Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

5th Annual New Orleans Doubles Championships July 23

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Re: 5th Annual New Orleans Doubles Championships July 23
July 19, 2011 03:04PM
NO Team would like to thank our generous sponsor SED Services for the latest fun twist of the 5th Annual NO Doubles!

SED Services is offering a cool crisp $100 bill for the first ace on Hole 12!

Thanks again to Mike Carbo for the generosity, and all our other fine original hole sponsors (the ones who got us the new Mach 5s & tee signs out there):

Kevin Boudreaux
Cameron Boudreaux
Mark Laborde
Dangerous Don Perkins
Rob Williams
Uptown Dirty Ratz
Uncle Karl Helwick
Phillip Murray
Jacques Giraud
Jason Kimbell
SED Services
Mike Kernan
July 19, 2011 04:08PM
Just go ahead and put bill mcmillan/andrew montgomery and derek drew/ryan hinton on the list, im sure theyll pay the day of
Anonymous User
July 19, 2011 09:00PM

Your wish has been granted sir Cameron.

Use your other two wishes more wisely. May I suggest getting your partner some game? Or perhaps to make him thinner so he won't be as much weight to cart around the course?
July 19, 2011 10:28PM
cam32092 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just go ahead and put bill mcmillan/andrew
> montgomery and derek drew/ryan hinton on the list,
> im sure theyll pay the day of

Our check is in the mail...andrew and bill will be there.Count us in for sure.
July 20, 2011 01:55AM
Hopefully I won't be to heavy? I have a strong back & so does he. So how much you want to play for Kerndog? $100 extra? $100 per round? & overall? $100+$100+$100??? Put your money where your mouth is big dog!
July 20, 2011 01:56AM
Eddie is the best career ADVANCED player I know.
July 20, 2011 08:06AM
DING DING DING! I want a good clean fight...no blows below the belt.When the horn blows give dap and let the discs fly! LETS GET IT ON!
July 20, 2011 08:37AM
BERNIE Wrote:
> Eddie is the best career ADVANCED player I know.

LOL

"You are truly one miserable human being."
Alxtgr
July 20, 2011 08:50AM
I got 5 on Kernan
July 20, 2011 09:11AM
If there is still room, put Nolan and Erin Greenwood down for the mixed doubles. I can pay the day of, or paypal. I would like to make sure there is room before we pay.
July 20, 2011 09:36AM
ohSteveoh. I bet you five on that bet?
July 20, 2011 09:45AM
Done
July 20, 2011 09:50AM
Mikey will you be out at the course this afternoon? I got cash for team Walsdorf aka Team Po Bird.
July 20, 2011 09:52AM
Mike,
Payment sent via Paypal. Scratch my earlier question regarding registration. Looking forward to it!
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 10:50AM
Good news, the park gave us permission to add up to 3 holes, so that gives us room for 9 more teams...which isn't really much more room at all, so please contact me if you are from out of town before driving to New Orleans if you haven't registered. There is a tournament in Fort Walton Saturday if you don't get in to ours!

The park also said they would have the grass cut by Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed...
July 20, 2011 11:00AM
Good morning guys.
My schedule opened up this weekend and I was wondering if any Grandmasters might be looking for a partner. Holla back ASAP.

Dale
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 11:00AM
Bernie I would love to beat your team with Advanced For Life Eddie on my team but I will just be officiating and heckling.

Jay, I will let you know if I am going to the park today, might be making the run to Sams Club today though. I will definitely be out there Thursday & Friday afternoon though.
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 11:25AM
Also give a round of applause to our latest hole sponsor, Donovan Boudreaux!

Thanks for getting us closer to our goal of paying the yearly rent!

And I would also like to thank Innova-Champion Discs for their generous sponsorship as well. They are disc golf's biggest sponsor year after year... Thanks Innova!
July 20, 2011 03:27PM
One of Nola's finest bartenders, Miss Angelina at Checkpoint Charlies
just ponied up 30 for a hole sponsorship as well! Thanks! Got yer dough Kernan
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 05:07PM
I may have to hand deliver that sponsor disc to Miss Angelina...wow Steve Oh I had no idea you had such charm with the ladies LOL

Peanut Butter, got your check from Mobile today, one more Master team is in. Two day delivery from Mobile for 44 cents. What a bargain. Spread the word over there would ya for the next tournament?

