Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Solution to Sponsor viewing

Posted by shane 
Solution to Sponsor viewing
October 14, 2009 12:31PM
I think there are some things that are spoken about on this board, that potential sponsors may feel a little squeamish about having their name affiliated with. Why not have a forward facing site, that has information about the upcoming tournaments, stats, sponsorship information, etc. This site would basically have dynamic data from the database as well as documents and resources affiliated with the SN without the message boards. Everyone else that wants the discussion board can still have the sandbox to play in, while sponsors and others can still look at the data from the SN without being exposed to the message board.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
Re: Solution to Sponsor viewing
October 14, 2009 12:38PM
Not sure I'm reading you correctly Shane... isn't that what this site does?

We have the front page with a glimpse of the schedule as well as the schedule, FAQs and tournament results section. Then there is the forum (cue dramatic music).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
October 14, 2009 12:54PM
I like that idea, Shane. I never send anyone here. I send them to the PDGA site because it has the resources, demographic information, etc., that sponsors would be interested in.

I'm guessing this would be a separate site?

The whole idea is to provide sponsors with INFORMATION about disc golf and the sn, NOT let them see the BS posted on the forum.

rWc3523

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 12:55PM by Russ3523.
October 14, 2009 12:54PM
I agree with Shane. Make the forum unavailable for viewing for people who haven't created a profile.
October 14, 2009 01:00PM
But what if the sponsor creates a forum profile? I think the idea is to direct them to an informational site, rather than a site where they have the opportunity to check the forums.
October 14, 2009 01:01PM
Then they would just make a profile.. To accomplish what Shane is suggesting would require actually hiding the forum from the main website. You would have to know where to go for the forum.

Kenneth Gustine
[www.ColumbusDGA.com]
October 14, 2009 01:03PM
I disagree... we have 10-20 "guest" viewing at any given time. Some people like to view the forums but not participate... even some of the "pros" do this.

I do agree that we might need more info on the main page... the forum is something someone chooses to go to, you don't have to direct them to it.

You have to seek it out. I guess if you put enough info on the main page and obvious links then less of those people will likely "stumble" onto the forum.

As I've stated, I have a client that used to play disc golf and he has sponsored an event... I'm certain if I gave him the website he would browse around and look at all the info on the SN but not really pay much attention to the forum, unless he WANTED to delve into it.

October 14, 2009 01:07PM
Do you guys really think "potential sponsors" want to come into the forum?

I am personally under the impression that a sponsor would want to know about the SN as an organization. This information could be beefed up on the main page. But I highly doubt many of them care to go into the forums.

We buy $20k vehicles all the time, how many times have we ever gone to a ford/dodge/gm/toyota/honda forum before we decide to drop that cash? We might go to consumer reports but we spend LOTS of money every year and don't dig into the forums on every major purchase.

Sponsors are more interested in ROI or maybe PR... not a forum with 23-29 users MAX.

October 14, 2009 01:11PM
Everyone should read Shane's post again. It's pretty clear what he's talking about. He's talking about an informational sn site WITHOUT forums! I think the whole point is to provide information and keep folks AWAY from the forums. That's not to say some sponsor won't find this site on their own. It's not that hard. And if they do find it, the "FORUM" tab is not exactly hidden.

rWc3523
Lex
October 14, 2009 01:12PM
I agree with Shane. We could still have the forum in the same web address just not have a link to it from the SNDG website, or put it in tiny letters at the bottom of the website where many businesses put contact us.

225-268-9315
October 14, 2009 01:15PM
Obviously it wasn't that "clear" since there has been confusing (myself being one).

I just disagree... yes the forum isn't hidden in anyway and it shouldn't be... I think it is a vital part of the SN. I just don't think sponsors would ever come on to a forum and even if they did, I doubt they would read many of the post. They have better things to do with their time.

October 14, 2009 01:21PM
Yea.. if you skip a couple of days reading, you've missed all the drama for sure.

Kenneth Gustine
[www.ColumbusDGA.com]
October 14, 2009 01:22PM
What part isn't clear?

"This SITE would have dynamic data from the database .... WITHOUT THE FORUMS"

Maybe Shane will come back with a sixth grade version of his post. ; )

rWc3523
October 14, 2009 01:23PM
Maybe you can learn to quote things... and you are a reporter?

