Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SNDG Championships - BR - news

Posted by Willy BTc 
misterbogey
Re: SNDG Championships - BR - news
January 11, 2003 06:35AM
Thanks for your opinion "disc" aka "anony".

I think you might get those opinions read and understood more if you just add a few punctiation marks and Caps to your messages. That said, I understood everthing you said, but disagree on one major point.

I believe the pro SNDG Championship should be PDGA sanctioned, but not the am Championship and, if I understand correctly, this is what will happen this year. If the ams had to pay the extra $5 for the "privilege" of playing in a PDGA sanctioned event then I too would object.

And to address your message in another forum, I don't think we need to compete with the PDGA...disc golf would be best served through a spirit of cooperation between our organizations.

Hope to see you today at the Lafayette tournament...it's a "privilege" to play here and there's no extra charge...;-p
January 11, 2003 11:03AM
disc/anoy,

It somewhat annoys me when people come on to a message board and throw out accusations they haven't researched or can't back up. You accused Memphis of taking money away from the pot??

Let's do the math shall we? I don't remember what the entry fee was for each Division, but lets use your $70 entry fee and apply it to all the Divisions.

I counted a total of 122 entries. At $70 a piece thats $8540.

Then, I went and added up the Pay Out for all Divisions. That comes to $11,556.

That's $3000 over the entry fee's brought in and doesn't take into any account of fee's or costs to run a Tournament. Hello?

ANYWAY in my opinion the Southern National Am Championship should be a PDGA as well. I play both and would love to get points in both in just one Tournament. Woo Hoo! :D

Brad
TheZinger
January 11, 2003 05:58PM
I don't mind the Pro championship being PDGA, but only if it is for some to qualify for the USDGC. But I really DO NOT LIKE having to pay the extra $5 for the championship of OUR tournament!!

I have been playing SNDG tournaments all year, so why should I have to be penalized the $5 to play in the SNDG Championship.

I think we need to tell the PDGA to drop the fee or we(sndg) drops them. They're the ones wanting us to make it pdga sanctioned.

So considering it is OUR championship and NOT THEIRS, we shouldn't have to pay a fee!!
Disagree
January 13, 2003 07:46AM
I have to agree that the Southern Nationals should NOT be a PDGA event. When the Southern Nationals started, it was being promoted as the alternative to the PDGA tour and meant for the "Southern" regions of the United States. So now, for whatever reason, they want to change everything, and I think that is wrong and it is not standing behind the original intent of the Southern Nationals. How will you every really know how much the "Southern Nationals" itself has grown to compare to the PDGA/USDGC if you change everything to include them?

It's not that $5 would break many people, it is the principal, we shouldn't have to pay extra for the "privilage" to play in ANY tournament. That's ridiculous. I personally don't appreciate having to pay an extra $5-7 dollars for the "privilage" of playing in a PDGA sanctioned event, if I want to belong to the PDGA then I will join and travel to where PDGA events are held, which at one time I did belong, but never felt that I was getting my money's worth, so just because a "few" players feel this is how it should be for their own personal reasons, is wrong in my opinion, although they are certainly entitled to their opinion, but if they want the points for PDGA, then go travel to a PDGA tournament and quit trying to turn the Southern Nationals into something that was not in their original plans. I think Southern Nationals should remain independent, not to mention when a tourney is PDGA sanctioned, it sucks the fun out of the tournament, and it cost more to play, I thought this great sport was suppose to be about having fun and not paying an arm and leg to do it.

That's my two cents!
Agreeing to Disagree
January 13, 2003 08:37AM
Amen. I agree with you. $5 wouldn't break me either but I didn't join as PDGA events are all over, I am in college and I like the southern nationals as my way to compete. If a PDGA member came to play with us, we wouldn't charge them extra as it is open to all disc golfers. I play to win, yes but the fact of the matter is we should stay independent and if someone want's another tournament, go to it. I am happy the way things are.
January 13, 2003 09:25AM
I don't believe anyone is saying that the Southern Nationals (SNDG as a whole) should blend in with the PDGA. I believe it's safe to say that SNDG will remain independent from the PDGA. There are comparatively few PDGA events within the SNDG region, but some of us would like to compete in PDGA events. I see no reason that they can't intersect at a few select events, such as the LA Open, the City of Mobile Championships, and, yes, the SN Championships. These few tournaments give people in the SN region a chance to earn points or invitations to major PDGA events, such as the USDGC or the PDGA World championships.

I understand the reluctance of many to pay $5 to an organization to which they are not a member. The only way to earn a spot to the USDGC, however, is through PDGA-sanctioned events. The only such sanctioned event in the SN region (certainly one of the very few) that will earn an invitation to the USDGC is, I believe, the SN Pro Championship. I personally would like to see the SN Am Championship also be a PDGA event, but the majority obviously do not (based on this forum) and that's fine by me. However, to not have the SN Pro Championships be a USDGC Qualifier (and thus PDGA sanctioned) would be a mistake, in my opinion. The USDGC is arguably disc golf's finest event and we should provide an opportunity for the SNDG's finest golfers to earn an invitation through the SN Pro Championships.
Boston
January 13, 2003 09:34AM
I think the AMs should be added. We should have the same chance as pros for a shot at he invitational. If I read wrong, I apologize.
TheZinger
January 13, 2003 11:20AM
But I still don't think we should pay a fee of $5 for OUR championship. No $5 ain't going to hurt me. But the overall payout it will.

