Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What has happened to Disc Golf in Mobile?

Posted by Fosko 
What has happened to Disc Golf in Mobile?
September 11, 2012 08:02PM
What has happened to this sport? Did someone take a disc to every meth head loser in town,and teach them to play DG? Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of quality individuals that play this sport, and it's the majority. A sport that I used to kind of make fun of, but now love more than just about any others out there.

I live close to a course here in Mobile. I didn't start playing DG until a few years ago, and I've loved it ever since. The thing I hate about? The TRASH! I have a 11 year old that has been playing since he was 8. He loves it to death. It just seems you can't go anywhere these days w/ out the booze,drugs, and the profanity laced individuals that have some how come in and taken over. Like I said, I still know a lot of quality individuals that play this game. I have nothing against drinking. Just put it in a solo cup,don't make an idiot of yourself, and be sure to put it in the trash can when your done. If there isn't a trash can present, do like the majority of us and take it with you. No one wants to play in a trash infested area, and no I'm not just talking about Cottage Hill.

This is a great game that we play. Mobile is one of the Crown Jewels of the Southern DG Family, and to be honest at this point in time I'm embarrassed for what it's become. All it will take is having a little pride to turn it around. If you see someone trashing up a place or whatever call them out on it. It's time for our courses to be taken back from the trash. Sorry for getting up on my soapbox and ranting. It's just been on my mind for some time now. If i seem out of line to you, it just may be that you fall into the category of the bad element that's tainted this sport.
Re: What has happened to Disc Golf in Mobile?
September 11, 2012 08:45PM
$hit heads everywhere man.
Im now in San Diego where fires are always a huge risk.
All of our courses out here are NO SMOKING yet all you see as you walk from tee to tee are peoples butts.
Volunteers spend time and $$ to help beautify the courses and all the "trash" do is break tee signs and break baskets.

I agree with you, CALL PEOPLE OUT!
Thats what im doing and I WILL NOT STOP.
I bring a grocery bag around with me and pick up what I can.
I believe in leaving a courses cleaner than it was when I got there.

HEAPS
September 12, 2012 10:34AM
good posts
September 12, 2012 11:17AM
Word on the "bring a sack" with you when you play disc golf........

Grocery sack - to pick up the garbage!!!!

Get you head outta the gutter!!! DOH!
September 12, 2012 11:32AM
It's the way the world is. Every time I play with or around other people and have my kids, the profanity is there, alcohol, and pot. It's no wonder why the majority of people have such a negative opinion towards disc golf.
September 12, 2012 11:49AM
Concerts are no different. People still go to concerts.
September 12, 2012 12:13PM
No kids should be around pot in my opinion. I would think about getting the law involved if i had young kids that was around it.
September 12, 2012 12:16PM
Well...good thing you don't have them.
September 12, 2012 01:18PM
??? I am one of the proud few that do not smoke pot in disc golf.

wayneacree Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well...good thing you don't have them.
September 12, 2012 01:20PM
ok. Good for you.
September 12, 2012 01:22PM
Your kids are going to be exposed to these things eventually one way or another. While delaying that exposure may be good it may be best that the exposure occurs first on the DGC with you so they can see you not participate or pick up trash, whatever the appropriate response is, so you have the first opportunity to set the example you want them to adopt.
September 12, 2012 04:28PM
September 12, 2012 04:49PM
September 12, 2012 09:23PM
This is not just in MOBILE I'm sure!!...ugh shake my head
September 12, 2012 10:26PM
@ Blake, I'm well aware that this isn't just an isolated issue w/ the City of Mobile. I'm sure it's widespread. @Wayne, I assure you that I'm not a crazy over protective parent. I travel a lot w/ my family, and they've been exposed to all types of environments good and bad. They know right from wrong. If I were taking my Son out to the local DG golf course to teach him to be a better person, I'd consider that terrible parenting skills. As far as concerts and all that go, I've taken both my children to concerts from Widespread Panic all the way to The Neville Brothers. Like I said, they've been exposed to a lot. The point in this post has really nothing to do with children accept the fact that I happen to have one that enjoys it so much, and I want him to continue enjoy it. I believe it's a problem that needs attention, and that's my point in bringing it up.
September 12, 2012 11:15PM
Fosko. Do you have real name? Tired of people getting on this board and typing behind screen name!!
September 12, 2012 11:40PM
Sure I have a real name. I'd shoot my parents if they'd named me after my Grandfather's soft drink. Anyway, Larry Martin is my name. Didn't realize it wasn't listed in my profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 12:38AM by Fosko.
September 13, 2012 06:26AM
Thanks Larry. Welcome to SNDG forum enjoy!
September 13, 2012 11:11AM
Converting courses to pay-to-play where possible is helping reduce these problems.
September 13, 2012 11:39AM
Disc golf is not the banner to lay bad behavior on no more than anything else. Played softball for years same basketball leagues same any ,all sports period jobs same way. If you think not your asleep. Pot drinking cigarettes cursing bad attitudes stealing whining complaining is in every facet of life . Sports doesnt promote it . Just look at so called pro sports. Cycling doping football dopTrash on every street corner in every public lake. Cigareete butts 2 inches deep beside curve at every redlight. This is human behavior period people it does not reflect disc golfers no more than it does joe blow the average guy on street. Best thing to help as an idual is to set an example for others yourself with actions that are comendable and realize putting disc golf as a headline to every problem with our society is not fair and puts it on a negative stage in public opinion. It is what it is 2012. Pick up trash you see do what you need to do as an individual that represents the sport we all love in the best light you see possible. ng and on and on . J

