Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The best way to discuss and implement course changes

Posted by Rinkelstein 
The best way to discuss and implement course changes
October 21, 2009 09:48AM
Any suggestions?
Lex
Re: The best way to discuss and implement course changes
October 21, 2009 09:59AM
League meetings, this forum, and then schedule a "tryout" (set up temp baskets and actually see how the course flows), more discussing, and then set up a work day and let everyone who wants to help come out and set it up.

It's slow but usually everyone ends up happy.

225-268-9315
October 21, 2009 11:05AM
See this thread.

[www.sndg.org]

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
October 21, 2009 12:09PM
Hilarious
October 21, 2009 12:20PM
I think that's the exact opposite of what we're looking for. Are you wanting to change anything here in Lafayette, Stafford?
October 21, 2009 12:44PM
Good example, Jabba. Go with Lex's suggestion. It is slow, as evidenced by our new course, but more successful. Don't rush it.

rWc3523
October 21, 2009 01:03PM
Lex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> League meetings, this forum, and then schedule a
> "tryout" (set up temp baskets and actually see how
> the course flows), more discussing, and then set
> up a work day and let everyone who wants to help
> come out and set it up.
>
> It's slow but usually everyone ends up happy.

I agree. That is the best way to do it. But what do you do if there is one person in the area that sidesteps everybody's collaborative efforts and implements changes on their own without any regard for the others?

In reference to the Paul B. post, there are about 15 people who have shown interest in the new course design...9 of these people attended a meeting to discuss ideas and proposals (others have posted thoughts on here)...after that meeting, 7 of us attended a follow-up meeting at the course to look at those ideas and see if they actually worked. At the end of that meeting, there was an 18-hole layout that everyone that was present agreed upon. One person was put in charge of putting that proposal into an electronic format and posting it publicly, which was done. The agreed-upon changes were not implemented at the time, because a formal vote that included everybody was (and is still) needed. Everyone was made aware of both meetings, and invitations to attend either or both were open to all. Still, changes have been made to the course by ONE person that did not attend either of the meetings.

I am someone who truly cares about the betterment of this sport, and I have the intention of making it a life-long endeavor. Personally, I would value any advice that would help to better this situation and my reaction to it. I'm sure that in my efforts to contribute and to communicate with others, I have made mistakes here and there. I still feel that all of my points are valid, I'm just sure that there would have been a better way to do it. If this ever happens again, it would be helpful to have better form. Like I said, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Lindsey Broome

PS: PM me if you would like...I DO read any messages that someone sends me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 01:07PM by LinzB.
October 21, 2009 01:13PM
No, I have no intentions of changing anything in Lafayette as far as course design goes. This was created as an oppurtunity for people to get an idea of the best way to implement course design with the least amount of drama (see frzbman's post.) If I am not mistaken, Donovan, you helped with the PA redesign that happened earlier this year. I don't remember hearing a single disc golfer complaining about it. I think that was the proper way to handle it.
Lex
October 21, 2009 01:37PM
We are currently in the middle of putting a permanant new, old course in and we have to change it up a little because of flooding issues. John Fowler has done most of the work and he has done a bang up job at it. We set it up and played it and looked at possible flow issues, then john tweaked it and presented it to Brec and then BREC voiced their concerns and then we tweaked it again. I'm pretty sure it will be in the ground by Jan. Not sure but I hope so, and when it is in the ground it will have been a group effort from all the disc golfers here who voiced their opinions and BREC all headed up by Mr. F'n Fowler, and we all still get along.

225-268-9315
October 21, 2009 02:29PM
Rinkelstein Wrote:
> No, I have no intentions of changing anything in
> Lafayette as far as course design goes. This was
> created as an oppurtunity for people to get an
> idea of the best way to implement course design
> with the least amount of drama (see frzbman's
> post.) If I am not mistaken, Donovan, you helped
> with the PA redesign that happened earlier this
> year. I don't remember hearing a single disc
> golfer complaining about it. I think that was the
> proper way to handle it.

Well, I think the biggest reason there wasn't much complaining by the locals is because people had been saying that the back 9 over at PA needed to be revamped, so to speak, ever since it was put in the ground. It is my understanding that the back 9 was sort of rushed as far as designing is concerned. So, in that respect, the drama was kept at a minumum. The front 9 wasn't touched (except for the repositioning of 9's basket) and that's because we all agreed that there was nothing wrong with the front. It's the back 9 where the land (elevations and natural fairways) was not used to it's potential.

But there was a long period of time (months) where there was just "talk" of a redesign. And in fact, I can't say that there was ever a club meeting just to discuss a new layout or present ideas of a new layout. (not that I recall anyways) And that's not to say that no one wanted to go out there and do the work. We have plenty of volunteers that consistently go out of their way to do whatever is necessary to make our courses what they are today and we should be very thankful for that.

But I'll tell you this... There were a select few who had the ideas for the new holes and I guess you can say we trusted them. At that point, I think we were all just ready to play some new holes and see some changes out at PA. But when the time came to go out there and set in new posts and mark off tee boxes and all that jazz, there were no altercations, no bickering, and no objections to what was going on. There were more than enough people out there helping and it went up in no time. I've, to this day, heard absolutely no complaints about the new layout. To my knowledge just about everyone was very satisfied.

-Donovan Boudreaux
Lex
October 21, 2009 03:14PM
If you respect your fellow disc golfers there should never be any fights.

225-268-9315
October 21, 2009 03:16PM
Lex Wrote:
> If you respect your fellow disc golfers there
> should never be any fights.

I agree with that Lex, but it has to be mutual. You can't give respect if you aren't given any... It goes both ways.
October 22, 2009 08:20PM
I'm going to have to agree with Jabba. Much more entertaining :)
October 23, 2009 06:39AM
Best way to discuss it we found is wake up at 7 am.. load the saws, loppers, and gloves. meet at the course and go to cutting, End the drama, HA!! but some others may roll a little different..We dont mind trimming pretty trees do we Mr. Coley.

Michaelâ„¢ :What this world needs is more Junior Mint's, hold the fruitcakes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013