Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Stupid Doubles Formats

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Stupid Doubles Formats
December 16, 2012 07:18AM
I think the stupidest doubles format known to humankind is the abominably atrocious "combined score" format.

It's where both players play singles and then their scores are added together. There's absolutely no strategy involved like worst shot or best score format, and one partner can't help the other in combined score. Plus it takes a lot more time than best shot.

Combined score is probably the single most stupid idea ever dreamed up by some clueless TD who didn't think about how using this dumb format would ruin a doubles tournament.

What do y'all think?
Re: Stupid Doubles Formats
December 16, 2012 08:23AM
I would have to agree that combined score is a terrible doubles format...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
December 16, 2012 08:39AM
No... worst shot gets that honor; hands down, talking about a waste of time!!!
December 16, 2012 11:14AM
I don't like worst shot because you play to your worse player. Best shot you play to the best player. The combined score thing makes both player be accountable for the final score. I don't think a full round should be given to this format but when a round is mixed I like this and alternate.
December 16, 2012 03:05PM
At least worst shot has strategy to it, combined is a waste...
December 16, 2012 04:11PM
i think your all wrong; i think the stupid of all stupids was when mr. and ms. kernan decided to play doubles one night when they were in a drunkin stuper and well look what came out. luv ya mikey; just had too. but i do agree that format makes no sense.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2012 04:19PM
My mom always blames that night on the moonshine her uncle gave her. I think she was 15? LOL oh wait we're not from Florida it didn't quite happen that way. In fact combined score is such a dumb format they must have invented it at Florida State!
December 16, 2012 05:37PM
Eric Day Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least worst shot has strategy to it, combined
> is a waste...

This. Combined score is the one format with no strategy.... it isn't doubles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
December 16, 2012 08:27PM
GO NOLES>>----------->> BEAT N. ILL. THAT DON'T EVEN SOUND RIGHT.
December 16, 2012 08:52PM
Combined score and worst shot allow for the greatest scoring spread. I would agree that combined score is basically playing singles. Worst shot makes you think about what holes you can go for and what holes you need to lay up.
December 16, 2012 09:20PM
Tough Shot is better than Worst Shot. When you're in, you're in.
Anonymous User
December 16, 2012 10:21PM
^ That's what she said.
December 17, 2012 12:45AM
Mike, at the SNDC we might do one three-legged round where you and your partner play with one leg tied together like one of those goofy races. LOL
Anonymous User
December 17, 2012 12:14PM
That would still be better than combined score.
December 18, 2012 10:18AM
I am not a fan of alt dubs
December 18, 2012 05:18PM
DOUBLES FORMATS

Best Shot
Best Shot is by far the most popular doubles format. Both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), and then the team chooses which of the resulting lies to continue play from, until the hole is completed.
    *A team may take a reasonable amount of time to pick which lie they want before the 30-second play clock starts.
    *A lie that is picked up without being marked is gone forever; the team must throw from the other lie. If the second lie is picked up, it must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked with a Mini.
    *If the first player throws from the wrong lie, the second player may still throw from the correct lie.
    *In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone, throwing one shot at each lie (essentially playing singles).
Worst Shot
Worst Shot is the most brutal of the doubles formats, and can test the patience of even the best teams. In Worst Shot, both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), and then the competing teams in the group choose which of the subsequent lies will be used, with the aim of making the hole as difficult as possible. The hole is completed once both team members have holed out from the same lie.
    *The 30-second play clock begins once the opposing teams have selected the lie.
    *A lie that is picked up without being marked must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.
    *Any warning or penalty incurred by a player may be chosen to apply to the team, at the opposing teams' discretion.
    *A team found to be giving an opposing team a better lie will be disqualified for un-sportsmanlike behavior.
Tough Shot
Tough Shot is the same as Worst Shot, with the following variation: Once a player on the team has holed out, the team has completed the hole (No need for both players to make the putt).

Alternate Shot
In Alternate Shot, only one sequence of throws is made on each hole. The team selects a player to throw the tee shot at the beginning of the round. The other player then throws from the subsequent lie, and play alternates in that fashion until the round is completed. Alternate Shot is closer to a singles format, where one partner can't bail the other out. If you miss a short putt, chances are good that you'll be driving the next hole.
    *If the wrong player on a team throws, another team must call it immediately, like a foot fault. The team receives a warning, and the correct player throws. Subsequent violations incur a one-throw penalty.
    *For any violation that requires a re-throw (stance violation, provisional throw), the same player throws.
Best Score (Best Disc)
In Best Score (also known as Best Disc), each player plays the hole as they would while playing singles; there are no shared lies. The team score is the best score on the hole by one of its players.
    *The player who is away will always throw first, with this exception: If both players are lying the same number of throws, the team may choose which player throws first.
    *A player must pick up once it is impossible for him to better the team's score. The team incurs a warning for the first violation, and a penalty throw for subsequent violations.
    *In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone.
Combined Score
Each player throws their own disc, and the players scores are added together to make their team score.
    *Using this format, both players have to play steady and consistent to post a great score. If both have birdies, you might have gained a stroke on another team, but if both players have bogies or worse, then your team might have fallen from 1st place to 5th place really fast.
    *The player who is away will always throw first, with this exception: If both players are lying the same number of throws, the team may choose which player throws first.
    *In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone. The lone player has to throw two discs, from the tee-box, and must keep each disc's following throws and scores separate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 05:23PM by Teeple.
December 18, 2012 05:30PM
To me 'Best Score' is the worst format for doubles.
If your partner sucks it up, your score is the only one that counts.

