Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SFC Ice Bowl This Weekend!!

Posted by tdwriter 
SFC Ice Bowl This Weekend!!
January 14, 2003 07:56AM
Sorry, this is the next to the last time you will see this.

I hope my "goodwill" tours to Cossar and Lake Lowndes will pay off. Florence is within four hours and less of both of these courses (which I loved playing) so come on over and play the historic (1983) Lakeside Disc Golf Course. This is one of the oldest courses in the state, behind Brahan Springs and the old UAH "culvert course."

Tupelo, Wall Doxie and Memphis golfers, come on!

I have eight (8) Ice Bowl Plaques to give away as well as more than enough plastic, some of the newest Innova and Discraft on the market. Also have a few of those sweet Wizard Putters from Gateway! Pros will receive cash and a plaque. (see the flyer for details)

We'll play two rounds of 21 holes. Yes, I'm adding three temporary holes, as if we're not going to be in the cold long enough as it is!

If you're coming, and I hope you are, please get there no later than 9:15 a.m. If you're there before 10 a.m. we'll get you on a card. I can give directions if anyone needs them.

Tune up for the Spring Fling-It on March 29-30, our marquee event for the year. This could be the last year to play this course since the park is slated to be turned over to a larger corporate entity. More on that as it becomes available.

follow the link to the online flyer. RwC

[www.dixieweb.net]
Re: SFC Ice Bowl This Weekend!!
January 14, 2003 09:16AM
Russ...I've got your ray from Ping Pong.

I need directions once in Florence from Memphis to the course and a couple of good hotels...we're probably coming in Friday night..late.

I also have a prototype Gateway Chief putter as a CTP on a hole of your choice...one condition...it must be a hole that all divisions have a fair shake at(good par three?)

Please respond at your convenience...Griff
January 14, 2003 12:16PM
Griff, just follow U.S. 72 into Tuscumbia, the first "major" city you will hit after exiting Mississippi. Go past the Alabama Music Hall of Fame and you will come to a large signalized intersection. There will be a Hardies and a Key West Inn. Go through the intersection and proceed on 72 until you come to another signalized intersection. It will be Alabama 133 and there will be a large Texaco Truck Stop. Turn left onto 133 and follow it through the railroad underpass and through a few traffic lights. Eventually, the two lane will widen to six lanes and you will cross the Tennessee River over the new bridge. Be careful because when you enter Florence the road curves around and connects with Veterans Drive. (because the idiot contractors haven't finished the road and the governor opened the bridge to get votes and lost anyway...) Follow Veterans Drive until it dead ends at Cox Creek Parkway. Across the street is Veterans Park. Turn left and take the first right into the park. Keep going until you see the red and blue baskets. We should be down at the shelter where all the cars are.

Motels, these are closest to the park: Hampton Inn, behind Logan's Roadhouse on U.S. 72. (you'll hit 72 if you keep following Cox Creek Parkway) (256) 764-8888 or 1-800-426-7866; Days Inn, also on U.S. 72, (256) 766-2620; or Jameson Inn, also on U.S. 72 behind Shoney's, 764-5326. Don't know how much rooms are but they're pretty nice places.

I can get you to some less expensive ones if you like.
Let me know if you need further info. Call me at home Friday if you like, (256) 764-4539 or cell 412-1528.

Be careful, They're predicting snow and ice for Thursday/Thursday night. I hope it does and there's still some on the gound Saturday! Finally, the possibility of a real Ice Bowl!

RwC
January 14, 2003 01:20PM
I appreciate the info. @#$%& the torpedoes...full steam ahead!! Griff
January 14, 2003 06:34PM
Great Admiral Farragut impersonation, Griff. Or was it Tom Petty??

Anyway, remind your fellow Memphians that the Ice Bowl credo states "No Wimps, No Whiners."

Of course, I understand Southerners' aversion to cold. I hate it myself and prefer the low 90s myself. Ya bringin' anyone along? RwC
January 15, 2003 01:33PM
There may be a few along for the ride...status pending. Being I'm the crazy one, I plan on coming regardless...barring undriveable roads. Griff
January 15, 2003 01:39PM
Sounds good, Griff. I think U.S. 72 ought to be clear by Friday night, but a golf tournament's not worth getting killed for.

Here's what I hope happens: it snows, the roads clear up and there's snow on the course for the tournament. I've never held an Ice Bowl that had "ice" other than what was in a few coolers. Actually, it's getting to the time of the year when you don't need ice in your cooler anyway. Besides, you're not supposed to party on the course anyhoo, right?

Be careful. RwC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013