Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Tournament Ideas
August 16, 2011 10:10PM
I want to know of some new or old ideas for future tournaments. I am always willing to try something new in a tournament and see if players like it.

For example: I tried a $5,000 ace throw off in March this year, it went well and we have 70 players attend.

I tried a Putting Competition at the Arkansas State Championships and paid out cash for the Amateurs and Professonals. We had to competitions. Gave out trophies and paid out 3 spots. No percentages It went well, but I paid out $100 for both divisoins $50, $30, $20. I charged $5 for 9 putts and they tried to score the most points they could at each station (3 stations, 3 putts a piece). In the end I lost $5 bucks on it. So, that sucked.

I tried cash CTP's ($10.00) each to spread out the wealth and made it available for divisions only. This went reall well and people were excited to win the money. That could be 10 CTP's at $10 = $100

I tried adding Island Holes to some short holes at Burns Park to toughen up the course. Some players liked it and others didn't (you can only imagine who didn't like them right?) When you take a 6 on a hole it stings a bit. lol

I've started the Women on hole #1 and worked my way down the board from there. The Men Pro Open complained but the women were very happy. They felt special for doing this. At least that is what I heard.

I've given away $100.00 worth of merchandise to women only drawing. All women who showed up to my event were put into a drawing for the $100 worth of merchandise. Candles, Disc Golf Merch, Bath stuff, etc . . . . The woman was excited but we only had 3 women show up! It was to help bring women to the event not make them stay home. lol
Re: Tournament Ideas
August 16, 2011 11:19PM
Old idea, but great one! Credit Joe Sherrod for this one.

At the Pro Fox Hunt, for the 2nd round I am flirting with the idea of the bottom couple of cards in the Adv division playing for $1 skins (merchandise only. So it really only costs like $0.60 per skin.) This lets those who are pretty much out of it, have something to play for the 2nd round. Hopefully there will be a good many Advanced since there will be no Intermediates at this event. This will make things interesting for everyone til the very end.

TB
Dex
August 17, 2011 07:46AM
Doug; we set up Island holes out at Flanacher, we have found the main thing is have a resonable drop zone, so not to make missing cost that much.plus does not hold up other groups
B.R. likes to have $20.00 CTPs for out of towners only, players seem to like it, we also do bag tag CTPs, and division, and you are right they go over well

At Flanacher for the Z-town and some others we will set up 1000,00 feet of white 1'' nylon rope for O.B. really looks cool, I made black pipe stanscions with welded eyes for it, looks pretty cool, would like to paint the 30' radius around the baskets, just run out of time

Dex
August 17, 2011 08:28AM
Here is something I did last October to help with bag- tags and keep people around for the awards. The turn card for every division received a SN bag tag. It seemed to work well. I had a lot of add sponsorship money to cover the cost of the tags.

I also used a Shane Seal idea, a ctp for every group, received a disc both rounds. Also worked very well.

August 17, 2011 09:13AM
One of the things that I do after my tournaments is send each and every cash sponsor a personal letter thanking them for their donation along with a spreadsheet detailing the complete finances of the event. This shows them that I truely appreciate their contribution and that their money didn't go in someone's pocket.

Gary Wagoner
August 17, 2011 09:24AM
Gary Wagoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the things that I do after my tournaments
> is send each and every cash sponsor a personal
> letter thanking them for their donation along with
> a spreadsheet detailing the complete finances of
> the event. This shows them that I truely
> appreciate their contribution and that their money
> didn't go in someone's pocket.
>
> Gary Wagoner

HELLOFA idea!!!!!

August 17, 2011 09:28AM
Gary-
That is a for sure idea. I think a thank you card or something showing you appreciation is fantastic. Then next year it will be easier to talk to them about a cash sponsor. I've given businesses a hot stamp disc to put on the wall as well. Then hear people say that's a disc in a doctors office!
August 17, 2011 09:35AM
Gephart Electric has given me $100 for 2 past tournaments and will send me another $100 for Wall Doxey. The head of their Robinsonville office said that the two discs he has on his wall get more conversation than anything else. I spend a lot of time on the design of my tournament discs. Check out the design just posted on the Wall Doxey thread.

Gary Wagoner
August 17, 2011 09:39AM
that is a great disc was going to tell you I wanted to buy 1.

August 25, 2011 03:09PM
I'm really liking the annual idea of a jacket, ring, name on a disc, or something neat like that for a champion. I am looking for something completely new or unique to give away at the NPC Championship in May. I would use something other than a windbreaker for that event though.
Any thoughts?
August 25, 2011 03:29PM
I always thought something like a champions cup would be cool .....engraved with each years winners like the stanley cup in hockey.....of course you wouldn't give that away (that's more like a tournament fixture)

JOhn k
August 25, 2011 08:09PM
John K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always thought something like a champions cup
> would be cool .....engraved with each years
> winners like the stanley cup in hockey.....of
> course you wouldn't give that away (that's more
> like a tournament fixture)
>
> JOhn k

I have thought about that idea, but then I had to realize #1 that would be a lot of names if I engraved all champions of each division and #2 it would sit in my office for a whole year....with no display case. lol

However I do have ideas for displaying winners in some way each year at the banquet and event itself.
I like the MPO/WPO name on the following years discs. That would be cool to see.

A nice jacket, custom basket with name on it, or something unique like that would be cool to see. Im open at this point for suggestions.
October 18, 2012 04:42PM
bump
October 19, 2012 07:38AM
For second round play (final rounds) among the lower-placed groups, we used to give the winner of each card a disc. Didn't do this for cards where players were likely to finish in the prizes, just for the mostly "out of the running" folks. The best scoring player would pick up their disc when turning in the scorecard, so this doesn't slow down awards. Gives folks a reason to pay attn second round, even if they can't do well overall in their division. These discs are part of the overall awards, so it helps to flatten the payouts a bit, allowing more folks to win something rather than a few guys to win great big stacks o' plastic.
October 19, 2012 08:29AM
I really like that idea! ^^^^^^ At the NPC Championships 2012 I gave card winners a promotional MVP Disc and it went over well!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013