Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TOP 10 projects SN could work on but........

Posted by Trackin01 
Re: TOP 10 projects SN could work on but........
April 23, 2012 09:59PM
One stat I would like to see posted on the standings page is "winning %". What is it you ask? It is simply the average percentage of your opponents you beat each event.

To make demonstration easier, I will use round numbers.

Player A plays four tournaments and finishes as follows:

10th of 50. Player A defeated 80% of the field, so winning %= 80
5th of 100. Winning%=95%
20th of 25. Winning%=20%. (Rough day of golf)
10th of 100. Winning%=90%

To get a winning percentage average, add W% of all rounds played and divide by total number of rounds played:

80+95+20+90=285. 285/4=71.25%

Player A's average winning percentage is 71.25%

To me this is a much clearer way to calculate performance. The current "score" feature is cool, but it gives a lot more weight to players who play big tourneys than small ones. I pretty much only play bigger tourneys, so my score is really inflated.

If scores are already in an Excel format, this stat is nothing to plug in. Just something I'd like to see.
April 24, 2012 08:14AM
Mr. Browning-

I like this idea you came up with. I am a numbers guys and like seeing things like that. Gives me a chance to see how I am doing on average. I do wonder about some thing though. Lets say you have player who compete in multiple divisions. Example: Pro Grandmaster who competes in Master and Open occasionally. Would you want those calculations added to the average of his over all performance? Or do you have a percentage in each division he competes in?
Example: On average he beats 90% of the field in Grandmasters, 80% of Masters, and 65% of Open Men. I like those stats as well.

Keeping this in an excel document wouldn't be hard, but applying it to the stats database might be another questions. Maybe a Bryan Moon job. Again, you have my VOTE! Now you have me wanting to go check my stats out! lol
April 24, 2012 03:53PM
I would think your winning % would be kept separate for each division. Some people want ratings some don't. The winning percentage would be a relatively simple way to help you make a decision about whether or not it's time to move up or move down. If you have a winning % in the 90's, you might want to consider moving up. If you have a winning percentage less than 10 in advanced, you may want to move down.

Either way, its a fun stat to look at. In the next few days I will try to find the time to calculate and compare my winning % vs. my score average. Both are fun to look at. I'm kind of an Excel guru myself, so I would be willing to help with this as needed. Someone earlier in this thread spoke of a standardized Excel spreadsheet for reporting. I do not know if that's in use, but a workbook could be created to add all tournament results to, and you could simply add all incoming results to a sheet from that workbook.

I think we are not alone in believing this would be a fun stat to keep up with for next season.
April 24, 2012 07:54PM
I think that's a great idea. I say roll with it - separate stat for each division. That way if you try to move up or down in different tournaments (in Am) you could see scoring for a single player over several divisions if they compete in them, say: average 80% in intermediate, 50% in advance, and 20% in pro. I think it'd also be cool if player and tournament stats could be exported to excel so people could tinker with the data and find other new ideas.
April 25, 2012 05:55PM
The winning percentile would be affected by how large the tourneys are and how well the players are playing around you. You could be a pro and have shot 2 1000 rated rounds but the others got really hot and shot over 1000 rated and beat you. Your winning percentile for that tourney would be 0% when you actually did well. Another thing, if you are only 1 of 2 pros that show up and you get 2nd, will your winning percentile be 0% for that tourney?
April 25, 2012 07:24PM
Thanks for everybody's interest. I have moved the winning % topic to its own thread here if you would like to add to it. The topic seems to be taking on a life of its own and I don't want to hijack the excellent "TOP 10 projects..." thread we've got going here.

[www.sndg.org]
July 15, 2012 09:04PM
Ok, It has been officially one year to the date that I posted this topic which caught some attention and sparked a little interest.

Has any of the topics been worked on? What do you think?
July 15, 2012 10:26PM
based on what ive seen, none of it has been done yet. One of the main reasons why i entered my name into the hat for BoD
July 16, 2012 10:21AM
I'm currently trying to look into it myself in regards to getting a new website. I have a friend who could do it for us for a small price. I just gotta get details from the BoD on what we'd want. Etc

We could pay for it by hosting a huge charity tournament where the funds go straight to the making of the website. And for the ratings on it we could also do a charity tournament every now as then that could go towards whoever kept the ratings as a small payment maybe. Just a thought that might be a lil simpler than 25 cents a player at a tournament go towards it. However I like that idea too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 10:27AM by JBrowntown7.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

cox3 , DJ
Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013