Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

27th Annual Spring Fling-It - March 20-21 - Florence, AL

Posted by will2003 
27th Annual Spring Fling-It - March 20-21 - Florence, AL
March 02, 2010 08:30PM
The Shoals Frisbee Club presents…

The 27th Annual
Spring Fling-It
March 20-21

Lakeside Disc Golf course
McFarland Park Disc Golf Course

A PDGA C-Tier Event,
Southern Nationals Qualifier

Open, Open Women, Master, Grandmaster: $55
Advanced, Adv. Master & Grandmaster: $40
Intermediate, Int. Women: $30
Recreational, Novice: $25
(current PDGA Members receive a $5 Discount)

Three rounds of 18 holes*
All PRO Divisions:
McFarland Blue, Lakeside (Veterans Park) & McFarland Gold.
All AMATEUR Divisions:
Lakeside twice (Pins will Move) & McFarland Blue.
*There will be a cumulative final 9 at McFarland Park for the top 50 % in each division.
(Field limited to 180 players; Am field limited to 90)

For more information: Russ Corey: (256) 764-4539 or tdwriter@comcast.net.

am Players Pack TBD

Pre-Register at [www.sdsproshop.com]
Pre-Registered List [www.pdga.com]

-will

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 11:58AM by will2003.
Re: 27th Annual Spring Fling-It - March 20-21 - Florence, AL
March 02, 2010 08:58PM
But wait! There's more!

Name of event: 27th Annual Spring Fling-It

Dates of competition: Saturday March 20 and Sunday March 21

Anticipated Attendance: 120 (with two courses we can accommodate 180 players (90 x 5 players per hole) but last year we had 88 amateurs and 22 pros, which is why this year's am field will be capped at 90.

Course Locations: Lakeside Disc Golf Course at Veterans Memorial Park, and McFarland Park Disc Golf Course, McFarland Park, Florence, Ala.

Tournament Director: Russ and Beth Corey

Disclaimer: Masculine pronouns used in this write-up such as “him”, “he” or “his” are interchangeable with corresponding feminine pronouns such as “her”, “she” or “hers” unless used in association with a gender specific topic.

Qualifiers: Southern National Pro & Amateur. Professional Disc Golf Association and Yellowhammer Tour Series (Alabama)

Park Regulations: Veterans Memorial Park and McFarland Park are Florence city parks and the consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. Violators are subject to immediate disqualification by the TD and arrest and/or fines by park rangers.

Friday Doubles: Occasionally there is an informal flip-up doubles tournament at Veterans Park, but this year it could happen at both courses, if there are people willing to run them. I'd put my money on McFarland. More on that closer to tournament time. Tee times and entry fees will be based upon the whims of the assembled throng, i.e., the players.

DIVISIONS, REGISTRATION FEES AND FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS

Divisions and Entry Fees:
Pro Open: $55
Pro Women Open: $55
Pro Master (age 40* & older): $55
Pro Grandmaster (age 50* & older): $55
Amateur Advanced: $40
Amateur Advanced Master (age 40* & older): $40
Amateur Advanced Grandmaster (age 50* & older): $40
Amateur Master (age 40* & older): $40
Amateur: $30
Amateur Women: $30
Recreational & Novice: $25

*If you reach the threshold age prior to 12/31/2010 you are eligible to play in the age protected division.

If three or more players wish to create a division, this will be allowed with fees determined by the TD and the deductions as stipulated below. However, there will be no trophies awarded to any ad hoc divisions. We are discouraging Juniors at this event because of the difficulty associated with the McFarland Park course.

Please note that the Women’s fees are the same as the Men’s fees for a corresponding division. Added cash, if any, will be distributed among the divisions based on the percentage of players…

Payout Deductions: The following expenses will be deducted from the entry fees:

o 5 PDGA non-member fee (normally $10 but we have a Competition Endowment Grant)
o $2 Professional Disc Golf Association
o $2 Southern Nationals Disc Golf Tournament Series
o $1 Yellowhammer State Tour
o Printing (fliers, scorecards, leader board cards, etc.)
o Misc. expenses (golf pencils, sharpie markers, baggies, etc.)

• Plaques / Trophies (deducted from each division)
• Players Packages (deducted from Amateur field)

The rest of the entry fees will go to the purses/prizes of the respective divisions less deductions as specified above.

Sponsorship money TBD will first be allocated to purses of the Pro Divisions allocated per player in proportion to the entry fee of the division in which the player competes. The basic concept is that players paying a larger entry fee will get a larger proportion of the sponsorship money. However, a sponsor may stipulate the division in which his money is to be placed.

Sponsorships: To sponsor a hole is $20. Sponsorship money is generally encouraged and gratefully accepted and should be sent to Russ Corey, payable to the Shoals Frisbee Club, 314 Nottingham Road, Florence, AL, 35633.. The objectives of this tournament are to have fun and determine the best players for the various divisions rather than trying to achieve record payouts. If players want money added to their divisions/payout, then they should assist the club in raising funds through local sponsors or sponsor a hole themselves. Do not depend on a handful of tournament organizers to do all the work. Tournament sponsors will receive a sign with their name/logo on a tee pad at one of the two courses.

