Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

pdga vs sndg?

Posted by JBrowntown7 
pdga vs sndg?
July 10, 2012 02:09PM
any difference between these?
Re: pdga vs sndg?
July 10, 2012 03:24PM
you don't know what you just done =/
July 10, 2012 03:26PM
wrong idea to ask this...
July 10, 2012 03:58PM
I wonder if Bluff has any thoughts on the matter?
July 10, 2012 04:07PM
like comparing Ron White to Adolph Hitler
July 10, 2012 04:19PM
Here we go again...

What is the Southern Nationals?
The Southern Nationals is a series of tournaments throughout the South that concludes with the finals in a different city each year. You don't have to join anything and anybody can hold a qualifier.

Do I have to join?
No, there is no membership neccessary to participate in a Southern Nationals event.

When are the finals held?
The Pro finals are traditionally held on Labor Day Weekend. The Am finals are normally two weeks before the Pro finals. The season runs from June 1 - May 31.

Why does it have to be "versus"?
PDGA = governing body of disc golf. They make the rules of play. We play by those rules.
SN = Non membership requiring tournament series. $2 from every player at SN qualifiers goes back to Southern National Championship in some form or fashion.

Jamie "Massive J" Massengale
July 10, 2012 05:52PM
PDGA = National organization that has full time employees that run the PDGA
SNDG = Regional series all admin functions are performed by non paid volunteers.

PDGA = The PDGA is a national disc golf organization, sanctioning PDGA tournament throughout the United States and even outside the US.
SNDG= The SN Series sanctions tournaments mainly the Southeast USA.

PDGA = They have a membership that allows players to play in PDGA tournaments. You can be a non-PDGA member and play in some of their lower tiered tournaments but they usually charge a $10 nonmember fee.
SNDG = no membership is required for regular SN tournaments throughout the SN season. The SN Championships (Pro / Am / Doubles) does require that you played in a SN qualifier to get the required 2 points for the SN Championship.

PDGA = PDGA fee is paid to the PDGA for each player at a PDGA sanctioned tournament (typically $3 per player). Not sure what the PDGA fees are used for.
SNDG = SN fee is paid to the PDGA for each player at a PDGA sanctioned tournament (typically $2 per player). $1.75 of each $2 goes back to that division at either the SN Pro Championship or SN Am Championship (Doubles tournament fees go toward the SN Doubles Championship). The remaining $.25 of the $2 goes to a SN board funds that pays for SN expenses (end of the year awards, points discs, bag tags).

PDGA = Larger overarching goals of not only sanctioning tournaments but promoting/increasing awareness of disc golf on a national level.
SNDG = We just sanction tournaments

I'm sure there are a lot more differences and some other similarities. Both are good organizations with different stuctures and end goals.....

JOhn k
July 10, 2012 06:54PM
...here we go again
July 10, 2012 07:56PM
no we don't have to go here again; good job john.
July 10, 2012 08:31PM
lol why here we go again?
July 11, 2012 02:14AM
Great responses. Informative and wise. Transcend. No opposites, no conflict.
Dex
July 11, 2012 07:05AM
I will just go with

''The SPELLING''

Dex
July 11, 2012 08:48AM
No conflict or threats yet???? I'm confused...
July 11, 2012 10:05AM
So what's the difference between re point systems in both? Or are they the same thing
July 11, 2012 10:08AM
I do wish that sndg had recreational like pdga tho. Going from novice to amateur is like saying hello last place and goodbye money
July 11, 2012 10:10AM
That would just be another division for baggers to hang out in.
July 11, 2012 10:16AM
Yeah but it would make it easier on newer players. It's depressing to go up to am and get like next to last place because they have been playing for years and u maybe a Minh or 2
July 11, 2012 10:38AM
Right. The actual problem lies in the incentive to move up the ranks/divisions to advanced in that there are currently no incentives other than pride and the desire to play up. There is no reason to move to advanced amateur from intermediate amateur as there is no difference in payout scale. When you talk about moving from advanced to professional, the reason to move up becomes laughable unless you can consistently place top 2 in Open. This effect trickles all the way down to intermediate/novice which is why people stay in these divisions for years on end, thus discouraging new players from getting into the tournament scene.
July 11, 2012 10:46AM
I definitely agree with u.
July 11, 2012 10:48AM
Well said Adam!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
July 11, 2012 10:49AM
But what is a solution?
July 11, 2012 10:51AM
In a lot of tournaments intermediate gets more plastic than the 1st place open gets in cash....thats incentive to move down in my oppinion.
July 11, 2012 11:03AM
Why not do a ratings thing like pdga. And enforce a minimum rating per division
July 11, 2012 11:18AM
I do not think SN could compete with PDGA if we get a ratings system.
July 11, 2012 11:34AM
Meaning?
July 11, 2012 11:37AM
Ratings have been brought up many times and the last time we almost had a deal that would have worked...almost.

Biggest issue is that nobody would do it for free and alot of SN players don't want to pay for it. I would still like to see ratings be done, but I think the SN fee would need to be raised to $3 and Rec would need to become an offical division.
July 11, 2012 11:39AM
No use in having 2 different disc golf series if they are the same except one offer's more. SN will not be able to offer as much as pdga because there is less income.
July 11, 2012 11:59AM
Having ratings wouldn't be to do things like the PDGA. It would be to do things correctly.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
July 11, 2012 12:04PM
no use in having different kinds of gas station if they both sell the same thing.
but there is lol

it would just be two organizations coexisting. People would still play in both.

my personal opinion is pdga is a lil more "professional" because of the ratings and different divisions so a little bit more fair.. However the sndg tournaments have always had more people show up. SO obviously more fun with more people.
July 11, 2012 12:05PM
there are bound to be people that would do a ratings system without forcing people to pay them much. If i knew how to do it I wouldnt charge that much at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013