Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ratings etc

Posted by JBrowntown7 
Ratings etc
July 13, 2012 09:05AM
So who exactly is in charge of deciding if we went to a ratings system or not? Who would have to be convinced? Why not try and move towards it somehow.
Re: Ratings etc
July 13, 2012 09:26AM
I think its more older people that don't like the ratings and younger people like the ratings (appears that way). There is a lot of people that want ratings but you would probably have a better chance at just playing/hosting pdga events if you want rating. A lot of people in mississippi doesn't like pdga because of the non member fee because it isn't worth paying 40 or 70 dollars for 3 or 4 events that you have to travel to. Mississippi has hosted more pdga events than i have ever seen it do...i believe its just a matter of time that the sn will either die or figure out that there needs to be changes done. I would not want to see SN go, but SN hasn't progressed much since i started.
July 13, 2012 09:36AM
Personally I just say whoever is in charge of it just set it up, do a membership and the people who dont like it can get over it and buy a membership.

I just read the entire nomination topic for the BoD. was kinda disappointed in all the negativity in it and it seems like nothing really happens. Personally I wish I could help out but I would just be a workhorse. Dont know how to do ratings etc and being only 22, unqualified, and fairly new to the game of Disc golf I am still naive and unaware how things work here.
July 13, 2012 10:08AM
COME ON MAN!!!!

dustin morris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think its more older people that don't like the
> ratings and younger people like the ratings
> (appears that way). There is a lot of people that
> want ratings but you would probably have a better
> chance at just playing/hosting pdga events if you
> want rating. A lot of people in mississippi
> doesn't like pdga because of the non member fee
> because it isn't worth paying 40 or 70 dollars for
> 3 or 4 events that you have to travel to.
> Mississippi has hosted more pdga events than i
> have ever seen it do...i believe its just a matter
> of time that the sn will either die or figure out
> that there needs to be changes done. I would not
> want to see SN go, but SN hasn't progressed much
> since i started.

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
July 13, 2012 10:10AM
lol im reading up on older forums about this topic. actually quite entertaining
July 13, 2012 10:45AM
Thats just my opinion man. SN has to think about the disc golfers. There is no sponsored professional that only plays SN. SN has to think of the players and get our player's names out there. No one in sn will get a sponsor because there is no record of talent per player. Majority of our series points leaders is people that blow their money traveling instead of their talent. I believe we should just have a vote at our championships to see who would be interested in ratings or something of the sort. I believe the results of people wanting ratings will beat people not wanting ratings. If that is the case, it will eventually cause SN to fall or change because of the player's demand.

Keith Bodin Wrote:
> COME ON MAN!!!!
>
>
> dustin morris Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think its more older people that don't like
> the
> > ratings and younger people like the ratings
> > (appears that way). There is a lot of people
> that
> > want ratings but you would probably have a
> better
> > chance at just playing/hosting pdga events if
> you
> > want rating. A lot of people in mississippi
> > doesn't like pdga because of the non member fee
> > because it isn't worth paying 40 or 70 dollars
> for
> > 3 or 4 events that you have to travel to.
> > Mississippi has hosted more pdga events than i
> > have ever seen it do...i believe its just a
> matter
> > of time that the sn will either die or figure
> out
> > that there needs to be changes done. I would
> not
> > want to see SN go, but SN hasn't progressed
> much
> > since i started.
July 13, 2012 11:24AM
JBrowntown7 Wrote:
> So who exactly is in charge of deciding if we went
> to a ratings system or not? Who would have to be
> convinced?

Tournament Directors
July 13, 2012 11:37AM
jbrowntown, i think your just beating a dead horse, if you get my coonassism
July 13, 2012 12:15PM
im fairly new. so i never knew.
July 13, 2012 04:15PM
It's kind of like a college football playoff. Beat the horse enough and people may finally wise up.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
Anonymous User
July 13, 2012 06:39PM
Browntown here is the correct answer:

The SN BoD would decide whether to pay for ratings.

Why not move towards it? Well, ratings are overrated. But, they can be done quite inexpensively. They are not difficult to calculate either; if you can do basic 10th-grade algebra you can compute them. Of course if you read these forums you will notice that there are a lot of posters who lack such an education.
July 13, 2012 09:52PM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> Browntown here is the correct answer:
>
> The SN BoD would decide whether to pay for
> ratings.
>
> Why not move towards it? Well, ratings are
> overrated. But, they can be done quite
> inexpensively. They are not difficult to calculate
> either; if you can do basic 10th-grade algebra you
> can compute them. Of course if you read these
> forums you will notice that there are a lot of
> posters who lack such an education.

I personally think the SN score is overrated. At least most people can understand what a rating means and it helps prevent a lot of bagging.
July 14, 2012 12:01PM
If you guys don't know, the BOD recently inquired to the PDGA and Chuck Kennedy "who is one of the masterminds of the PDGA Ratings" and they decided not to peruse the issue of ratings for SN. However they did offer to organize some sort of system the SN "Not sure what that was" and the BOD turned it down. In the end nothing was done. I read this on a dgcoursereview thread and it's in the PDGA meeting notes.

On a side note, ratings are not perfect bagging still occurs. Yes it is fun to play events and see how you scored in ratings. It's fun to see if you increased them. You don't need a rating to determine if you played poorly or not. That can help "possibly" in getting noticed or sponsored, but ultimately it's how you perform at larger PDGA events like worlds, USDGC, National Tour events, and more. I'm for a rating system and it's been talked about a lot on the forums, but again it boiled down to the tournament directors wanting to pay and extra $1 per player at the events to have them. SN BOD did not or are not interested in adding it to the SN policy of hosting events. Like $3 per player at all SN events instead of the $2.
The points erned by playing SN events will get you a chance to play the championships, run for the BOD, and host a Championship. If you score the most points you get your name on a disc sent to you in the mail.

