Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New DG Course in Alexandria?

Posted by Jazzcaster 
New DG Course in Alexandria?
September 12, 2012 11:26AM
I had read a comment about the City of Alexandria building a disc golf course in Martin Park and just chalked that up to rumor. Today while looking at Google earth, I noticed what looked like 9 tee pads at the Martin Park recreation area. Screen grab with circled areas below (arrows point to two "pads" outside the crop:

So, is this a disc golf course in the making?
Re: New DG Course in Alexandria?
September 12, 2012 02:13PM
Instead of waiting for a response, I decided to take a drive out there at lunch. Here is what I found:

It is a fully playable course although there is still some work that needs to be done, but pretty much only on Holes 8 and 9 where brush and trees were not cleared out. The number 9 tee points right into a close-by, large tree and surrounding brush and forces a blind throw around a concrete walking path. Hole 8 also forces a blind throw along a walking path and along a somewhat narrow corridor bounded by apartments on the right (no fence).

There are no signs on the tee boxes and the locations of the first tee box and basket are not immediately apparent.

I have a call in to the Alexandria Parks & Recreation Dept. to find out if there is a finish date past or planned and if they can perform some additional maintenance.
Anonymous User
September 13, 2012 08:44AM
Two years ago the Rec Dept told me that was being done, then I heard no more. When I called back last year I was told there were no plans to do it anymore. They were supposedly looking at another location down in the future.
September 13, 2012 11:09AM
After visiting the course and finding some issues, I e-mailed the Parks director and he advised me that the course was "done." I then sent a list of my concerns about the park and he indicated that he would share the list with his supervisor and get back to me. The course has some obvious safety issues on a few holes and needs some mowing/brush-clearing/tree-cutting on a couple. Otherwise it's playable. Just don't hit anyone on hole #9! Here is a link to a course map .kmz file (Google Earth file) that I made yesterday after visiting the course. I'll update it with more accurate basket locations when I get a chance.

LINK
September 13, 2012 12:42PM
bayouace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two years ago the Rec Dept told me that was being
> done, then I heard no more. When I called back
> last year I was told there were no plans to do it
> anymore. They were supposedly looking at another
> location down in the future.

I don't know what the timing of your call was last year, but the imagery from Google Earth showing the teepads is dated June, 2011.
Anonymous User
September 16, 2012 04:19PM
It was last Fall, I think. Got a Parks and Rec secretary who put me on hold and came back with the apparently erroneous answer.
September 16, 2012 09:42PM
I searched the Town Talk and found that there was an article referencing the disc golf course published in June of 2011. I didn't read the article because I didn't want to pay for it, but it apparently referred to a tour by city officials of completed park improvements. So apparently Martin Park was the first course in Central Louisiana by nearly a full year.
Anonymous User
September 17, 2012 02:18PM
Nothing like publicizing Alexandria parks and what they have to offer.
September 18, 2012 02:40PM
Yes, it's a bit of a shame that the only reference to this was a couple of words buried in a article about the Alexandria's parks in general. I got a chance to play out there on Friday. It is a pretty fun little course until you get to the last two holes which are not being maintained properly by the city. There are also two holes where it is apparent that some mandatories need to be marked to keep people from trying to throw off the side of the tee box.
September 27, 2012 01:06PM
I will not be playing 8 or 9 anymore. 8 uses an apartment complex as a border. I had a disc end up on someone's patio. There are no walls for these patios.

9 may end up in a walker decaptitation. Travel along a walking path? Bwhahahaha.

I like the others a lot.
September 27, 2012 04:20PM
It shouldn't cause anything more serious than a concussion. I'm still waiting to hear back from the city on whether they are willing to address those issues.
September 28, 2012 09:27AM
I sharpened my Avenger. I think I could slice flesh.
Updated Course Map
October 19, 2012 08:25AM
Course map here:

