Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Hobbit Park
August 27, 2012 01:43AM
I was revisiting this post:

[www.sndg.org]

The song was ingenious. The thread did eventually lead to some real concern about The future of Hobbit Park. We all agree that Hobbit offers some interesting elevation changes uncommon to Mobile. It is closer to downtown Mobile than any other course in the city. It is a hidden disc golf treasure in my humble opinion.

What can we do to help the park to succeed?

So far, it seems parking and a problem with a neighbor seem to be the big issues.

I would just like to hear some pros and cons about Hobbit from Mobile players and disc golf players in general. What can we do to make it better? Can MADGA use those baskets to provide more disc golf pleasure to the players elsewhere in the county? What's going to happen for next year's Joe Cain Classic? Just curious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 01:46AM by T_Bo_Max.
Re: Hobbit Park
August 27, 2012 05:53PM
I don't live in mobile anymore but, while I was there I started playing the Hobbit almost every time I threw a round or two. I just fell in love with it because it does have some elevation change like you said is uncommon in mobile, the holes are long so you get to try out your arm, nice mixture of shots, water hazards, jungle (#17), and peace and quiet. A lot of times you get some wind too. It just seems that not a lot of people share the same intimate and I think it will probably wind up being removed so, improving courses around mobile with more baskets would be a good idea. Just sucks because in my opinion Hobbit is one of the best in mobile.
August 28, 2012 08:18AM
I agree with Tyler. Hobbit has some of the best landscape in Mobile to have a really challenging course. I'd say Muni Gold is the next in line as far as good landscape goes.
I rarely make the trip out to Hobbit due to the overgrown vegetation. It's become a strictly winter course for me. I'd hate to say "pull the course up," but I think we need to look at exposure for the sport locally. If it's not getting much traffic or care, it would make sense to look into putting it in a better area.
If the worst happened and we had to pull the course, maybe we could send 9 of the baskets to Muni Gold to make it 18? I know there's a space issue that would have to be worked out though. If it did work out, we would have 3 18 hole courses within 2 miles of each other (Muni, Muni Gold, USA).
On the other hand, we do have some areas of the county that are starving for a course: Theodore, Grand Bay, Semmes. There are many players in those areas with nowhere close to play. They might be interested in "adopting" the baskets if Hobbit had to be pulled.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
August 28, 2012 08:38AM
I'm not from Mobile, but as an out of towner that come to Mobile several times a month, I try to play Hobbit if the grass is reasonable! I think Hobbit and Chickasaw are both great landscape and the most challenging courses in Mobile area! Too bad there isn't tee pads at either!
August 28, 2012 04:27PM
It wont take much to make it whole again just need someone to get in gear and make a change!!! So yall make it happen!!!!
August 29, 2012 09:55AM
Dont think you will ever see pads at chickasaw. He changes the course to much.

RANDEYE
pdga#7250
August 30, 2012 01:48PM
I think showing some TLC for Hobbit would be awesome. One of my favorite courses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
September 01, 2012 09:25AM
bump
September 04, 2012 07:49PM
I was approached while volunteering at the SNPC and accused of wanting to move the baskets from Hobbit. That is not my position at all. This thread was started to get the players' opinions on Hobbit. It has been suggested in the recnt past that baskets be moved elsewhere. I merely asked for input about the current state of Hobbit Park. I truly enjoy Hobbit.

At the end of the day, this is a matter for MADGA to discuss, but it would be good to have folks thinking about it.
September 04, 2012 08:39PM
Yeah T Bo, it seems to me that's all people want to do is start arguments about the stupidest crap instead of talking about constructive things. To be honest I don't think the majority of people in or around mobile care about the Hobbit so why should it matter to them if they move baskets from there to improve other courses in the area?? If the Hobbit was truly a course that people wanted to keep around and make some advances in, I just think there should be more of an effort put forth. If it was up to me I would keep the Hobbit around and maintain it better and all that but again they have problems with one or more of the people that live around there not wanting the course so.....??
September 05, 2012 01:14AM
So if you're just looking for opinions about the course I am compelled to let you know Hobbit is my favorite course in the Mobile area. I know my opinion matters little for multiple reasons but it is rare real estate and a design to match. Count me as one outsider who would hate to see it lost, like I hated losing our Jabba Jungle several years ago. If you can save it you ought to.
September 05, 2012 10:28AM
From what I have read and the people I have spoken to, it seems that people from Mobile either hate it or don't care and many people from out of town love it. Sometimes the outside perspective is worth something...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
September 05, 2012 10:51AM
I was approached and rebuked during the SNPC as well for my opinion on the course. Even though I said Hobbit has the best landscape in Mobile for a great course, it seems that only negativity was received from my comments.

In my opinion (which is still up there), pulling the course would be the worst thing to happen.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
September 05, 2012 11:54AM
I love Hobbit.
September 05, 2012 03:50PM
Lol
September 05, 2012 06:28PM
when taken care of, hobbit is a great course

well designed and challenging
Anonymous User
September 05, 2012 07:27PM
The land is great, the design is not. Needs a complete overhaul, and a few more trees. Has anyone ever asked if they can be planted there?
September 06, 2012 04:39PM
i asked them if they would plant me there; they said i was way to pretty.
September 06, 2012 05:17PM
If they were going to go with the people/tree substitute theory they could just plant tee boxes in the fairways of other holes. Then they would have like movable and moving trees. It's been done before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 05:18PM by Discjazz.
September 12, 2012 11:30PM
I love the Hobbit. It's my home course. Way overgrown in the summer to play most of the time. Great fall to spring time course. Really and truly once the city cuts it for the final time in the fall the course is pretty much maintained for the rest of the year until the hot weather kicks in again. Sure rocks for the tee pads have to be replaced every now and again, but is there really that much more maintenance then that from fall to spring? I'd hate to see it go, but worst case scenario I think at least 9 holes would be cool. Just my thoughts.
December 20, 2012 12:27PM
The course is in great shape and ready for you-- are you ready for it? Come and get you some... toss Tuesdays at 3:00 pm .. random draw doubles.
December 21, 2012 07:59PM
I personally dont care for Hobbit after the first 9 or so holes. It just gets kinda boring in my opinion. But, those first 9 or so are the heat. I'd say if it does ever get pulled, keep 9 and away from the crazy neighbor. Use the other 9 to finish ?out another 18 at the Bogue?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013