Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2013 SN Championship Bids

Posted by pbgolfpb 
Re: 2013 SN Championship Bids
July 06, 2012 02:09PM
when I say finals, I am only talking about the top 4 open players who play 6 more holes for score

the tournament for everybody else would only be 3 rounds
Anonymous User
July 06, 2012 07:03PM
Didn't realize you were speaking of SNPC.
July 06, 2012 09:36PM
BOD,
Please answer his questions.....

July 07, 2012 03:54PM
I would say you would need to have at least 63 holes, not just par of 189. Now I'm not saying that the BOD couldn't vote to allow such a set up. Sorry I can't give a better answer at this time, but I am not sure how the rest of the board would decide on this.
July 08, 2012 08:19PM
the reason i ask is because it is more than just increasing the par

the extra distance (11,000 ft) and amount of time to play the round is also equal to 1 1/2 rounds compared to your typical round of disc golf
July 08, 2012 10:31PM
Judging form conversations earlier in the thread, it sounds like the board would choose to stick to a traditional definition of a round that depends on the number of holes thrown, not the number of shots. I am also not sure I see the need to restructure the championships just because the course is longer. I've played in plenty of tournaments where we played 2 rounds on a course like you're describing. It is definitely doable. If you're concerned about getting players home, play the longer courses on Saturday. Also, using the cut after the third round can really cut down on time. ( I am unclear if the 9 holes can serve as the finals). I also think there would be discontent from the players over playing less golf.

On the other hand, if you're considering placing a bid for the SNPC and this is a deal breaker on your bid, oh well, let's get ready to play 3 rounds because no one else see,s to want to host it.
July 12, 2012 09:26AM
Was there an official answer?
July 12, 2012 11:27AM
Nope, the rest of the board hasn't said anything.

Mississippi State Disc Golf
July 12, 2012 12:44PM
I would be interested in hearing from more players on this

As a player, I have always been in favor of more golf - 4 rounds over 3 rounds any day

However, having played the 3 courses we have in mind, in a 2 day format, I will bet that will be plenty of golf for almost anybody - also curious if you played MS states last year, what you think?
July 12, 2012 02:22PM
8. The tournament will be a minimum 3 and a half rounds. There can be a cut after the 3rd round. A finals will be held (format determined by the host, i.e. score continuing, skins, ect...)

My analysis is just for fun of course but I think the guideline is pretty clear in requiring 63 holes with everybody on the first 54. Since it says there can be a cut after 3 rounds, the last 9 (55-63) can be the finals between only 4 or more or less if the score is continuing. If the finals (55-63) are not continuing score, for example skins only winner already determined, it is debatable whether they are part of the tournament. I would tend to say they are not but that depends on the definition of tournament which I think means the play that determines the champion. However I would be willing to bet any layout proposed by Clayton would be enough throws for a legitimate champion. Since it is a bid situation it will necessarily be board approved, with the end result being the guidelines are not absolute or binding so they do not technically matter at all. I imagine the board would pick the be best bid considering all factors since there is no way to mathematically determine the best bid under the guidelines. It is very true that the most holes does not necessarily equal the most golf or the most difficulty, which is what a championship should be about.
July 12, 2012 03:47PM
Ideally we would like to see the guidlelines followed, ie 3 rounds and then a cut to a final 9 holes for half the field. Consistancy is a consideration when dealing the championships so the players have an idea as to what format to expect each year even with different tournament hosts. With that said as Kevin pointed out above, if you want to run the SNAC differently for whatever reason then submit your ideas and the SN board will make the decision based on the number of hosts interested and what they are each offering. If you are the only interested host and have something outside of the typical SNAC norm then you will probably be allowed to run it like you want.

My opinion is that for a SNAC every hole doesn't have to be a championship level hole where you have to throw bombs to get a decent score. Each SN championship should consider the players they are targeting.

JOhn k
July 12, 2012 05:20PM
If I am understanding John correctly the ideal is 3 and a half rounds plus a "finals". The guideline does not actually read that way. The words "a cut" are not further defined so while a half cut for round 4 may be the ideal it is not stated in the guideline to be a cut of half the field. The word "finals" is not further defined so while the ideal may be for it to be some number of holes after the 3 and a half rounds the guideline does not state that it cannot be the 4th round of 9 holes. It makes little sense to me to say the "finals" need not be "score continuing" but that is how the guideline reads. If the finals don't count toward the final score and championship determination they are not really finals, just some more fun & money opportunity for the top few. Personally I like the idea of a top few playing for skin cash only, but I just don't see how that is a "finals" because it doesn't decide the champion.

Thanks for tolerating me John, I know I am difficult.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 05:23PM by Discjazz.
July 12, 2012 06:20PM
I am hoping if I keep reading Discjazz post by next year I will be able to pass the bar exam for Ms.