And once again, the AMs championship should NEVER be a pdga event. Like i said above, this is Our championship, not the PDGAs!!
January 13, 2003 01:38PM
Zinger,

$5 fee shouldn't affect the Payout. It should be paid as an extra by the person who is not a PDGA Member. In my opinion. :D

Brad
TheZinger
January 13, 2003 04:57PM
But still, why should I have to pay it for a SNDG Championship tournament.
zinger, it's only $5. no one is asking you to pony up $50 to join the PDGA. that is why the SN pro championship is also a B-tier, even though it pays out better than several A-tier supertour events. You have to be a PDGA member to even play in an A-tier! Jim could have easily made this event an A-tier and probably attracted more of the national pros who don't bother to play a SN qualifier, but he kept it a B-tier so people who don't want to put up $50 to join the PDGA only have to put up an extra five measly dollars to play. making it a B-tier also allows Jim to exclude those pros who never actually play in a SN qualifier as well. but it is still a USDGC qualifier and is one of the best tournaments in the country. don't knock the PDGA, they are the only and therefore the strongest and best national disc golf organization we have. they actually do promote disc golf! imagine disc golf without the PDGA before you consider whether it's worth $5 a year. thanks for your support!
(a message from the Louisiana State PDGA Coordinator)
TheZinger
January 13, 2003 06:38PM
"Jim could have easily made this event an A-tier and probably attracted more of the national pros who don't bother to play a SN qualifier, but he kept it a B-tier so people who don't want to put up $50 to join the PDGA only have to put up an extra five measly dollars to play."

But the reason why he would never do this is the fact that this is the SNDG Championship. The PDGA is lucky, not us. Jim is not keeping it a B-tier for those people who don't want to put up $50 to join the PDGA only have to put up an extra five measly dollars to play. He is doing it because it is not a PDGA tournament, it is a Southern National tournament. He is not ever going to make everyone who wants to play in our own tournament join the PDGA. Maybe we should make those who have only played 4 or fewer SNDG tournaments pay a fee if they're a PDGA member. ;) J/J but you get my point....:)
TheZinger
January 13, 2003 11:51PM
i understand all the opions about the pdga. I would love to watch some of the best disc golfers play head-to-head.

But my main point is WHY SHOULD THE SNDG BE PENALIZED FOR LETTING OUR CHAMPIONSHIP BE PDGA SANCTIONED?

This is all. I am not trying to diss the Pdga. I am just saying that we shouldn't be penalized for letting it be a B-tier.
TheZinger
January 13, 2003 11:53PM
darn them misspelled words. I meant to type: i understand all the opinions about the pdga. :)
January 14, 2003 10:36AM
The List of Qualifiers for the 2003 USDGC has been posted. Looks like the Southern Nationals this year will be the LAST Qualifier in the country which sounds great to me! Congrats Jim on keeping this as one of only 15 in the country.

Let me know BR when you get your website up advertising the Tournament! Should be a good one with it being the last Qualifier. Get those Texas people over to it!

Brad
matt amond
January 14, 2003 08:10PM
he will this is matt aymond cant wait to the pro tour. i have to get a little bit better hahahaha
January 20, 2003 01:58PM
I'll get to work on that Brad, Hopefully with a little help from some computer literate folks, but "till then, just keep looking here on the forum page to get updates on what is going on with us down here. (Just secured the Host Hotel for the SNDGC)

PS - Do still have bag tag's available from me or Jim O
Peace,
WillyBTc
January 21, 2003 08:18AM
Sounds good Will. As soon as you get a website up, I will link it to Memphisdiscgolf.com.

On another note, possibly needing to be addressed to Jim...has any thought been given to advertising the Southern National Tournament in the Disc Golf World News? Might want to be looking into that.

Brad
January 21, 2003 08:30AM
will,

let me know what you need help with designing a web page for the BR 03 SN FINALS... i have tons of graphics, photos from SN events and templates and can churn out a web page in no time...

imo, it would be best to host any web page related to the SN FINALS events here at the SN web site.

perhaps a subdirectory, like-- www.sndg.org/03finals
(on that page you could have info about both the PRO & AM events.)

also-- that way it could be an archive of the results and efforts...

& then next year do... www.sndg.org/04finals

(ps. if the hattiesburg folks need help, i will design a web page for them too... for the 03 SN AM FINALS)
January 21, 2003 03:42PM
Oh yea, if the am's want a shot at the usdgc , they have to play the same courses as the pros, sorry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013