Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Paul B Johnson new layout?

Posted by Rico Jaun 
Paul B Johnson new layout?
October 07, 2009 07:11AM
Played paul b on saterday morning and tried to play sunday morning but the course was all different. Anyone from the area know the way? what are the baskets with garbage bags about? whats up with the half buried basket on #4 or is it #3 or whatever hole was move by the beach, it is in a really bad spot people ALWAYS picnic there? aparently the club has no clue what happend to it or what it is.

Could anyone help me play a full round of 18?

(at Paul B)

Spin Crazy Disc Golf

Petal, MS
Re: Paul B Johnson new layout?
October 07, 2009 10:05AM
Hey RJ. I think Tony Bass took it upon himself to change the course to the way he felt it should be. This is not right. We as a group have been talking about this redesign for the last couple months, and then Tony goes and tells the park staff that his layout was agreed on by the club, which is totally false. Once I hear back from the park manager, I'll schedule a meeting at the park for all who want input on the course layout to attend.
October 07, 2009 02:12PM
OMG. I am so depressed about the way that our home course has been mangled! I know that a redesign was needed...Hole #3 had to go, and the course needed to be adjusted around that. But I thought there were several people working on different proposals for a new layout...I thought we would all vote on the best one. ( I guess I can't really say that I know what was really going on because I'm not a member of HubCityDG...but I'm friends with people who are members, and that was the plan they quoted. Still, HubCity members are NOT the only people who consider Paul B. their home course.)

The new layout (that I'm pretty sure will not be there for long) is really awful. Hole 2 plays the same, so WHY ON EARTH DID HOLE 1 GET CHANGED? It's not even an improvement! Hole 1 was one of the best holes on the course!
Another thing: What's up with the basket by the beach area? We already had problems with beach-goers, and now we are closer to the only shade near the beach--the place that everybody sets up. You know what else really sucks? The baskets that were moved are CONCRETED in already! Whoever moved them must have thought that their opinion was so much more important than that of others.

At least Shane is holding it down in Poplarville. We're looking forward to playing PRCC more; this Saturday's tournament will be awesome.

I hope something positive can happen at Paul B. I'll help anyway that I can, as long as it's being done for the betterment of EVERYONE that plays disc golf.
October 08, 2009 04:36PM
sooooooo,

can anyone tell me the what the layout is so i can play some golf already!
October 08, 2009 11:21PM
I think we figured out that the new hole 1 is old 2. Then you walk about a quarter mile to the backside of the bathrooms and throw towards the sunbathers. Then you walk another quarter mile and throw back up to the practice basket (old 6's basket; warm-up basket). The hole that I thought was the new 1 is actually hole 4. I have no idea after that. It's super confusing. All of the transitions are super long. I think the only part of the course that was left alone are the 3 peninsula holes.

I really don't understand why this happened when it did. It doesn't make sense to me. If there was such a rush to get this done, then why was it started and then not finished? This change took place Saturday afternoon...it's now almost the weekend again, and it looks the same as it did Sunday morning. Whoever did this obviously not consider the fact that other people might want to play the course this week...if rumor is correct, then the guilty party is actually out-of-town for the whole week. If that's the case, then why couldn't it have waited until their return?

I have been playing disc golf for 3 years now, and during that time I have tried to regularly contribute to various activities that better the sport (helping to clean up courses, trying to be helpful at tournaments, and aiming to be a good ambassador for the sport) I love disc golf as much as any other player, and it hurts me to know that other players of the sport do not hold my opinion in the same regard as I hold/held theirs.

Sincerely,

Lindsey Broome
Spin Crazy Disc Golf Team
October 08, 2009 11:33PM
Man, I loved the old pre-hurricane Paul B! Had some good times down there.

rWc3523
October 08, 2009 11:43PM
Russ3523 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man, I loved the old pre-hurricane Paul B! Had
> some good times down there.
>
> rWc3523

Ah, i miss that course.