Pre-registration: Pre-registration is strongly encouraged. Send Check or Money Order payable to the Shoals Frisbee Club, care of Russ Corey, 314 Nottingham Road, Florence, AL, 35633. Please print legibly and include the following information with your registration:
• Your Name
• Your Division
• Your Entry Fee

You may also register online through Solstice Disc Sports (with a small convenience fee) at eatsleepdisc.com.

If you wait until a few days before the tournament to mail in your entry fee, be prepared to pay for it again with cash when you check in with the TD. If Russ has not received your check by noon Friday, March 19, you are not pre-registered. When the TD gets back home and finds your check lying on the counter after the tournament is over, he will shred it and notify the sender that he has done so.

Note: even if you have pre-registered, you must check in with the TD Friday afternoon, evening or Saturday morning to fill out your leader board card, sign the Waiver of Liability form and, if you wish, enter the ace pots. Please register with the name you are going to check in with which will also be the name reported to the SNDG and PDGA. If you register as William Smith and check in as Long-arm Bill there is a high probability of something getting screwed up. The name you register with will be the one turned in to the SNDG. If you change your mind on what your name is or how you spell it the TD doesn’t want to hear about it. You can work it out with your favorite SN board member through sndg.org.

Registration: Friday March 19 at the Veterans Park Disc Golf Course or McFarland Park Disc Golf Course. Personal checks will be accepted, but cash is preferred. Debit cards, credit cards, food stamps or WIC vouchers accepted. Do not be offended or argue if the TD asks you to spell your name, It will keep someone from having to change it on the SN player stats page later on. Please register as quickly and efficiently as possible without joking around, shooting the bull or asking the TD a bunch of foolish questions.

Online Registration: Online registration through Solstice Disc Sports will be available beginning any day now at eatsleepdisc.com. This option carries a nominal fee, but it gets you registered early and will likely ensure that you will receive a players’ package. It also makes it easier on the TD, who has plenty of other things to deal with.

The Leaderboard cards will be laid out on the table in front of the TD. Select the card in the division in which you will play and hand it to the TD. One person at the time, please. Do not write your name on the card, the TD will do that. This procedure will make it impossible for the TD to put someone in the wrong division and insure that the names on the Leaderboard cards are legible. Experience has shown that if players write their own names at least 5% of the cards will be indecipherable.

Late Registration: Saturday March 20, 8 a.m.- 9 a.m. at Shelter #1 at Veterans Memorial Park. It’s the shelter closest to the disc golf course, the ones we’ve used for the past 26 years. Players' meeting tentatively scheduled for 9:15 a.m., but that depends no how many people disregard the suggestion below.

PLEASE, DO NOT PRACTICE AND TRY TO REGISTER FIVE MINUTES BEFORE REGISTRATION CLOSES. THIS JUST SLOWS DOWN THE PROCESS AND PUTS THE ENTIRE EVENT BEHIND SCHEDULE. REGISTER FIRST, THEN PRACTICE!!

If you are not registered by 8:30 a.m. you will not play. The TD will not delay the start of the player’s meeting and subsequent tee times because someone overslept, gotten lost, hung over, stopped for breakfast or ran out of gas. It NEVER hurts to call the tournament director and make sure that the event hasn’t filled up or is close to filling up before you make it here Saturday morning. Call my cell at 256-648-1207, but I still won't delay the event, sorry.

Players Package: Only the first 90 Amateur competitors registered will receive a Players Package which will consist of, at a minimum, a professional quality golf disc from a major manufacturer. Additional items may be added at the sole discretion of the TD. If you are an Am and want to be guaranteed a Players Package then you had best be signed early. Then again, the field is capped at 90.

Mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers: Both parks are located on or near the Tennessee River. You can expect mosquitoes at both parks, but they tend to be more plentiful at McFarland Park due to the amount of standing water. Everyone should bring mosquito repellant and apply it liberally to all exposed skin areas, belt lines and shoes. You’ll be glad you did. Ticks and chiggers have also been known to hop a ride on unsuspecting golfers who end up in the woods searching for lost disc.

More to come....
March 02, 2010 09:09PM
YAH!!! Online registration :) Fits my budget.

Wouldn't miss this one, and can't wait to play the new course!!!

Leslie
March 03, 2010 09:40AM
Memphis in da houuuse! I think this will be the 6th in a row for me. Come on nice camping and golfing weather!

It's a good thing I've been saving up my food stamps, never been able to use them at a tournament before.
March 03, 2010 07:10PM
Thomas, my editing skills are lacking. You'll have to use your food stamps at the Walmart. ;-)

The last six baskets are in the ground!! There are now 18 permanent baskets at McFarland Park.

