Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2012 BoD Election Nominations

Posted by Eric Day 
Re: 2012 BoD Election Nominations
August 08, 2012 06:48PM
What I would like to see from these candidates is some ideas they would bring to the table. I only know one of those candidates on the list. This is why I wished for a pic of these people with a list of ideas they would come up with. If not, why bother voting? I'd rather vote for a candidate that shows not just interest, but initiative to seek them out. With just names, im picking people just to keep the boat a float. This could be wishful thinking. Do we have any takers?
Anonymous User
August 08, 2012 06:53PM
Gotta have current BOD members Jazz before we have toes...
August 08, 2012 07:22PM

Jacob Brown
University of Mobile, Mobile Al

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 07:38PM by JBrowntown7.
August 08, 2012 07:26PM
My name is Jacob Brown. I currently attend the University of Mobile in Mobile Alabama. I am 22 years old and honestly believe that to be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. The reason for that is, because Im a student I more than likely have more time on my hands to make a difference and lend a hand somewhere than someone who is working a full time job, and has a longer list of personal responsibilities. My priorities are simple. My school, friends, and what I do for fun., which happens to be disc golf. Another reason being young and a student is an advantage is because I’m still incredibly driven in everything I do, and being young, I feel like I have a lot to prove. I feel a young, driven, and passionate guy is more suited than someone who may just be trying to help out the BoD when they have free time, or because no one else will do it. The last thing I have going for me that is related to being young and somewhat new to the sport is the fact that I am not set in my ways like some veterans may be. I am open to change and bettering of the association in any way possible. Another expertise I feel I have is I do know how to be a leader in any sport I have been a part of. I have helped run many clinics, tournaments, and camps in sports like soccer and baseball. I played soccer in college (5th yr now so not anymore) and a coach is one of the things I desire to be which requires a leadership quality. I also set up my first disc golf tournament recently in Cullman Al at Heritage park. It was unsanctioned but out of all the people we had, over 20 of them were brand new players . None of them had ever played in a tournament before and a few just learned of the sport when they came across a flier I had put out. I will also say that one person that has gotten me more interested and the sport, and actually made an effort to get me to come to more events was Bill Bullington. He actually helped me with merchandise for the tournament I put on, so half the stuff I’ve learned was actually from him.

Jacob Brown
University of Mobile, Mobile Al

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 07:31PM by JBrowntown7.
August 08, 2012 07:30PM
Getting to the things I want to achieve. First and foremost is setting up a new website. I have already reached out to the current BoD about this. I have two people that could make the website for us, and do it just as good as the PDGA website if not better. ( I showed them the PDGA website and said can you do this but better) The funds to cover this. This is obviously up to all the players, not just the BoD. Some ideas for extra funds are Charity tournaments where all profits go directly to the making of the website. And I've mentioned charity tournaments before but if we asked a TD in each state associated with the SN to host a charity tournament for the website in consecutive weeks it could raise alot. That way people from all over could contribute instead of having it in just one city that may be too far a drive for someone. Say maybe Alabama Florida louisiana Arkansas Mississippi tennessee all have one back to back.
Having a few volunteers in select places run a clinic every now and then is another idea. We would charge a small fee to come and help spread the game of disc golf to newcomers, and actually teach some the basics of the game. I know that when I started out I would have gone to any kind of clinic I could find for some extra pointers. Learning the game on your own is tough, so it would be nice to have someone possibly take you under their wing. Another suggestion is taking from the SNAC, this idea was first suggested by Bluff.
Another thing I want addressed that most people mention every now and then but never do anything about is spread the sport. I did not even know disc golf existed until last year, and the only reason I started playing was because my local park (Heritage Park in Cullman, AL) built a disc golf course. Even then I did not know of the SN or that there were actual disc golf tournaments. I just happened to come across a flier one day in Mobile and decided to check it out. My point is this, Advertising of the sport, tournaments, etc needs to be way better and more efficient. There are hundreds of schools that people could advertise at. At my current college, I know of literally ten people that play. The other thousands of kids do not even know what it is. I plan on making a flyer and getting our intramural committee to advertise it so that more people can be introduced to the sport. Another form of advertisement that I rarely see used for the SN is Facebook. I knew of every PDGA event coming up because I was always invited to a group on facebook by Bill Bullington. An Event of every tournament was always on there. It only takes a small amount of effort to do.
I have tons of ideas but Ive written way too much already lol.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 07:37PM by JBrowntown7.
August 08, 2012 07:30PM
Below are two posts I have currently posted on ideas for SN. The first was a reply to Trackin01’s 10 things he would like done with the SN. I suggest everyone become familiar with those because It’s obvious he has great ideas people should pay attention to. And to reply to trackin’s post. If people want to see what I look like add me on facebook. My email is jacobbrown_3@hotmail.com