Terry Zeringue
October 08, 2009 11:45PM
I heard it was a beauty! I'm sorry I never made it down there before the hurricane

Kenneth Gustine
[www.ColumbusDGA.com]
October 10, 2009 07:53PM
Check out this site.
[www2.netdoor.com]
October 10, 2009 08:42PM
One of the best courses ever before the storms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 11, 2009 12:00PM
da triangle was the bomb!!!!
October 11, 2009 08:37PM
before Katrina hole #15 was probably one of the most challenging holes in the south. I agree with ya'll ...a great course in the old days
October 12, 2009 08:05AM
You people are something else....The course is going to be great! Just give it a little time. Yes, changes had to be made and we wanted only 18 holes on the regular course with the other baskets going toward another 9 holer somewhere else in the park, so yes, some holes had to go. Other holes had to go so that the course flowed well. Whether you agree with the changes or not, there is no denying that the new layout flows pretty well. There are small walks between some holes, yeah, but when you have as few trees as we do out there, they have to be spread apart or else tees and baskets are right on top of each other, like they were before, presenting safety hazards. The transitions spoke of above are not nearly as long as SOMEONE has tried to make them out to be. Before I address this person and other statements that were made, let me choose my words wisely. This will take just a little time. To be continued.....

And for those who have not been out to see the new layout, the course hasn't changed that much. A lot of the holes are exactly the same as they were before with a few being tweaked, a few being completely taken out, and a few new holes being added in. We lost holes 3,4,5, D & E, and made A, B, & C part of the permanent 18 hole course. Original hole #'s 2, 7, 9. 10, 11, 12, 17 & 18 are exactly the same as they were. We have 2 new holes in the area where # 4, 5 & 6 played that are really sweet! One down to the water from the bathroom, and one back up the hill to #6's basket. These holes are very similar to the first PBJ layout #'s 4 & 7 but much longer and challenging. Also, the Original #18 has been brought back, from the first PBJ layout.

There are maps in the office (and have been for over a week now) that are very easy to follow. If you are familiar at all with the old course, you should have no problem finding your way around the new layout. The only confusing thing about the map is the Am tees for #12 are to the left of the Pro tees and not to the right as is depicting on the map. It was a much better hole from this side than I had originally thought. This change will be made to the map today.

TB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 08:45AM by sand2bass2.
October 12, 2009 08:14AM
I don’t believe the layout is the entire problem I think it is the fact that you are a douche bag that does what ever the “f” he wants no mater what other people think or want. you cant just go change a public course to what you want it does not work that way and I am sure when the manager finds out that you lied to him about the "club" making a decision on this he is not going to be happy. He has already insured rj and i that you will never run another tournament at paul b again and I am hoping that you are not allowed to be at paul b after this (what a glorious day that will be)
October 12, 2009 08:44AM
The layout was agreed upon by myself, Laughlin and Dale. Massive J even said he wouldn't be against using it either. Everyone had the same amount of time to come up with a layout that I did, but nothing surfaced. For 2-3 months we talked about everyone getting something down on paper and going from there and noone else did. When I asked people about their layout, noone (that I could reach anyway) had an actual 18 hole layout worked out. Just ideas that they liked to throw around but not an actual 18 hole layout. So NO, this isn't just MY layout. This is a layout that has Jamie's, Laughlin and my ideas on it. So get your facts straight people before coming on here spouting about things you know nothing about. If you Ransom or Lindsey ever took part in what we try to do as a club then ya'lls opinions would be heard and taken into consideration as well. Ya'll choose to isolate yourselves, not us, so don't complain when things are not done the way you want them to.

Bottom line is, when it comes to getting the course re-designed, we have been dragging our feet for months. We have known that some things had to be changed for many months now. We have talked, talked, talked, but noone is DOING anything. Everyone in our club knew what needed to be done and how long we had to do it, yet most chose to still drag their feet. It is just like last fall when we talked about making A, B, & C permanent and taking out those lame holes that got put in after the storm. People talked about doing it for months, yet noone was willing to do the actual work. So I went out there and did it by myself. This time is no different. While people sit and talk, I would rather get up and do. That's how I am. I don't sit around and wait to see what happens. I wish more people around here were like that.

Also, the layout is not permanent until we have new tee signs. All the baskets are NOT concreted in (as someone who don't know what they are talking about eluded to earlier) so they can still be easily moved. The ones that are concreted (I think there are 2) wasn't set with much concrete at all, so once again they can still be moved. This was a change for the time being that had to be done to facilitate the splashpad that is going in, and may or may not stay. There is nothing permanent about it, until we do tee signs. So all you people who like to do nothing but bash other people's work, go out and give the course a try and keep an open mind about it. Whether you hate me or not, keep an open mind about it, b/c the course really is going to be MUCH better. And if we come up with something better, then more change it is....

