Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

RULES OF DISC GOLF

Posted by misterbogey 
misterbogey
RULES OF DISC GOLF
November 27, 2002 08:25PM
The purpose of this forum is to talk about the rules of Disc Golf, particularly those of the PDGA. ;-)
Re: RULES OF DISC GOLF
December 03, 2002 02:15PM
Should I be more strict on scorecards turned with the wrong score (2 stroke penalty) or not?

The PDGA and SN rules are basically identical, ex for our grandfather clause for the Masters etc...

We need to have more people read the rule book, and not argue when they are in the wrong.

Oh yea Doug W. You owe me 2nd at the Turkey shoot, that measureing devise is illeagle, 2stroke penalty with no warning; I beat you by a stroke!!! oH WELL, TOO LATE NOW TO @#$%&, BUT IN THE FUTURE, FOR OUR SPORT TO REALLY GROW, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO START FOLLOWING THE RULE BOOK A LITTLE MORE CLOSER. (sorry didn't realize that I had hit the Cap locked button)

Peace
December 03, 2002 07:15PM
Now that is funny. I even told DW I thought his scope was illegal before the tourney and he refuted that. I didn’t argue because I thought he might look it up or it would be more fun to see him get busted. It probably made him play worse anyway.
December 04, 2002 08:15AM
OK, one more wordy posting then I have to get to work.

Caveat: I'm a rules zealot. =8)

I think everyone who plays an organized sport of any time understands that rules are involved. I've talked with different people though and it's clear to me that not everyone understands all of the rules. While some of the rules may be fairly obscure, at least all of the basics should be understood if you're going to participate in a tournament.

Suggestion: At SN tourneys, novice or first-time tourney players could be given a PDGA rules book along their new disc.

At the players meeting, a simple statement that ANY rules infraction brought to the attention of the TD will result in assessment of the appropriate penalty. The rules should be politely but firmly enforced, and hopefully people take it in the spirit of good sportsmanship. I believe most players will respect consistent rules enforcement, especially when infractions can affect the outcome of the tournament.

With regard to the scoring errors, for example, a simple statement could be made at the next tournament players meeting: "At the Greenwood Gobbler, several scorecards were turned in with the wrong scores. Turning in the wrong scores is a two-stroke penalty, which could affect your placement in your division. Double-check your scores before turning in the score cards. Once the card is turned in, regardless of whether the TD is present, any scoring errors will result in a two-stroke penalty."

Will, I think that everyone knows you have the best interest of the SN and DG at heart. While no one enjoys getting called for a rules infraction, I think the vast majority of players will support your effort to run fair and equitable tournaments.
Steve Heaps
December 04, 2002 11:19AM
I think the rules should be enforced all the time. Especially if breaking a rule would result in a score being changed. If a player messes up then she/he should be penalized or at least warned that if the error takes place again then the player will be penalized, guaranteed. I recently played in a tourney in Atlanta and I turned my score in wrong, I was +2 but turned it in as a +4. This small score change didn't martter because I wouldn't have placed any higher, but the TD still stroked me for the incorrect score. I was not aware of this rule b/c it had never come up before. Now I am aware and everytime I turn in a scorecard I double and triple check my score.

Enforcing the rules is why we have a TD. Let him do his job and enforce the rules. Organized Sports are nothing without structure. All rules should apply to everyone and not just some.
December 04, 2002 01:15PM
Steve, at the last Tishomingo (Miss) event, several people were stroked for playing the wrong tee pad on a hole. My group avoided it luckily, but a bunch of folks received strokes, including the guy that eventually beat me for Advanced Masters! It's up to the players to follow the rules and the TD should always enforce them across the board, regardless of what the outcome could be. If I lose because of a mistake I made, I can't blame the TD for it, as long as he enforces all rules according to the PDGA. Russ C>
December 04, 2002 01:21PM
Thanks for the support guys. SNDG rocks!
vl
December 04, 2002 04:34PM
make sure and do not use a range finder to check your scores...

:^p
misterbogey
December 04, 2002 08:01PM
I need a friggin' calculator to check my score! ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013