Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Moving to Fort walton/ Want to start a course.

Posted by Jesse Amador 
HEY! I am moving to the Fort Walton Beach Area (Mary Esther) and would like to eventually start my own disc golf course, and was wandering if anybody could give me some pointers, or some ideas in helping.
Checkout discgolfassoc.com. They have some sound advice on course design. Surf the net. Do a search for 'discgolf' on yahoo. You'll find the help you're looking for. Also, checkout photos of other courses (internet) these may give you some insight into course layout.
One method might be to replicate various holes from existing courses. For example, if you love #15 at Morley Field, and #7 at Redan try to incorporate those layouts. Of course your variations would be relative to the terrain, so you wouldn't be "copying." Besides, if nothing is borrowed, nothing is lent.
Think about alternate tee/basket placements. This can definitely be a plus, and can distinguish world-class courses from the mundane.
And for the love of all things sacred, don't install the 'discatcher' brand baskets. They're just downright evil!
Good luck! Let everyone know how things turnout.
chris h
RE: Moving to Fort walton/ Want to start a course.
August 01, 2001 02:19AM
Don't completely rely on courses that you have played or seen in other places to dictate your design. It's your course and your holes should reflect your vision of what a disc golf course should be like. The most popular courses seem to be the ones that have a little of everything; right handed balanced against left handed and a variety of distances. Many unimaginative people design courses that they hope will directly emulate others that they have played, or that are so senselessly difficult that luck plays more of a part in a player's success than skill. Neither approach serves the sport or the player very well. The courses that are designed become generic and skill takes a back seat to luck. The land on which you design your course will tell you what holes can be placed there. Block out all of the scrub and small trees when you're walking the area and you'll be able to see what kind of holes can be placed in certain areas, keeping in mind the difficulty level that you want the course to have. That's what my friends and I did and it worked very well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013