Ransom, I have warned you before about running your mouth about me. I am sure you remember the promise I made you after the last time. So when you see me, you best be ready!!! I know I will be.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 09:00AM by sand2bass2.
October 12, 2009 08:48AM
"The layout was agreed upon by myself, Laughlin and Dale. Massive J even said he wouldn't be against using it either. Everyone had the same amount of time to come up with a layout that I did, and noone else did. For 2-3 months we talked about everyone getting something down on paper and going from there and noone else did. When I asked people about their layout, noone had a thing on paper actually worked out. Just ideas that they liked to throw around but not an actual 18 hole layout."

I came up with THREE different layouts!!!!!
Granted they weren't 18 hole final layouts but they were ideas put forth by another golfer
that is important to this so called "club" we have here in H-Burg.
Yet I was not even asked...anything at all.
None of my ideas were taken into consideration.
Yet you put a layout down on paper and its now the PBJ Disc Golf Bible
WTF???
I'm sick of being held hostage.
This is a disaster!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 09:04AM by SuperSheaps.
October 12, 2009 09:09AM
Dude, how many times did I try and call you only to get no answer. I emailed you and got no reply. How many times would you continue to call someone who doesn't answer? 2 months have passed and I have'nt heard anything from you on the subject. Why is that? How long are we supposed to wait?

I don't know where ya'll get off with the whole "it's all about me" shite! All I want is to have a good course for everyone to play, and I am sorry that I want it now and don't want to keep waiting. I am afraid that if it were left up to you and Jamie it would never get done. Like I said, this isn't MY layout. MY layout was changed and tweaked with others ideas into the layout we have now. So get off of it already....And make yourself and your ideas available to other people.

TB
October 12, 2009 09:16AM
yes it does flow . like two day old concrete!
October 12, 2009 09:22AM
Grow up, Shut up and play. Who cares who laid out what, just be thankful there is a still a course in Hattiesburg. It has always been one of my favorites and still will be no matter what the layout is and no matter who came up with it.

Dangerous Don
October 12, 2009 09:32AM
sounds good to me i cant wait just remember you said to be ready so i will be just dont go press charges on me when it is over i am so excited i cant wait to see you
Anonymous User
October 12, 2009 10:22AM

Press charges? Are you going to sodomize him again Ransom? Is that illegal in Mississippi or not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 10:30AM by Bluff Magee.
October 12, 2009 10:58AM
I never agreed to Tony's changes. I wasn't even told the changes had been made.
October 12, 2009 12:05PM
sand2bass2 Wrote:
> Dude, how many times did I try and call you only
> to get no answer.

I recall none.

> I emailed you and got no reply.

You sent me an email to an address that I have not used in years.

>I don't know where ya'll get off with the whole
> "it's all about me" shite! All I want is to have
> a good course for everyone to play, and I am sorry
> that I want it now and don't want to keep waiting.
> I am afraid that if it were left up to you and
> Jamie it would never get done. Like I said, this
> isn't MY layout.

This is exactly my point. It's not about you yet you use "I" SEVEN
different times in the previous paragraph. You know I would have helped so don't lump me in with Massive J.

>MY layout was changed and
> tweaked with others ideas into the layout we have
> now. So get off of it already....And make
> yourself and your ideas available to other
> people.

I gave Jason 3 different layouts. I think thats 'available' ideas.
October 12, 2009 12:19PM
I stated your exact words above Massive, so don't try to make me out to be a liar. You sat at my house and said "I wouldn't be totally against it" after Dale and Laughlin agreed it was a good layout. That was 3 out of 5 of our PARTICIPATING club members saying they liked it and another 1 not being totally against it, with the last one not being able to be reached (at least not by me). So yes, I came to the conclusion that the majority ruled, decided to not drag feet about it and went to work.
October 12, 2009 12:42PM
sand2bass2 Wrote:

> Whether you agree with the changes or not, there is no
> denying that the new layout flows pretty well.

I'll deny it.

> There are small walks between some holes, yeah,
> but when you have as few trees as we do out there,
> they have to be spread apart or else tees and
> baskets are right on top of each other, like they
> were before, presenting safety hazards.

