Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Moving up the ranks

Posted by The Juggernaut 
Moving up the ranks
September 24, 2012 09:28AM
When playing as a novice,how many tournaments
Should you play in before you move up a division?
Does it go by winning the novice division and then moving up
Or how well you play each round day to day?
Re: Moving up the ranks
September 24, 2012 10:06AM
Definitely the latter - always move up when YOU are ready!

But if you've won playing novice, you DEFINITELY should move up......my 2 cents....

Moving up is the best road to continued improvement of your game - observation of other players can aid in your own development in a meaningful way.....and the friendly competition doesn't hurt either!

Now, go practice your putt! : )
September 24, 2012 10:19AM
I agree with what Griff said. The "rules" answer is you are not required to move up unless a TD says so. If you move up and don't cash you can move back to Novice at the next event unless that TD says no. If you move up and cash you can never return to Novice.
September 24, 2012 12:17PM
If you live in an area with a small amount of players I would say 2-3 tournaments, If you live in an area like Mobile where there is a more novice players I would suggest playing a few more. The faster you move up the fast You're going to improve.
September 25, 2012 10:31AM
Just remember as novice, you don't receive any points. Also, IF I understand the rules, if you go six months without cashing in a division, you can move back down!
September 25, 2012 10:37AM
M Russell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just remember as novice, you don't receive any
> points. Also, IF I understand the rules, if you
> go six months without cashing in a division, you
> can move back down!

Four tournaments is "supposed" to be the rule.
Thanks for the correction Dustin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 11:03AM by wayneacree.
September 25, 2012 10:49AM
i thought it was 4 events....lol
September 25, 2012 11:12AM
Not 6 months, 4 consecutive singles events without cashing. Doubles event have no effect on your division status.
September 25, 2012 11:18AM
Eric, if we can find where it states that there is a 6 month waiting period, we need to remove it. This is causing tons of confusion. I will start looking today
September 25, 2012 11:21AM
It's under the rules attached to the front page, Brian Moon is the only one who can fix that I believe.
September 25, 2012 12:23PM
Specifically, it's rule 1.6 that states about the six months. Glad to know the right rule now! Thanks for clearing it up!!
September 25, 2012 12:27PM
[www.sndg.org]

Here is a link to the current rules we are following.

1.3 Player Reclassification:
1.3.1 A player not qualified for an Amateur division due to having accepted a finishing award in a Pro division (gained Professional Status) may compete in an Advanced Amateur division for which the player would otherwise be qualified after finishing four (4) consecutive immediately preceding Championship qualifying tournaments without accepting a finishing award in any and all Pro divisions in which the player accepted a finishing award.
1.3.2 A player not qualified for an Intermediate Amateur division due to having accepted a finishing award in an Advanced Amateur division may compete in an Intermediate Amateur division for which the player would otherwise be qualified after finishing four (4) consecutive immediately preceding Championship qualifying tournaments without accepting a finishing award in any and all Advanced Amateur divisions in which the player accepted a finishing award.
1.3.3 Competition in a tournament without finishing all holes and rounds offered shall be disregarded for the purposes of player reclassification if no finishing award is accepted. Example a DNF (Did Not Finish) with no finishing award accepted will not qualify or disqualify a player for reclassification. Example accepting a finishing prize for a DNF means the player must finish four (4) subsequent events as specified above to be reclassified.
September 26, 2012 08:28AM
One!!! In NOVICE, is the Answer. Dont know about the way it is "Worded"(I know alot of pros that could play rec according to THAT Def.) in SNDG
September 26, 2012 09:58AM
That is saying if you don't cash in 4 pro events, you can move down to Advanced. Then, it would take you not cashing in 4 advanced tournaments to move down to Int. I didn't know Rec was still an offered division in Southern Nationals?
September 26, 2012 01:30PM
It's true that Novice/Recreational is a non-points division. Since the last SNAC almost filled up or came close, for maybe the first time, I suppose that does actually matter now. That division only qualifies for late SNAC sign-up if it isn't already full. It never qualifies one for the SNPC.

The 6 month rule was replaced with a 4 event rule like Eric said. A lot of TD's have an only-once Novice rule, like Jack said, but that is just a TD rule not a SN rule. The SN rules allow SNQ TD's to have that rule or an as-many times-as-you want rule or to bump up any baggers in any division. Novice is the only division you cannot be reclassified for after cashing in a higher division.

I agree with what Cody said too but remember playing Pro does not classify one as Pro. If you haven't accepted cash or the equivalent in Pro you are still an amateur and don't have to wait 4 events to go back to advanced.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013