Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2012 Player Of The Year Awards - Results

Posted by Eric Day 
2012 Player Of The Year Awards - Results
September 03, 2012 02:38PM
Pro Men, Matt Orum - Matt with 18 wins in 23 events had another great year. He is one of the top players in the world, and always showed support for the Southern Nationals.

Pro Women, Michelle Cornelius - finishing with 18 top three finishes in 19 events, also held onto a 1 point victory in the points race last year.

Am Men, Philip Tait - Philip with 24 events and finishing 2nd in the points race. Philip is one of the nicest guys You will meet on the course, and is always pushing himself to get better. His attitude and dedication to the SN earned him the POY award.

Am Women, Dee Dee Fussner - finishing with 15 top threes in 15 events in her first year of tournament play. DeeDee then went on to Win the SNAC and finish 3rd in the SNPC. It will be fun watching this new face fight it out in Open Women in the future.

Sportsman, Brooks Newell - Just this weekend Brooks drove all the way from Baton Rouge to Mobile just to help with the SNPC, He stayed out in the hot sun spotting all weekend, plus brought several water kegs and tents for shade. Brooks has been along time supporter of the SN and was well deserving of the Sportsman Award.

Volunteer, Bill Tyler - Bill not only been one to help out TD's anyway he can at several events, but has also been the guy behind the camera taking thousands of pictures all over the SN. With so much time dedicated to the SN, He more the deserved the Volunteer Award.

Tournament Director(s), SouthSide - If You have ever been to a Southside events You would know why they earned this award. Very well ran events, free lunches that should be call buffets with the amount they cook, and huge payouts that have made the Smack Down one of the biggest events in the SN. Southside had simply done an outstanding job year after year.
Re: 2012 Player Of The Year Awards - Results
September 03, 2012 03:38PM
Congrats mobile........

2011 Adv Points Champion
2011 Am player of the year
September 03, 2012 03:49PM
Which winner isn't from Mobile?
September 03, 2012 03:51PM
The women

2011 Adv Points Champion
September 03, 2012 06:44PM
Brooks is from Baton Rouge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 06:44PM by MassiveJ.
Anonymous User
September 03, 2012 07:01PM
I guess you gonna have to move to Mobile if you want an award, but even in Mobile you can still get screwed!
Dex
September 04, 2012 08:46AM
Congratulations to all the winners

Big SHOUT OUT TO BROOKS!!

Dex
September 04, 2012 11:01AM
Cool for Brooks - well played, sir!

Super Cool for Michelle! and DeeDee!

Props to Southside and 1 L and the rest of the winners!! Griff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2012 11:02AM by bryan griffin.
September 04, 2012 12:01PM
I dont have a problem with any of the winners. I just think in my opinion Cam should have won Pro Player of the year
September 04, 2012 12:07PM
Cam is taking the world by storm and I'm a big fan, but in regards to LAST season, I don't see how anybody could pick against Matt Orum.

Cam played 28 events, won 7, second 8, third 5

Matt played 23 events, won 18!, second 4

Matt also blew everybody away in winnings and score.

A lot of Cam's most recent success is during the current season or in a big PDGA event.
September 04, 2012 02:58PM
I am a fan of Cam, he's a friend of mine. But, bazkitcase is right, Matt Orum deserved the Southern Nationals Pro Player of the Year award because he really spend most of his season supporting Southern Nationals and gained most of his success here.

Cam deserves World player of the year, or at least Rookie of the Year for PDGA!

Congrats all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2012 02:59PM by codyroberts18.
September 04, 2012 06:45PM
Dillon Gourley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess you gonna have to move to Mobile if you
> want an award, but even in Mobile you can still
> get screwed!
Please tell us what you mean by this?
September 04, 2012 06:53PM
Southside would like to thank the board for the TD of the year award. We work hard at our tournament every year and try to make everyone happy. We will continue to support Southern Nationals as we have in the past. Southside has in the past donated $2,100 to Chris LaSond's am championship and pro championship. The following year we gave WW $1,500 cash. This year we donated $500 cash and bought food for SNDG pro championships. We do this because we love playing in Southern Nationals events.
September 04, 2012 07:20PM
Southside, you guys rock!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
September 04, 2012 07:30PM
Maybe TD'S (plural) woulda been a better name lol. Good Job Southside.

2011 Adv Points Champion
September 04, 2012 07:39PM
southside Wrote:
> Southside would like to thank the board for the TD
> of the year award. We work hard at our tournament
> every year and try to make everyone happy. We
> will continue to support Southern Nationals as we
> have in the past. Southside has in the past
> donated $2,100 to Chris LaSond's am championship
> and pro championship. The following year we gave
> WW $1,500 cash. This year we donated $500 cash
> and bought food for SNDG pro championships. We do
> this because we love playing in Southern Nationals
> events.

