Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SN Fee price raise?

Posted by Eric Day 
Anonymous User
Re: SN Fee price raise?
July 16, 2012 06:13PM
JBrowntown7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paying an extra dollar is not that big of a deal
> for an am. I'm in college and flat out broke and
> still dont see that as a big deal. And if they
> were disappointed about not being able to bag then
> it serves them right? THey shouldn't bag in the
> first place. Them being " disappointed " shouldn't
> be justifying no ratings

Now listen up Browntown. An extra dollar is a 50% tax increase. But I just explained how ratings can be done without charging extra. The SN collects around $14-15,000 per year...then blows about 50% of that ($7000) at the SNAC. The SNAC would be just as awesome with as little as $3000 added but just lopping off $2000 or $1000 for ratings that last all year would be a way better value to the SN ams.

Go and read up on the SN financials at this thread:

[www.sndg.org]

So Browntown see if you can manage a little 15k budget. Give us your idea of how 15k should be spent.
July 16, 2012 06:20PM
No i agree with you, there is no need for that much money to be raised for the website etc. I was addressing the post about "Ams dont want ratings enough to where they would pay a small fee for them" Im saying that say if that fee was a dollar a tourny. 90% if not all would pay it. was replying to discjazz

Discjazz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spending SNAC funds on ratings could still be an
> over-allocation if the benefit is less than the
> "small price". My guess is that it is only a
> minority of the Ams who want ratings bad enough to
> pay for them
and most of those Ams would be
> disappointed with the anti-bagging impact.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 06:22PM by JBrowntown7.
Anonymous User
July 16, 2012 06:22PM
Well, you are high if you think 90% would pay an extra dollar. But there's nothing wrong with that.
July 16, 2012 06:22PM
im high then lol.

i really dont see the difference between 20$ and 21$

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 06:28PM by JBrowntown7.
Anonymous User
July 16, 2012 06:40PM
If you play 20 tournaments it's $20. You could buy a lot of beer with that. College girls love beer.

I mean come on Browntown...would you rather have 20 beers for some college babes to shotgun or would you rather have a disc golf rating? No contest, give me the college beer girls any day of the week!

So was learning the budget too much to ask of you Browntown? You're not a business major I guess. No one would have to pay anything extra if you follow the plan.
July 16, 2012 06:48PM
Why would i reply to something that i agreed with u on in the first place?
But anyways thats a poor logic. How do you know what that dollar may go to. What if you bought a drink a day for 2$. After a year thats 730$. You could go do plenty of things with that money couldnt you? The fact of the matter is, you can say oh if i didnt spend on this specific thing i could have this, any day of the week, but in reality thats probably never going to happen. You more than likely will go use that dollar to go buy a drink between rounds of that tournament or maybe a candybar.
July 16, 2012 06:53PM
And just to add to it, I have no problem using some of the money from the SNAC instead of charging an extra dollar
Anonymous User
July 16, 2012 06:54PM
Good, there is hope for you then LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 06:56PM by Bluff Magee.
July 16, 2012 08:55PM
Step 1 - Invest 100% of SN fees in leveraged inverse ETFs.

Step 2 - Appoint Bluff SN portfolio manager.

Step 3 - Profit.
Anonymous User
July 16, 2012 09:20PM
LOL...I am the 1%

July 16, 2012 10:48PM
I'm glad to hear opinions have changed since my ratings for a dollar thread.

[www.sndg.org]

I'll gladly pay the extra $1 or $2, but it won't cost me as much as Bluff. Let me know if I can help.
July 16, 2012 11:08PM
Im perfectly fine with the 1$ being permanent as long as that money was put to good use and we actually saw it in the works. But if that didnt work out, We could do it temporarily. Do it until we hit the mark for the cost of the website, then maybe do it every other month to keep the site running/ratings etc.

just an idea.
Dex
July 17, 2012 07:10AM
I SAY MAKE A BY-LAW AND GET IT DONE

or least less try it

seema as though there are several people who are willing to do the ratings , but they need to get paid

Dex
July 17, 2012 09:14AM
I may have made a few web sites but this would be beyond what I could do. I would think that a programmer/web person could write something that would automatically adjust the ratings. Players would have to have a SN number to make this happen.

When I change something on one of our web sites and then publish it - the only changes that occur are the pages that have changes in/on them. Would think that a program could be made that would do this and then also average the scores. At some point the averages could be compared to PDGA ratings. Say. Matt O. or Cam C has a SN have a total score 612 strokes after 9 rounds. Their average would be a 68. If you took my total score after 9 rounds (maybe a) 900 - my rating would be a 90. If their PDGA rating 1150 we could leap to the conclusion that a SN 68 would be some where in the neighborhood of a 1150 PDGA. Might also need to rate the coursed with a (?) ranking from hardest to easiest to also be worked into the formula to make it fair for the difficulty of each course. This might be a one time cost; we would have to have a SN spreadsheet to be used to turn in each tournament score that would be compatible with the SN rating program. Send scores to John K (or who ever is uploading them at the time) they import them to the new website and the program posts them and changes your rating after each event.

How to pay for it. Knowing that this is not going to be popular but this is just my opinion. Randeye "BOOM" Reynolds and I both support needing a SN bag tag to play in SN events. However, they would not have to be mandatory. If you charged a "Fee" to play if you did not have one. A lot like the $10 the PDGA charges in B-tier events for those who are not current PDGA members. SN bag tag would allow you unlimited SN events for $25, and if you only play a few events you could pay $2 to $3 to play individual ones. Turn in your bag tag to play or pay a fee and when you go home take home your new number

Go out and play around with Disc Golf Today!!