JBrowntown7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think making a more attractive website, issuing
> every player an ID number, and adding a ratings
> system would make the SN far more organized and
> more attractive to sponsors. If the SN looked
> extremely professional and well run, getting
> sponsors would be alot easier. Getting an online
> registration would in my mind be huge. Maybe
> charge an extra 2 or 3 dollars to do so and have
> thy extra profit you earn go to the championships
> or whatever helps something. On bag tags. I
> actually was recently looking into them, and I
> agree there is honesty no point in buying one
> becausethere is no incentive for one. I agree with
> John k, think it was him, who suggested some perks
> in having a bag tag such as their own ace pot.
> There were a lot more, that is just one of them. I
> strongly agree with the two bonus ones. I like all
> ideas and am for every one of them. If I actually
> got on it I would push or every one of them. In my
> mind I want the SN to have as much recognition and
> respect as the pdga. The SN already hosts better
> tournaments from what I have seen so why not be
> better in other areas? Now that doesn't mean they
> should compete with each other, I think the two
> should use each other as motivation to be better.

Some ideas for website
Page for the new handbook
Advertisements
Ratings and points page
History page (how the SN got started, who do we thank for getting it together)
Past winners etc
Updated schedules and results
a donation link for anyone who chooses to donate to the SN. Maybe we can have a specific thing we trying to raise money for and they donate strictly for that
Forums. Obviously
A list of all clubs and leagues. This way all the new players can come on and see what's around them
A list of all TDs just to show them respect
A merchandise page like contrast said
If we did some sort of membership maybe thru bag tags etc. A page for that
A voting link where whenever it's time to vote on something or the Bod or whatever we can go here. Having a membership would be good for this cuz if we has a number and a specific email is linked to that number, a unique URL can be sent to them to vote. This could prevent people from voting a million times and also let others vote who may not be at the championships
A contact link
Questions link
A courses link
One Thing the pdga has I think is pretty cool is a media link. It would be fun to read articles written on people you play with.
A paypal link like dillon said
Pictures as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 07:38PM by JBrowntown7.
Anonymous User
August 08, 2012 07:54PM
Trackin01 Wrote:
> If not, why
> bother voting?

I agree Trackin except I think you meant "why bother voting more than a few times?" LOL

I plan on voting early and often just like my homey Putin

August 08, 2012 09:46PM
JBrowntown7 great post and currently you have my vote. It seems like a no brainer if your the only thus far going to send out some interesting information about what you want to do. Here is a little advise. Don't fill your plate with so much work up front. Pick at least two of your ideas and really focus on them. Then you will have a better chance a perfecting them.

Here is something to think about: Ratings and SN Players number. As much as I would like for this to happen, I think this is a least priority for you. I just ran the Arkansas Amateur Showcase which was PDGA and had a few players ask if they could participate in certain divisions, but based on their rating they were not allowed. They would've killed that division for sure. On the other hand, I had a player who plays SN only and participated in the Rec division. He has been playing this division for over a year now, he tied for 1st place and would've place well in intermediate for sure. The bagging issue is completely hopeless to beat, but you can reduce it a bit. I don't think SN is ready to make such a move a this point. The day will come when something will happend though.

Here is an idea(s) that I believe is more important that others. Create a website that is worth using and make it easy to use. Not trying to make it better than the PDGA cause this isn't too hard to do. Just have an option to place pictures on a front page blog talking about big tournaments that happened over the weekends. Who will write them? Well you might be shocked at how many players/TD's will do this for you. Have an option to have online sign ups, have an option for TD's to add their own results to the website so Mr. Kittrell doesn't have to waste his entire day to catch up on excel files and uploading them. Dude does have a life beyond all of that.

