Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cheaters and how to resolve the issue!

Posted by Trackin01 
Cheaters and how to resolve the issue!
October 02, 2012 12:06PM
I have decided to officially move towards multiple scorecards per group at my events. Cheaters are out there and every event has seems to have one. I have been approached by players after my events are over saying "the guy on my card cheated and we confirmed it" but this was after the event was over and I cannot do anything about it, but say look out for this person.
League play, tournament play, etc . . . it needs to be stopped.

Suggestions could be this:

Multiple scorecards *the civil approach to stopping this*
Never let that person take score *Call him out publicly so everyone knows* -the less civil approach

So, if you come to my events, expect to have multiple scorecards in your group. It's might not prevent cheating, but hopefully it will reduce it.
My .02 cents
Re: Cheaters and how to resolve the issue!
October 02, 2012 12:46PM
Call them out in public. Nothing like public ridicule to put someones cheating ways in check.

It has been done this way(locally), and it did work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 12:47PM by wayneacree.
October 02, 2012 01:03PM
Multiple scorecards is an option. I guess one could argue that it is a bit more for the TD to keep up with, but not really. It's done in ball golf with one person keeping the score of the other. Most of the time it is only two in a group though.
October 02, 2012 01:06PM
played in a tourney in OKC once where everyone in the round had a scorecard. and kept everyone's score on each card. It was pretty good.
October 02, 2012 01:08PM
Multiple scorecards are great for anybody who wants to keep one but any discrepancy should always be called out politely when the hole score is recorded because it could just be an error of positive thinking or senility.
October 02, 2012 01:14PM
The way I state it is this: the TWO players taking scores should sit next to one another and call out scores to make sure both cards are ligit. That way everyone can see. I have noticed that when players get frustrated by getting a 5 or 4 on a hole they just say their score an don't pay attention typically in the Amateur divisions.

If the whole group hovered over the scorecard then it wouldn't be a problem, but that doesn't clearly happen.
October 02, 2012 01:53PM
Crack their skullz!!

Wait, 2 scorecards - much more civil approach.

I would suggest only that the TD announce the multiple scorecards at the player's meeting and explain what happens if:
- the 2 cards do not agree at the end of the round (likely aGroup issue - but players will need clarity on resolving same)
- both cards don't make it back to the TD (what if only one card gets turned in?)
- politely discuss descrepencies - as stated above, multiple cards can multiply confusion (i.e. group starts on hole 5. One scorekeeper correctly records scores from hole 5 on, but other scorekeeper starts the scores erroneously on hole 1 we've ALL done that)) -- the 2 cards would then not match....
just my 2 cents......
October 02, 2012 02:03PM
Highlight the entire hole and column with a bright color. Let's hope they can see it and start their scores there.
October 02, 2012 02:05PM
I suggest public hanging!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
October 02, 2012 02:10PM
One card or multiple cards....it all comes down to one thing. Honesty! It's sad that we even need to think of ways to deter cheating. If people feel the need to cheat at a game then they really should reevaluate things.
October 02, 2012 02:45PM
^^^^^^well said!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
October 02, 2012 10:41PM
I like the idea of everyone keeping a card! Makes sense to me!!!
October 03, 2012 09:11AM
Just remember, people from ALL walks of life play disc golf. Even those that can't count past three.
October 03, 2012 10:40AM
The resolution is simple and it lies with the group on the card. The player keeping score announces the hole and calls out the name of the first person on the card. That person responds loudly and clearly the number of strokes he took on the hole. The scorekeeper repeats that score for all to hear, records it on the card and continues the process for each player. People make mistakes and right then and there is the time to identify and correct them. If there is a question about the number of strokes it is fresh in everyones mind.

All players should insist on this procedure. There is absolutely no excuse for not following it. If there is someone keeping score who says, "Did everyone get a three?", I ask him to call out the names and scores individually including his own score. If the scorekeeper starts writing down scores without calling out the player's names, especially his own namd and score, that should be nipped in the bud immediately.

Any player has the right to look at the card at any time. If there is a suspicion of writing down the wrong score then the card should be reviewed after every hole. I don't understand how it is possible to cheat on recording the scores if this procedure is followed.

Gary Wagoner
October 03, 2012 01:21PM
wayneacree Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just remember, people from ALL walks of life play
> disc golf. Even those that can't count past
> three.

No offense intended, but if someone can't count past three, they should definitely NOT be playing a tournnament IMO!!!!
October 04, 2012 09:14AM
or at least keeping score
October 04, 2012 09:32AM
Gary makes a great point....(as usual).....seems that approach as followed would mitigate the issues of multiple cards in a group....

I've even played with a fella (not from Memphis as I recall) that kept his own card during a tourney (which I cared nothing about) - he said he was compiling his scores and places that he played (if I recall I was either in Florence or Huntsville at the time)......