Lex
October 14, 2009 01:27PM
But now that I think about it we advertise fundraisers and things like the Howler cleanup this weekend on this forum and that is pretty important IMO. We would have to come up with a substitute for those things like a bulletin board that has approved information, and that sounds like a lot more work than it's worth. I think we just need to focus on leaving personal attacks off of the general discusion and try to keep this site, at least the general discussion, more information oriented.

225-268-9315

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 01:28PM by Lex.
October 14, 2009 01:27PM
Shane, please clarify what you're proposing. It sounds like your advocating the creation of a new "information only" site that does not include forums. Is that correct?

rWc3523

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 01:51PM by Russ3523.
October 14, 2009 01:44PM
If the sn would get rid of the few boneheads, including myself at times and had rules and regulations the forum wouldn't hurt potential sponsors.

Maybe if we worked together, stopped bickering, and worked on ways to improve than quoting eachother and going back and forth all day we wouldn't have to hide the forum, but then again what's more entertaining than the Bluff Mcgee comedy hour.
October 14, 2009 01:50PM
Lex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But now that I think about it we advertise
> fundraisers and things like the Howler cleanup
> this weekend on this forum and that is pretty
> important IMO. We would have to come up with a
> substitute for those things like a bulletin board
> that has approved information, and that sounds
> like a lot more work than it's worth. I think we
> just need to focus on leaving personal attacks off
> of the general discusion and try to keep this
> site, at least the general discussion, more
> information oriented.

I don't disagree with this being a good idea in theory... but in practice no one would go to the forum.

Plain and simple, drama is what makes a forum active.... our record guest and users days have come on days when we've had the most drama and Kernan has been at his best/worst (depending on what side you were on there.)

As I've said... our forum as pretty mild and nothing being said will chase sponsors away. The stuff that happens here isn't really any more racy than a bad WB show. ;) And in that regard, look at some of the biggest shows on TV... they aren't chasing sponsors away and they are just as racy as we are and often WAY more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 01:51PM by Gilligan.
October 14, 2009 02:04PM
I didn't know this was a soap opera or reality forum. I thought it was a forum for information on upcoming tournaments and what not.
October 14, 2009 02:21PM
It IS, Dillion, but along with that comes smack talk in tournament threads and everything else that comes with a forum. It's hard to cut down on the forum BS unless you take a hard line like the PDGA has on their forum. Maybe Shane will clarify his point about what appears to be an idea for a separate "informational" site that has NO forum. Of course, that would mean TWO sites to maintain.

This site is NOT television and while the "drama" might be entertaining for other disc golfers, it might not be appealing to potential sponsors. If you believe Keith, it killed his potential sponsor plan. There have been others who have stated they would NOT send potential sponsors here because of the forum.

rWc3523
October 14, 2009 02:39PM
Screw the drama, I'm an adult. I've got plenty of drama to deal with on my own. Disc golf is my "fun" time and this forum just oozes negativity at times....Comparing TV commercials to sndg sponsorship is not the same. You really can't say "nothing being said will chase sponsors away", that's probably not true. I'm sure a local H'burg sponsor reading something like the "Paul B. Johnson" thread going on right now would just love to be associated with those guys with all the bickering and physical threats going on there. You CAN'T doubt or assume what a sponsor is thinking or going to think. What's "mild" to you may not be mild to another regardless if it was on WB or not. You also can't doubt or assume a sponsor won't check the forums. The fact is, they are here and anyone can look and see these posts at anytime. It only takes one individual or post to give someone cold feet about being a sponsor. Unfortunately, there are way more than one individual(s) and posts on this forum to accomodate. As far as I'm concerned, the forums could go completely. There are many .org's out there that survive just fine without forums hitched to their website....This doesn't apply only to sponsors, it can be anyone that would possibly want to be a part of the SN's. TD's in other cities wanting to join, random golfer just checking out the SN, new disc golfers in the area, etc....Some of the things posted on this forum can most definitely be detrimental and shine a bad light on the SN and disc golf in general.

Mike-b
October 14, 2009 02:46PM
Thanks for letting me know there was some good post in the Paul B. Johnson thread, going to check it now :)
October 14, 2009 02:52PM
Mike-b has is right. Lose the forum. Make it info only. Let someone else have the forum instead of it being in the sn name.
October 14, 2009 02:58PM
I have to disagree with removing the forum from sn.org. Most of the threads contain valuable information about tournament and provide a means for folks to ask questions before they make a long drive. I think the majority of the info in the forum is fine, but it seems to get out of hand. Like them or not, the PDGA simply removes offenders and that seems to solve their problem. I still like Shane's idea and I'd be against doing away with the forum. I would not be against getting rid of the type of posts that might harm the sn.

rWc3523
October 14, 2009 03:40PM
Correct and besides what Russ just said it is a way for some people to keep in touch with other players that they enjoy... like say Mobz and us La people. Sure there is emails blah blah blah... but that doesn't work when you got Brooks calling out "Jethro" and him returning fire about his pony tail and calling him squiggly... these are all in good fun and enjoyed by all that are in on the joke... that can't take place via emails or phone calls. These are mostly all in good fun (above example for sure) and no one would take them the wrong way. This is why the forum is great.

