Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!

Posted by ecotrex 
New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 01:54AM
Hiller Park, Biloxi's 1st public access Disc Golf Course, is operational!

Tucked away along Biloxi's back-bay is a challenging new disc golf course.

This 20 hole course, which includes an additional basket used for the "Game of 9's" putting game, should become a favorite for all who play here. The park is very well manicured and the course is balanced with a nice blend of left, right, short, & long holes. There are two sets of tee's now (Blue=Long/6856', Red=Short/5826'), with plans for an additional set of shorter tee's in the near future.

Please Note: Currently, hole 5 is not playable until some standing dead trees near the basket are removed. You must walk from hole 4's basket across hole 6's fairway to continue play. Also, the "Game of 9's" basket is not installed, as of now. The collars are in the ground and both baskets may be installed by the end of this week.


Park Overview Map, The Red & Blue Pins are tee locations along with matching color flight path lines, and the yellow pins are the baskets. The green lines indicate an alternate, risk-reward, flight path that had been adopted by some players.

The numbering is setup as an out and back if you start at hole #1 which is located near the pavilion. Alternatively, you could park near the basketball court/ playground area, play a quick "Game of 9's", start on hole # 16 and play through #7 (a 12 hole loop), hit the car and then finish #8 though #15 (an 8 hole loop).

Hole # Blue Tee/Red Tee Distance
1 261 207
2 348 300
3 315 222
4 234 189
5 306 282
6 333 261
7 402 324
8 333 279
9 309 288
10 384 333
11 514 444
12 342 282
13 279 219
14 549 495
15 369 324
16 507 456
17 264 216
18 294 258
19 291 261
20 222 186
Total 6856 5826
Average 342.8 291.3

Pavilion near hole #1


Hole #1 from the Blue Tee


Hole #1 from the Red Tee

More photos and a hole-by-hole course description will be coming soon.

Directions & Additional resources:
Hiller Park, Disc Golf Course Review

Scorecard from dgcoursereview
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 08:51AM
looks awesome!
can't wait to play it

ww
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 09:27AM
roadracerx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> looks awesome!
> can't wait to play it


x2
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 10:25AM
Great job!
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 11:29AM
Course is amazing
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 11:59AM
I apologize for not mentioning this in the first post:

Special Thanks to all who took time out of their lives to help make this course completion a success.

Assisted with course layout/design:
Josh Wenger
Tony Bass
Mike Smith
Will Wilkes

Assisted with vegetative removal and cleaning/clearing the course in order for the baskets to get installed:
Josh Wenger
Dan Smith
Ben Bartlett
Mike Smith
Robin Mosher
Chris Sigler
Elijah Burdine, age 7 (Son of C. Burdine)
Tony Bass
Steve Loposser.
Isaac Paura
KC "The Contractor"
Shane Hughes
Son of Shane Hughes (Name?, Sorry)
Bryan Holyfield
Will "Big-Willy" Wilkes
Jimmy Nyguen

This project/challenge was made easier, and this course was vastly improved, by the hard work and dedication of the individuals listed above. Each person made a difference by volunteering their time. Time that could have been used to play disc golf was donated so that numerous people could enjoy having another course available. This time, in a location that was desperately needing a public access course.

When you get the chance, be sure to thank them!


Chuck Burdine
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 12:09PM
Looks Great, Chuck! I have enjoyed playing it!
Anonymous User
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 14, 2012 04:34PM
Got to play it Saturday and it is pretty darn good...nice scenery. Should be a lot of fun when the winds pick up.
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 15, 2012 04:17AM
Looking forward to a trip over to Biloxi..Great work!!
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 16, 2012 09:32AM
Very nice course!! Bombers needed to score well.

Beautiful place for disc golf!

Great, great job Chuck!!
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 23, 2012 07:59PM
Yes I can't wait to visit that
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 23, 2012 08:07PM
Played it yesterday, got a little lost on a couple holes but it is a sweet course. Great job everyone who helped get this course put in the ground.
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 23, 2012 09:19PM
Looks awesome! Can't wait to play it! Good job!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 23, 2012 10:17PM
Looks great from the pictures! Can't wait to play it!
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 24, 2012 09:39AM
Eric Day Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Played it yesterday, got a little lost on a couple
> holes but it is a sweet course. Great job everyone
> who helped get this course put in the ground.


Glad you got a chance to play it, sorry you had trouble getting around on some parts of the course. Is there any suggestions you could provide to prevent others from having a similar experience?

These are some known items:

-The basket for hole 5 is still not in place and the transition can be awkward. The standing dead trees near the basket have not been removed and will likely not take place until after Oct-1, new fiscal year.
Options: a) walk from 4's basket across 6's fairway and play back, or b) jump from 4's basket to 7's tee and just play 18 and skip 5 & 6.