Hope that helps
July 14, 2012 04:49PM
There needs to be a rating system but like cajun warrior said its like beating a dead horse and i myself have went to playing pdga events because i want a chance to play worlds next year and two i can play any sn championship thats easy but playing in the worlds requires more and ill tell ya another thing ive had to play harder to win against these pdga fellas i been facing cause its better competition :-) yall have a good one :-) peace
July 14, 2012 05:30PM
All these posts are really making me hate the BoD and I dot even know who they are. I've read alot of topics in this forum lately and literally everyone is negative about them.
July 14, 2012 06:23PM
JBrowntown7 Wrote:
> All these posts are really making me hate the BoD
> and I dot even know who they are. I've read alot
> of topics in this forum lately and literally
> everyone is negative about them.

I just want to say since you are new to this forum and have been posting like crazy...............don't jump on the band wagon. The SN has had some fishy BOD and some great ones. They come and go like all volunteers. They get burned out, they lose interest, or they exceed our expectations. Regardless, you have to have a thick skin to be on the BOD and take what is spoken on here.

Nothing is going to be perfect and not everyone is going to be happy. Remember there are thousands of SN players and only a few actually post/read the forum page.

The topic of pdga vs SN shouldn't be a "vs" b/c they are nothing alike and will probably never be. They focus of each series is different in many eyes and everyone has a different opinion of why either is better than the other. I feel that changing any of the older players minds will never happen, but might have success in a new player. Since your going to Mobile, Alabama...........you might have little success in promoting the PDGA in that area. SN runs deep in Mobile. You might have to drive over to Florida for a PDGA event.

Good Luck
July 14, 2012 06:49PM
The purpose of the topic wasn't meant to be a vs. I was trying to see the differences in the two and why SN didn't have ratings too. As soon as people read the forum I could see that it was a touchy subject and became chaotic. Wasn't expecting it to. And yea I tend to post alot in things I care about. I am really hands on and like trying to be a part of things. Lol. Before the summer I was involved in SN tourneys. Which is what got me hooked. During the summer I became associated with pdga because it is bigger in north Alabama. Which is where the topic came in. Was curious in the differences.
And on the BoD. I'm sure it's 50/50 just like everything is. My point was everything was really negative towards them. However I agree with u. And understand what you are saying. No one will ever be completely satisfied

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 06:53PM by JBrowntown7.
Anonymous User
July 14, 2012 07:57PM
JBrowntown7 Wrote:
> All these posts are really making me hate the BoD
> and I dot even know who they are. I've read alot
> of topics in this forum lately and literally
> everyone is negative about them.

Next BOD term there will have the second coming of John K, his name is Robby Harris. I'm sure they will get more accomplished than an SN shirt.
Anonymous User
July 14, 2012 09:01PM
Ethan Wrote:

> I personally think the SN score is overrated. At
> least most people can understand what a rating
> means and it helps prevent a lot of bagging.

LoL I didn't think anyone even cared about the SN score at all!

Don't get me wrong...ratings are entertaining even though they don't prevent bagging. And I think they can be done for the SN for rather cheap. Investing a small portion of the yearly SNAC funds to generate ratings would do the SN all kinds of good, rather than over-rewarding the baggers at the SNAC. Dangit, why didn't I run for the BoD again? It would just take the smallest of efforts to get ratings for the SN.
July 15, 2012 03:02PM
Trackin01
I'm for a rating system and it's been talked about a lot on the forums, but again it boiled down to the tournament directors wanting to pay and extra $1 per player at the events to have them. SN BOD did not or are not interested in adding it to the SN policy of hosting events. Like $3 per player at all SN events instead of the $2.

Instead of making it a requirement for TD's, why not doing an experiment and make it an option? The BOD could put some money aside for a ratings system, create a table showing the ratings for each division, and let TD's decide if they want to use it.

If TD's use it, players would have to pay the $3 fee and play in their rating assigned divisions. They would then get a rating for the tournament.

If TD's don't use it, players would pay the normal $2 fee and play in whatever division they qualify for according to the current policy. And of course, they wouldn't get a rating for the tournament.

Try this for a little while and see how things work out. If attendance increases for tournaments with ratings and decreases for those without, then that shows players are willing to pay $1 extra because they want a ratings system for one reason or another (just to have it, decrease bagging, etc). If attendance doesn't increase for those tournaments, then it would show that ratings aren't important for the majority of the SN community and the BOD has no reason to change to it.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
July 15, 2012 03:50PM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> Ethan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I personally think the SN score is overrated.
> At
> > least most people can understand what a rating
> > means and it helps prevent a lot of bagging.
>
>
> LoL I didn't think anyone even cared about the SN
> score at all!

That's why I said its overrated... I'm not saying will prevent bagging but I think it will help

Mississippi State Disc Golf
July 16, 2012 11:42AM
Bluff Magee Wrote:

> Don't get me wrong...ratings are entertaining even
> though they don't prevent bagging. And I think
> they can be done for the SN for rather cheap.
> Investing a small portion of the yearly SNAC funds
> to generate ratings would do the SN all kinds of
> good, rather than over-rewarding the baggers at
> the SNAC.
Dangit, why didn't I run for the BoD
> again? It would just take the smallest of efforts
> to get ratings for the SN.

I think this is the way to go, it's mostly AM's that want and need ratings anyway. I wouldn't even do ratings for the PRO's.
Anonymous User
July 16, 2012 07:05PM
You would probably want to include the pros though, they have a tendency to play more tournaments so they will help determine the ratings better than using just ams.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013