Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Would you pay $1 to be rated?

Posted by Discjazz 
February 25, 2010 05:23PM
Some people pay more than that to be berated. (That might have been a stutter)

Anyway, the question is, would you pay $1 per event to be part of a ratings system for SNDG tournaments?

The ratings fee would be $1 deducted from each entry fee that would otherwise go to payout.
Re: Would you pay $1 to be rated?
February 25, 2010 05:30PM
yes

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
February 25, 2010 05:47PM
i would!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone always ask me how i throw far and the only answer is........... FORM!!!!!

2009 Junior World Champion
Team Innova
Team LsDiscs
February 25, 2010 05:48PM
Not a chance.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
February 25, 2010 05:55PM
why would we have to pay money to be rated just wondering

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone always ask me how i throw far and the only answer is........... FORM!!!!!

Team Innova
Team LsDiscs
February 25, 2010 06:00PM
I dont know either I tried to do it for free and no one wanted it. Now people are going to do it if it cost something?
February 25, 2010 06:37PM
Absolutely, positively, NO!!!!

Also, I will not TD a tournament and deduct $1/player for a ratings system.
February 25, 2010 06:46PM
We're in a sport where pros can hardly even make any money yet we are going to pay someone to do a ratings system?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
February 25, 2010 07:31PM
yea never mind i tack that back all i saw was rating system lol and we dont need to have money taken away from us the PDGA does that lol

Team Innova
Team LsDiscs
February 25, 2010 07:33PM
I just rated myself!!! Everybody pay me a dollar.Not a chance.But then again I would'nt pay !0.00 for a 2nd place plaque either.
February 25, 2010 08:32PM
Being rated, is overated. Just play!
February 25, 2010 08:58PM
uhhhhhh!!! depends on what im rated on.
February 25, 2010 09:54PM
To clarify for the questions asked:
Player scores would numerically quantify player skill and course difficulty making these comparable across all participating events and players. The ratings would actually be published timely and accessible for all to see. No BOD action or inaction can stop it. That is why some might be willing to pay for it.

My tally is:

Yes - 1
No - 7

and 1 in Depends.

Maybe there isn’t a dollar’s worth of baggin goin on.
February 26, 2010 06:23AM
cox3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're in a sport where pros can hardly even make
> any money yet we are going to pay someone to do a
> ratings system?

Casey, I think Kevin is asking so that more people could play OPEN if there rating indicated that.

Or we could get Keith to go find us another phoney sponsor ;o]~

February 26, 2010 06:43AM
yea why not
February 26, 2010 07:29AM
February 26, 2010 07:35AM
its a dollar you cheap asses, yes

so in ams, instead of the top 13 cashing in you have the top 11 cashing in

if you place that low you really dont deserve a cash in?

same thing with advanced, if you place 6th out of 14 players, do you really need to win something?

No sack it up and get better and watch the baggers advance, maybe you'll have a better shot a winning if they do
February 26, 2010 08:17AM
I agree with arthurpete word for word.
February 26, 2010 08:27AM
One thing to keep in mind is the current slush fund that is already existing. Could the fee come from there? Could it be a one time fee instead of a dollar per person. Maybe an entry to the SNPC or Snac for the person who works on this??

Kevin, I would be happy to pay 1 dollar.

February 26, 2010 08:37AM
arthurpete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its a dollar you cheap @#$%&, yes
>
Has absolutely nothing to do with being a cheap bastage. It has to do with the current models of ratings generally used by the mathmetician wannabes. When YOU can give me a rating based SOLELY on my play vs said course layout then I'll be for it but if you want to give me a rating based on both MY and everyone elses play then Im not for it and certainly wont pay for it..at the point you bring everyone else in on MY ratings it becomes a load of bull....and that's MY opinion.
February 26, 2010 09:25AM
I don't see how there could be a rating system based solely on one person's play. Maybe there is though. Any ideas Jabba? Please elaborate. I am not sure how that would work. It seems to me that you have to take into account what other people shoot to have the propagators needed to come up with the numbers. Without comparing what this rated player shot on a particular layout to a different rated player, how would you ever get a round rating?

I personally would have no problem paying $1 for a rating. I think it would be money well spent if it could establish a rating for all SN players, forcing these BAGGERS to move up when they reach a certain rating. Sounds like a solution to the BIG problem we've been talking about for some time. Even it does cost a little $$$....

My $0.02....

Tony B
February 26, 2010 09:41AM
It really comes down to a few players that might be playing in the wrong division. Someone had a good point about giving them a reason to move up.I challenge all TD and clubs to think about this and see what they come up with.Then tell everyone else if it is working or not.Check out the blue angel tournament in May and I will see what I can come up . Lip service is getting us no where. Couple ideas below.

#1 am play short tees -adv men should always play the same tees as open , so they can compare scores.
#2 SKY SOUTH will pay 2 extra spots in open with added funds.
#3 better flyers stating more info on what is really going on at the event.
#4 Have plenty staff so new players are taken care of.
#5 all ams will get a player pack of at least a disc worth $15.00
#6 Something nice to be throwed off for after the player meeting.
#7 i will call am master advance but they are still ams because we have no am master, they should play regular tees to. If they think they should play long tees, they need to play pro masters.it gets very confusing when telling tee assignment using the word adv. masters. Just my thought and nothing more.
#8 with that said i will pay one extra spot to pro master with raised fun
#9 I BETTER GET BUSY RAISING SPONSORS ,ANY $25 SPONSORS SPEAK UP PLEASE.
February 26, 2010 09:41AM
Like Tony said... you HAVE to compare it to others. Otherwise how do you factor in weather and conditions. Look at POG... you could rate the course as X but one year it will be howling wind, raining and cold and it would be a LOT tougher, the next year it could be clear as can be and actually easier than the rating might be (depending when it was rated)... because wind and such IS a factor in course difficulty.

Ratings that compare the AVERAGE of ALL other rated players on a course take this into effect. If all these guys played worse on average then there must have been something different going on.

Besides the simple things such as weather changes... what happens when you have different pin positions... look at the Rez... though I've never played it... doesn't it end up in an endless variety of layouts depending what baskets are where (not all in A or B position consistently). You must use propagators.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
February 26, 2010 10:27AM
Put another way
If you rated my -4 round at X rating because of what me and others did then the next round I shoot the same -4 it should be rated the same. BUT because what the OTHERS did or did not do during the round will/could/most likely will change MY rating. That doesnt seem right. I shot the same. MY rating should be the same. Want PROOF ???
All you do is have to look at the pDGA website pick a tourney, any tourney, and see it for yourself.
One person will have shot the same exact score from 1st round to 2nd round on the same exact layout and yet they magically have different round ratings. WTFE.
Until courses themselves can be rated.....ratings like these are useless because they show NO bearing on what the INDIVIDUAL has done vs. the course. Only shows what the collective has done with an average.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
February 26, 2010 10:44AM
Well, I'm sure we all can agree that conditions can definitely vary a LOT from round to round... again POG being case in point.

If the collective group played worse then the logic is there must have been some outside factor as the law of averages says that it *should* remain constant.

February 26, 2010 10:51AM
No.

Gary Wagoner
February 26, 2010 10:57AM
No.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
February 26, 2010 12:22PM
No. I already have a rating through that other organization. Besides, It was offered for free.

rWc3523
February 26, 2010 12:28PM
Not for free. You pay to be a part of that organization whether it be in membership or $10 fee every time you play an event if you are not a member.
February 26, 2010 12:28PM
And you pay a LOT more than a dollar for that rating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013