NO Team thanks our latest sponsors: Kevin Boudreaux, and Jennifer Dhir! We thank you for supporting disc golf in City Park. Without people like you there would be no pretty holes like Hole 15:

July 20, 2011 08:37PM
Mike, why on earth does the New Orleans parks department make yall pay $2000 to rent a space in the park? That seems absurd. Is it not their job to provide activities for the community?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
July 20, 2011 08:54PM
Its called budget cuts? Casey u have any wizards for sell? If you do please bring some, mainly the firm ones.
Thankyou
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 09:03PM
It's not much different than charging a greens fee if you think about it Casey. The deal the disc golfers have with the park is actually quite beneficial to us. If you think about how much it would really cost for disc golfers to buy or rent approximately 10 acres in the middle of New Orleans, we're way ahead.

New Orleans City Park doesn't have much of a dedicated stream of tax revenue to support it. Before Katrina hit, City Park's operating budget was funded 90% from the ball golf greens fees from the three golf courses that were there before! After Katrina obliterated the ball golf courses, the park lost a huge revenue stream, and although they now get some revenue from the state, it's on a year-to-year basis and can be gone at any time. So the thing is, the park is starved for revenue. We were able to get into the park based on the tiny bit of revenue we provide through the $2000 fee and the $250 tournament fees. I think the park will be making $1500 off of that for six tournaments this year out there.

This event is just one way we can raise the funds. I am working on getting our club officially recognized by the state of Louisiana and the IRS so that we can open a bank account and really get things cranked up. I kinda got a little busier with this tournament than I thought I would but I will get the club officially started by the SNAC I am almost certain.
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 09:21PM
And now here's the Wednesday night update. Registration closes tomorrow, as soon as the last 9 teams pay. If you haven't made arrangements, email me at underparmike@yahoo.com and I'll see what I can do (sponsors get first priority & hole sponsors are still available). After that I will start a waiting list in case there are one or two dropouts.

Mixed Doubles (4)
Chris Raff/Emily Gootee
Dee Lafaye/Kristy Lafaye
Joshua Long/Bethany Coan
Nolan Greenwood/Erin Greenwood

Novice (4)
Danny Morris/Jim Morris
Robert Cormican/Andrew Sanford
Michael Buchert/Daymon Gardner
Jeff Melson/Mike Vitale

Intermediate Am (18)
Royden Peabody/Larry Leblanc
Dylan Schultz/Thunder Schultz
Alan Kansas/Louie Rosencrans
Bob Riedel/Steve Oh
Josh Edwards/Jason Kimbell
Rocky Curl/Greg Phillips
Matt C. Kientz/Gator Kientz
David Resendez/Eddie Villafuerte
Roy Farmer/Mickey Daigrepont
Johnny Crosby/Andrew Crosby
Scott Vidrine/Bob Bwana
Nick Rappazini/Matt Bush
David Tillinghast/Nick Bedford
Nick Simon/Scott Comeaux
Nate Batts/Frank Ben
Marcus Duhon/Corey Parker
Harrison Gordon/Stephen Joubert
Barry Stringer/Mike Carbo

Advanced Masters (4)
Mark Laborde/Dave Williamson
Keith Bodin/Pat Fisher
Deano Van Ness/James Jeamans
Eddie Roser/Mark Damare

Advanced Am (8)
James Wood/Andy Gray
Joe Burback/Jason Volo
Ben Fox/Dustin Ridener
Phillip Murray/Jamie Massengale
Robbie Roger/Brady Reaux
Donovan Boudreaux/Britt Juergens
Derek Drew/Ryan Hinton
Andrew Montgomery/Bill McMillan

Grandmasters (6)
Rick Wallen/Jet Towns
Steve Swiler/Steve Timm
Don Perkins/Mike Sidebottom
Dex Braud/Jim Blansett
Charlie Stephens/Karl Helwick
Dave Ferguson/Paul Vogel

