Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

putting with a roc

Posted by JBrowntown7 
putting with a roc
July 13, 2012 03:20PM
So i have been playing since january. Have gotten alot better over the last 2 months, well in my opinion. However I still putt with a Roc. I could never get used to the Aviar cuz of the rim. I liked the firmer and sharper edge. Now my putting is not exactly spectacular but its decent. Im normally 100% from at least 15 feet. lol not very far but eh oh well. I like the roc because it seems straighter and i can putt harder, and again the rim. I am horrid at long putts. every now and then i make one from 12 yards away but rarely ( meaning any farther than that, i lay up). I dont have the strength to putt on a line so i loft it.

anyways my point is. Is putting with a Roc going to kill me in the long run. a bad habit? or is it fine since it is personal preference.
my pdga rating based on one tourny was 860. to give u an idea of what skill level im at for better advice. So far I have played novice in 2 tournys . and i played with a friend twice in the amateur division .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2012 03:26PM by JBrowntown7.
Anonymous User
Re: putting with a roc
July 13, 2012 06:30PM
I don't think it will hurt you to keep putting with a Roc.

When it gets windy I put my Aviar away and putt with a Roc. And, Rocs are better long-range (outside 50-60 feet) putters as well.
July 13, 2012 09:56PM
Well the Roc will fade left a little harder than an avian will mainly because it's a mid range and it takes more spin for it to fly straight. So that might hurt you in the long run or you might get comfortable with it. And if you get comfortable putting with a Roc you might be able to make a lot more long putts further down the line.

I know several people that putt with Rocs or other mid ranges and are very good at it

Mississippi State Disc Golf
July 13, 2012 10:58PM
A DX Wedge is almost a midrange grip, but it is a putter. You could also move away from throwing just Innova plastic. Putting does not come quick for most people, you just need steady practice with one type of putter. I would suggest buying 3 of the same type of putter and just spend 15 mins before each round practicing putts within 30 feet.
July 14, 2012 12:55AM
I think one of the reasons you're laying up outside of 12 yards (not that far away, really) is that, with a Roc, one of the effects is that when you miss, your disc skips and slides farther away from the basket, and you've come to expect a longer comeback putt as a result of "going for it." This is the reason that a lot of players will choose a putter for anything within putter driving range. When you miss, you don't miss as badly.

I know a lot of people who putt with mid-range discs and even drivers (James T. being a glaring example), but if I were you, I'd start practicing with a putter. There are a lot of models that aren't as cumbersome as an Aviar seems to be for some people. Just work on it until you get used to it.

Having said that, I agree with Mikey that a mid-range is possibly more suited in high wind. I use my stable putter for that, but playing against a strong wind is something that, in my experience, takes a lot of experience in getting used to regardless of what you use.
July 14, 2012 10:30AM
You might like the way a Wedge feels over an Aviar
July 14, 2012 11:07AM
blueboy yes alot of times i worry about passing that. I do go too far when i miss sometimes. I have a wedge. have tried it. My putting style is this. since I have no clue how people putt so hard from a long distance away and on a straight line i loft. Im guessing the reason is strength. When i say i loft, i push my middle finger into the center of the disc and push straight up. the further away i am, the higher i loft and it drops right into the basket. i rarely go for the chains . The only reason i do this is cuz im more accurate that way and because of what blueboy said. If i loft i dont shoot past the basket.
If i could learn one thing I wish i could put on a straight line from a long distance away. But not strong enough to do so. If i could do that i think i could use an aviar. even tho it feels slow and the rim makes it harder to control to me

and yes 12 yards not that far, but for me being that im only 6 months in. I still have difficulty with that distance. I taught myself how to play. Dont have anyone to teach me lol

oh and the two tournys where i lost my roc in the water, my disc i ended up putting with the duration of the day was a gator. cuz of the rim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 11:10AM by JBrowntown7.
July 14, 2012 11:13AM
i think putting with a roc is fine.....rick chriswell putts with rocs all the time and he is a really good open player.
Anonymous User
July 14, 2012 09:10PM
JBrowntown7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If i could learn one thing I wish i could putt on a
> straight line from a long distance away. But not
> strong enough to do so. If i could do that i think
> i could use an aviar. even tho it feels slow and
> the rim makes it harder to control to me

Have you tried spinning your putter when you release it? That's what I do to get a straight line. When you do it right, at the point of release your fingers point straight at the basket like this

The more spin you get the straighter the flight.
July 14, 2012 10:24PM
Great example mikey!
July 15, 2012 08:52AM
XD, Classic Roc, One of the Latitude Putters Spike I think have lips that are more narrow and midrange like.
July 15, 2012 11:07AM
Spin putt does provide a straighter flight, but it requires exact precision due to the movements involved which add to the probability of error.

Push putt minimizes the chance of error.
Anonymous User
July 15, 2012 05:06PM
I use a wedge, I have two first run star wedges.
July 15, 2012 06:38PM
great post puff boy; but i still hate you. just kidding friend.
July 15, 2012 09:05PM
Matt looks tired.

BMB
Anonymous User
July 15, 2012 09:12PM
he's tired of all the Mobile baggers like you B Hole LoL
July 15, 2012 09:13PM
Jbrowntown- one player who comes to mind who putts with a Roc regularly is a player from Memphis. His name is Ricky Chriswell........take a look at his previous stats over the years...........he is a solid player for sure. Putting with a Roc helps for sure expecially in the wind and when you need that hyzer putt. Do what you have to do in order to reach that basket. If its comfortable for you then keep up the good work. Regardless, everyone has their own style and putter. Over the years, I have switched different putters until I finally reached a putter that works for me. The JK Aviar is my choice, but Omega Super Soft was my previous choice "until they started getting extra soft and I lost interest" Again, its all about the feel of the putter to me that makes the difference.

Have you touched the "Pure" from Latitude 64? It has a small rim and is getting popular quick.
July 15, 2012 10:28PM
the only discs ive ever used are innova. and a cryztal buzz. which i didnt like. But as of right now im perfectly fine with putting with my roc. Was just wondering if it may hurt me in long run. If not. im gonna continue doing so.
July 16, 2012 08:10AM
Like everyone else has said, do what works for you until it stops working. In the mean time, watch other players that seem to have a style similar to you or that you think could work for you. The only problem I have with putting with a roc is that it sometimes will skip out as it is more firm than most putters. It's not as grippy of plastic so it doesn't always seem to grab the chains. My preference is a JK-Pro Aviar. One is not necessarily better than the other, it's just what is better for you. If it feels right, then use it! And it is a lot of wrist action and less arm for longer, straighter putts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013