July 12, 2012 07:13PM
The bar exam for "Ms." is completely different from the bar exam for "MS". They both can get you a license and change your life.
July 12, 2012 07:19PM
If it was for the SNPC, I personally would like to see the top open men and women play the final round only. That way everyone will get to see how the people at the top play and so the top players can show out in front of a large gallery.

If it was the the SNAC, I think a final 9 would not be too bad. Last year at the SNAC the advanced division had to play Lafreniere 3 times due to the finals. I dont know if you are concerened with using the same course for the finals or not.

Mississippi State Disc Golf
July 12, 2012 07:51PM
Discjazz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bar exam for "Ms." is completely different
> from the bar exam for "MS". They both can get you
> a license and change your life.

LOL....true soooo true

July 12, 2012 08:05PM
I was inquiring about the SNPC

also, I am not just talking about a longer course for the sake of being long - it is a legit par 4 and 5 course, with placement shots and the works

I realize we could probably just bid on it as is and it would likely be accepted considering there haven't been any bids yet, but I wanted to get more opinions on the issue, rather than just jump to conclusions

I would say 3 rounds of what we have planned if we go forward with this would be equal to the 4 rounds we played last year...
July 12, 2012 09:39PM
I don't think changing the format just because of the courses being played is a good idea. It opens the door to more changes. Also SNPC is held on a 3 day weekend in part for the reason of not have time restrictions. You have enough holes up there to hold 3.5 + finials without any problems.

July 13, 2012 01:06PM
the issue is that we have 3 courses and we would have 2 pools

however, LL and LL Gold overlap each other, so they can not be played at the same time

if we did 3 rounds, we could alternate Propst and LL on Saturday and do tee times for Sunday for the LL Gold course

if we do 4 rounds (I prefer this rather than doing a cut and only 9 holes), then the only course both pools could play twice would be Propst - I am not against this, but if possible, I was trying to think of a way to let the Open players play the Gold course twice, to really test their ability
Anonymous User
July 13, 2012 06:42PM
Would love to see a championship in Columbus.
July 13, 2012 09:45PM
bazkitcase5 Wrote:
> the issue is that we have 3 courses and we would
> have 2 pools
>
> however, LL and LL Gold overlap each other, so
> they can not be played at the same time
>
> if we did 3 rounds, we could alternate Propst and
> LL on Saturday and do tee times for Sunday for the
> LL Gold course
>
> if we do 4 rounds (I prefer this rather than doing
> a cut and only 9 holes), then the only course both
> pools could play twice would be Propst - I am not
> against this, but if possible, I was trying to
> think of a way to let the Open players play the
> Gold course twice, to really test their ability

You could have a 4th round in Starkville :) I can set up the course to a championship level.
July 24, 2012 04:57AM
Would love to have the SNAC in Pensacola next year.... Or a combined Ft Walton and Pensacola..... Now thats a vacation and a great Tournament!
July 25, 2012 02:20AM
So far only one real bid has been submitted here and has been awarded to Lafayette for the SNDC next year. Everything else has been talk about what is required for the championships. Could someone else please submit a bid already? I think you guys have talked enough about this. And it's not like these championships haven't been held before for years now. Come on TD's the time for talking has passed, it's time to step up to the plate and swing at the ball.
July 25, 2012 02:36AM
I def agree that pensacola would be awesome place
July 25, 2012 11:58AM
i agree john some tds needs to step up to the plate!
July 25, 2012 01:14PM
Johnathan Nyce Wrote:
> So far only one real bid has been submitted here
> and has been awarded to Lafayette for the SNDC
> next year.

Sorry guys, this post never made it to the page but...
"Hattiesburg Disc Golf Assn., would like to put in a bid for the 2013 SNAC. We will use Paul B. Johnson State Park, Ashe Lake, and possibly Tatum Park."

Also another club may be biding on the SNAC, it will be about a week before any info on that one.
August 01, 2012 10:00AM
Thanks Johnathan!!!

I agree, I would love for some new Cities to take on one of these Events. Tupelo stepped up and did a great Job this year.
Birmingham and Mobile will also be awesome!!!!

Lafayette is going to do a great job next year for doubles.

Thanks to Hattiesburg Disg Golf Association for their bid!!!!!

If you have direct questions with any guidelines or want to put in a bid, please email me at pb5150pb@gmail.com or PM me here on the site. You will get your answer a lot quicker.

Thanks,

peanut butter
August 01, 2012 06:29PM
Columbus will be putting in a bid for the SNPC - just working out some final details to make sure we have everything planned out (at least in theory)
Anonymous User
August 01, 2012 07:18PM
^ Hope it goes through. Best of luck Columbus!
August 13, 2012 08:18PM
Any updates for the 2013 SNAC or 2013 SNPC?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013