Steve Hollis
Destin/FWB FL

MANGO DISC GOLF @ mangodiscgolf.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 09:16AM by The Parker.
July 17, 2012 09:29AM
That's not bad about the bag tags. It actually gives everyone an incentive to buy them. But on ratings I think if we do them we shouldn't make up a new system. I say just use what the pdga uses. That way it's easier for sponsors to recognize how good a player is instead of making them try to figure out the difference between the two. Sponsors already familiar with the pdga ratings so that will be the first thing they base their decision on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 09:31AM by JBrowntown7.
July 17, 2012 10:06AM
I say an emphatic NO to an increase in the SN fees!! It is not needed for any reason.
July 17, 2012 10:33AM
So the main reason I have seen for receiving extra money is for a website, etc. I have someone who could do it for about 3000$. I showed her pdga's website and said, can you do it better than this one, with ratings and everything. This includes our own advertisements, our own domain, etc. No more ebay links at the top.
So just to get it going is that price. Based on what everyone has mentioned to raise money. These things have been said
Take it from SNAC
Raise the fee by 1$
Charity tournaments to just get it running
Make bag tags mandatory and use that money for it.
Use some of the money the SN already has

Say we did get it running, there would always be someone maintaining it, plus the ratings which may cost more. I think advertisements on the site alone could cover that cost.

Did i leave any options out?
I'm personally fine with any of these options
July 17, 2012 10:54AM
Ads should pay for a new website

As far as ratings, once you have a program/spreadsheet that will figure them is it just plugging in numbers? I have no idea how ratings are figured. I think that each BOD seat should have a job tied to it and when you run you know what will be your job for the seat you are filling. Inserting numbers to figure ratings should be one of the jobs, just like updating tourney results, schedules, etc... That would make the ratings FREE. Now I know the BOD is volunteer but you have to expect to have to do something other than show up for meetings and table topics til the next meeting. I also think that each BOD member should be able to appoint people to help with the job their seat holds, sort of like the committees idea that most everyone thought was a good idea (including me) but never got anywhere because the idea got tabled and died out.

Jason O
July 17, 2012 10:56AM
I like that, but getting the website in the first place is the hard part. Ads should keep it running.

and i like the committee idea.

Jacob Brown
University of Mobile, Mobile Al
July 17, 2012 11:20AM
The last tournament I ran in Wall Doxey had 82 players. At $3 for the park and $2 for SNDG thats $410 off the top. Another buck for SNDG totals $492 that would not be going to the players. A dollar here and a dollar there adds up quick.

Gary Wagoner
July 17, 2012 11:51AM
directly? no maybe not. But if its used to do something FOR the players i say its just as good

Jacob Brown
July 17, 2012 12:02PM
Personally I don't care whether we have ratings or not. I like them. I believe in the average score rating system concept. The design of a good system is more fun to me than having a rating. I'm just sick like that and can't help it.

If we are going to have ratings I would rather they be comparable to the global system (PDGA). The problem with that is that it requires sifting out PDGA ratings from their website for the SN event propagators. That is the most time consuming part of having ratings maintained as comparable to the global system.

One thing I've never understood about PDGA ratings is why player ratings are not designed to look like course ratings. Instead of Matt Orum being rated 1026 I would rate him at 51.4 if I could design the system. They would still be comparable to the global system with a simple math conversion. That's what I propose. I still want a dollar per entrant and I'm not going to argue about where the money comes from.

So I'm back where I started. I'll just shut up and throw.
July 17, 2012 12:09PM
lol I guess we wait and see what the BoD say about it

Jacob Brown
July 17, 2012 01:02PM
So if we charge an extra dollar the payout per event takes a hit, but the SNC's get a boost.
If we take money out of the SNAC's then the payout per event stays the same and the SNAC takes the hit.
July 17, 2012 01:20PM
the SNAC would take a bigger hit than the payouts though.

Jacob Brown
July 17, 2012 01:23PM
just charge the dollar. lol the SN is for everyone, and the BoD is voluntary. its not like they are charging more money for themselves. They are doing it to help the organization which of course benefits everyone.

Jacob Brown
July 17, 2012 02:24PM
I typed out 20 different smartalec remarks.

But, instead I'll keep it simple.

NO NEW TAXES!!!!!!!!!!
July 17, 2012 02:27PM
I just think we should have due regard for our Tds. If you look at this thread alone you have Bluff, Keith and Gary who are some of our better Tds and none of them think ratings are worth a dollar from every entry. I know personally of other Tds. It's wrong to try and shove it down their throats with a SN unfunded mandate. Notice they are fine with the Ams paying for all of it with SNAC funds. That's fine with me too but it is still evidence they don't think ratings are worth a dollar.

That's why I continue to argue it is not yet ripe for SN Bod action. It's up to the ratings-wanting players to convince the Tds or become the Tds. Once the Tds are securing ratings then the SN Bod can consider using them to enhance the fairness of the series competition. The ideal to me is eliminating all other division qualifications so that everybody is playing in a division of 10 or more with close scoring skill. I know that is pretty radical and honestly, I don't need any of that to enjoy what little tournament play I have time for. I'm fine with the way it is now, except we really can't enforce the rules we have without web site improvements. That is actually the priority rather than ratings.
July 17, 2012 02:35PM
If im not mistaken, I believe the extra dollar would be for exactly that. A website. The ratings were just mentioned along with it.

Jacob Brown
Anonymous User
July 17, 2012 03:00PM
I would never pay more than $2 per event.

Jbrowntown, I'm glad you are doing some much posting. Shows... Well, since you're "new" I won't even say it. Pure SN comedy!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ , Logan
Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013