- The transition from hole 10's basket to 11's tee requires backtracking across the bridge to the side where the tee was, or crossing a spillway (not recommended) that lately always has water (2" or 3") flowing over. A bridge near the spillway should be in place soon. Aside from getting hole 5 in the ground, a bridge being constructed or moved in place is the main problem being addressed.

- The distance from 16's basket to 17's tee is the length it is because a fence is going to be constructed in that area around 1.4 acres in order to construct a public garden with shade trees, edible plants, and walkways. This future plan led to the removal of one hole and the relocation of basket 16. Otherwise, the entire area was going to be utilized for disc golf and hole 16 may have been the longest in the park. However, once complete, the garden should compliment the course and provide a resting are during casual play and/or shady spectator area on tournament days.

Thanks for any criticism or suggestions, it will provide ways to improve the course.

Chuck Burdine
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 24, 2012 09:54AM
cam32092 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks great from the pictures! Can't wait to play
> it!


Cam I would enjoy watching you throw this course!

You have been doing really well, Congratulations!



Chuck Burdine
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 24, 2012 09:57AM
Blake Mccrary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes I can't wait to visit that


Blake let me know when you are going to make it over, I may be able to play a round or two.

I pm'd my # to you.

Chuck Burdine
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 24, 2012 10:42AM
ecotrex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eric Day Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Played it yesterday, got a little lost on a
> couple
> > holes but it is a sweet course. Great job
> everyone
> > who helped get this course put in the ground.
>
>
> Glad you got a chance to play it, sorry you had
> trouble getting around on some parts of the
> course. Is there any suggestions you could
> provide to prevent others from having a similar
> experience?
>
> These are some known items:
>
> -The basket for hole 5 is still not in place and
> the transition can be awkward. The standing dead
> trees near the basket have not been removed and
> will likely not take place until after Oct-1, new
> fiscal year.
> Options: a) walk from 4's basket across 6's
> fairway and play back, or b) jump from 4's basket
> to 7's tee and just play 18 and skip 5 & 6.
>
> - The transition from hole 10's basket to 11's tee
> requires backtracking across the bridge to the
> side where the tee was, or crossing a spillway
> (not recommended) that lately always has water (2"
> or 3") flowing over. A bridge near the spillway
> should be in place soon. Aside from getting hole
> 5 in the ground, a bridge being constructed or
> moved in place is the main problem being
> addressed.
>
> - The distance from 16's basket to 17's tee is the
> length it is because a fence is going to be
> constructed in that area around 1.4 acres in order
> to construct a public garden with shade trees,
> edible plants, and walkways. This future plan led
> to the removal of one hole and the relocation of
> basket 16. Otherwise, the entire area was going
> to be utilized for disc golf and hole 16 may have
> been the longest in the park. However, once
> complete, the garden should compliment the course
> and provide a resting are during casual play
> and/or shady spectator area on tournament days.
>
> Thanks for any criticism or suggestions, it will
> provide ways to improve the course.
>
> Chuck Burdine


Hey Chuck, for most part You seem to know all the flow issues already.

Hole 2, being a blind shot I had to go search for the basket
Holes 4-6, It took some searching to find the tee's, I'm sure once 5 gets in that will be solved
Hole 6, blind hole could use some kind of guiding arrow on a tree to point what direction the basket is.
Holes 8-9, I couldn't see the tee from 8's basket, but had a truck blocking the view.
Holes 10-11, you already explained
Hole 15, I skipped the after not seeing the basket, then double back to join a group that knew the course.
Holes 15-16, could use an arrow pointing what way to walk.
Holes 16-17, you already explained, plus the big arrow on the tree made it pretty clear.

Suggestions, Tee signs always help once funding is available. Quick fix, making small arrows to attach to the basket pointing to the next tee.

Like I said before the course is awesome, I would call it the best course on the MS Coast. You guys did a great job, if/when You get to the point You want to host a tournament, let me know I'll be happy to help out.
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
August 25, 2012 08:33AM
bump

Hukd on fonikz werkd fur mi!
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
January 20, 2013 05:53PM
Played the course for the fist time today. There are some great holes out there!

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
January 25, 2013 06:15PM
Glad you made it over Shane!

You going to make it to the tourney next weekend? Been a while since I have seen you, and still have your Bliz Destroyer.
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Biloxi!
February 21, 2013 09:00AM
4 of us drove over from Fairhope, AL to try out MS's newest DG offering. Had a great round on a sunny, cool, windy day. Played from the Blue T's, whew, those are some tough locations! Allowed a 3some to play through and got to meet Lynn, Eric and Chris. Thanks to all who contributed to a well-done layout. Well, except for #5 and the backtracking to #11. I'm sure those shortcomings will be addressed. C'ya on the course, wherever that may be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013