Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beginner help and questions

Posted by JBrowntown7 
Beginner help and questions
April 11, 2012 09:04PM
Okay so I'm a beginner and learning how to play strictly on my own with no advice. I have been looking on random sites trying to learn more about discs etc. To fill my bag I went and bought the following
Dx roc. 180
Champion rubbery roc. 180
Dx aviar. 175
Champion beast. 170
Champion monarch. 171
Champion roadrunner. 175
Champion boss. 175
Champion katana Feels like 175
Dx gator 171
Star xcaliber. 175
Dx orc. Lost it lol
Kc pro roc. Lost it

I throw the rocs really well. Throw the monarch and beast well. Did throw Orc well. Can't throw boss or caliber at all. Struggling with the katana. Throw roadrunner decent. Never use gator or aviar. I use roc to putt.
My current questions are these. True or false. Pro and dx go farther than champions because champions trade distance for durability and stability. ? Also pro and dx easier to throw for beginners rather than champions? I found that piece of info on a site. And a 160 beast better than a 170 because lighter is better for beginners????.

Would appreciate any recommendations or advice in discs or whatever u can think of.
50 replies better than one person so I have more to learn off of
Re: Beginner help and questions
April 11, 2012 09:08PM
I currently am about to buy a pro beast. Pro katana. Pro valkyre and another roc based on this info. So need other opinions so I do not waste money
April 11, 2012 09:10PM
Welcome to the sport and the site! I would say first, don't worry about the high speed stuff like the Boss, Xcaliber, or Katana. Put them away and worry about throwing your slower stuff first. Also, try to learn to putt with the Aviar. I think it will be beneficial in the long run. A good bag for now could be as follows:

DX Aviar
DX Roc
Champ. Beast
Champ. RoadRunner

The Aviar for putting and throwing. DX Roc for throwing upshots and off the tee. Champ Beast and Roadrunner for drivers. The Monarch and RoadRunner are a lot alike, but the RoadRunner is just a better mold in my opinion. Focus on each shot, watch as many videos as you can, and take advice from local pro's. Not sure what area you are from but I'm sure you can use some networking on here and meet up with some people to play. Good luck to you. I am by far not a pro, and this advice is just what I would do. I'm sure there are other opinions so just take this as what I would do.

I wish you the best.
April 11, 2012 09:13PM
yea the aviar just feels weird. and I am in the mobile area. Entered my first tournament recently at the Mobile city championships in Amateur division. did horrid and placed 34th out of 40. need to go to novice instead. lol
April 11, 2012 09:50PM
Putt and Approach with the DX Aviar.

The DX Roc is the most versital Mid Range ever made.

Only use the Roadrunner for when your trying to boom a big Anhyzer. Once you have it broke in, learn how to roll with it.

Get a Champion TeeBird and make it your go to driver. You'll get good distand and a reliable Hyzer flight pattern.

Get a Champion Sidewinder. Feels like a TeeBird but much straighter.

Take all your other discs out of your bag and leave them at the house.

Get to know these five discs well, really really well, before you decide to add more discs to your arsenal.

When that time comes start by adding another DX Aviar just like the one you have, then consider adding that KC Pro Roc and maybe new TeeBird.

Old School Rules!

Sincerely,
April 11, 2012 09:54PM
Don't know what hyzers and anhyzers really are. All I seem to know how to do is s curve. And my rocs just vear off to the right. (left handed). See I'm naive in the basics lol
April 11, 2012 10:05PM
Innova drivers, Teebird, Leopard, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, and Valks should fly best look into lighter weights for now say 165g. Maybe a wraith for left turning shot (right hand backhand)

Midrange Roc's and Mako's work will Gator will turn hard and will take some time to get good with it.

Putters no matter what you use get a 3 of them so you can really work on your putting, It is the most important part of the game.

Discraft disc...Drivers, Avenger SS, Surge SS, Stalker..... Midrange Buzzz, Wasp, Glide, and Meteor

I would suggest working on parts of game over just going and playing a round. Do 20 mins of short putting, no more then 25 feet until your sinking 90% of your putts. Then work on upshots say 120 feet away and try to land within 15 feet for 30 mins or so, and maybe least important driving just work on being smooth and accurate.
April 12, 2012 03:23PM
One of the essential skills for improving your game is putting. Get a practice basket. I would suggest one of the portable metal/fabric models. Experiment and find a putter that works for you. Once you have settled on a putter get at least four more exactly like it of the same weight. Then practice, practice practice in your back yard. With five identical discs you can spend your time working on your putt rather than wearing yourself out chasing plastic. Practicing with different discs is counterproductive.

When practicing your putt do not throw at the basket. Instead focus on a particular link in the chain. Hit the link and nail the putt. Even if you are a little off you have still nailed the putt. Miss the basket and you miss the basket.

If investing in a basket is not something you want to do right now, then make one. My first practice basket was made from an old wooden hatrack and a wash tub with chopped up water hose handing from a trash can lid. When you get home from work throw 50 putts every day. You will be surprised at how many strokes this will take off your game.

Gary Wagoner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 03:24PM by Gary Wagoner.
April 12, 2012 03:35PM
Gary
My first practice basket was made from an old wooden hatrack and a wash tub with chopped up water hose handing from a trash can lid.

NICE!!!! I would love to see a pic of it!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
April 12, 2012 03:59PM
Check this web page out and it will show you what all the numbers mean on the disc and what there normal flight paths are.

[www.innovadiscs.com]

I am not a power thrower, so disc that go hard left are not good for me. I like beast, Katana's Teebirds.

Power throwers --- like stable stuff Bosses and Detroyers are supers stable (going hard left) look at the chart and you will see!!!

good luck
peanut butter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 04:03PM by pbgolfpb.
April 13, 2012 01:06PM
A mix between lighter and heavy dx drivers are perfect for beginners. Lighter because, if thrown properly, will s-curve a little. As the heavier dx disc get beat in the too will do the same.

Terry Zeringue
April 14, 2012 02:12PM
If you're in the Mobile area and have the time, come out to the Baker course on Thursday afternoons. I'm usually up there with the students around 3:30 playing a fun round, then we have the $5 toss at 5:15. We have a good group of guys out there for the toss that can give you some pointers.

Definitely work on throwing your Rocs. Being able to switch between midranges and drivers on particular holes and distances has helped my game tremendously.

At this point, I wouldn't try throwing anything with a wide rim. If you can, pick up a Leopard and TeeBird. These are smaller rim drivers that require less technique to push far distances on drives. The TeeBird will be stable for you (hook to the left for a righty), and the Leopard should hold a pretty straight line unless you have good snap.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
April 14, 2012 08:59PM
i may come out there then on thursdays.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013