My issue with saying sponsors are run off... is that, well, let's look at Keith's alleged example: Entergy... an electric company that doesn't give their customers a choice... most (if not all) don't get a choice in who their electric company is... you don't like it then go off the grid basically. So they were going to give us $5,000 and give a charity $2,500 if we were to give the charity $2,500... seems far fetched but lets say it is exactly that.

Now Entergy does this and their banner is at the SNPC with all what 50-100 spectators (I'm being generous I'm sure)... but we do draw some local tv coverage due tot he charity and Entergy's involvement... so ok a few Thousand (even tens of thousands) are aware of this "partnership"... they think... well, that is great... I'm gonna go check out this SN organization. Let's google them (I'm already skeptic this would happen)... so the stumble on the website and look around, read the FAQs, learn what disc golf is. Then for some reason they decide to come on this forum and they find "the thread"... oh no, Kernan has flamed Ronnie for taking longer than 30 seconds at the SNPC and causing a backup and oh no... people are going crazy and a pic of some girl in a bikini is put up suggesting this was his caddy. So now this person of obviously high moral standards is highly offended... They then are appalled that Entergy would associate themselves such an organization... and what is this the forum "admin" is involved in such shenanigans as much as this Kernan guy?! This is dispicable and I just can't believe it. I'm disconnecting my service with Entergy and going off the grid! Good riddance Entergy, how dare you support such an organization, regardless if they helped you give a charity $5,000. Their users offend me and I will boycott everything you stand for!

Doesn't this all seem a little far fetched?

October 14, 2009 03:41PM
the people that want to lose the forum are still posting on the forum

Terry Zeringue
October 14, 2009 03:51PM
And as far as "smaller" sponsors.

They are looking for ROI... I am one of the FEW business owners I have ever known that would refuse to advertise on a medium because of principle... knowing FULL well that it was be a GREAT place for my business to advertise. I have been called a bad business owner because I have done so.

*it was a local right wing radio station that I DO actually listen to but I would never support their programming. They called me up and I agreed they would be a good match for my business but I told them I'm sorry I don't support your programming and that is exactly what me advertising on there would do.

Again... I bet I'm one of the VERY few business owners that would turn down a lucrative medium on principle.

Our problem with sponsors is very simple... we don't offer them anything. Most donate out of friendship not ROI.

October 14, 2009 03:55PM
I'm sure some morning show radio shows would get a kick out of this forum... Maybe have Bluff take calls on Tuesday's LOL.
October 14, 2009 03:59PM
I think General Mills got with Michael TM on how to make a wraith breakfast.

Or maybe he contacted the "Got an idea" invention program and coined an infomercial on how a wraith can fix more things than duct tape.
ESP
October 14, 2009 04:44PM
SEE THIS IS WHAT MAKE THIS FORUM AWESOME TO ME. Hearing what people think and their passion is for real. I know plenty of people who play discgolf jsut around here that have never been on this site. And never been on our local site. Shane has the right idea. My opinion. Think about the population that makes up DISCGOLF. THE BEST IN THE WORLD DO >>>>> things people dont agree with. I really dont think cause of a forum some might not want to be associated. Think it would be an excuse. Not a reason. Maybe when you get TIGER WOODS himself to play a GOLF/DISCGOLF run tournament maybe things would speed up. Have CLIMO/WOODS. How do you get that to happen? Just saying ideas are just that. Then people think and say their response. Wheter possitve or not is up to them. FREEDOM OF SPEECH. You can go to any site and say what you think. SPORTS, SHOPPING, NEWS, HERE!!!! A new site for FACE is probably the right idea. It is hard for me to believe that some of these gripes are not genuine. WE WILL NEVER ALL AGREE!!!! WE WILL NEVER NOT FUSS!!!! WE ARE HUMAN AND HAVE MANY DIFFERENCES!!!! AND IDEAS THAT ARE NOT OF THE SAME!!!! GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!!! Have fun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013