Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rattle The Chains 3 man Scramble

Posted by Dirtyoljim 
Rattle The Chains 3 man Scramble
October 01, 2012 11:18AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that this past weekend we had a 3 man scramble charity tournament (Rattle The Chains) here in Little Rock at the new course Reservoir Park. We were raising money for the Childrens Protection Center of Little Rock (a charity based out of Arkansas Childrens Hospital).

The CPC (Children's Protection Center) is an organization that helps start the healing process to children that have had to endure sexual abuse in the past. The money raised helps fund/pay for the advocacy needed to help these kids out.

I felt compelled to not put it on the schedule or promote it through SN or the PDGA website for a few reasons (none of them negative):
1. Prizes for this event were geared more towards what our sponsors provided for us rather than disc golf merchandise or cash payout. Most tournament disc golfers wont come to an event like that.
2. I did not want to sanction it and pay any money towards that sanctioning fee (PDGA or SN). We wanted every penny to go such a great cause.
3. We had free beer for everyone that played the tournament...and there was plenty.

Here is how the format went:

$90/team ($30/player) -- 3 man scramble
2 flights -- competetive and recreational -- not open or am (if you played disc golf on a regular basis then you played competetive) -- again this was geared toward introducing the game to our community and raising money for the charity and not so much for points towards any DG series.
1 round (reservoir Park)

We had 3 CTP's that every division played for.
We had a home run derby that paid out a discatcher provided by Abbey Road and the DSDGA -- $10 got you 5 throws (using tournament stamped Buzz X discs) to throw over center field at the baseball field at reservoir park.

1st place prize in both divisions was a weekend paid float trip for your team down the buffalo river here in arkansas, which if you have never done it you should because its a blast (cabins and canoes paid for)
Local and corporate buisnesses donated 2nd and 3rd place prizes to each flight (assorted gift certioficates etc...)

The coolest prize (which was not won) was an Ace throw off -- $10/throw on a 190 foot hole. If you hit the ace you won a week's paid trip for 2 to Crested Butte, CO (cabin and ski rental paid for). Nobody hit it so it will be up for grabs next year.

We had 28 teams show up (84 people). Which for an event like this (not sanctioned) was a fantastic turnout!!The tournament was a huge succes and we raised almost $7,000 for the charity.

We will be doing this again next year and i will promote it through the SN website.

I would like to thank all of the volunteers that helped put on a spectacular event.

James Lecy
Re: Rattle The Chains 3 man Scramble
October 01, 2012 11:27AM
Not everyone knew about this event but some did. If you were here for the Rock Cities Open (the Darby's and OGB) then you knew it was happening. Thank you for your donation/sponsorship Mrs. Tommie Darby, the DSDGA, Abbey Road, Alice 107.7, Budweiser, Pepsi, the list goes on and on.

It makes me smile to see people donate to such a worthy cause. It also means alot to me to see 28 teams show up in the peak of the disc golf competetive season.

Remember there are bigger things in life than just disc golf tournaments that line pockets for pros or line the disc collection for baggers in different divisions. There are good causes like this one. Let disc golf grow throw more of these types of tournaments and reap the rewards that will follow.

Saty tuned for next year, this tournament will be even bigger (per our sponsors for this event)

Lecy
October 01, 2012 12:15PM
Outstanding! The trip down the Buffalo river is a GREAT prize! I did that one spring many moons ago and had a blast!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
October 01, 2012 01:47PM
Ya Keith, i hope that we have an even bigger turnout for next years event (which if thats the case we will have to relocate to a different venue. I figured not many players from around SN would make it for this one but 28 teams sure made me feel better about the event.
October 01, 2012 02:47PM
Once again - you DA MAN!! Nice work, Lecy!!
October 01, 2012 02:49PM
Thanks Griff AIEEEEE!!!! Im off to Jonesboro this weekend, ihope to see some old faces and some new ones as well !!
Anonymous User
October 01, 2012 06:06PM
Impressive numbers, great job!
October 01, 2012 08:02PM
Well done. Very well thought out format. Home run derby idea sounds like a hoot!
October 04, 2012 10:15AM
Very nice.
Sounds like a great organization that you're helping to support.

Keep up the good work.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

A disc chuckin' Panic lovin' fool

PDGA #30274

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth or power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible."
Soren Kierkegaard
October 04, 2012 10:16AM
Thanks Matt, this tournamnet will be annual so maybe we can build momentum for the years to come.

Lecy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

kch
Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013