Combined Score - if your partner sucks, you have to count it with your good score.
If you are both good, and both record birdies, you might make a 'Leap' forward in the competition if they only par-out.
December 18, 2012 10:15PM
I believe Best Alternating Score is the purest form of doubles. It's essentially two separate Alternate Shot sequences on each hole. Partners each tee off then always play from their partner's lie switching until each sequence is in the basket. The sequence with the lower score is the team score on that hole. Other than an ace, both partners contribute to every score and have two chances on each hole to get a good score. The only drawback is it takes a little longer to play on big courses because you're always getting discs back to your partner during play.
December 18, 2012 11:08PM
I believe that worst shot is by far the "worst" doubles format. The only thing you do with worst shot is ruin everyones round & sloooowwww play down. It doesn't test your skills. It tests your perseverance. There is no strategy to taking the worst shot every time. You don't even get to choose which shot you take.

However I really like combined score. It is a perfect test of the strength of a team. When there is a weak link you don't win. Choose your partner wisely.
December 19, 2012 06:37AM
I think ALT Shot, Best Shot, And Best score are the only 3 that should ever be used.. Worst shot is possibly the worst idea that has ever been thought up .
Dex
December 19, 2012 08:31AM
Worst shot is just what it says

W-O-R-S-T ---- SUCKS IN THE PUREST FORM!!!

you can never have a better shot than the first one thrown, yeah I know that is where the name comes from

Dex
December 19, 2012 12:13PM
I like that idea cgkdisc. Gonna try that doubles format out soon
December 19, 2012 09:12PM
Combined score and worst shot are the least fun of all the formats. As a TD, I would not consider them an option. Most fun wins!
December 20, 2012 09:32AM
At Arkansas State Doubles this year we did 666 format for 18 holes with Best Shot, Alternate Shot, Best Score.........that recieved good reviews in the end.
When I viewed the scorecards, the alternate shot is what damaged the players scores. They suffered in those 6 holes.

The year before we did Best Shot, Alternate Shot, Worst Shot..........and that created not only a huge back up, but players arguing, throwing a fit, etc . . . . in fact I know two partners that almost lost their friendship over it and can barely play on the same card. Just bad news all around on the worst shot.
December 20, 2012 12:49PM
Worst shot came from John Houck's National Doubles event in Round Rock, Texas... it was part of the mixed format round or 666 as most know it. The 6 holes of worst shot were always on the 6 EASIEST holes on the course... it just validated birdies and putts... it was never intended to be used on ultra-hard holes. When used in that fashion it works well- when used as a whole round format, it is stupid and overkill!!! the format which no one mentioned is Modified Best Shot which the PDGA has been using at Worlds for the last 15 years- it is best shot but you cannot use the SAME players drive 3 times in a row. It means that you have to take at least 6 drives from each player- it works very well at making it a team effort and brings strategy into to play.. used in most parts of the country it seldom seen in SNDG land. It makes it a true time effort without the harsh side side of worst and alternate shot.
December 20, 2012 01:41PM
Combines score used especially for the first round will eliminate numerous teams from even being in the mix. You can't win a tournament the first round but you can knock yourself out of the tournament in one round.

JOhn k
December 20, 2012 01:47PM
How bout just play doubles with RIPT cards?

Terry Zeringue
Dex
December 20, 2012 01:51PM
Zinger, I have you a Zephyrman Zephyr

I will hold on to it till I see you

Happy Holidays

Dex
December 20, 2012 02:07PM
Thank you Dex

Terry Zeringue
December 21, 2012 01:23PM
Modified Best Shot & Best Alternating Score.
These two I think are good doubles formats. Gonna try them both. Thanks!

I agree with you John K. the combined score will separate the teams quickly.

I have run some SNDG Doubles Tournaments with the 666 in this order (Alternate Shot, Worst Shot (6 easy holes), Combined Score).
I like to do this on the 1st round. It immediately separates the teams out, strong to weak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013