Masters (4)
Shane Seal/Kevin Weiss
Ronnie Adams/Stephen Harrison
Brad Wells/Jon Fox
Bill Tyler/Pat Barnes

Open (6)
Logan Weiss/John Fowler
Casey Cox/Josh Patin
Adam Walsdorf/Jay Walsdorf
Rivers Sherrod/Stephen Zito
Bernie Sawyer/Cameron Colglazier
Ricky Martin/Scott Garner

Hole Sponsors (29 so far--at least 4 still available)
Checkpoint Charlie's (corner of Esplanade and Decatur---please drop in after the tournament!)
Jennifer Dhir
Kevin "Whameaux" Boudreaux
Donovan "Flambeaux" Boudreaux
AA Pool Service
Markel Lumber
Zack Paal
Cat 5 Composites LLC
2011 Vibram Open
Aboriginal Discs 504-616-5021
Grandmasters Are Awesome
Hooters
2012 Hooters Calendar
Past Hooters International Swimsuit Pageant Winners [www.hooters.com]
Domino's Pizza
Quality P
Bryan Griffin
Dangerous Don
OB Don Cannot B
Don Perkins "Savior of the SNAC"
Don Perkins & Wolverine
Brad Wells Topwater Fishing Guide
Brad Wells Charm School
Jet Towns
La Cote DGC
Baton Rouge Aardvarks
Crosstown Traffic Tournament Series
The 1st Amendment
SED Services
The Joint BBQ

Current Payout Tables
Open:
1st $300 + 2 plaques
2nd $180
Masters:
1st $240 +2 plaques
2nd $ 80
Grandmasters: (Big Brown says we're paying 3rd place in GM)
1st $240 +2 plaques
2nd $160
3rd $80

Almost forgot to mention our new lunch sponsor, THE JOINT BBQ in the BYWATER! 801 Poland Street : [www.alwayssmokin.com]

Thanks to THE JOINT we'll have 10 pounds of pulled BBQ pork for your dining pleasure at lunch! Add that to 500 Hooters wings and 20 Domino's Pizzas and I think we'll have enough for everyone. If we don't, well, we tried.

Please BRING YOUR OWN BEVERAGES! BYOB! We'll have a lot of water at various places around the course but it's gonna be hot and crowded on the course. Please be patient, courteous, and kind with that groovy New Awlins vibe and it'll be all good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 09:46PM by Bluff Magee.
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 10:32PM
And now, a word from the Rules Oracle.

What is OB for this tournament? Well I'm glad you asked.

First, the easy kind of OB to explain: On or across all concrete sidewalks and roads is OB. There will be a couple of orange lines painted on Hole 1 and Hole 7 that also mark OB (basically filling in where the sidewalk is missing). If both players on a team happen to go OB on the same throw, you will play the next shot from wherever the best disc was last in-bounds. There is gravel on Hole 1 and 18, and 18 even has some asphalt across the fairway, but that will all be played as IN-BOUNDS (gravel good, concrete bad).

The 2-meter rule will not be in effect. That means if your disc is stuck in a tree over 2m high, you can play your next shot from directly below on the ground with no penalty stroke.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for a "new" OB concept (new to some players that is), in regards to the lagoon on Hole 1,2,11,12,13,16,and 18:

Any disc that is partially submerged, but touching ANY vegetation at all, will be considered to be IN-BOUNDS. For example:

This disc is partially submerged. Although if you pushed down on the disc it would be completely wet, since it is only partially submerged but still touching the high grass on the shoreline, it will be ruled IN-BOUNDS on Saturday.

Play your next shot from one meter in from where the vegetation meets the water. If that lie is too wet to stand and play the next shot, the disc will be declared OB.

Just to refresh your memory, here is pDGA rule 803.09 in regards to OB---you will notice that the above definition of the Lagoon OB does indeed conform to the pDGA Rules of Play:

803.09 Out-of-Bounds

A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and
completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be
at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the
water. See section 803.03 F. The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of --bounds. In order to
consider the disc as out-of bounds, there must be reasonable evidence that the disc came to rest within the out-of-bounds area. In the absence of such evidence, the disc will be considered lost and the player will proceed according to rule 803.11B.