[www.dgcoursereview.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 08:26AM by Jazzcaster.
October 22, 2012 01:23PM
I went against my word and played 8/9. Never again. Horrible.
October 22, 2012 04:39PM
I am still trying to get the city to do something about those holes. It's obvious that whoever designed the course intended the city to cut down some trees. That or the course designer had never played disc golf. I'm sending another e-mail today. I'll let you know if I get a response.
October 24, 2012 07:37PM
An update for anyone who is interested. After sending a follow-up e-mail to city, AlxTgr and I met up with a couple of reps from the City Parks department and the Urban Forester for COA. We gave a brief intro about disc golf to the City and then walked holes 8 and 9 to show them the lack-of-fairway problem. They were extremely receptive to getting the problem corrected and will be submitting a plan to remove trees from the fairways on holes 8 and 9 and gave us permission to mark the mandatories on holes 2 and 3. Time frame on the tree removal not discussed, but they have to submit an action plan and budget and get it approved, etc. They also indicated that they could get the City sign department to make signs for the tee pads with layout and par numbers as well as a course map sign.

For anyone interested in playing this course, it is a fun layout until you get to holes 8 and 9. It is also pretty long for a 9 hole course (at least as far as the few that I have played).
Anonymous User
October 25, 2012 07:40AM
Good job of working with the COA to take care of the issues.
October 25, 2012 08:57AM
It seemed to me that they got it. Especially after seeing how a driver flies. There's nothing that can be done about the apartments, and those will still be an issue even with tree clearing, but at least those last two will be playable from the tees provided.

Really nice guys with open minds on positive change.
October 30, 2012 09:19PM
I got an e-mail today from the city parks director. He indicated that the city will be working at removing trees and brush from fairways 8 and 9 for most of next week (except election day). I haven't had a chance to mark the mandatories yet, but I will probably get to do that at lunch one day this week. This course will be a lot more fun when 8 and 9 are playable. For those those in central Louisiana who haven't played it yet, make sure to give it a try after next week. Course map below:

October 31, 2012 10:05AM
The walking path ob rule is unworkable. I will never play using that as a rule. 8 and 9 fairwars are walking paths.
October 31, 2012 09:05PM
What about 5 and 7? It seems reasonable to have an ob there. On 5, you are going to get into the ditch right after the path anyway.
October 31, 2012 09:10PM
One interesting thing is how long this course is. At over 3500 feet, it is longer than the pro tees on eithe rthe front or back for the RRR tourney at Buhlow. It's already a fun course. It's only going to be that much better once the 8 and 9 have usable tee pads.
November 01, 2012 08:51AM
Jazzcaster Wrote:
> What about 5 and 7? It seems reasonable to have an
> ob there. On 5, you are going to get into the
> ditch right after the path anyway.

I am not swayed. If you want to count your shots as OB, fine by me. Mine will not be. It's part of the course. Nothing about those areas has any attribute of OB. Internal OB is a general no-no.
November 01, 2012 09:10AM
and MANDOS suck.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
November 01, 2012 09:21AM
These are funny. You can screw 2 and 3 up royally. 2 becomes really easy if not for the mando. Tee placement suggetsed they wanted that. I guess.
November 01, 2012 07:37PM
If not for the mando on 2, it's just a long, straight, wide-open hole with the tee pointing in the wrong direction. Without the mando on 3 you would want to throw the disc sideways off the tee. Anyway 4 par 4 and 5 par 3. I checked the standard rules, no reason that the walking paths have to be OB. The problem on 8, after the city clears the fairway, is that the private property won't be delineated from the public property.
November 02, 2012 08:07AM
Above doesn't look all that clear.

Holes 1-3 and hole 8 are par 4s per the PDGA par guidelines. The rest are par 3s.

Mandos are now marked with red arrows. Can't wait for the fairways to be cleared. I'll have to play that course at lunch at least once per week.
November 05, 2012 10:12AM
Jazzcaster Wrote:
The problem on 8, after the city clears the
> fairway, is that the private property won't be
> delineated from the public property.
I hate that. I've already thrown from a patio once.
November 05, 2012 06:46PM
The CoA is dutifully massacreing small trees and underbrush on the whole course and in a good way. Hole 9 is now playable without worry of hitting anyone and the COA should be back out on Wednesday.
November 07, 2012 07:34AM
I Hate Am Design!!! At least the course is in the ground...until someone gets hit...
PS: what State is it in?!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013