BIGFOOT lives !
September 13, 2012 11:40AM
Disc golf is not the banner to lay bad behavior on no more than anything else. Played softball for years same basketball leagues same any ,all sports period jobs same way. If you think not your asleep. Pot drinking cigarettes cursing bad attitudes stealing whining complaining is in every facet of life . Sports doesnt promote it . Just look at so called pro sports. Cycling doping football dopTrash on every street corner in every public lake. Cigareete butts 2 inches deep beside curve at every redlight. This is human behavior period people it does not reflect disc golfers no more than it does joe blow the average guy on street. Best thing to help as an idual is set an example for others yourself with actions that are comendable and realize putting disc golf as a headline to every problem with our society is not fair and puts it on a negative stage in public opinion. It is what it is 2012. Pick up trash you see do what you need to do as an individual that represents the sport we all love in the best light you see possible.

BIGFOOT lives !
September 13, 2012 08:05PM
^that hurt my brain.
September 14, 2012 07:02AM
Mine too lol
September 14, 2012 09:22AM
Reading conversational style writing can be painful but linksplitter's points are on point. The disc golf course is just one of many places the worst practices of people come out. Throwing plastic at chains is not the cause. We should set a better example if we want to be part of the solution.
September 14, 2012 12:31PM
Any individual partaking in anything has the duty to respect others as they would want to be respected - any jack nugget that "lights up" in front of kids deserves whatever repurcussions come their way......

But let's also state, that any parent exposing their children to environments that entail the above listed "horrors" of reality also should take responsibility to oversee their children's activities - including avoiding things they don't want their kids exposed to......AND those individuals should not try to impose their "system or beliefs" on folks that are minding their own business (i.e. don't come to the party and then complain because others are enjoying themselves)...

Having said that, the propagator of this thread LOST ME when he admitted he has taken his kids to Widespread Panic shows.....
If the kids are into Panic at a "too young and impressionable age", pot is not likely what your real concern should be....

Just sayin'.......
September 14, 2012 02:24PM
@Bryan, I follow you on the taking the kids to concerts and so forth. Like I stated before, my children know right from wrong. I'm not really to concerned w/ them all of sudden wanting to participate w/ drugs, they know better. As far as pot goes, with all the junk that's on the scene these days, if they ever came to me w/ a drug problem I could only hope and pray that is pot, and, not something some guy w/ a sixth grade education cooked up in the back room of his trailer. In no shape or form am I tryin to make this a, I don't won't my kids around this or that type thread. They are eventually going to see it at some point in their lives anyway. It's all the better that I'm around when they do so I can explain to them right from wrong. Like I said before, this isn't a thread that I felt needed to be started because my kid saw someone burning down on a DG course. I merely stated that I have a child that enjoys the sport, and I would like for him to continue to do so.

Like linksplitter stated above, maybe it's just the progression of the times. More and more people just don't care as much as they should. It just seems that it's gotten progressively worse in the past couple at least here anyway. Heck, I'm sure it's that way in a lot of places. However, around this town is where I normally play, and seems as though that it's gone down hill somewhat.
Anonymous User
September 14, 2012 05:46PM
Wayne, just cause you are a dope smoking drug using golfer who does not believe in prayer does not mean it's acceptable.
September 15, 2012 09:24AM
And this comes from a guy who thinks dating is pulling out your "package" in front of school teachers? Aren't you on the registered offenders list?
You should be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2012 09:25AM by wayneacree.
September 15, 2012 10:12AM
Unfortunately, as the sport grows, so do the odds of having lazy, selfish idiots lowering the quality of the atmosphere and fun that makes disc golf so enjoyable. There will always be those people who think that they should be able to do whatever they want to do, no matter how it affects other people or the environment. The reality is that it's a reflection of our society today. Children who were "raised" by "parents" who didn't care enough about them to teach them how to act right have now become adults who don't respect anyone or anything. All they care about is being able to do what they want, and God forbid anyone should say something to them (see above sarcastic posts for verification). Sadly, if they wouldn't listen to adults when they were children, they certainly won't listen to anything you say to them.

(Stepping onto podium)

By the way, I don't associate drinking with someone being a bad person. However, if you're doing something illegal, don't act offended when someone says something to you. YOU ARE THE ONE CAUSING THE PROBLEM! Unless you are 4 years old or mentally handicapped, there is no good reason to think other people should just let you put everyone else in a bad situation and not say anything. What you do in your own home is your business. What you do in public (yes, that includes wooded parks) is no longer just your business. It affects the people around you. If you don't care about how what you do affects me and my children, then I don't care if you get mad or offended by what I say or do to make you stop.

(Stepping off podium)

Tommy Norman
September 15, 2012 12:48PM
All of the said things are a little different when it comes to disc golf as compared to softball, basketball, or other leagues of that nature. Those leagues will never make it big, because they are secondary things for the professional level. They have no reason to try and strive for integrity. However, disc golf is not yet a "professional" sport. It is trying for that, so for the sports sake, these said things are bad. They hold it back from getting to that professional level which I think is desired by a lot of people. It all comes down to what you expect out of the sport. Some think drugs are what make the sport, some think it holds it back. All preference and how you are raised. However, drugs are illegal, no matter what your excuse, they are absolutely illegal! Just my take on it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013