Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dauphin Island, AL getting DG course? Rumor or truth?

Posted by Irish wraith 
Dauphin Island, AL getting DG course? Rumor or truth?
January 26, 2012 10:29AM
I'm hearing scuddlebut that the recently closed Dauphin Island ball golf course is going to be developed into an awesome disc golf course/retreat. Multiple layouts of 18, restaurant, camping, etc...
Can anyone shed any light on this topic? Rumor? Truth? If it is so, is the MADGA club involved and is there anyway that those of us who are interested can volunteer or contribute in any way?
Thanks in advance for any information.

Joey
Re: Dauphin Island, AL getting DG course? Rumor or truth?
January 26, 2012 12:20PM
Truth.
This is what's happening for everone to know. DI courses will be opening in a few months. No official date set yet. But I will post ASAP. 2 courses have been flagged and will range between 21 and 24 holes. Some holes will have two T-boxes and some holes will have different pin placements. There are water hazards, trees, elevation changes and the most crucial is the wind. There will be a restaurant, golf carts to rent, beer, and a minimal fee to play. There is also a pool and beach access for the families. As far as camping goes it wont be on the golf couse. There is camping at Forts Gaines. Not to mention they have rental houses.

Please dont go out and bombard DI trying to help at this time. There are certain people involed and the City still has to approve the official closing of the ball course and the opening of a DGC.

Once authorized I will post if anyone wants to volunteer
January 26, 2012 04:49PM
Awesome!!!!!!
January 26, 2012 08:01PM
Wow! That's going to be incredible. Mums the word...for now.
January 27, 2012 02:53PM
WoW!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it all pans out. If so, I will be visiting DI more often....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
January 27, 2012 03:11PM
Beer,carts and a sea breeze.....BRING IT!

BMB
January 27, 2012 05:10PM
I want to help. I have alot to offer. Please call me!!!

Bernie Sawyer
251-510-2392
January 27, 2012 06:25PM
There's nothing to do at this point.......MR. PRESIDENT.

BMB
January 28, 2012 10:09AM
It's my understanding that with the new volunteer group currently keeping the ball golf course going, that they hope to continue to do so running both types of golf all summer. This location is incredible by the way as it is directly on the Gulf of Mexico - unbelievable views. Disc golf will be a welcome addition to the Island and there is the campground at Fort Gaines as well as several condo and vacation rentals that will work with 2 night minimums. The Chamber website: www.dauphinislandcoc.com has more info on the Island and what else is available out here.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 10:52AM by hemingway845.
January 29, 2012 01:29AM
Sorry I missed you today Cullen. Please call me if you would like some help of any kind.
January 30, 2012 08:57AM
This would be great for Mobile area disc golf! Bring it on!!!!

BOOM! pdga# 41853
March 18, 2012 05:57AM
what is the lastest on this?
March 18, 2012 06:56PM
That's great news to hear. I plan on being there for vacation the first week of June. I guess thats a little to early to play golf, but I would like to come by and check it out. Who knows I might get lucky and get to play. If there is anyone I can contact to go check it out please let me know. Looking forward to another disc golf addition, thats going to be a great location.
March 19, 2012 03:12PM
not sure what is going on. there are 2 courses marked with 22 holes each. just waiting to hear the word so the baskets can be ordered. last word was they wanted to be up and running on apr 1. but not looking good for that date.
April 10, 2012 08:00AM
What is the latest news on the DI disc golf course if any one has word please pass it along
April 13, 2012 07:16AM
They want to be up and running by May now, but I cant get a response from them. I was supposed to go there today for a meeting but have had returned calls or emails.
As soon as I get some feedback, I will post immiediatly Everyone was on fire for this project, but for some reason it has started to fizzle out. It could be because of the backlash from the golfers. I say to them, throw a disc, throw away your clubs.
May 05, 2012 02:25PM
I'm on my way back from the DI Golf Course public beach. The lady who took our money ($3 per adult on weekends) said that part of that money is going toward the course. She said they are "working with a firm" who has big plans, but the course(s) aren't going to be ready until the fall.
September 14, 2012 08:36PM
Has anybody heard anything about the progress of this course?
Anonymous User
September 14, 2012 08:59PM
September 15, 2012 01:33PM
not gonna happen
September 16, 2012 05:25PM
The ball golf course is closing. They want the Disc couse to come but they want someone to rent out the pro-shop and run the disc course from there. I have phone numbers if anyone is interested in doing this. The Island is on board and so are local shops. The shops are willing to invest but this would be a tough thing to run.

PM me if you have questions or want phone numbers.
September 17, 2012 08:03AM
[blog.al.com]

This is the link to the latest published info on Dauphin Island Golf Course.

Mark A. Mann
September 18, 2012 09:28PM
Thanks, Mark.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013