Idea #2: Promote Southern Nationals. The season ends May 31 each year! Piggyback off of the PDGA and their big events that are hosted on discgolflive.tv and place a promo ad on one of their commercials. "But what about the cost?" Who gives a crap about the cost! Get these players in the know and push for advertising. They won't attend an SN event or think about hosting them if you don't show them or plant the seed. Make sure you add how much money is added to the championships, payout for 2012, and other perks that a championship will bring. Have Shane Seal do a promo commercial for you or contact fullblowndiscgolf.com to do one for you. Once you start planting seeds in these big events on TV/Internet, then you have set SN much forward than it is now. Example: I attended the Minnesota Majestic this summer and talked about SN and events that I've hosted and attended. I was shocked to find that MANY local Minnesota players have never heard of Southern Nationals. Something to think about...........

Thats all for now.
August 08, 2012 11:01PM
If I am elected one of many things that I would like to focus on is making payouts universal across the board for all tournies. Want to create a file that every TD can use to see how deep in each division to pay out according to how many players that is in each division. I don't think that should be something a TD should have to rack his/her brain over on tournament day.
Complete and publish the latest edition of the SN handbook...in hard copy and also on our website..also we need to make the old edition go away. As it stands now both editions can be viewed in some form or another. Also it would be awesome if all the BOD understood and could explain the rules correctly when asked.
I do feel that a rating system can be used in the SN..I think we should do a trial run using 1 division for maybe a 6 month time frame and see how it goes.
I think that we are in need of a new website but I think the new board will need to find inventive ways to limit the cost of this as far as the players are concerned. The SN has always been about the players and we have gotten away from that on some levels. If players are not having fun and still having to shell out more and more money, the attitude will continue to deteriorate.
Another thing I intend to address is the pricing of prizes as payout across the southern nationals.. At one point there was a " fair market value " clause . We have gotten away from that on many levels...everyone knows what a disc costs and when it's priced $3 more in one payout than it was the week before, it is really noticed..this keeps players from coming back to that event the next year.
One thing for sure and certain , if we as the BOD don't operate as one and communicate with the TDs,players,sponsors then we are going to fail miserably . I do believe that each board member should have a specific job as a board member...a treasurer.. Handle all finances...a reporter ...report all meetings and any new news in the SN..a tour manager..to schedule and maintain the upcoming events...division manager..to police players playing in the wrong division..this possibly could take 2 managers ..on the heels of that we also need to set on place a disiplinary protocall for players that continue to play down in divisions.I know that this is usually not identified until after the player has played down and payed out . We need to adopt disiplinary actions for after the fact..for example .. 6 month probation and if probation is broke.. 6 month suspension and 1 year probation..I do believe this would go a long way to curb " sandbagging".
If anyone has any questions for me please feel free to ask..

Oh yea, Tackin surely you know me.. I played in ur event last weekend.. Came with the tupelo crew.
August 10, 2012 11:45PM
We are the players' series. I have one word to tell you about how to grow and improve our organization...Communication.

Here are the 3 areas I intend to focus on improving:

1. The website
2. SN handbook/TD Guide
3. SN Kiosk Newsletter

The Website

It is imperative that we build a new website. We are the players' series, so the website is invaluable for our opinions/ideas to be heard.

The website may seem like a frivolous investment up front, but it will become a cash cow if implemented correctly. We can sell advertising to businesses along with printable coupons. Perhaps we can allow businesses to post marketing surveys for a fee.

How can we attract business? By making the website more interesting, we will increase traffic. This may be the first question a business asks, " How many hits does your website get per day?". We need the website to have lots of bells and whistles to get our traffic up. I plan to put together a committee and/or use your ideas on ways to make the website more attractive for use. (as Kernan mentioned: delegation is a great tool, and I know we have some smart folks in our group)

Another way to attract businesses is to demonstrate our social awareness through our community service. We here in the SNs have a proud tradition of service to our community through fundraising and parks development. Businesses want to be associated with groups that are dedicated to community service. I would actually like to develop a coherent mission statement that includes an element of community service. Months ago I started a thread for TDs to post the donations of their fund-raising events. It didn't really catch on like I had hoped, but I think if we emphasize how important it is for our public relations, more TDs will get on board.

Example: You are approaching a business about sponsorship/advertising. You tell the business last year we donated x amount of dollars to this list of organizations in the southeast. It will help. Trust me.

Here's that link if you would like to check it out:

[www.sndg.org]

SN Handbook/TD Guide

What can I say that hasn't already been said above? This project needs to be completed. A copy should be reviewed by each club to be reviewed by a deadline set by the BOD, and it needs to be published. We need to get rid of all the digital fragments of rules floating around on our site and have one consistent set of guidelines. The TD guide should be included as a portion of the handbook, and should be available to all players.

