Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Doubles Championship Qualification - The Real Deal

Posted by Discjazz 
Doubles Championship Qualification - The Real Deal
July 01, 2011 07:23PM
I keep getting questions from my DG friends about whether they can play in the 2011 SNDC. No I don't know why people ask me rules questions because I am just a reader. I asked what the rules are in a thread and after a lengthy discussion the thread got moved to private. The most accurate answer I can give is I don't know. I do not recommend reading the written rules on the subject because the TD and several BOD members have said they do not apply. They say the rules that apply are the ones a prior BOD meant to write but did not.

Based on discussions only, there are 4 ways to qualify for the 2011 SNDC:

1. You have SN points of any kind for an event held between 06/01/2010 and 05/31/2011 (which you should have if you played a singles event in any divisions other than Novice/Recreational or Junior). You are still qualified even if you did not finish the event as long as you finished one (1) full round (because that is all it takes to get points).

2. You played in a SN Doubles event between 06/01/2010 and 05/31/2011. It is not clear whether you have to have finished the event or even one (1) full round of it but my pure guess is that you must have finished at least one (1) full round.

3. You played in a SN event between 06/01/2010 and 05/31/2011 in either the Novice/Recreational or Junior divisions. You cannot however sign up until the last 2 weeks before the event and if it is full by then, too bad you cannot play. Again it is not clear whether you have to have finished the event or even one (1) full round of it but my pure guess is that you must have finished at least one (1) full round.

4. You obtain a sponsorship exemption by paying an extra $400 (sorry if I misinformed anybody but it was $200 before 09/15/2010), but even then admission is up to the discretion of the TD, and he is authorized to deny you specifically if you are known to be of Pro caliber, and you can only do this every other year regardless.

If you want to waste your time reading the discussion that lead me to these conclusions but don't have access to the private section you can read the discussion here:

[www.kevindlewis.com]

I have also proposed revised qualification rules for the SNDC for next year that you can read here:

[www.sndg.org]

This is really all I know about it, if that. My disc golfing buddies are plenty important enough to me to have spent this time in an exercise in futility. No I am not running for anything or criticizing anyone. Feel free to criticize me at will but you won't be the first or last.
Re: Doubles Championship Qualification - The Real Deal
July 01, 2011 09:27PM
Sounds like you got it Kevin.

Thanks for helping everyone get it all straight and clear.

Seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
July 01, 2011 09:36PM
Can I still run against Mikey for Rules Oracle?
July 01, 2011 10:07PM
That might be like when there was on 2 people running for 3(4) seats. ;)

Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
Anonymous User
July 02, 2011 01:11PM
Good one Kevin! I also love that .pdf file name you have there. Ah, subtle comedy, so lost on the SN...

Now, about that Rules Oracle question. You may definitely run, but the true Rules Oracle knows that SN "guidelines" are a pitiful counterfeit version of useful, understandable rules. The true Rules Oracle dismisses SN guidelines as cheap substitutes for hard-earned knowledge. The path to true rules wisdom lies not in the SN.

THE RULES ORACLE HAS SPOKEN
July 05, 2011 09:55AM
Ok so I read today (not sure how long it has been up) that "Team Members must have Southern National Points to qualify for the Tournament."

[www.jacksondiscgolf.org]
July 07, 2011 10:01AM
Kevin,
Here's another issue that I've seen. If you read the sponsorship exemption in line 17 of the guidelines, it references the BoD meeting from 9/15/10 for the vote. If you go back to the minutes from 9/15/10, we only voted to raise the SNAC exemption, not the SNDC. I believe Josh erroneously added the exemption to the SNDC guidelines.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
July 07, 2011 11:16AM
Good catch Justin. Of course the rule I proposed only refers to G-17 so it would still be good, if G-17 is fixed. If not I can amend the proposal to eliminate G-17 too and make it part of the new proposed rule. The lingering issue for fixing the SNDC rule for next year is whether Novice play qualifies for any offered division (what divisions are offered at the SNDC need not be part of the rule). The proposed rule also does not fix the problem of notifying players that Novice players don't get points (but Juniors do even without fees) but that needs to be fixed in H-2.*.
July 07, 2011 01:12PM
There is still a deeper, underlying issue with G-17. We need to determine what the exemption actually was before it was edited in the thead. I'm not certain that it was even $200, or if an exemption even existed for the SNDC.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013