Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1993 Worlds Video

Posted by will2003 
1993 Worlds Video
December 05, 2012 12:16PM
Video of the TV broadcast from the 1993 Worlds in Huntsville, AL

[www.youtube.com]

-will
Anonymous User
Re: 1993 Worlds Video
December 05, 2012 05:34PM
Man times have really changed...

Great post Will.
December 13, 2012 10:38PM
I saw lots of people I started out playing with, but never at that level. I remember being beat by Tom Monroe by 25 strokes in a one day tournament and I came in second. Thanks for finding this. Both Becky Powell and Don Wilcheck played Highland Rd Park in Baton Rouge many times. Becky was the first female disc golfer I met who could throw further than me.
I would be she could still out throw Bluff Magee!!!!

Dangerous Don
December 15, 2012 03:57AM
Interesting, but that was terrible and poorly-chosen footage, in my opinion. They highlight the older divisions as though they're the elite divisions and make it look as though disc golfers miss every putt and therefore, the sport is boring. When you have the power of endless film footage and editing, why would you highlight the shortcomings like that? To suck off the old-timers? I think so, but look at how boring it is to watch as a result. Fat, old men missing putts. Sorry if it hurts, but if it makes you feel better, I'm getting to be right there with you (age-wise, that is. I was already good at missing the putts).

The pinnacle of the sport has never been accurately represented on TV, in my opinion, but to be honest, it's unclear as to whether or not the most action-friendly representation would be ratings-friendly anyway, even if it could be realistically, graphically expressed on TV. As a good friend who supports USA water polo recently told me, "maybe it's just not a spectator sport and maybe it never will be, for no other reason than its nature." He might be right, but lack of mainstream popularity is not a condemnation of the sport as a whole.

A lot of people point to the various stigma of the sport, but to me, the stereotypes of weed and hippies, long thought to be a fatal liability, is more of a plus than a minus. At least those things are provocative and interesting. Otherwise, our sport is regarded as being no more significant than tether-ball or horseshoes.

We have to ask ourselves - is this sport really marketable to the masses? Some aren't, but are still great sports, and lack of TV-type appeal doesn't negate that. Ball golf seems successful because it's backed by centuries of tradition, though I really don't think it's any more appealing to the average person than disc golf as far as TV coverage is concerned. Not on its face.

Disc golf, for me, requires imagination at a level that many sports don't have, but the average person can't relate to it. There are a million ways to make a shot, but it just doesn't seem to be a TV sport. Most sports aren't, in my opinion. It's hard to relate or represent the passion for disc golf in easy to understand terms, and with camera angles that delight the senses and everything else that pop-culture loves. All I can do is try to represent what I feel is the dignity of the sport every time I play, some weird Obi Wahn Kenobe of the short, easy holes. LOL. I dream of a format or level of broadcast technology through which the sport's true appeal can be accurately expressed, but I'm not holding my breath. Even in 1080, I suck. Hahaha.
Anonymous User
December 15, 2012 04:35PM
Blueboy your attention span is too short. You should have fast-forwarded to the end like I did. I actually think the end of the recording, showing the Open Top 4 was well done and definitely entertaining enough to watch. I'm going to watch it again in fact.

It was Climo's 4th Worlds Title. The dude was pretty buff back then---he looks like he could kick Swarzeneggar's @ss! Dean Tannock looks the same today as on this video, I guess he has always been 65 years old LOL

Way to go Dean I never got to congratulate you on your 2nd place World's finish in Open. I think I might have been getting my first driver's license that day.
December 15, 2012 07:19PM
I blame the internet and Bluff McGee for the collective human loss of attention span.

Sorry. I was in a diatribe mood and needed an outlet.
December 17, 2012 07:30AM
Thanks, I was a young 31 yr old then. You have to remmeber this was a first back then,not much video (if any)
was attempted before the 93 worlds. Lots,and lots of people told me this video got them hooked on disc golf! Juliana Korver
being one of them. Most of the filming all week was dedicated to Open Men. I would say 80% of the time they follwoed the top
cards around. The footage of the age divisions was not really done until the last day. They just took film as the groups were
playing there last holes. The club spent alot of money for back then to get that filmed (I think it was 4-5 grand) but it was also
televised later on regional sport networks. After that year pretty much almost all worlds were video taped.

Ahhh to be young again....

Roll Tide Roll!!!
December 17, 2012 09:55PM
Loved it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013