In any event CHEATERS SUCK ROTTEN EGGS!!
October 04, 2012 07:44PM
Like Gary said we should just make it a point to follow the rules and guidelines on tournament play including score keeping and make sure the others in your group understand as well. If its not discussed at the players meeting, bring it up to your group while waiting to start just so its known from the get go.
October 04, 2012 08:06PM
804.03 Scoring

B. After each hole is completed, The scorekeeper shall call out each player's name. The called player shall answer with the score in a manner that is clear to all players of the group and the scorekeeper. The scorekeeper shall record that score and read it back, in a manner that is clear to all players of the group. If there is any disagreement about the score a player reports, the group must review the hole and attempt to arrive at the correct score.

801.01 Courtesy

C. Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as....keeping score properly is a courtesy violation.

A player can not refuse to keep score properly without first receiving a warning and then a stroke for every violation. If someone were to cheat while the group followed these rules and kept and eye on the card it would be so obvious as to merit disqualification.

Gary Wagoner (quoting the PDGA rules book)
October 05, 2012 06:07PM
wayneacree Wrote:
> Call them out in public. Nothing like public
> ridicule to put someones cheating ways in check.
>
> It has been done this way(locally), and it did
> work.

DIDN'T STOP BUDDY.
October 10, 2012 07:55PM
1998 ch wraith. firing squad.
Enough thrown..
October 16, 2012 06:22PM
Ive politely called someone for a stroke be4 a very legitimate one and was called a name in return and i laughed and said well since im that name add ya stroke!!!!!! Lol true story
I hate to say it but rules are rules if i follow the rules those that play in my group in tournaments sure will that i can garrantee !!!!!! true story:-)
October 16, 2012 09:21PM
Well if they wanna get all defensive about it and start calling names, don't they stand the chance of disqualification? Dismissal from the tournament?
October 18, 2012 07:32PM
Yep they are subject esspecially if they get froggy with witnesses around:-)
October 22, 2012 06:02PM
bryan griffin Wrote:
> Gary makes a great point....(as usual).....seems
> that approach as followed would mitigate the
> issues of multiple cards in a group....
>
> I've even played with a fella (not from Memphis as
> I recall) that kept his own card during a tourney
> (which I cared nothing about) - he said he was
> compiling his scores and places that he played (if
> I recall I was either in Florence or Huntsville at
> the time)......
>
> In any event CHEATERS SUCK ROTTEN EGGS!!

That just might have been me! I know I have said that before, and I ALWAYS keep a personal card. I usually have it totaled before the "official" card is done and almost all the time agree with the scores called out at the end of the round!

If you follow the rules as in Garys post, you can't go wrong either!

I am just glad that 99% of all Disc Golfers are honest people, but even honest people make a mistake once in a while!

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
662-660-0339

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
October 23, 2012 08:36AM
glad someone is doing this. The last Sn tournament I went to, 18 of us called out one specific player that was tied for the lead. he kept the scorecard the entire day and kept cheating. literally all 18 of us went and told the TD's but they said they couldnt do anything about it because we told them afterwards. Not like we could pause the tournament and go complain.

Jacob Brown
University of Mobile, Mobile Al
October 23, 2012 08:45AM
JBrowntown7 Wrote:
> glad someone is doing this. The last Sn tournament
> I went to, 18 of us called out one specific player
> that was tied for the lead. he kept the scorecard
> the entire day and kept cheating. literally all 18
> of us went and told the TD's but they said they
> couldnt do anything about it because we told them
> afterwards. Not like we could pause the tournament
> and go complain.

It's a silly reason to win an event. Some people have no shame and continue to do it. Even good players who don't even need to cheat still somehow try to pull fast ones on people. I have found it mostly on courses where holes are longer than normal and players are throwing 4, 5, 6, 7's on a few holes. That is where you tend to find the mistakes/Cheating. My two card per group method and addressing it up front in the players meeting has really shed some light on the deal. Kind of sets the tone for "Look Out" we are watching you and I think those guys who think about cheating have second thoughts.
Anonymous User
October 23, 2012 02:06PM
JBrowntown7 Wrote:
> literally all 18 of us went and told the TD's but they said they
> couldnt do anything about it because we told them
> afterwards. Not like we could pause the tournament
> and go complain.

I guess that's 18 idiots. That's y'alls fault. If you suspect a cheater watch the score keeper write down scores, keep track of the running score and check the card every few holes, call out any discrepancies, ask the cheater to pass the card.

Memphis has a few of them
Hamilton, AL has 1
Southaven HAD 1, think he be a reformed cheater now.

Sure there are tons of pencil whippers out there, I see them mainly in the INT. division.
October 23, 2012 03:45PM
Alot of us including me weren't on his card. We just heard people that were in his group say it. And since he was the group right behind us we watched him. Tallied his score then looked at it afterwards and saw it was inaccurate. Did that on just about every hole since we were held up on account of so many people there.

Jacob Brown
University of Mobile, Mobile Al
October 30, 2012 01:52PM
I agree with Doug, multiple score cards per hole is a very easy answer. Makes for a little more tourney expense and a little more paper for the TD to deal with, but if it helps keep people honest, it's worth it.
If you can't get multiple cards at a tourney, keep your own card. Only one type of person would have any issue with someone keeping a second card....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013