I agree with Hudd above that there should be a standardization of payout scales for SN tournaments. In my opinion, the payouts for advanced players should be more attractive than payouts for intermediate players. This is just my opinion, and I will go with what the player's demand.

As far as hard copies go, I am not sure we need to get into the business of publishing handbooks just yet. After reviewing our finances, I would consider it if it seems feasible.

SN Kiosk Newsletter

I would like to delegate someone to put together a monthly newsletter that can be posted on all the kiosks in SN land. This will serve 3 functions. First, it will provide players in our region with information about Southern Nationals that they might not otherwise receive. Secondly, it will promote the new SN website and make our organization more visible. Lastly, we can generate revenue from advertisements purchased by businesses and clubs on the newsletter.

This is how it will work. Our newsletter delegate(s) will put together a newsletter of 2-4 pages containing information such as tournament results, player interviews, a club feature can be purchased for club announcements, upcoming events, etc... So, do we have any journalism or marketing students who would like to build their resume?

The newsletter will either be posted on the website in printable format or emailed to our SN couriers who are appointed by club members in each city to print them once a month and post them on their city's courses.

The newsletter will emphasize the website. I think we could give some journalism students or freelance writers an opportunity to post articles on the new website as well.

It's all about communication!

OK, so where do I weigh in on the bagging/ratings argument?

Bagging will never be eliminated, but it can be curbed. I agree there should be a vote by the players. No group of 6 people can make this decision for a group as large as the SNs and make everybody happy. I have suggested in the past that we keep the current points system to determine SN Championships eligibility, but use excel to develop a second stat for players called Winning Percentage. Your winning percentage would offer a clear indicator of how well you play in your current division. Some agreed upon winning % would be the criteria for whether or not it is time for a player to move up or down. It's just a simple idea I had a while back to curb bagging.

The following link will take you to that discussion:

[www.sndg.org]

In closing, I would like to wish everyone the best of luck in choosing the best candidates. It appears we have a great field of nominees, and I am excited to know that one way or another we are going to be in good hands.

Cheers,

Tommy Browning
August 11, 2012 06:04AM
I'm on my phone so I can't type ALL the changes I'd like to see, but I will talk about the few that need to be bumped to the front.
1. Website
Either our current website needs to be updated or a new one should be made. With all the smart phone technology now id also like to add a mobile site for sndg.
2. Rules
Have a clear set of rules posted on each forum with a sticky and a new rules handbook given out to all who buy sn tags or play sn championships, there needs to be no questions of sn rules.
3. Bagging
The old argument lol, we need a ratings system of our own and not one that mirrors pdga otherwise we are nothing but copycats and I also have a few ideas on how we could swing it.
4. Memberships
I think we should make a membership to sn worth wild. Like giving tag holders entry fee discounts to tournaments, maybe having different level of memberships where you may get a disc or shirt with your tag. Also having an annual members only tournament towards the end of each season. I feel like this would def bring in more $ the sn could use.
5. Points race
I feel lime competing all year the winners of the points race earn something more than just a disc....after playing over 40 sn tournaments last year & the prize was a disc I was like " was that worth it?". Also maybe change the points system up to where you dont HAVE to stay in a division when you should move up.
Just a few ideas of mine, would like to type more. VOTE EARLY VOTE OFTEN LOL.

