest tournaments because yall have the best lunch!! Everybody knows that!!! :-P

I look forward to addressing NO Team's concerns regarding the SN, which I'm sure are similar to the concerns of the other areas which have left or have begun to leave the SN over the years (Huntsville, Birmingham, Shreveport, North Mississippi, Jackson...). My main goal as a member of the board is to bring the entire, original SN region back together as one community again rather than having many smaller communities begin to go their own way. I plan on creating a direct, open line of communication with influential people such as yourself from every area of the SN in order to accomplish this.

Casey Cox

"It's a myth that a TD who doesn't desperately cater to idiots can't have a hugely popular tournament. If my antics were so horrendous as some of these SN board members would have you believe, then why do players keep showing up? And why is it that those who hate me the most draw fewer players to their events?" - BLUFFY

HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH. I AM ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE WHO NO LONGER SEES THE VALUE & DOES NOT APPRECIATE THE LACK ACCOUNTABILITY BY THE SN. WHO IS NOT LIKED BY ALL, BUT CONTINUES TO HAVE LARGE SUCCESSFUL TOURNEYS THAT PAY WELL.

BTW CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC DISC GOLF TOURNAMENT SERIES IS BACK & WE WOULD LOVE TO SANCTION THE POT OF GOLD!!!
Two great TDs like em or not(which I do) not sanctioning their events anymore. Casey your good guy and I wish u all the best working with DG clubs leaving SN. POG @#$%& good tournament!!!!
Just finished reading this thread. Good/Great points are made on both ends from Cox and Mike. I just wanted to say that Little Rock is a mixed bag. I personally quit running as many SN events as before too, but we do have some extremely loyal SN players from back in the day that really dislike me for not hosting SN events. I have made our Arkansas State Championships PDGA only the past two years which has caused a few issues.
Casey, you want people to bring back SN events to their roots, well the players want integrity brought back to this series. After this year I will not care if I ever play another SN event again.

How long do you think we should wait for a financial report ? Results to be posted/corrected ? We are tired of being downright lied to and deceived.

Please god don't ban me WITHOUT a warning for posting my thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 07:00AM by cox3.
We will cap the field this year at 180 players. You can follow the registrations as they come in this year at the PDGA's website:

[www.pdga.com]

Also want to thank all of our T-shirt level sponsors for 2014!

Innova Champion Discs
Hooters
Sulzer and Williams LLC
Walker's BBQ
Aboriginal Discs
Sky South
Dynamic Discs
Legacy Discs
UB Disc Golf
Brad Wells
Dangerous Don Perkins
Mike Kernan
Ben Fox
Gateway Discs
Live and Let Fly
Jeff St. Romain/PencilArt504.com

A bitter old codger was posting in another thread (quite incorrectly and in his usual petty and jealous way) that we were losing sponsors... In fact it looks like our sponsorship for the Pot of Gold is stronger than ever!

Thanks to all our sponsors for recognizing the value in supporting the 2014 Pot of Gold!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 08:37PM by Bluff Magee.
well you rubbed their faces in it enough to get a reaction from them, Kernman.... looking forward to this year's POG!!!!!

Welcome everyone to our new home in the SN Forum Dungeon...or Non-SN events as it is otherwise known.

Don't be scared...legends say there is a pot of gold buried down here somewhere.
pretty nice dungeon .... did you decorate it yourself????? lol
Actually this dungeon, according to the history books, was built and decorated by prisoners of the forced labor camps of the Stalinist Nationals circa 2013.

At least you can post on yours. They waited until my event happened and the opened this to where it can be posted on.

Sorry to hear about that Hudd!

How do you like the dungeon's aquarium?
What's going on down here?

Oh @#$%&!

Jamie "Massive J" Massengale
I cast Mortikies faithful watchdog.

Josh Brigan
EatSleepDisc Pensacola
+20 Hit Points from the Succubus

Anyone want to photoshop a Hooters t-shirt on her? That would be some real hot Hooters wings LoL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013