Everyone just pray that it doesn't rain heavily between now and then.

Online registration at eatsleepdisc.com should be up in a day or so.

I'm working on players pack discs. More on that when I hear something.

Y'all come!

rWc3523
March 03, 2010 10:23PM

Hole 10 blue

Hole 11 blue
March 07, 2010 10:08PM
Just 13 days left!

I guess this will be on eatsleepdisc.com soon?

Can't wait, hope everybody had fun at Tish, I got to do chores all weekend.
March 08, 2010 08:08AM
Still looking for it on eatsleepdisc.com???

Thanks!
March 08, 2010 08:13AM
I thought Chris was working on it last night. rWc3523
March 08, 2010 08:16AM
I am looking forward to this one. I need to play the course at McFarland Park. Are there any signs up to help you get around or is it fairly easy to navigate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 08:20AM by BullHubbs.
March 08, 2010 10:16AM
BJ, If you want to sign up, just find me or my dad around the course, we can do it that way (if you have cash/check).

Chris, I can show you around McFarland (if my schedule permits)

Its not too hard to follow, the tees are marked by bright orange sticks, so you can se them from a pretty good distance. They have the hole number+distance.

-will
March 08, 2010 07:51PM
Pre-Register now at [www.sdsproshop.com]

-will
March 08, 2010 10:06PM
Neato, I'm in. It required a PDGA number to continue even though I selected that I was not a member, so I put in Ken Climo's number.

Not really.

Can't wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 10:06PM by BJKavanaugh.
RD
March 09, 2010 11:30AM
Just signed up, Looking forward to my first spring fling it, and playing the new course as well.

If I read the info above correctly ,then i understand everyone will check in @ shelter #1 @ Veterans right?
March 09, 2010 11:58AM
RD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I read the info above correctly ,then i
> understand everyone will check in @ shelter #1 @
> Veterans right?

The Players meeting/late checkin-signup is Sat Morning at Shelter #1 at Veterans.

We will have check-in on Friday, most likely at both courses.

-will
March 10, 2010 03:04PM
Probably won't be able to sign up until Friday but count in Travis Klutts (Adv.), Nick Klutts (Adv/Pro), and Thomas Dougherty (Adv), all from Memphis.
March 10, 2010 03:11PM
The way too early forecast shows mostly sunny and 63 on Friday.
March 11, 2010 07:33AM
Way too early updated forecast

Thursday - Sunny - 0% chance of rain - Hi 63 - Lo 39
Friday - Cloudy - 30% chance of rain - Hi 64 - Lo 42
Saturday - Mostly Sunny - 10% chance or rain - Hi 65 - Lo 40

Looking good so far! Too wet or too cold makes unhappy campers
March 11, 2010 11:26AM
for a list of paid preregistrations.. check [www.pdga.com]

-will
March 11, 2010 12:20PM
Look at that Huntsville turnout!

I've gotten several calls from Memphis folks, too!

Just picked up a nice little tournament sponsorship today, $250 from Florence-Lauderdale Tourism.

We can use some sponsor $$ if anyone wants to help out.

Thanks, rWc3523
March 11, 2010 02:25PM
Oh, did I mention, the first 90 Amateur entrants (any Intermediate, Advanced, Rec, Novice, etc) will receive a custom stamped Discraft ESP Nuke golf disc. The Nuke is Discraft's newest long distance driver!

The design is loosely based on Hole #17 at McFarland Park.

rWc3523
March 11, 2010 09:12PM
Just signed up tonight. Can't wait for this one!

Hoping to get over this next week to play McFarland :)

See ya'll soon,
Leslie
March 11, 2010 09:20PM
Thanks Leslie. You really don't want to play it blind! ;-)

rWc3523
March 14, 2010 11:24AM
Three day of rain has put a LOT of h2o on the Ground and River Flood is still a possible; So we Might Need an Alt Plan. With low Prereg Straight 18 Might work, if not we'll need Alt Baskets for the 24!!!
March 14, 2010 12:28PM
We can always run 3 rounds of 24 at Veterans. Hate to do it, but we'll do what we must.

rWc3523
jcb
March 14, 2010 08:03PM
I don't see flooding being an issue according to the what lake levels they are predicting through tva. There may be some standing water due to heavy rains though. May not be an issue at all really.
March 14, 2010 11:06PM
I won't make this one, but getting ESP Nukes for the custom stamped disc is SWEET!

Nice choice...

Have fun everyone...
March 14, 2010 11:12PM
Can we see these Nukes.....I shoot up a hole sponsor for one of those.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
Lex
March 14, 2010 11:56PM
I am going to try my dangest to make this one.

225-268-9315
March 15, 2010 12:53AM
Come to the biggest regular event in Alabama outside of Mobile

had 110 last year, and that was on 1 course!

2 now means more people and more fun

-will
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013