You guys are a class act....I certainly hope you dont allow anything that Dillon has to say take away from what you guys COMPLETELY DESERVE!!! Thank you Southside for all that you have done & continue to do for this series .....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teresa Key
KEY CHAINS DISC GOLF
Fort Walton Beach, FL
September 05, 2012 09:31AM
Word on the Southside - you guys and gals ROC!!!!!!

Gonna have to turn the travel arrow towards Mobile soon!! Griff
September 05, 2012 10:30AM
Nobody can argue with Southside as TD of the Year!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
Anonymous User
September 05, 2012 10:04PM
KeyChains1 Wrote:
> southside Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Southside would like to thank the board for the
> TD
> > of the year award. We work hard at our
> tournament
> > every year and try to make everyone happy. We
> > will continue to support Southern Nationals as
> we
> > have in the past. Southside has in the past
> > donated $2,100 to Chris LaSond's am
> championship
> > and pro championship. The following year we
> gave
> > WW $1,500 cash. This year we donated $500 cash
> > and bought food for SNDG pro championships. We
> do
> > this because we love playing in Southern
> Nationals
> > events.
>
> You guys are a class act....I certainly hope you
> dont allow anything that Dillon has to say take
> away from what you guys COMPLETELY DESERVE!!!
> Thank you Southside for all that you have done &
> continue to do for this series .....

Was I speaking to you or did I mention any names? I don't think so.
September 06, 2012 08:47AM
Dillion have you ever sponsored a tournement? Great job southside! Brooks Newell my Houston Texan brother!! Superbowl baby.
September 06, 2012 05:35PM
Dillion who do you think should have won and which one do you have a problem with? Just say what you mean man.
Anonymous User
September 06, 2012 08:41PM
Brad, not sure why that's even relevant? But to answer your question, yes, one time.

Southside, I am not on here to put down any individuals on THIS thread but I just believe some were more deserving than a couple who won. Some people got snubbed, that's life I guess. Even Bob Barker gets snubbed.
September 07, 2012 09:57AM
I feel like the intermediate men division got overlooked this past season.

How is the POY awards actually determined? Just a vote by the BoD? Is it based on all factors points, events, top finishes? Or is it based on the BoD opinions and feelings towards certain individuals?

You also have this thing called Score that is on the players stats sheet and it states " The SN score is an attempt to try and determine who the top disc golfer in a division is despite the number of events they attend."

Top 4 Adv Scores
1) 34.26
2) 13.04
3) 15.61
4) 24.22

Top 4 Am Scores
1) 32.77
2) 31.95
3) 37.47
4) 29.29

Something seems obvious there

What about the idea of players voting on who the player of the years should be? Could be a weighted system of player votes and BoD votes. I know I spoke with Pat Barnes about this after the SNAC and I've heard him mention this on another thread, so can this be put into action?
September 07, 2012 10:29AM
Lloyd, I just want to point out that you can't compare the "score" metric across different divisions because it is primarily affected by the size of the division. Intermediate "scores" are usually going to be higher than advanced "scores".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
September 07, 2012 12:02PM
The new bid is lookn into a new way of doing alotta things just be patient Lloyd :-D

2011 Adv Points Champion
September 07, 2012 02:15PM
its interesting that the two people who posted after me were both the advanced points champion and Am player of the year. Funny how that has worked in the past.
Anonymous User
September 07, 2012 05:10PM
September 08, 2012 07:12AM
No putt, do you understand what Casey is saying? Score is based on size of division. And added to that,,, of a player consistently comes in the top 5 in int, that player isn't really an int, he's an adv and should be playing there.

Terry Zeringue
September 10, 2012 08:59AM
understand zing, do you understand that the person who won was second in adv this season? Hints bluffs response to mine
September 10, 2012 09:29AM
Why should the lower am field even be brought up for player of the year? If the top guy in intermediate played advanced he wouldn't have done near as good or near as many points. Phillip played in more events than anyone in the intermediate field. If he played intermediate, I bet he would have won the points race and had more top 3 finishes than majority of the intermediates. The intermediate men should not even be in the running for am player of the year in my oppinion because they are not playing with the highest am players.

If you really respected phillip and liked him as a person, you wouldn't keep bringing this issue up.

On the scores issue, I have a higher rating than rivers in open. I am not near as good as rivers in my opinion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013