Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

USDGC advice?????

Posted by sand2bass2 
USDGC advice?????
September 28, 2009 12:40PM
Does anyone who has attended this event have any advice to offer a first time competitor??? Any specific hole stand out in your mind to really watch out for / "limit the blowup" type hole??

What about morning gear vs. afternoon gear? Does it get chilly up there this time of year, in the morning that is? What about rain and wind? Has it rained in years past, or been really windy?

Any out-of-sight obstacles I need to really be aware of??

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.....Thanks!!
Re: USDGC advice?????
September 28, 2009 12:46PM
Have fun and enjoy the stage man

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
September 28, 2009 01:44PM
All I know is what I have seen as far as scores on the internet and whatever hole is the island hold make it in I saw where some people were taking like anywhere from 20 to 27 on that hole.

But I have seen you play you will do just fine!

GOOD LUCK MAN!
September 28, 2009 03:20PM
hey tony, call me when you get a chance
ww
September 28, 2009 03:36PM
If you think a shot might be worth it to try, DON'T!

Play it safe throughout. Keep it in between the lines and play for par. The birdies will come, just keep the blow-ups to a minimum.

Most of all, have fun. The greatest disc golf experience I've ever had.
September 28, 2009 04:13PM
888 is the hole to watch out for thats the round decider from what i have heard

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone always ask me how i throw far and the only answer is........... FORM!!!!!

2009 Junior World Champion
Team Innova
Team LsDiscs
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 04:14PM
You can usually count on at least one very windy round.

As for the course, here's a link to the 2009 caddy book. It tells you a lot about the layout:

[usdgc.com]
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 04:21PM
sand2bass2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone who has attended this event have any
> advice to offer a first time competitor???

Hogman---he wasn't talking to you

Head---he wasn't talking to you either

Kid---he wasn't talking to you either
September 28, 2009 04:26PM
Well I was talking to him.

I was not however talking to you
September 28, 2009 04:58PM
man thanks for clarifying. Must have slipped my mind that I've never been.........Or maybe that was me saying have a good time bc were are friends. Dunno Bluff what you think? See you in Baton Rouge in Ronnie and Keith's group.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 06:16PM
As your idol Gilligan would say Hogman, save it for a private message. It is extremely important that threads stay completely on topic at all times. If someone starts a thread and only wants advice from certain people and you're not one of those people, don't post. It's high time the SN forum had a bunch of rules and regulations around here. We all know Head can not follow SN rules and regulations though, so we will forgive him for being the way he is.
September 28, 2009 06:28PM
GL to both TB & Clayton and anyone else who's going.
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 06:35PM
Dillon---he wasn't talking to you either
September 28, 2009 06:49PM
well if he wasnt talkin to anyone but you kernan he would of sent you a private message and not post it on the forum asking for ANYONES help

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone always ask me how i throw far and the only answer is........... FORM!!!!!

Team Innova
Team LsDiscs
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 07:37PM
Kid, don't you have some English homework you should be doing instead of posting in threads in which you don't have any business posting?
September 28, 2009 07:46PM
TheKid Wrote:
> well if he wasnt talkin to anyone but you kernan
> he would of sent you a private message and not
> post it on the forum asking for ANYONES help

Umm... Sorry kid but what he said was:

"Does anyone who has attended this event have any advice to offer a first time competitor???"

Kernan has you there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 08:20PM
Gilligan---this thread does not pertain to you either
September 28, 2009 08:38PM
Touche, touche!

Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
September 28, 2009 08:41PM
well i got to give it kernan he did cash at usdgc and was a putting finalist, back when he was good..............

Team Innova
Team LsDiscs
September 28, 2009 09:11PM
Kernan we get it man. I guess only the elite can answer in this thread. I was just giving everyone good luck from the magnolia state that was going. I'm sure they wouldn't refuse me wishing them luck...
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 09:14PM
Dillon I was trying to make a point about the folly of trying to police thread drift as well.
September 28, 2009 09:56PM
It's funny that someone should mention the island hole b/c I was thining of just laying up and playing it for 3 each round. Is the layup area fairly easy to hit WW, Magee, Boba???

And 888, how would ya'll suggest playing it? Try to lay it up, or just bomb one down somewhere that touches in bounds and risk the o.b.??
September 28, 2009 09:59PM
Go forehand, forehand, bomb hyzer over the parking lot on 888.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 09:59PM by hobbit489.
Anonymous User
September 28, 2009 10:06PM
The island hole has changed since the last time I was there TB. I hear that it is possible to lay up for a 3 now.

888, the fairway is so slender that the OB is always a risk. I think the trick to that hole is to throw as far as you can accurately on shots one and two, which should set you up for a wide open shot to park it for a four. I think it's unwise to get greedy and play for the eagle 3, especially if it gets windy, but a four is definitely possible.
September 28, 2009 11:23PM
Since it might just be your only trip over there Just go for it all. It's what got you qualified to go.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
September 28, 2009 11:28PM
Toney the 888 hole plays with the BUNKR rule, if you throw OB you rethrow from same spot without a penilty stroke, the same for 17, the island hole and a few others.

try not to get alot of skip, land the disc flat, as they keep the grass real short! most of all have fun and soak it all in, you are going to have a blast!

when you getting there? i will be there sat. around noon, call me maybe we can get a practice round in together.

TK

205-222-7792
September 29, 2009 05:41AM
yea most of all good luck and just watch some video of last years usdgc that might help you out a little you can see many shots on each hole...........................

Team Innova
Team LsDiscs
September 29, 2009 07:55AM
Most of the time on 888 I go Roc,Roc and then driver across. Works pretty well.

As far as 17 I would suggest a forehand to the fat part of green and a long
putt for birdie.
Two years ago I pitched a putter 50-60 feet and then tossed in the green for
three's all four rounds.

In practice just go with the best percentage shot for YOUR game.

Good luck and have fun! I will not make it this year due to injuries and
work. First one missed since 2002.
ww
September 29, 2009 11:56AM
sand2bass2 Wrote:
> It's funny that someone should mention the island
> hole b/c I was thining of just laying up and
> playing it for 3 each round. Is the layup area
> fairly easy to hit WW, Magee, Boba???
>
> And 888, how would ya'll suggest playing it? Try
> to lay it up, or just bomb one down somewhere that
> touches in bounds and risk the o.b.??

I laid up right on 17. It leaves a long putt, but the alternative is DANGER. First round in '07, I laid up and got a three. Rivers went for it and got a 17.
That's different now with the BUNKR rule, though.

As for 13, I saw the big names go forehand left of the fairway trees off the tee. Then, they went either forehand or fairway driver on 2. On 3 was when they went for the green.
September 29, 2009 02:20PM
Tony-
I'll be going out there playing this year as well. From what I have observed in the video's and such. Some of the top guys have been taking a backhand roller on 888, then roc shot, and big hyzer.

On hole 17, it seems that alot of guys are taking a pitch shot just ahead and 2nd shot on the green. Others (Avery Jenkins) took his forehand and easily placed it on the green. In the USDGC VIDEO a guy went for it, twice, didn't make it, pitched up, next 3 shots didn't make it, and finally somehow got a 15 on that hole. Ouch!

Yo, I'm leaving on Sunday. I will see you out there next week! Good Luck to all of the SN Players.

Doug Trantham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013