What does the amount of trees have to do with anything? What safety hazards do you speak of? The only real safety hazard is the potential of hitting somebody on the beach...which is now a bigger possibility

> The transitions spoke of above are not nearly as long
> as SOMEONE has tried to make them out to be.
> Before I address this person and other statements
> that were made, let me choose my words wisely.
> This will take just a little time. To be
> continued.....

I said that those transitions are long, and they are. I have never sweated so much or felt so tired after 4 holes! I'm looking forward to you getting the right words together...

> We have 2 new holes in the area where # 4, 5 & 6 played that are
> really sweet! One down to the water from the
> bathroom, and one back up the hill to #6's basket.

I guess you're entitled to your opinion...a basket that sticks 10 feet out of the ground and has a 15 degree angle on it is not sweet to me. The one throwing back up the hill is going to be constantly backed up waiting on the pedestrians to finish making their way to the bathrooms.
>
> There are maps in the office (and have been for
> over a week now) that are very easy to follow. If
> you are familiar at all with the old course, you
> should have no problem finding your way around the
> new layout.

The map is very inaccurate. teepads and baskets are not marked the same on the map and the ground.

In reference to your other post, I've spoken with Massive and Dale...they both told us that they had nothing to do with your plan...so either they are riding both sides of the fence, or you're full of sh1t. (to be fair, I haven't spoken to Laughlin yet) Still, Tony Bass is not the emperor of Hattiesburg disc golf, and if you were trying to promote the growth of the sport in this town, you would not be so quick to belittle the opinions of others playing the game. I do not participate in the Hub City Disc Golf league because of issues like this...the Tony Bass disc golf club DOES NOT sound appealing. After the disastrous ice bowl, and again in this post, you have insinuated that I have done nothing to help...maybe YOU should learn some things before you go spouting off. Helping does not equal doing whatever the h*ll you want to do...there are certain rules of order that have to be followed. There's a lot of good golf being played here, by people who love the sport, but you're missing out because you want to be in charge. We will keep playing, just not with you, and not at any course that you design. Paul B. Johnson is state property, and we ALL have a say in it. Even if you can't "get in touch" with us...

Lindsey

PS: Be careful with your words and tone when you reply, you will eventually run into my husband...
October 12, 2009 01:10PM
no one can make you out to be what you are.
what i find funny is that i am not the only one that posted on this thread but i am the only one that you want to fight. that is fine by me but i would suggest you ask around before you try me you will find that there are easier people to fight than me. i am not saying that it will be one sided but i am the last one you want to fight.

ps i would listen to Lindsey you dont want wade at you.
October 12, 2009 01:24PM
What a great thread for the sport!
October 12, 2009 01:44PM
"Days of Our Life" Hattiesburg disc golf style.
October 12, 2009 02:04PM
I agree. This sucks. Ok. The park will begin construction of the wetpad at the beginning of November. We have many people in the area that have ideas for the course. We should have a deadline for submitting a course idea, then we should all meet at the park and vote on the new design. Googlemap the park and sharpie in your design if you have to...Hattiesburgers, we should get together on this...I believe we can all get in touch one way or another. If we need to put somebody in charge of receiving submissions and posting the proposals at the park, then let's do it! We have time! We have people!

For the time being, the course should be put back the way it was. That's my vote.

-Lindsey

(if a 20 page research paper can be finished in a week, then a layout for a course can be designed in a month...)
October 12, 2009 02:27PM
I don't need to ask anybody anything Ransom. I know all I need to know....

And Linz, your last statement will not affect my words/response one bit. I am sure I WILL run into your husband, and my words/responses will be the same then too. I have never had a problem with Wade in the past, and I am sorry you have chose to side with Spin Crazy without having been around me AT ALL. You should form your own opinion based on your own experiences and not just on what you hear, b/c Ransom and I have been at it for years. Of course you won't hear any of the good from him, only the bad. That's all he ever expresses is the negative on any of his posts, on any topic. That's why he is the laughing stock of this forum....

I don't know what Dale and Massive told you, but what I stated above are facts. I don't make stuff up just for my own enjoyment. Riding both sides of the fence is probably right. I'll call them both tonight and see what they say....

Oh and as far as #2 goes, yes I forgot to go back and plant the basket all the way into the ground. I thought a particular someone was going out on Sunday morning and i was going to get them to take care of it for me, but they were not able to make it out. For that I do apologize, it will be fixed ASAP!

TB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013