2011 Adv Points Champion
2011 Am player of the year
Anonymous User
March 27, 2013 07:24PM
hudd Wrote:
> If I am elected one of many things that I would
> like to focus on is making payouts universal
> across the board for all tournies. Want to create
> a file that every TD can use to see how deep in
> each division to pay out according to how many
> players that is in each division. I don't think
> that should be something a TD should have to rack
> his/her brain over on tournament day.
> Complete and publish the latest edition of the
> SN handbook...in hard copy and also on our
> website..also we need to make the old edition go
> away. As it stands now both editions can be viewed
> in some form or another. Also it would be awesome
> if all the BOD understood and could explain the
> rules correctly when asked.
> I do feel that a rating system can be used in
> the SN..I think we should do a trial run using 1
> division for maybe a 6 month time frame and see
> how it goes.
> I think that we are in need of a new website
> but I think the new board will need to find
> inventive ways to limit the cost of this as far as
> the players are concerned. The SN has always been
> about the players and we have gotten away from
> that on some levels. If players are not having fun
> and still having to shell out more and more money,
> the attitude will continue to deteriorate.
> Another thing I intend to address is the pricing
> of prizes as payout across the southern
> nationals.. At one point there was a " fair market
> value " clause . We have gotten away from that on
> many levels...everyone knows what a disc costs and
> when it's priced $3 more in one payout than it was
> the week before, it is really noticed..this keeps
> players from coming back to that event the next
> year.
> One thing for sure and certain , if we as the
> BOD don't operate as one and communicate with the
> TDs,players,sponsors then we are going to fail
> miserably . I do believe that each board member
> should have a specific job as a board member...a
> treasurer.. Handle all finances...a reporter
> ...report all meetings and any new news in the
> SN..a tour manager..to schedule and maintain the
> upcoming events...division manager..to police
> players playing in the wrong division..this
> possibly could take 2 managers ..on the heels of
> that we also need to set on place a disiplinary
> protocall for players that continue to play down
> in divisions.I know that this is usually not
> identified until after the player has played down
> and payed out . We need to adopt disiplinary
> actions for after the fact..for example .. 6 month
> probation and if probation is broke.. 6 month
> suspension and 1 year probation..I do believe this
> would go a long way to curb " sandbagging".
> If anyone has any questions for me please feel
> free to ask..
>
> Oh yea, Tackin surely you know me.. I played in ur
> event last weekend.. Came with the tupelo crew.

How's that plan coming along Zack? Sure had some good ideas there.
April 01, 2013 02:51AM
I would like to throw my name into the Hat for Board Of Directors, here is what i have to say:

Why Me? Well lets talk real world experience and who I am. I currently work at Compucom Systems on a team of 70 guys spread throughout America, that communicate constantly via web-based chat, email, and telephone. So I am very well versed in working with others, in non face to face, electronic communications, and long distance teamwork. I run a production company and website as well, where I promote events and manage bookings for several artists, which has provided me great advertising and marketing skills, and contacts which are universal to all organizations. I have over a decade of Management experience, with highly trained supervisory skills. I am the President of the Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association, which has a board, just like the SN. I am an active Southern Nationals Tournament Director, with past and future tournaments during this season. I am a PDGA Member and PDGA Certified Official. Ok So what are my thoughts:
Well I will touch on the topics that people seem to be talking about.
1. The Website- Ok so the website needs some work and it needs some new features, but at a low cost correct? Done, I have a web designer and programmer who could easily create the website we are looking for with all the bells and whistles, and I have the ability to host it without having to pay for server storage.
2. Ratings-We can add a ratings calculator that is universal to all, and place it in a special place on the new webpage, for all players to figure out their own ratings, and if it's ever decided to incorporate ratings, I can get that added into a special tournament directors only portion of the webpage.
3.Universal across the board- I would have built into the webpage, a tournament directors only area, that would have pre-programmed universal spreadsheets for results, Payout calculators, Board Cards, rules, etc....
4. I have lots of thoughts about divisions, and the championship tournaments, and Baggers, and lots of different solutions to every problem. Thats right I said solutions, that I can easily present and work out with the board. Also have thoughts on brainstorming and board etiquette, here is a taste [www.sndg.org]
5. Simply I am passionate about disc golf, I am full of great idea's on how things can be be constantly improved, I am devoted to what I do and I get things done, I have already proven myself to quite a few tournament directors, and board members out there. I am weighed down by any personal politics, or past/present/future drama that is going on within the current SN. What i want is to make things precise, clearcut, universal, accessible, and acceptable by everybody, so that it actually grows the Divisions, the tournaments, the SN, and the sport. I would dedicate myself to the elimination of common problems, and strive to make the Southern Nationals the Premier tournament series it should be, I will throw myself into trying to create a buzz that causes tremendous turnouts and top name turnouts, and help every tournament director to put on a Tournament worth talking about it, and if necessary weed out some TD's that may be in it for the wrong reason.

Long Story Short- I am about Disc Golf, I am about Growing Disc Golf, I would absolutely Grow Disc Golf for the SN, I am about improving the Tournaments, Rules, Policy's, Procedure's, Handbooks, Website etc...
Last thing....I am about listening to what the players want, and then doing my best to make that happen

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
Anonymous User
April 01, 2013 07:23AM
There isn't an election... LOL.
April 01, 2013 10:27AM
Election for the next term will be up some time around the end of the season. Someone on the current BOD will start a tread with the info about the election process.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013