B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the
lie closer to the hole; or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).

C. The Rule of Verticality. The out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane. Where a player's
lie is marked from a particular point within one meter of the out-of-bounds line pursuant to
the rules, the one-meter relief may be taken from the particular point upward or downward along
the vertical plane.

D. If the in-bounds status of a disc is uncertain, either a majority of the group or an
official shall make the determination. If the thrower moves the disc before a determination has
been made, the disc shall be considered out-of-bounds, and he or she shall proceed in
accordance with 803.09 B counting all throws made prior to the determination of the in-bounds status of the original lie. If a player other than the thrower moves the disc before a
determination has been made, the disc shall be considered in-bounds, and play for the thrower
and the mover of the disc shall proceed under the rules of interference, 803.07 B and C.

--------------------------------------------------------

Other course rules:

The water in the ditch to the right of Hole 6's basket will be played as Casual Water. If you land in that water and want to play from that lie, you simply play from behind your wet disc on the line of play, up to 5 meters behind (no closer to the hole) where your disc is in the water.

The running track on Hole 15 is OB---not the wooden poles 5 feet from the track, but the actual asphalt red track itself.

The fence on Hole 14 and 13 is OB.

There is only one Mando on the course and that is on Hole 18. If your disc passes to the right of the Mando, you would play your next shot from the drop zone (marked with red flags to the left of the Mando tree) with a one-stroke penalty.

On Pro Tee 11: This tee box has a special rule---for any shot that lands OB, no matter if it went out behind the basket or in front of the basket, you will play your next shot from the regular tee, with a one-stroke penalty. Regular OB rules apply from that throw onward, so if you go OB from the regular tee you would play your next shot from where your disc was last in-bounds.

Ok, that might be a lot to digest for some of you, but since this is a doubles tournament, it will be rare that both players end up OB on the same hole. But now if they do, you know how to handle that situation on every hole.

THE RULES ORACLE HAS SPOKEN

(feel free to ask questions for clarification---the more questions I answer in the next couple of days the less I must explain at the Players Meeting)

Thanks and good luck!
Anonymous User
July 20, 2011 10:50PM
One last thing i forgot to mention. The temp holes were laid out and measured.

19 is 315 feet
20 is 274 feet
21 is 320 feet.

The grass was mowed on most of the front 11. Hopefully the park will get to the rest Thursday.

I hope to be able to mark the pro tees tomorrow with flags. Also if anyone wants to bring their portable baskets out Thursday or Friday, we'll flag those teeboxes for practice as well.

There are only one set of tees on holes 19,20,and 21. Everyone will play the same tees on those 3 holes both rounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 10:53PM by Bluff Magee.
July 21, 2011 01:13AM
This temporary ammendment of the OB rule on Saturday should obviously be deemed. "The Kernan Can Putt From The Pond Rule" Which further proves his point he defended so vehemently on his honeymoon. LOL
Dex
July 21, 2011 07:48AM
Great job on the course and on the club, I know it will be outstanding

When you break down the facts of what must be done to have agreat course out at City Park, it puts it into perspective about what it really takes to make things happen, We are rather spoiled here in B.R. with BREC, but as a club we have achieved a great working relationship with them, where we can help them help us.

Saturday, coming to Big Browns Town

Dex
July 21, 2011 08:23AM
Thanks Mike!!

Cant wait to come to New Orleans!!!!

City Park is a fun course!!!!

peanut butter
Anonymous User
July 21, 2011 09:37AM
Detroit Wrote:
> cam32092 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just go ahead and put bill mcmillan/andrew
> > montgomery and derek drew/ryan hinton on the
> list,
> > im sure theyll pay the day of
>
> Our check is in the mail...andrew and bill will be
> there.Count us in for sure.

Wow your check actually was on the mail. Got it today, thanks...the Postal Service delivers again for only 44 cents!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013