Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A new dic golf community.... please read for more info

Posted by "JC" jose cuervo 
A new dic golf community.... please read for more info
June 17, 2011 08:26AM
Tommy Browning is trying to get a new DG course and high school club started on the school land at Mary G. Montgomery High School and needs some "community" support... you can read more about his plans and ideas on the facebook page he has set up, please go to S.H.O.T.D.G.A. on facebook and "like" the page.. this would be a great program for all of us to come together and support.. thanks in advance for taking the time to give this a look...

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
Re: A new dic golf community.... please read for more info
June 17, 2011 10:47AM
i spoke with Enis Proctor(director of the MHSAA) last year and he told me what we would have to do to get disc golf put in as a sport in mississippi high school. He said the first step would be to talk to the atheletic directors of your respective schools and have them bring it up at the athletic director meetings. so if you know any of the atheletic directors in your area lets see if we can get this going...having disc golf as a recognized sport by your state would be a huge step in increasing disc golf. I am sure there are many coaches that play and would coach as a volunteer...I know i would.
June 19, 2011 06:44PM
Thanks for the shout out JC! Yes. We are very much trying to get a group of interested golfers organized to create a course in the Semmes (Far West Mobile County) area. Justin Dyess and I met about a month ago at a Baker high school work day. After discussion, we discovered we both have a similar goal. Bring disc golf to our Semmes community. We even had our eye on the same plot of land. After our initial walk, however we discovered a lot more potential than we really could have imagined. There are acres and acres of hilly, forested, and non-forested land.

Secondly, I am a teacher and would like to sponsor Mobile County's second disc golf club at Mary G. Montgomery high school. This would create an opponent for the clubs at Baker high. The rumor is that there is a group in Satsuma setting up a course. With enough interest in Satsuma, we could potentially have 3 club teams as early as next year if we plan a season for spring. I played soccer in the 80's when it was just a club sport and unsanctioned by the state. The best way to get disc golf sanctioned is to get it organized and working with little or no financial burden to the school system. That's what happened with soccer. I helped found the soccer team at Theodore High School in 1986. By 1992, it was a state sanctioned sport. I believe that the same can happen with our sport.

First things first though. We have to get a group of interested folks from the disc golf community and the Semmes community to embrace this project. One way to do that is mentioned above by JC. Please go to the SHOTDGA facebook page and like. This will keep you abreast of the latest news and events. Also, we are going to use this as something of a petition when we approach the powers that be about usage of the land for disc golf. It will be a lot more convincing when we can demonstrate that we have 50 to 100 people who are backing us on this project either in spirit or in earnest with contributions in the form of work, knowledge, planning, or financing.
BUD
June 20, 2011 09:36PM
DGA is giving away a "Dream Course" to a worthy community - info at DGA or on the home page of the PDGA... good luck. bud5996
June 21, 2011 10:21AM
Hey Tommy,

My name is Patrick Barnes (peanut butter) or pb. I live close to MGM and my kids play soccer out at the fields next to MGM. I would be glad to help out on the course. I will go check out the Facebook page and get the word out. I would love a discgolf course out in Semmes!!!! Let me know if there is something I might be able to do. My phone number is 251.459.2234. Hopefully it will work out.

Patrick
June 21, 2011 01:32PM
Our BHS crew will help out in any way possible. The competition would be a good thing. It would be great to have some!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
June 22, 2011 10:00AM
Hey guys. Thanks for the input. Justin Dyess suggested a Saturday meet and greet and walk through on July 9. So, we will be looking forward to that and keeping you posted. Thanks Patrick. We look forward to meeting you. It is nice to see we have so many neighbors who love this sport and ready to help.

Thanks Bud. I will check into that contest. I think Semmes has a lot of potential. Especially, when they know that we will be using this course to help develop a varsity league in our area.

Tolbert. Can't thank you enough. Justin (and maybe I) will be at the Baker toss this week.
June 22, 2011 10:05AM
By the way, I looked into getting disc golf approved through the AHSAA. It seems pretty easy to get a non-championship sport approved. The only problem I see is that we would have to declare a season time.

The steps for a school to follow:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
June 22, 2011 10:10AM
I would most definitely use this course and assist in any way that I can.
June 22, 2011 10:57AM
I hope to make the "walk through" on july 9th, it will depend on how Sheila is doing with the new hip & rehab at that time...
To-Bo, i hope to see ya at the Baker toss thursday night...

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
BUD
June 22, 2011 11:10AM
T/Max - From what I read,you guys are perfect for what they want -- don't wait , get er done. bud5996
June 22, 2011 11:46AM
Sorry, my list from the Alabama High School Athletic Association didn't come through. If we can meet these requirements, then we can get Disc Golf started as a non-championship sport through the AHSAA. Once it gets up and running, we can then move to it being a championship sport.

The steps for a school to follow:
--Declare the sport on its sports declaration form (it will be re-designed to include emerging sports). Deadline for submitting the online form is May 1.
--Follow all AHSAA eligibility rules and regulations and provide facilities for practice and games. Submit participating students to the school

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
June 28, 2011 04:35AM
i will not be able to make the walk through on july 9th due to a change in my work schedule for the next 4 weeks having to cover a lot of overtime.. please keep us posted on how this goes and what we can do to help.. thanks

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
June 28, 2011 06:28PM
Will do JC. Thanks for your interest and support.
July 06, 2011 02:47PM
Our first Semmes Disc Golf Association meeting will be this Saturday. More to come. Thanks. - Tommy
July 06, 2011 03:22PM
Hey,

What time is the walk thru on Saturday?

peanut butter
July 07, 2011 07:33AM
9am on Saturday at the Community Center. If anyone doesn't know how to get there, you head west on Moffett and it is about a 1/4 mile past Snow road on the left.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
July 07, 2011 03:04PM
i'll be there

BMB
July 08, 2011 10:41AM
Thanks!!!!
BUD
July 08, 2011 11:13AM
I think that I might have something for you guys!!!! A group at a local middle school bought a set of baskets to install on campus- the school board sold some of the land they planned to use- it seems like a match made in Heaven , your land AND their baskets and both schools... call me Te Bo Max (you brother says that was your MC / DJ handle from childhood- too funny) -- bud 479-0126

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2011 11:14AM by BUD.
July 08, 2011 11:20AM
Sounds great. Which middle school?

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013